Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Snape realizes that he does not want to part with Harry. Thanks a lot to Celeste for her help.
Chapter 13

The rest of the week passed with out any major incident, Wednesday they started again with Defense from second year and Snape decided to end it on Thursday. Harry used the bike and broom everyday, he also swam. On Friday Harry was already seated in the study room after a hearty breakfast when Snape entered.

“What are we going to do today, Professor?”

Snape turned to look at the changed child, was this the same Potter that had requested Dumbledore’s frog card at the station? Was this the same child trusting him? He had so many things to do…

“Today I need you to start on your pending assignments, Mr. Potter.”

“You won’t be here with me. Do you need to brew? May I help? Sir”

“One question at a time, Mr. Potter. I won’t be here with you, but I trust that you can work on your own, if you have any doubt you may ask me later. I do not need to brew anything just now, but my lab cupboards are full with Madam Pomfrey’s requests. So I have to prepare them for transportation and take them to Hogwarts.”

“I can help you with that, sir. I have finished with Charms, Defense and Transfiguration homework, I have plenty of time to do the rest… later. I will be very careful…”

Snape look at the child, was this the ‘bonding’ that Albus talked about constantly? The shameless child questioning his decisions, and he thinking that it was reasonable?

“I need to make some arrangements first, Mr. Potter, stay studying until lunch time. After lunch we’ll get the potions vials ready and we’ll take them to Hogwarts.”

“Yes, sir.”

“I want to see good work when I review it, Mr. Potter or you will have to repeat the assignments.”

“Yes, sir.”

After Lunch they went to the Laboratory.

The tables were full with vials of different sizes and colors.

“We have to place the vials in these containers first, Mr. Potter.”

The containers were like serving trays full of little holes. Each vial fit in one hole with out matter of the size. The trays then were stacked five deep in, boxes.

When they finished, they had 10 full boxes.

“Should I take the boxes to the parlor, sir?”

“Yes, but we are not going to use the floo for this, Harry. Potions are not stable enough to go through the floo. They may mix and explode and the results would be terrible.”

“Are you apparating with them then, sir?”

“No. I could only take one tray each time, I would be exhausted by the end. No, Mr. Potter we are going to take this boxes to Hogwarts the Muggle way. We are going to use a cart and horse method to take them to town and from there we will take a train to Hogsmeade.”

“Are we going to go all the way to London, sir?”

“No. Potter, there is a small station one hour from here, the Hogwarts Express has a connection there. It’s going to be a long excursion, Mr. Potter, you may decide to stay here instead.”

“I want to go, sir. If I stay I wouldn’t be able to fly or ride the bike would I?”

“Certainly not, Potter.”

“I’ll go then, sir.”

“I’m glad to see that you prefer my company over a boring afternoon here, Mr. Potter. If you want I may arrange for Minerva to come here to watch you, you would be able to fly with her here.”

“I don’t need a baby sitter, Professor. I can amuse myself alone, thank you very much, I have books and games. But I want to go with you.”

Snape was glad to hear that.

The carriage arrived at one. A cart, two horses and an old Muggle. The man remained seated in the cart while Harry and Snape carried the boxes. They were bulky, but not heavy. The cart’s bed was filled with the 10 boxes. Snape said that they shouldn’t be stacked. When they finished there was only one place left to sit and it was beside the driver. Harry’s face fell when he realized that.

“You said I could go…”

“I know, Potter, but there is no place. I will call Minerva…”

“Couldn’t you make some wizard space, sir?”

“No, Child, I can’t. I’ll come for you once I’m in Hogwarts we may have dinner at Hogsmeade…”

“The towns isn’t far, sir, I could walk or go on my bike… Please, I want to go…”

“Mister, if you want to bring your boy, I can enlarge this seat...”

Harry smiled and looked expectantly at his Guardian. The boy was worst than the weather!

Snape only nodded, the man got down and fiddled with the wood plank and then there was place for three.

Harry was so happy, he would go with Snape and the driver had said he was Snape’s kid! Maybe he needed to see a shrink!

Harry enjoyed the forest during the day. He and Snape were silent, glad to be together, but confused by the gladness, the driver did talk.

He said that the Manor had always been a mystery for the town. It had always been inhabited, they thought it was there before the town. But the Driver didn’t believe it. They get provisions in town, but they would never mingle with the town’s people. (Snape had the funniest picture of his pure blood Grand parents mingling with a town full of Muggles!) The Driver wasn’t sure what happened, it was only hearsay, but almost 15 years ago something happened it was not a fire, but a lot of people said that they heard an explosion, the place didn’t looked ruined, but people just come during Summer or Winter, he said that he hoped than Snape and his son would stay for a while, he said that the town was a nice place to raise a family.

“We are only staying for the summer, Sir, I work in a Boarding School and we are here only during the Holidays.” He didn’t correct the man about Harry not being his son. Their relationship was nobody’s business, least of all not this old busybody’s.

“In that case you should come also in winter, to spend Christmas… the forest is beautiful with the snow, we have a Christmas fair in the town and a big tree in the middle of the village, in Center Hall. You’ll see that we are simple, welcoming people.”

“We still have not made plans for the Holidays. Thank you for giving us options.” Snape felt Harry scoot closer.

It seemed that the old man liked to hear the sound of his own voice and the boy had nothing to say.

He even talked about the monster of the forest as Harry was starting to call it. The village thought it was a bear. They had tried to hunt it and had followed the footprints for a while, but they couldn’t find it. It must have a very big hunting territory, but it usually return to these parts once a month, in time for the full moon. Cattle and sheep were guarded heavier during those nights.

He told them that he had really liked their company when they arrived at the station, and that he would gladly take them back to the Manor once they returned.

They didn’t have to wait long for the train to arrive. Snape had good timing the boxes were placed in one of the train cars and they left.

Harry was chatting happily in the train, a complete different child from the one that came with Snape almost three weeks ago, he talked about the fields and the trees, and the sun and his owl. And even speculate about the monster/werewolf/bear in the forest. Snape hoped he was not getting the crazy idea to hunt it down to discover what it really was. He even asked Snape to tell him more about the potions they were taking to Hogwarts.

They changed trains and arrived at Hogwarts at almost 5 in the afternoon. Hagrid was waiting for them in carriages that moved alone. Harry thought that it was magic, even though Hagrid talked to them.

Madam Pomfrey was glad to see them, she had a lot of stocking to do and this was the fist shipment.

Usually Snape stayed to brew at Hogwarts, so all this boxing and unpacking was not necessary.

She asked Harry to sit on the examination table, she would check his progress. She ran a lot of diagnostics and congratulated them on how well he was. She said that Harry had gained three pounds and he looked healthier than ever. She asked him to keep on taking the supplement until the end of the month. Then they would change it for another one. Snape was moving the boxes to Madam Pomfrey’ stock room.

“Your are gaining muscles also child. Are you exercising?”

“Yes, ma’am, I’m riding a bike and swimming and also, I started flying…”

“That is great child, do not overtax yourself.”

“Professor Snape doesn’t allow me to get overly tired, Ma’am, he asks me to rest and some times I have to take naps.”

“I’m glad to hear that.”

“Well child, you are fine, just take this cream for your scrapes, keep them clean and apply it every day… They will be ok in a couple of days.”

“Scrapes?” Harry had not heard when Snape went back to the room.

“Scrapes, Mr. Potter?”

“I was sliding beside the pond, Professor, it’s nothing…”

“We have talked about scrapes and nothing, Mr. Potter. Let me see. Turn around.”

“But I’m fine, sir…”

“Now. Potter.”

Snape examined the scrapes, they were not too deep, he placed the salve over them and then he smacked the child lightly telling him to get dressed.

In that moment Professor Dumbledore entered the infirmary.

“Oh my boys! I’m glad you are here, have you finished? Will you join us for Dinner?”

“That was the plan, Albus.”

“Splendid, I will let the elves know about setting two more places. That’s splendid!”

***

Seated in the Great Hall on the Staff table, Dumbledore watch their interaction.

“How has your week been? I see that you look healthy, Harry.”

“That is an improvement. Considering that the last time you saw him he was green. I do expect that after this week’s outing, Mr. Potter won’t end having to take anti-vomiting potions and bland meals…”

“Were you sick, Harry?”

“A little… Sir”

“Mr. Potter” Snape gave him one of his scary looks, he could not disguise the truth.

“More that a little, sir, I had a terrible stomach ache. It lasted for part of the next day.”

“May be the chicken was not well cooked, didn’t you find it a little too spicy Minerva?”

“The chicken was all right Albus, it must have been the combination, of the chili meat and the three chocolate cake…”

“But the cake was great! I’m sorry you were sick, my boy. Perhaps Madam Pomfrey, you could give Harry a digestive potion to drink before meals? That way Harry’s stomach will stay settled.”

“I do not condone eating up to indigestion, Albus…”

“C’mon, Poppy, it was just a little too much.”

“Severus, we might combine something, at least that way the child wouldn’t have to suffer through emptying his stomach.”

“We’ll see, Poppy, thank you, maybe, Mr. Potter, would learn to stop eating on time.” He removed a platter of chocolate-chip cookies that was too close to Harry. The boy had already eaten 3.

Harry felt indignant and happy at the same time. He had this adult caring for him 24/7.

Harry was very tired, the boxes had not been heavy but he had to carry them long distances. Snape was opposed to levitating them. Hagrid, Snape and Harry had carried them inside the school and then up to the Hospital. He finished eating and heard the adults talking, he was comfortable with them, and he placed his arms over the table, laid his head on them and closed his eyes, only for a moment. He may count before opening his eyes, he would count to 10, he was asleep before reaching number 4.

“It seems that, Mr. Potter, decided that our conversation was boring.”

Minerva moved her wand and Harry’s chair transformed into a comfortable couch. Snape looked at his watch.

“It’s almost his bed time and we had a tiring day. I guess it’s time for us to go home. May we use your floo, Albus?” It was closer than the dungeons.

“It will be extremely disagreeable for the child to floo while asleep, even if you hold him tight, Severus. You should leave him here. He will be coming back tomorrow for our outing any way.”

“We may transform his clothes for the night and you may bring him a change tomorrow morning.” Continued Minerva.

“I won’t leave him asleep in that couch, Albus.”

“Of course not, Severus, I meant that he may sleep in the Tower, on his bed.”

“I do not want the child waking up alone in a strange place.”

“I would not call his room in the Tower a strange place, Severus, it has been his room since two years ago.”

“I know he is used to sleep there, but he is not supposed to wake there during the Holidays…”

“If it would make you feel better, Severus, he may sleep in the infirmary. I will be there, I can watch him.” Poppy was finding Snape’s reactions funny.

“I won’t go while the child is asleep, I won’t leave him.”

“If you want you may sleep with him in the Tower…” Said Minerva.

“Or choose a bed in the infirmary…”

“For crying aloud people! If you are so insistent, we’ll stay in my quarters. I would appreciate it if you lend him some pajamas, Madam.”

“Then that is settled. I’ll help you carry Harry to bed and we can have a small game of poker, we have missed you, Severus.” Albus stood up.

“I am perfectly capable of carrying my ward to bed, thank you very much, Albus. I will come back shortly, and you better have cash, I am not in the mood for receiving your notes of charge.”

Snape carried the boy. The child felt heavier now. He was glad, maybe by the end of the Summer Harry would be too tall and heavy to be carried like this. Those meddling crazy people. Didn’t they realize how traumatic would be for the boy to wake up in a strange room? How long would it take his mind to realize that he was in Gryffindor tower? Or the infirmary? And after that to realize he was alone and that Snape had abandoned him? Fulfilling his nightmares!

Snape placed the boy on his own bed. The dungeon was not ready for any guest. He did have a guest room, but it did not even have a bed. It was used as additional storage place for potions ingredients and books. Snape had never had a guest here. He had a comfortable sofa on his sitting room. And had allowed some homesick first years to sleep there, once or twice. No one else.

Snape was far too tall to sleep on the sofa. So he transfigured an additional bed in his room.

He sat the boy in the bed. Harry opened his eyes.

“Harry, let me take your clothes away, here… put your arm here, that’s it. Now go back to sleep, we are at Hogwarts, you are safe, we are here. I’m with you.”

Potter looked around with lost eyes, looked at the bed and allowed the Potion Master to tuck him in without protest.

Snape stood a little longer, but the boy did not even stirred. He placed the distress wards over the room and went back to his colleagues. He would be able to come back if the boy needed him.

 

They played poker and then dominos. He drank a little too much Fire-whiskey. The lunatics started planning Harry’s birthday party for next Saturday. Snape said that he and Harry had somewhere to go on the 31st.

Snape took the longest way back to his quarters. All in all Snape didn’t regret having to stay in the castle. He had been surprised of how adamant he had been about not leaving the child for one night. When had this happened?

He had accepted to keep the child from danger for the summer. Just for the summer. Until other arrangements were made. He knew he was doing a good job. Madam Pomfrey was saying so, the boy was healthy and gaining weight. The child was learning and doing his summer assignments. He had been good for the boy. He would only have to do it for 5 more weeks.

But when he thought that at the start of the new term he would be ward free he felt a blow in his stomach. He should feel relieved. After only 3 weeks he had felt like a Crocodile defending her babies… his baby! He was not leaving Harry alone at the castle!

In two months time it would be like cutting a limb.

He reminded himself that he had done it for his love of Lilly.

But her child was so lovable! Mischief and all.

Snape felt so drunk.

But what about the child? Harry had rejection issues and had attached to Snape as a last resort. But did he really like his Potions Professor? Given a chance would he stay with him?

Now he was like a kitten that did not want to stay alone. He was afraid of being rejected, that was why he had not really gotten into trouble. He was comfortable talking back in jest and questioning his flying time and his chores. But at the first sign of anger from Snape he was scared of being send away. The boy had not consciously disobeyed knowing that the consequences would not be rejection.

He should do that soon and know with out doubt that regardless of the punishment, Snape would not send him away. How would each of them react?

Snape knew that he wouldn’t find any wandering students, as the only one in the castle was asleep in his bed in the dungeons. But he needed to walk and to think. He needed to talk to Albus and find out who were the man’s candidates to keep Harry. He would have to help the Old man in that task or the boy would be sent to live with the Witch that owned the candy and chocolate house. At least he would be fattened up before being eaten.

Who could the candidates be? Snape recalled the integrants of the Order of the Phoenix, the ones alive at least. Most of the members were single, and were Aurors, he could imagine Mad Eye Moody as guardian, and he would turn the child paranoid with his ‘Constant Vigilance’… Shakelbolt, the man was married and had a small brood not unlike the Weasleys, but his wife schooled them at home. Harry wouldn’t adapt to that kind of life. The Weasleys were already out of the equation. Lupin?

Would Dumbledore consider him for Harry? The ministry would never approve… The ministry was not being informed about Harry’s change of guardians.

Lupin had been talking with Dumbledore, he even know that Dumbledore would offer him a place at Hogwarts. What better place for him to watch over Harry if he was going to be the child’s new guardian.

Lupin had been a quiet studious child, Snape could have liked him with out Potter and Black. Even with his furry little problem. He could be good for Harry, if he got a steady work and a place to live, he had tales about the child’s father to tell.

Was Lupin going to be Dumbledore’s choice?

Why should they leave that choice to the Old man when he had placed Harry with the Dursleys in the first place?

Choosing between the Dungeon Bat and one of his father’s friends… The boy wouldn’t hesitate. The child would be all right.

Snape knew it was temporary, since the beginning, that was why he had appointed himself, why did it make his heart ache? He was a grown man with a dark past and a dangerous future.

He was a grown man that did not need a guest room.

He went back to his Dungeon. Albus had said that they would leave at 10, they would take a train at Kings Cross. Harry would have time to choose the colors he wanted in his new room and to have a good breakfast.

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
I hope you like this chapter. Please let me know. LL