Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy. :)
Dark Wizards' Downfalls

A few days later, I sigh heavily as I curl up on the couch in Snape's rooms with my heavy textbook on my lap. It sucks that I have to be on this stupid bed rest for another week, but I suppose I can understand why Madam Pomfrey and Snape want me to be on it. My side still hurts terribly when I move, especially when I walk. However, I know I'm getting further and further behind in my studies, which is the only reason why I hate this order. Granted, Snape has arranged for my professors to give me private lessons in our rooms, but those lessons aren't going as well as they should be.

I do have to admit that my Potions grade is at an Acceptable right now, which makes me happy. Unfortunately, being the ward of a potions master is where the downfall is in this relationship. Truthfully, I think he expects too much from me. I can't understand anything we're brewing. I just read and follow the directions counting my blessings that I'm not dead yet. I'll be the first to admit it, but Professor Sinistra was right. Professor Vector was just nervous on the first day. She's actually been rather cool to learn from for Potions. However, Snape watches her like a hawk when she's in our rooms, which I don't blame him.

"What are you reading?"

I glance up at Professor Sinistra and sigh heavily. I've learned throughout this healing time that when she arrives, it means that Snape had to go somewhere. It isn't as if I don't like Professor Sinistra because I do. She's extremely kind to me and just the other day reminded me of how a mother would act. However, lately she's been too motherly. She makes sure I have everything I need, helps me with my homework when I don't get it, makes some rather ridiculous jokes that truthfully shouldn't be funny, and sometimes just sits with me.

"History of Magic," I reply with little emotion.

"Ah, I take it by your tone it's not going well."

"That's an understatement," I drawl. Professor Sinistra only smiles softly before sitting across from me in Snape's usual chair.

"It's not about the Goblin wars, is it?"

"No. Professor Flitwick thought it might be nice to learn about recent events."

"Just how recent are we talking here?"

"The War with Grindelwald," I respond rather bored. The entire chapter on it was as boring as listening to Professor Binns lecture about the Goblin wars.

"I see, well, I'm not that great with dates, but I can give you some of my knowledge about it."

"I already know that Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald."

"That wasn't what I meant, Harry," she replies with a smile. "Did Filius talk about the followers of Grindelwald?" I shake my head. "Well, like our current dark wizard, Grindelwald had followers whom he ordered to do his dirty work. His followers weren't as bad as Death Eaters, but they were still bad enough. They were all about purebloods and purifying the bloodlines. However, they did murder thousands of Muggles. Their main goal was to overthrow the Wizarding Secrecy."

"It didn't work for them, though."

"No. It didn't," Professor Sinistra says with a sigh. "It is going to be just like it for our current bad guy, Harry. Um…let's see. Well, Grindelwald was all about uniting some objects together. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the objects are. However, his symbol is widely known. Has he talked about that?" Again, I shake my head. "His symbol is a triangle with a circle inside it and a line that split equally the triangle and circle. Some of his followers branded themselves with the mark in the same manner that Death Eaters do."

"Were there lots of followers?"

"There were some. Um…well, I suppose there's no harm in telling you this." Professor Sinistra then starts to stare at me before sighing. "My father was one of his followers." My eyes widen. I can't believe it. She only scoffs before turning away. "He's paid for his crimes, Harry. He was much like another young man I know. He just wanted to belong somewhere, and Grindelwald was rather excellent in his lies. You see, my father is a typical pureblood. He dislikes Muggles because of how they've treated us for centuries. However, age has dulled his contempt, luckily. If I married a Muggle, though, he'd kill me."

"Seems kind of harsh," I respond.

"It is, but I admit that I can see his point. Muggles harm what they do not understand. After all, your relatives showed that point. For centuries, Muggles hunted us and attempted to kill us all because in their eyes, they believed us to be abominations. Purebloods are no different in that thinking, only they believe Muggles to be the monsters. Well, getting back to Grindelwald, no one stood up to him for years. The public wanted the Headmaster to step in, but for some reason he didn't. Grindelwald nearly took all of Europe before Dumbledore finally opposed him. Their duel is legendary as you know."

"Were those days like how it is now?"

"I couldn't possibly say since it was before my time, but I'd imagine it was. Dark wizards always bring about darkness to the land that takes years to recover. The effects are long lasting and widespread. The Muggles, in fact, felt the results of our war. Think you can write that essay now?" I nod slowly. "Good, well, if you need me, I'll be right here reading some rather dull and boring Potions book." She then laughs softly. "It is rather fun when the grump isn't here, isn't it?"

"The grump does not appreciate it when the twit refers to him like that in his rooms," a silky voice spoke behind us. "I take it you've taken a break, Harry."

"No, sir," I respond. "Professor Sinistra was just helping me with an essay on Grindelwald."

"I'm surprised she'd know anything about that subject," he replies bitingly.

"I know a hell of a lot more about it than you do," Professor Sinistra says crossing her arms. "What's the matter, Severus? Get your ass chewed again? After all, there are only two reasons you get so snarky, and we both know it isn't number one."

I glance between the two of them trying to decipher what the hidden meaning is, but I can't. They're rather pokerfaced right then.

"Your services are no longer required," Snape hisses.

"I'll remind you of that tonight, sweetheart."

My mouth drops as she walks out. I then glance at Snape. He only glances at me before rolling his eyes.

"Oh, shut up, Potter," he drawls before storming towards his room.

Our dinners with Sinistra suddenly make sense. I quickly grab a parchment and start to scribble down a note. Ron so has to hear about this. The twins and he are going to freak when they find out.