Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I was in a rather good mood while writing this so I think my good mood passed onto Harry when he's talking to Snape. Hope you enjoy. :)
Father-Son Moment

Last night has somewhat blurred past me. I know that a man that I used to hate with a passion and vice versa has now adopted me. I remember that fully. In fact, that's why I am grinning stupidly this morning. For the first time since I can remember, I'm waking up to a family. However, the thing that is rather odd is that I can't remember Snape, or is it Dad now, saying what my punishment for planning to try to find the Sword of Slytherin is. There's no way the man forgot something like that, and there's no way that he'd just overlook it. The man's as strict as they come. So why didn't he tell me last night then what my punishment is?

I sigh heavily as I stare up at the ceiling of my bedroom in our rooms. If the question of why he didn't tell me my punishment isn't infuriating enough, then the question of what I'm supposed to call him definitely is. I mean, sure, he did say that I'm like a son to him and he claimed me as such with the full adoption last night, but do I call him Dad now or what? Obviously, I'm going to have to call him 'sir' or 'professor' when we're around the other students. What do I call him, though, if we're together in our rooms like this morning? I then roll over and glance at the closed door.

If I said 'hi, Dad' to him this morning, would he be angry? I know that I don't want him angry the day after he adopted me. He then might regret adopting me. I draw in a deep breath then. I wish somebody would just tell me what I'm supposed to do, I think. However, I receive no answer to my question, which isn't surprising. They both said they would only respond in emergencies. Again, I sigh. A thought suddenly hits me, though. A thought that just proves that loneliness is the number one reason people go insane. I growl under my breath as I try to shake the thought from my mind. I desperately need a distraction. Throwing the Gryffindor-colored bedding off to the side, I get out of bed and dress.

A few moments later, I slowly walk out of my room towards the kitchenette. I glance at the massive bookshelves that line the wall in the sitting room. One bookshelf closest to the kitchenette draws my attention, but I quickly shake my head. I need a distraction, not a reason for Snape to kill me, I think. I sit at the island and stare at the two empty pieces of parchment on the table with a quill and inkwell. My eyes narrow on it, but I shake my head. Either Snape or Professor Sinistra usually work back here on their lesson plans or else. One of them probably left it out, which is more likely to be Professor Sinistra than Snape. Snape's rather methodical about everything. I grab the quill and gently dip it into the inkwell before starting to compose my letter to Ron.

 

Ron,

Summer school's going all right. You'd never believe how different this place is in the summer. All the professors teach other subjects. It's somewhat odd, and I know you'll think I've gone nutters, but it's actually kind of fun. Professor Vector's teaching Potions, so it's going a lot better than usual. In fact, I've managed to pull an Acceptable so far in Potions. I actually understand some of this stuff too. Oh, Ron, guess what? I got an 'O' on a Potions exam that Snape graded. I think that one shocked us both. Next time I see you and Hermione, I'm totally showing that one to her.

I wish I were with you guys, though. As much fun as this place is, it doesn't make up for the fact you're all probably playing tons of Quidditch while I'm studying. I don't think asking Sirius would be a good thing, though. I'll try asking Snape, but I sincerely doubt he'd let you guys come over here for a bit. I did a rather stupid thing yesterday. Only he hasn't told me what my punishment is yet. I think he's enjoying letting me suffer. It was rather stupid, but Professor Sinistra was telling me about this Sword of Slytherin. Well, I tried to come up with a plan on how to find it. Snape found out and it definitely wasn't pretty. I'm thinking that at the very least he's going to ground me.

Okay, so now to the main reason why I'm writing you. Now, you can't freak or anything. And please don't storm over here with your mum, claiming that I lost my mind. My mind is perfectly clear. All right, so…last night after the fiasco with the sword thing, Snape handed me something. It's something that I've wanted for a very long time. I mean, of course I love you and your family, but I don't know…Snape asked and I said yes. Ron, please don't be mad, but Snape asked me if it'd be all right if he adopted me. I told him yes because, well, you know how I always wanted a family. Snape's giving me that family, Ron. We'll still be like brothers and everything. I hope that doesn't change or anything.

Hope to hear from you soon,

HP

 

I reread my letter and sigh. Last night I was so sure that I was doing the right thing, but today I'm not. Soft groaning heading in my direction, however, gains my attention instantly. I glance towards the sounds and nearly laugh as Snape slowly walks into the room massaging his temples. He looks like Fred did after a night full of drinking Firewhiskey. I then glance towards the mantle above the fireplace where Snape keeps his bottle, thinking that maybe he did spend the rest of the night drinking so he'd forget about adopting me. The bottle is still half-full, though.

As Snape takes a seat at the island, he glances at me before lowering his head onto the countertop. My eyes narrow on him. Is he regretting adopting me? I hear more low groans from him before he takes a deep breath and sits up straight.

"Sir, are you all right?"

"Oh, yes, Harry, I'm just peachy, and you?" he drawls, not bothering to look at me.

"You could probably send an owl, sir, and tell them it was all a mistake," I mumble quietly.

"Why on earth would I do that, Harry?" he asks before scoffing a few seconds later. "Ah, yes, you think this is about you. I assure you that I do not regret adopting you, Harry."

"Then why are you acting so strangely?" He snorts loudly before glancing at me.

"After you went to bed last night, I foolishly asked Sinistra for a duel."

"Why?" I ask. Obviously, I know that they both duel from time to time. I've also seen the results of those duels. Snape usually comes back fine and unharmed, but there are a couple of occasions where that was false.

"To clear my head," he responds quietly. "Unfortunately, my mind was not fully into our duel, and she easily defeated me." His forehead then rests against the countertop again. "I've dueled wizards that were twice my magical strength and won, but for some reason or another that witch still beats me from time to time. Last night, though, was entirely my fault. Instead of clearing my mind, she knocked me out of my mind."

"Do you want me to get you anything?" I ask quietly. He waves a hand at me, which I know is his 'no'. I then wince as I notice his hand. Bruises and deep cuts cover it. It gets me wondering.

"I'll live," he mumbles, a few moments later.

"Why don't you ever heal yourself afterwards? Do you enjoy the pain?" His head lifts up at once, and he fixes me with a stare that I know is his appraising one. He then sighs and puts his forehead back on the table.

"No. I do not enjoy the pain," he replies quietly. He then sighs. "I suppose I don't heal myself afterwards to remind myself of my mistakes. With her, my mistakes are never deadly or too costly. She only uses curses meant to inflict minor wounds, which I know."

"Yeah, but it looks like she did a number to you," I respond.

"When she casted that last spell, she meant to test my shield because she knew I could easily block it. I foolishly, however, was not paying attention."

"Why weren't you?" I ask curiously. Snape always tells us to pay attention. What would make him not be able to follow his own rule?

"I was thinking about what an effective punishment would be for you for disobeying me."

"Oh," I say hanging my head. "So you didn't forget then?"

"Never," Snape replies with a low chuckle. "Well, perhaps with my concussion last night, but I somehow made it to our rooms." He then turns towards me. "Sinistra was not here this morning. Was she?" I shake my head. "Hmm…then she's at breakfast." His dark eyes then notice my letter. "Writing Mr. Weasley?" he drawls.

"Yeah, I thought it'd be polite. Is it all right if I tell him about the adoption?"

"Of course it is, Harry. He's your friend, and it is not as if your godfather does not already know." My eyes then narrow on him. "It was only the polite thing for me to do after all. I could not just adopt you without speaking to Black about it."

"He's all right with it?" I ask in disbelief.

"Perhaps once Lupin calms him down, then yes," he drawls. "When I had informed him of my intentions, he, of course, was his usual self. I believe he realized at the end of our…discussion that I only wished to give you a family, and that I had no intention of taking you from him."

"You two hexed each other, didn't you?" I say with a soft laugh.

"We drew wands, yes, but nothing led to it. Lupin quickly stepped in and controlled Black, and I, unfortunately, had Sinistra with me at the time." He then sighs. "I informed both Black and Lupin that you may visit them whenever you wish. They are but one connection to your parents that even I could not take from you. They both love you equally in their own ways, and it would be wrong of me to interfere in that relationship."

"Thanks, Snape." He nods slowly before groaning again.

"Are you sure you don't want anything?"

"Yes, Harry, I'm sure. I've had much worse injuries than this."

"You know, you usually try to hide them from me."

"Yes, well, I'm trying to lead by example for a certain Gryffindor," he drawls with a smirk.

"Snape?" quietly I ask a minute later.

"Yes, Harry," he responds, turning his head towards me.

"What do I call you? I mean, I obviously call you 'sir' or 'professor' when we're around the other students, but what do I call you when we're alone?"

"Whatever you feel comfortable calling me," he replies staring at me with an indescribable look.

"So if I call you…um…"

"Father?" he offers with a raised eyebrow.

"I was thinking of 'Dad' actually. Father just sounds so formal."

"If you feel comfortable calling me that, then you may. Realize, though, that I may be a bit hesitant with you at first. It is not you or your use of calling of me that. I just am not used to it."

"I understand," I say with a smile. "So can I call Professor Sinistra 'Mum' then?" He rolls his eyes at me, but smirks.

"We are not married, Harry."

"No, but you'd liked to be," I argue.

"As I told you last night, the opportunity has yet to present itself."

"Do you have the rings then?" He snorts before lifting his head up and staring at me.

"I have her engagement ring, yes, but I do not have wedding rings chosen."

"Can I see the engagement ring?"

"I'd rather you didn't. I would still like to have that ring when I finally ask her."

"Well, what are you waiting for, though?"

"You'd rather I marched up to the Great Hall right now and asked her over breakfast?"

"I just don't see why you're waiting."

"Admit it, Harry. You just want to add a mother to your family," he says with a smirk.

"Well, she already likes me," I reply stubbornly.

"I believe the point of marriage is that she is supposed to like me, Harry."

"Don't you want to unite Slytherin?" I say with a grin. He snorts again before shaking his head.

"No doubt the Weasley twins gave you that line," he drawls before sighing. "Perhaps going to the Great Hall is not as bad of an idea as I first thought." My eyes narrow. "I would have thought you'd wish to see if the Weasleys or even perhaps Miss Granger sent you anything today."

"Oh, yeah, forgot that the owls don't come down here," I say quietly. I then smirk at him. I'm either going to get in an extreme amount of trouble over it or he'll think it is funny. Then again, we do seem to be having a father-adopted son moment. "Admit it. You just want to see your girlfriend, Dad," I drawl. His eyes narrow at me before he snorts in amusement.

"Yes, Harry, that is precisely why I wish to go to the Great Hall," he drawls back. "I just have to see those frizzy dark curls before I can start my day or I'll just be a complete git all day," he says with a smirk before he goes back to being emotionless again. "I'm expecting a letter from the Ministry. In fact, the letter is also something that you'd find interesting." My eyes narrow. "I could be mistaken, but I do believe that I adopted a certain pain in the ass Gryffindor last night. It would only be natural and polite of the Ministry to include a certificate of adoption so that my newly adopted lion had something to hang on his wall and could show off to everyone."

I roll my eyes and head for the door. That is the last time I ever joke with him.

Chapter End Notes:
Next chapter will be the response from the Ministry and events at breakfast.