Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks a lot to Celeste for her help. LL
Chapter 2

Harry felt full of air, about to burst, he ran out and ran around the castle until he felt that he was not bursting any more.

He sat in the floor and saw some birds fly by, he wished to fly away, far away where no one would know him. Would his broom be strong enough to fly south with the birds? He cried until he felt dry inside. It was a warm day but the air felt cold in the tower. He was only wearing the thin pajama…. He started to feel hungry, but he was not ready to go back yet.

+++

He was found one hour later in the astronomy tower by Snape. The black cloaked man saw the boy seated on the floor holding his knees. Snape always enjoyed the look from the tower, he walked pass Harry and asked with out looking at him.

 “Is your tantrum over, Mr. Potter?”

“It was not a tantrum. Sir.” Harry pouted, then he sighed and said "There are things that can not be changed. I have learned to live with that. I shouldn't have hoped for a change. It's always the same.”

“Did some one else try to help you with your relatives situation, Mr. Potter?” Harry was still too emotional to care to whom he was talking to. So he said.

“At school, a very long time ago, a teacher saw some welts, I didn’t say anything, I knew I shouldn't, but she called child services. My relatives talked to the school, they insisted that I was clumsy and that it had been an accident, they asked me and I had to say I had fallen down, she lost her job. Nothing changed, I was locked in the cupboard for a week, they feed me once a day and allowed me to go to the bathroom.”

Snape just looked at him impassive, but not sneering.

“All I ever wanted is a place to sleep, some food, time to play, clothes that fit! I do not mind the chores... There you have it, you thought that I had an easy life. Didn’t you? Well I don't, sir, you can laugh at me now.” Snape though it was good if Potter could return to being cheeky.

“It’s not laughing matter, Mr. Potter. Any child deserves better than what your relatives gave you. “

“I stopped hoping a long time ago, sir. I am sorry, I left the meeting like that. Ron's parents are really nice. I wish I could live with them, I know I am a risk for them...I will apologize to them and to Professor Dumbledore and the rest. I know your intentions were good even if there was no way out, sir.”

“If you have calmed down now you should look for them. They were worried about you, Mr. Potter. It took me almost an hour to find you here. They must still be looking.”

“I'm sorry. “

“Professor Dumbledore is going to communicate with your relatives, Mr. Potter.”

“Thanks, but I do not believe that it would make any difference, sir, just tell them that I know about the money my parents left them...”

“He would inform them not to pick you up at the train station tomorrow, Mr. Potter.” He continued ignoring the interruption.

“Where am I going, professor?”

“You should have stayed in the reunion, Mr. Potter, you must know that we were determined to help you, you won’t go back to your relatives this summer, you will go somewhere else where you would be safe, you will not know where until you get there for safety reasons. You will take the train with your schoolmates, Mr. Potter, but you should not discuss it with your little friends. You will be met at King’s Cross station by your temporary guardian.. ”

“Temporary, whom is he, sir?”

“Temporary until better arrangements could be secured. You'll know in time, Mr. Potter. Now go and get your things ready. I am sure Madam Pomfrey would appreciate it if you returned the infirmary’s pajama.”

+++

Harry didn’t know what to think. He was not going back to the Dursleys. That should be enough to be happy. He would like to see their faces when they learned about the money that wouldn't come any more, he knew they would regret that, but he knew he would be hurt to realize that his not coming back would be good news for them.

He packed his trunk with his books and clothes, he would take Hedwig’s cage to the owlery to pick her up. He was scared, who would be his new guardian? What if that someone didn’t like him? He guessed that this time he would be allowed to fly his broom.

He had apologized to Ron's parents first, as they were in the infirmary when he returned to give the pajama back to Madam Pomfrey. Mrs. Weasley hugged him and cried. He could only say ‘I’m sorry’. She cleaned the tears but they kept coming.

“Harry, you know that we love you. I wish you could come with us. But all will be right now. Owl us if you have any problem.”

“Yes, ma'am.”

Madam Pomfrey had not been that easy to appease, she lectured him on leaving the meeting like that, and running bare footed through the castle. He didn’t tell her about being in the astronomy tower. She insisted on running a complete scan and then gave him some foul tasting vials to drink.

His Head of house only wished him a nice summer and reminded him to do his homework, she did not tell him who would be his guardian.

He saw Professor Dumbledore last, he felt ashamed for his outburst, but the old man accepted the apology and told him that he was also sorry, as he was the one who decided to leave him with his relatives.

“I though that as your family, they would take good care of you and give you a home. You do not have to worry now my child. You deserve a happy childhood.”

Harry accepted a lemon candy. “Can you tell me who is going to be my guardian now, Professor?” The old man looked at him while he took a lemon sherbet.

“No, Harry, your new guardian asked us to keep it a secret, for security sake. He will meet you at King-Cross, he will arrive once your friends have departed. Leave the terminal with them, but do not wander at the station. You will be able to write them later, once you are settled, but do not mention your change of dwellings until your guardian allows you to.”

“But If I don’t know… How will I be able to recognize him, sir?”

“He will find you, Harry. And…” Dumbledore’s eyes sparkled. “He will give you my chocolate frog card. That way you will know him. Promise me that you would not go looking for trouble, and we’ll make sure that trouble won’t find you.”

“I promise. You do know where he will take me, Sir,  don’t you?”

“Certainly, child, I will visit you there next Saturday, I may bring Professor McGonagall with me too. This is for your trip,”-the old man gave him a cardboard box, Harry opened it and saw it was full to the brim with goodies. ”You may share with your friends if you want. Now stop worrying, you will have a good summer, you will be well taken care of.”

“See you later, Headmaster. Thank you for the treats.”

+++

After a rather restless night, Harry got on the train with his friends, he wished he could stay in the castle and explore. At least he had to look forward to a summer away from the Dursleys. He shared the box with his friends and they played exploding snap. Hermione told him that she would go to France with her parents for the Summer, and asked him to write her. Ron asked him to write if he needed another rescue, he could arrange it with his brothers. Harry just smiled, happy to know that his friends cared for him, he had not told them about the change in his residence.

Dumbledore asked him not to look for trouble… Harry sighed, it seemed too good to be true, he was scared that the Dursleys would come to pick him up. He couldn't tell his friends about his new guardian, he didn't know who was him or where he was going. He did not like to keep secrets from them. They arrived too soon to London, and minutes later they were all in the station. Hermione left with her family. And Ron left with all his brothers and sister. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley hugged him and told him to write.

Harry pulled his trunk to a wall and sat on it. Hedwig was inside her cage and could feel that he was nervous.

He was worried, what if no one come? Would he be able to get to the platform and on the train back to Hogwarts? Should he send Hedwig to Professor Dumbledore asking him, how long should he wait? He emptied his pockets, he had some Muggle money, not enough for a taxi, may be some snacks.... He still had some chocolates in the box that Dumbledore gave him. He wished that he would not have long to wait.

Hedwig hooted quietly inside her cage beside him.

“I can only hope this is for the best girl, we won’t be stuck at Aunt Petunia’s house any more, maybe you will be able to fly around, and catch your food. This Summer I won’t have to stash food in my room for fear of being starved. If you don’t like it where I’m being taken, you can always go to Hogwarts, remember that Ron and his family are not going to be at their home this Summer. That’s a surprise for him, his parents are taking him and his brothers and sister to Egypt to visit Bill, the oldest Weasley. For a while I thought that we could go and live with them, it could have been fun, but… I am dangerous you see… people must be careful when I am near…

‘You are not dangerous, child, you are in danger…”

Harry turned to the familiar voice and tried to recognize the person standing beside him.

It had sounded like Professor Snape with out the sneer, but it did not look like him… this person was wearing black jeans and boots, also a white shirt with a leather jacket, his hair was tied behind. And he was wearing dark glasses.

Harry just stared open mouthed.

“I’m sure your bird will love the place where we are going. C’mon we have a train to catch…”

“Who are you?”

“Potter, I don’t have time for games….you know who I am…”

“You can’t be…Where are your robes? Professor Dumbledore said that whom ever came for me would give me… something….” It was not smart to say what. “I won’t move until you give it to me…” What if someone had drank polyjuice and was pretending to be Snape?

“Potter, we have a train to get on to, this is no place for antics….”

“I don’t know you….” Harry was scared, what if he was kidnapped? No one would know in at least a week. “Get close to me and I will cry for help…! Harry saw that there were station policemen near. He could shout and run to them.

Snape looked angry, Dumbledore’s stupid spy games, as if it was so difficult to abduct this child from a train station? He might spell him quiet and shrink his things, the owl could be donated to the Zoo… and then all trace will be lost of the annoying boy-that-lived. He put his hand inside his jacket pocket and produced a smiling card of Albus Dumbledore, he slapped it strongly in Harry’s hand.

“There, are you happy?”

Harry looked at the card carefully, it was one of the chocolate frogs, and he remembered that he had not asked for this specific card, we had only asked for what the Headmaster had sent. So it was all right. But…Snape….he hated him. He knew now what the phrase out of the frying pan and into the fire meant. This was a joke, how could they…? Knowing that resistance was futile he pocketed the card.

Harry stood up and got hold of the cage. “Where are we going?”

Snape got hold of the cart that had Harry’s trunk and started walking the station, he only looked back for a moment to be sure that the boy with the caged owl was following. It looked like he was looking for a platform, they arrived to the last one and there Snape asked a porter to help him place the trunk on the train. And after showing him the tickets, the porter escorted them to a carriage. Harry was speechless, he couldn’t believe it. The Greasy Git was out of his vampire’s clothes and still managed to look menacing. Deep inside Harry realized that he’d known that Snape was the one that was going to pick him up… In the meeting he was the only one that had not looked at him with pity. Harry knew that Madam Pomfrey, Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore stayed at Hogwarts and he was not supposed to stay there. The Weasleys were ruled out at the meeting. So the only one left was his hated potions professor.

Once in the carriage Harry looked outside the window for a while it was his second trainride of the day and he got bored. Snape had taken a book out of his jacket and was reading.

Harry wished that he had his quiditch books, but they were inside his trunk.

He tried to close his eyes and sleep. He didn’t know how long the train ride would take. The noise of the tracks accompanied by the silence inside the carriage were too much to let him sleep. He wondered if Ron knew by now that his family had won the wizard lottery and that he would go to Egypt to visit his brother? It was nice that nice things happen to nice people.

Ron was always very touchy about any reference to money and new things. Harry knew what it was to be dressed with hand me downs, at least Ron’s brothers were really nice and the clothes fit Ron, Harry didn’t have that luxury with his cousin clothes.

“Are you hungry, Potter?” Harry was startled out of his musings by Snape’s voice. He jumped and opened his eyes.

“Sir?”

“I asked if you were hungry. We may go for tea to the eating carriage, unless you would prefer to stay here and keep pretending that you are asleep, Mr. Potter?

“I was not pretending, I was trying to sleep.”

“Well you were failing, Potter, it seemed that you had spiders in your pants.”

“I don’t…”

“Stop arguing, Mr. Potter, and do not forget to call me sir. ”

“No, Sir. Sorry, Sir.”

“Are you hungry, Potter?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Come with me.”

They were sat at a nice table in the carriage and were brought sandwiches and tea. Harry could observe that Snape was familiar with muggle money and customs. Who would have thought so? The dark bat of the dungeons drank tea with milk and sugar, Harry would have bet that he only drank blood…

“Stop staring and start eating, Mr. Potter, we will arrive at our destination in one hour. And then we would have to walk. I don’t want you fainting for lack of nourishment.”

“I may surprise you, Sir, with my relatives I could do chores all day after taking only a glass of milk and some old piece of bread.”

“We won’t discuss that over here, Mr. Potter. We will address your relatives later, when we get to the Manor. Pour more milk in your tea and have another sandwich.”

Harry poured the milk. This was surreal! To be seated across a table with Snape and having him telling Harry to have more milk in his tea! Harry pinched his leg to be sure it was not a dream. He looked at the door between the carriages sure that Alice or the Mad Hatter would come and join them for tea.

The sandwiches were good, but Harry was not very hungry, he felt like a big balloon was inside his stomach, he was wary of his companion, up to now the Potion Master had been civil, almost, he was afraid even to think it ‘nice’, but remembering their past, he was sure that Snape was going to turn nasty, maybe not until they arrive at their destination, but any way this was supposed to be better than the Dursleys! He didn’t know what to think.

“Where are we going?” Snape raised an eyebrow. “Sir?” completed the boy.

“You will know it as ‘The Manor’, it’s a 20 minute walk from the station we will be arriving to, Mr. Potter, it’s an ancient place, used as a retirement place for the family that owned it. It’s near a Muggle town and a forest, it’s supposed to be a very quiet place.”

Not suitable for noisy children. Harry completed in his mind.

“I guess Hedwig is going to be allowed to fly around, Sir, isn’t she?”

“Yes, your owl won’t be caged, Mr. Potter, although you won’t be able to send any messages to your friends, any letter you would want to send should go through Hogwarts.”

So he would be able to write to his friends. And Professor Dumbledore will visit him, well… at least he will see some one else.

At that moment the porter announced that they would arrive to the next station promptly, Snape stood up and indicated Harry to follow him.

“The train will stop for ten minutes, we have to pick up your trunk and your owl.

They went back to their cabin and felt like the train was slowing down.

“Be sure that you do not leave anything.”

“I didn’t…..”

“Just look around, Mr. Potter.”

“Yes, Sir.” Well, thought Harry, here it was the usual Snape that he knew and hated…

The train stopped and a porter helped them with the trunk, the station was small, it was a small building with a waiting room, restrooms and the ticket booth.

Two more persons left the train with them, but they had left the platform when Harry looked around, may be they lived in the small town.

The station chief, got close to them. Harry was standing beside his trunk he had placed Hedwig’s cage over it. He felt the cold air surround him, he was tired. He had not slept well the night before dreading to meet his new Guardian, and now he only wanted a place to sleep.

“If you need a place to sleep the pub has rooms, it’s the third building on main street.” The old man saw that the boy was tired.

“Thank you, but we have a place to go, you may know about it, it’s property of the Prince family?”

“I know about it, Sir, but you would have to walk through the forest, and there is a full moon….”

“We’ll be there in 20 minutes. The moon would help us to see the way.”

“You may leave the trunk here and pick it up in the morning, if you are sure you want to go..., stay in the road, and go as fast as you can.” The man touched a crucifix on his neck.

“Thank you.” Snape walk toward Harry.

“Mr. Potter, take a jacket out of your trunk, don’t you feel the cold air?”

Not finding anything to say Harry opened the trunk and kneeled beside it, he didn’t have any jacket, he dug out the sweater that Ron’s Mother gave him last Christmas, and he put it on. He could felt Snape’s disapproval over the state of his trunk, he was not going to lecture him or make him arrange it in the middle of no where, would he? He closed the lid and saw that Snape was not looking at him, but at the road that got lost under the trees.

“Let your owl out, Mr. Potter.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Are you ready?”

“Yes, are we coming to get my trunk in the morning, Sir?”

“Of course not…”

“But it is heavy, unless you place a hovering charm on it, but it would look strange to have a floating trunk coming behind us…”

“Hovering charms are not the only ones we could use, Mr. Potter, do you have your wand on you?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Keep it on hand.” Snape took out his wand and murmured something that Harry couldn’t catch and with a movement his trunk shrunk to the size of a box of matches. Harry picked it up, and placed it in his pocket as Snape shrunk the cage.

“Wicked! Can you show me how to do that.. Sir?”

“Not now Potter, we must be on our way. It’s later that I wanted to arrive.”

“Why did the chief tell you to be aware of the moon, Sir?”

“Superstitious fools, Mr. Potter. Come along.” Even with out the man’s ever-present robes he billowed menacingly

They started walking off the platform, they saw some streets and arrived at the end of the village. They entered the forest, it was not as dense as the forbidden forest near Hogwarts, but it was creepy with the light of the moon filtering through the trees canopy. The moon lighted the road and it looked endless. Harry hoped that they would arrive soon, he felt tired, it had been a long day.

He was so tired that his imagination was running wild, he didn’t dismissed the comment of the station chief, he felt as if something was watching them walk through the forest. He was not cold anymore, but was glad of the jumper. He thought that something was moving near. Harry walked as close to Snape as he could. But one of the man steps translated to three for Harry. So he was practically running. And his big trainers were not helping, Harry was sure that he would have blisters once they arrived at the place where they were going. He had to look down, there were roots and stones and he had almost tripped several times.

“Be careful where you place your feet, Mr. Potter.”

Snape said this after Harry almost fell down. He twisted his ankle with the root of a tree. He tried to keep walking, but it hurt. So he sat down in the road.

Snape walked back to him and kneeled beside him.

“I will like to arrive before midnight, Mr. Potter...”

“I’m sorry… It hurts, Sir.”

Snape took Harry’s foot and softly turned it around. It was not broken… he couldn’t feel any swelling, but the boy claimed that he was in pain. Maybe they should rest for a moment. He saw that the trainers that Harry was wearing were at least two sizes too big for the kid.

“Your cousin’s I suppose?”

Harry only nodded.

Snape was adding one more thing to the list of what he wanted to do to those muggles, when he heard it.

The forest has constant noise, different depending of the time of the day, but there is always some insect chirping or rubbing it’s wings or legs or whatever they do, but there was always something to hear.

Snape noted that nothing was stirring anymore for a moment just before he realize that there was something big coming their way.

The noise was like some heavy paws running in the earth and crashing the branches of the trees, he and Harry looked at each other first and later at one side of the road from where the noise was coming.

Then the running stopped, but a piercing howl reached their ears. Harry felt Snape’s hands on his shoulders as he was stood up quickly, then the running started again and a big mass with yellow eyes was coming toward them. Harry could see big teeth in the middle and braced himself for the attack.

 

Chapter End Notes:
I know it is a cliffie, but the next chapter is coming very soon. Please review. LL