Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Meeting Snape part One

Lily quietly opened the door to her bedroom and stepped out into the hall. Everyone was asleep, and the moon was still high up in the sky. Demon whined causing Lily to glare and put a finger to her lips to silence the wolfhound.

Swiftly she tiptoed toward her father’s bedroom and opened the door. The bed was made and everything was sill exactly as he’d left it almost two days ago. Tears welled up in Lily’s eyes, sniffing she walked over to her father’s wardrobe and pulled out his favorite sweater, it was one that Ginny had made for him. She brought it to her face and sniffed it. Her daddy’s scent was still there, a small comfort.

“What are you doing Lily?” Albus asked.

Lily practically jumped out of her skin she was so scared. Her older brothers stood there in their pajamas watching their little sister clutch their father’s favorite sweater.

Al cautiously entered the bedroom until he stood beside his little sister. “I miss him to, Lil.”

Lily silently cried and clung to the sweater like her very life depended on it.

James came up to her and knelt down so they were at eye level. “Come on Lil, everything’s gonna be ok. You heard Aunt Hermione. She and uncle Filius, and Aunt Minerva won’t rest until he’s back to normal.”

Lily locked eyes with James and sniffed.

“I promise.” James said.

Lily turned to Albus.

“I promise too.”

Lily reached out and pet Demon who had silently followed the children into his master’s room.

“Come on, we should get some rest.” James said quietly.

Lily turned and climbed onto her father’s bed. Demon barked softly and leapt up after her. Turning around a couple of times in a circle he lay down beside Lily, content to just stay there with her.

Lily placed her thumb in her mouth and closed her eyes.           

James shook his head and sighed.           

Al just shrugged and climbed in next to Lily. “Come on Jamie, you know you want to.”           

James snorted but climbed up and laid himself down beside Demon.           

Al stared up at the ceiling for a few moments then he looked down and watched Lily sleep beside him. “Do you think she’ll ever start talking again?” He asked James.

James kept his eyes closed but spoke, “Honestly? I don’t know it’s been year Al.”           

Al sighed. “I can’t believe she just stopped talking though. It’s unreal.”           

“We’ve had this conversation before.” James said.           

“Yeah I know.” Al sighed again.            

James opened his eyes and sat up so he was looking down at Albus. “Can you really blame her though? I mean she was with mum when…when it happened.”           

“No. I can’t blame her.”            

James sighed and lay back down. “Go to sleep Al.”           

 “Ok, night James.”           

“Night, Al.”           

Soon all three Potters were asleep.                 

HP******

Hermione and Ron woke the kids up early so they could double check their things. The ministry official was to arrive before noon. Al and James muttered and glared the whole time they packed while Lily just silently packed up the things she was bringing and walked around the house like she was haunted.            

But everyone was used to that by now, unfortunately.           

“Ron, Snape has no idea what these kids have been through,” Hermione snapped as they waited for the MO to arrive. “He’s not the type of person to be able to handle them, especially Lily!” She added vehemently.            

 “Hermione, there is nothing we can do right now.” Ron said sadly. “You have no idea how long it took us to convince them to let us keep Harry. They wanted to send him off to St. Mungos!”           

Hermione glared and started cursing again.           

“Rose and Hugo have asked if they can visit them too, luv.” Ron informed his wife.           

“Let’s just see how this falls out Ron.” Hermione said darkly.           

 “Alright, luv,” Ron sighed and glanced up and noticed Lily standing there looking at them. “Hi princess, are you alight?”           

Lily slowly walked over to her uncle and hugged him tightly.           

Ron kissed his nieces head and hugged her back.            

“We’re ready Aunt Hermione, Uncle Ron.” Al said sadly.           

Hermione smiled at her nephews and motioned for them to come into the den. The boys piled their stuff next to Lily’s and slowly approached the sofa and sat down beside their uncle. “Now boys, be on your best behavior while with your grandfather. He’s a very strict person so it’s best to stay on his good side,” Hermione said.           

“Like the git has a good side.” Ron muttered under his breath.           

 “Ron!” Hermione snapped.           

 “Sorry.” Ron turned so he was facing the boys. “Al, most likely your grandfather will be really strict with you because you look so much like your old man. Don’t take it to heart ok, you show him respect…he’ll most likely lay off you.”           

“Ron!” Hermione hissed.           

“It’s true Hermione; I’m not going to send these kids over there only to have them totally taken by surprise.”           

Hermione sighed.           

Ron turned his gaze to James. “James, being the little prankster you are you will defiantly be on his watch list. Be good, don’t do any pranks or cause any trouble.” Ron suddenly turned red and eyed him sternly. “Don’t tease your brother and sister and absolutely NO SPIT BOMBS!”           

James blushed. ‘It was only that one time.’           

Al snickered.           

“That goes for you too young man,” Hermione said sternly. “It’s in your best interest to behave yourself. Understood?”           

“Yes Aunt Hermione.” Al said.           

Ron turned his eyes to Lily. “Lily, most likely your grandfather will be very hard on you too, because of…your lack of communication. So…just be a good girl alright.”           

 Lily nodded.           

Demon barked.           

“Lily wants to take Demon with her.” James said.           

“I don’t know,” Hermione began.           

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK!           

Everyone went silent.            

‘Pop!’ Kreacher appeared before them. “Mr. Shacklebolt is here.”           

“Thank you Kreacher.” Ron said.           

Al turned to face the old house elf. “I’ll miss you Kreacher.”           

Kreacher smiled gently. “Kreacher will miss the Masters and Mistress as well.”           

Demon barked.           

“Yes, yes and the oversized rug too,” Kreacher muttered.           

Lily smiled and waved to Kreacher. Kreacher smiled back and walked up to his Mistress. “If Mistress is ever in need just calls me.”           

Lily got down off her uncle’s lap and hugged the old elf.           

Kreacher coughed and left again with a ‘pop’.           

Mr. Shacklebolt entered to den and smiled sadly at the family. “Hello everyone, I wish I could be here for a happier reason.”           

“Hello, Kingsley.” Hermione said politely.           

Kingsley sighed and glanced at the kids. “You all ready to go?”           

Al turned to his aunt and uncle, “Can’t you come with us? Please.”           

“I’m sorry Al, we can’t.” Hermione embraced her youngest nephew and gently kissed his head. “But we will visit you as soon as we can. I promise.”           

James gave a ‘humph’ and went to grab his bags.           

Al hugged his aunt before turning to grab his things too.           

Lily trembled slightly before going to grab her own bag and Demon’s leash. She wouldn’t leave without him.           

Kingsley moved over to Hermione and Ron, “Do you really think Snape’ll let them keep the dog?”           

“I hope so,” Hermione said quietly. “Lily needs Demon; she’s very dependent on him.”           

Kingsley nodded. “Well, we should be off. Come on, lads, little lady.” Kingsley bowed slightly to Lily. “We’ll be going by floo powder. Have any of you used it before?”           

“Al and I have,” James said. “Lily has too, but only with dad or…or mum.”           

Kingsley nodded, “Very well, here is your floo powder, boys.” Al and James each took a handful.  “Lily, would you mind it if I carried you through?”           

Lily shook her head.           

“I can take Demon,” Al said to his little sister.           

Lily handed Albus the leash.           

“Ok the address is Snape residence, Spinner’s End.”           

James and Al looked at each other and swallowed.            

“Do you want me to go first?” Kingsley asked quietly.           

“Please.” Al said softly.           

Kingsley smiled gently and ruffled up Albus’s hair. He stepped into the fireplace and nodded once to Ron and Hermione. “Hold on tightly, lass.”           

Lily closed her eyes and gripped Kingsley hard.           

“Snape Residence, Spinner’s End,” in a burst of green flames they were gone.           

Al waved once to his aunt and uncle before leading Demon into the fire place with him and said loudly, “Snape Residence, Spinner’s End!” then he too was gone.           

James being the last merely walked forward and repeated what the other’s had done. “See us soon. Please.” Then he was gone.           

Hermione gasped and finally broke down sobbing. Ron gently held his wife whispering they’d be fine over and over again. 

HP*****            

Kingsley landed easily in the small study. “Severus, Severus are you here?”           

“Where else would I be, Shacklebolt?” A silky voice asked.           

Lily trembled and kept her face hidden in Kingsley’s robes.           

“Where are the other two?” Snape asked as he remained seated where he was.           

Kingsley looked around. The study looked like someone had had a duel in it. Snape himself looked like his normal greasy self except for some dark bags under his eyes. There was an empty bottle of whiskey and a half filled glass beside him. “You’re drunk.”           

“Not that it is any of your concern, Shacklebolt but I was drunk.” Snape sneered.           

Unfortunately Lily had chosen then to look up. She locked eyes with Snape for a moment before she hid her face again.           

Just then Albus and Demon fell through the fire place closely followed by James.           

“Ah, here they are.” Snape said darkly.           

James glared and got to his feet.           

Demon growled and bared his teeth at the man that smelled of death and hurt.           

“What…is …that…thing?” Snape growled while glaring at Demon.           

“That’s Demon, sir.” Albus said quietly.           

Snape locked eyes with Albus before sneering. “You’re the spitting image of your father.”           

Albus felt anger fill him.           

“Hey lay off our dad, he’s the greatest man there is.” James snapped angrily.           

Snape’s eyes narrowed, “Oh really? Let me enlighten you of something Mr. Potter. Your father is an arrogant, attention seeking fool. And it is no wonder he is in the position he is in now. I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner.”           

James glared and was about to say something when the whiskey bottle shattered. Quickly he turned and stared at Lily. She was shaking like a leaf. “Now look what you’ve done, you git.” James didn’t care that he was being disrespectful. He was scaring his baby sister.           

Albus glared to and went over to Lily. “It’s ok Lil,” he said softly, “Just calm down ok?”           

Kingsley glared at Snape.           

Snape glared at James and seemed ready to hex him when finally he seemed to calm himself. “Leave this room, and go up the stairs. You are not to go into any of the rooms except for the one with the door open. You are to STAY THERE or you will suffer the consequences. Am I understood?”           

James seemed ready to argue but Albus elbowed him and shook his head.            

Kingsley gently pulled Lily away from him and set her down onto the ground. “Lily, go with your brothers ok?”           

Lily looked like she’d rather do anything but, but she slowly nodded her head and motioned with her hand for Demon to come with her.            

Panting, the large dog trotted over to her and licked her hand.           

Albus took Lily’s hand and gently tugged her away toward the door.           

Once they were gone Snape exploded. “Take…them…back…now!”            

“Severus, whether you like it or not they are your grandchildren. And right now they need you to let them stay here. Not give them a hard time!” Kingsley said.           

“I don’t want them. I didn’t want their father, I don’t want them. I just want to be left alone!” Snape snapped. Glaring he stomped over to his chair and sat himself down.           

“Severus…they have to stay here. It’s the law.”           

Snape glared.           

“There are some things you should know about your grandchildren.”           

“Don’t call them that.”           

“Lily especially,” Kingsley went on as though Snape hadn’t spoke. “She doesn’t speak, Severus.”           

Snape blinked. “She’s mute?”           

“She just stopped talking. Healers say it’s because of her mother’s death. She hasn’t said one word in over a year.” Kingsley said sadly.           

Snape closed his eyes and pinched his nose, ‘Just what I need a traumatized child.’

“How old is she?”           

“She’s seven, Albus is nine, and James is ten going on eleven.”           

Snape sighed, “How long?”           

“I beg your pardon?”           

“How long must I keep these brats under my roof?”           

“Until Harry is cured,” Kingsley said darkly.           

Which had better be soon,’ Snape thought forebodingly.

Kingsley sighed and turned to leave, “And one more thing. Leave the dog alone. Those kids need him. He’s all they’ve got left seeing as you don’t seem to give a damn.” With one final dark look Kingsley left the Snape home.           

 Snape glared at the spot where Kingsley had been then he looked up toward the ceiling. Why did some higher being hate him so much?