Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
A bit of a sad Harry chapter. Sorry. Enjoy, though. :D
Fault Rests with Me

Since we've returned from Prince Manor last Sunday night, I have to admit that everything is going rather well. Dad has had to take Mum's classes for a while because she's isn't fully herself yet. Dad keeps saying that she'll be fine, though, and that she just needs to rest. I'm inclined to believe him because, well, he's my dad.

My parents are being rather cute with each other, too. Just yesterday, when I was coming out of my room for breakfast, I saw my parents snogging on the couch. Of course, my appetite went out the window at that lovely discovery. Though, when they realized I was walking towards the door gagging (okay, so I wasn't really gagging), they immediately stopped and Dad flushed slightly.

Today, though, ten days from my birthday, Mum is going back to teaching Defense. She can do some magic now, but not enough for demonstrations. Draco and I both have offered to help her since Dad's rather busy brewing more of that cookie potion. Yeah, that's what I'm calling it now because Dad still continues to smell like a giant cookie.

"All right, class," Mum says as her small class lines up in front of her. "We're going to learn today how to cast a Patronus."

My green eyes dart towards her instantly. I then look at Draco and silently wonder if he even knows how to cast it. Draco meets my look with a soft snort. Okay, so maybe the blond does know, but I'll believe it when I see it.

"Now, who can tell me something about a Patronus?" A young girl in front raises her hand. She reminds me a bit of Hermione, but I glance away.

"They take the form of an animal significant to the caster, Professor," the girl responds happily.

"Correct, what else?"

"They are the only known thing that can protect against Dementors."

"Quite right and what is that, Mr. Flint?"

"Because it doesn't feel despair so Dementors can't use the feeling against them, ma'am," the Slytherin coolly replies.

"Excellent answer, Marcus," Mum says with a smile. "They can't have the happiness sucked from them so the Dementors are unable to use their powers against it. Now, this charm is a rather difficult one to master. It sometimes takes witches and wizards years to create a full corporeal Patronus." Mum's eyes then glance towards me. "Harry, if you could."

"Expecto Patronum," I cast in front of myself. I watch the silver stag jump out of the end of my wand before lightly stepping towards me.

"As you can see, they're mildly transparent with a silver ethereal appearance."

"Much like ghosts," a girl says.

"Very much so, yes," Mum replies before walking towards my stag. "They can interact with certain people, for example." Mum then kneels down, and I wordlessly command it to walk towards her. I nearly chuckle when it bows its head towards her. She then stands back up and addresses the class again. "They can also interact with another's Patronus. Draco?" she says glancing towards the blond.

I have to admit that I'm rather interested in this. When I see the silver ethereal snake slither out of Draco's wand, I snort and glance at him. Of course, Draco's Patronus would be a snake. His gray eyes glance towards me before he rolls his eyes. His Patronus silently slithers towards my stag before coiling itself around his leg.

"Thank you, boys," Mum says glancing at both of us. We both end the spell and nod towards her. "So, in order to cast this spell, you have to think very hard on a happy memory. It takes numerous practices before you can cast it successfully and numerous castings for a corporeal Patronus."

"But Harry and Draco can do it," someone argues.

"Well, yeah, Harry's the Boy-who-lived, duh."

"Yeah, so what's Malfoy's excuse?"

"That is quite enough of that, Mr. Carmichael and Miss Clarion. As I said before, with practice, anyone can conjure a corporeal Patronus." The two bickering Ravenclaws then stop and concede their argument. However, I watch Ellie slowly raise her hand. "Yes, Ellie, what is it?"

"What's your Patronus, Professor Sinistra?"

"I'm afraid, Ellie, that I've never casted a full-body Patronus before. That's one of the reasons why I asked Mr. Potter and Mr. Malfoy today."

"What's the other?"

"Well, over this past long weekend we had, I had a bit of an accident, so my core unfortunately is still trying to replenish itself." I watch the concern enter some of the students' faces. "Don't worry. I'm fine. I just won't be dueling Professor Snape anytime soon."

"What kind of accident, Professor?"

"That, my dear, is a bit personal, so I'm going to have to pass on that. Thank you for the concern, though, but I'll be fine in a couple of weeks. Gentlemen, perhaps you can show them."

"Yes, Professor," Draco and I both respond before splitting the class in half and training them each separately. I have to admit that I'm rather curious about how Draco learned the spell. I guess I'll just ask him tonight, though.

Towards the end of the class, I notice Ellie watching Mum rather closely. Most of my group can at least produce a silver shield, so I walk over to the Hufflepuff girl. I have yet to see Ellie produce anything yet, but then again she keeps staring at Mum.

"Is something wrong, Ellie?" I ask quietly. She glances up at me with bright eyes.

"I don't know, Harry. Professor Sinistra keeps grabbing her side every now and then like it hurts her or something," Ellie responds softly. "Do you think she might be hurt worse than we thought?"

"No, Ellie, Madam Pomfrey cleared her for teaching this morning. I'm sure she's fine." I then glance towards Mum, and sure enough, I see her grab her side. "On second thought, maybe we shouldn't dismiss that so easily." I then start walking towards her, which I see Draco has noticed because the blond Slytherin is following me towards her. My eyes suddenly widen when she starts to fall off the three-foot raised platform she's standing on. Luckily, though, I watch Flint step towards her and catch her before she can hit the ground. However, Mum's passed out cold in his arms.

"Somebody, get Madam Pomfrey," Draco commands as we reach Mum.

Dad, something's wrong with Mum, I send through my link when I kneel down beside her. I watch Flint gently tap her cheek to wake her, but she doesn't regain consciousness.

I'll be right there, Dad responds almost instantly. And true to his words, the doors to the Great Hall burst open as Dad briskly walks in. However, he's not wearing his usual black robes. In fact, Dad's wearing his white undershirt and black pants.

"Mr. Flint, hold her head upright for a moment."

Draco and I watch the Slytherin follow Dad's orders before Dad slowly pours the cookie potion into Mum's mouth. Dad gently massages her throat, which we notice makes her swallow. Within seconds afterwards, Mum starts to open her eyes. However, she also starts to clutch her abdomen again before releasing a painful cry.

Dad doesn't say a word, though. He only lifts her up out of Flint's arms into his and quickly whirls around with her. Draco and I glance at each other for a moment, but Flint pushes us both towards the doors. With our minds made up, we rush after Dad and Mum. Something's really wrong with Mum, and I'm scared what it is.

Draco and I burst into the Hospital Wing a few moments after Dad and Mum. We watch Madam Pomfrey quickly running her wand over Mum's abdomen, and Dad holding Mum's hand trying to calm her. However, Mum's practically screaming now. I can feel the hopelessness settle into the pit of my stomach. This is my fault. She's in pain because she protected me. I then feel Draco grab my hand gently before pulling me closer towards Mum. Dad glances at us briefly, but he doesn't say anything about it. He's still trying to make Mum's pain go away.

"What in Merlin's name?" Pomfrey gasps. "Severus, what have you been giving her?"

"Swift Solution," Dad responds. "Why?"

"It's no wonder she's in pain," the Matron replies before pushing Dad and us back. "None of you can do her any good right now. Wait in my office until I come for you."

I glance at Dad and see him nod in resignation. He gently presses a kiss to Mum's forehead before whirling around. Draco and I follow silently. This is my fault.

Chapter End Notes:
The next chapter is entitled "We Have to Talk." It sounds serious, but it's really not going to be all that serious. I promise. :D