Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, granted in our Muggle world this chapter is so not plausible. Possibly even in the Wizarding world, but I'm pretty sure no one's thought about something like this before. :D However, I blame my story "Potions and Stars" in writing this chapter and Harry bugging me nonstop about it. Enjoy. :D
We Have to Talk

Dad and Madam Pomfrey have been talking in her office for nearly fifteen minutes now. For some reason or another, she is against us hearing what's wrong with Mum. In fact, before they go in there, she states that it isn't a conversation that two teenagers need to hear. Draco and I grumble of course, but little good that does.

My green eyes glance towards the cot where we last have seen Mum. She isn't there anymore, but Dad says that Madam Pomfrey probably has moved her into one of the more private rooms in back. I don't understand why Madam Pomfrey couldn't let us see Mum then while we wait for Dad to come back from his meeting with the mediwitch. I sigh heavily as I kick the floor in frustration.

"She'll be fine, Harry," Draco says from the cot he's sitting on.

"We don't know that. We don't know anything." I then kick the floor again before glancing at the Slytherin. "Draco, you're pretty awesome at Potions. Do you know what Swift Solution is?"

"Never heard of it before," he quietly admits.

We then hear the door to Madam Pomfrey's office open, which makes us both glance towards it. Only Madam Pomfrey walks out of her office, but she motions for us to go in there. We quickly follow her unspoken request. However, she doesn't join us in her office. Instead, she silently shuts the door to her office behind her, leaving us alone with Dad.

Dad looks deep in thought as he's reading something. He doesn't say anything or even looks at us. He just keeps reading that file in his hands. I start to chew on my bottom lip nervously. I don't like the look on Dad's face. Granted, he doesn't look upset or anything, but something is puzzling him.

"Is she going to be all right?" Draco quietly asks, gaining Dad's attention instantly.

"What?" At the sight of our shocked faces, Dad says offhandedly, "Oh, yes, she'll be fine." He then glances back at the file in his hands and flips up one of the pages of the report.

I glance towards Draco with wide eyes. Dad's being rather cold right now with us about Mum. Could it really be that bad? I then close my eyes and hang my head. I know I'm probably being rather stupid right now, but I've already lost one set of parents. It's as if I'm losing another set before my eyes.

"Harry? What's wrong?" Dad suddenly asks before quickly walking towards me. When he kneels down in front of me, I throw my arms around his neck instantly and hug him fiercely. "Easy, Harry. It's all right. Just tell me what's wrong."

"It's my fault," I cry into his shoulder. I feel him gently rub circles into my back, but I only cry louder in response. It's always my fault when bad things happen. If I just would have—"

"If you even attempt to finish that thought, Mr. Potter, I'll tell Draco about your interesting use of Polyjuice your second year," Dad threatens softly. He then sighs softly and holds me closer to him. He has to know now what's upsetting me so badly. "It's not your fault, Harry. I swear on my Wizard's Oath that it isn't your fault." I nod against him before pulling back.

"Then what's wrong with her?" I ask wiping the tears from my eyes. "You and Pomfrey were in here for an awfully long time."

"I'm sorry for that, Harry. It was yet another action that's my fault," he mutters before running a hand through his long dark hair. "How about we all sit down for a moment?"

"I want to see Mum," I respond childishly.

"I'm afraid that's not possible right now, Harry."

"Why?"

"Madam Pomfrey's still working on her. However, we'll see her soon, though." Dad then glances towards Draco before glancing back towards me. "Do you remember how Madam Pomfrey asked me what I used to treat Aurora?"

"The cookie potion," I answer with a nod.

"Yes, well, your so-called cookie potion actually is called Swift Solution. It's a rather rare potion that most wizards tend to stay away from brewing because it can have some rather disastrous results."

"So your potion hurt her?"

"In a way, yes, Harry," responds Dad with a pained expression. "Swift Solution is as it sounds. It is a swift solution in terms of accelerating the body's ability to heal itself in case of serious injury or a severely depleted core in Aurora's case." Dad then grimaces more before shaking his head. "It takes injuries that normally would take months to heal and reduces the time to mere days. Each day equals a month." He then glances away and grimaces again horribly.

"You've been giving it to Mum for six days." I notice him nod slowly and gulp. Obviously, this Swift Solution isn't a good potion anymore in Dad's eyes. He doesn't usually show his emotions this much in front of me. "So then Mum's body has gone through six months in six days?" Again, he nods slowly and grimaces. "Dad, I don't understand."

"The standard procedure before administering it to someone is to run a complete diagnostic to check to see if there are no underlying conditions that could be detrimental if the body is accelerated." I nod slowly. "I examined her and found none, but I neglected to take into consideration another test."

"So then Mum's really sick?"

"I wouldn't say that," Dad replies tugging on his collar slightly. He then glances at me. "The beauty of the potion is that it doesn't age the body. If used correctly, no one would ever tell if one took it to heal oneself rapidly. There would be no evidence on the bones, in the organs, hair, nothing. However, there are two cases where there would be evidence. Out of those two cases, only one affects witches."

"Okay, so then Mum has the second case?" Dad nods slowly. "So what's this second case, Dad?"

"Wait a minute. You're not—but that's impossible, isn't it?" Draco asks.

"We're wizards, Draco. Nothing's quite impossible anymore as long as there's magic," Dad replies glancing towards the blond.

"Is she going to be all right?"

"Madam Pomfrey believes she will be. She's attempting to correct the error now."

"And…the baby?" asks Draco awkwardly.

My eyes widen instantly. I have to have heard that wrong. Draco can't have just said baby. Could he have? I then glance at Dad and catch his eyes closed.

"SHE'S PREGNANT!" I yell.

"Kindly lower your voice, Harry," Dad responds glaring at me seconds later.

"But when would you two have had time?" I blurt out. My face then reddens as I hear my words.

"Potter, I don't think time was a problem for them," Draco snickers.

"But she was recovering from her injuries after—"

"It was before then, Harry," Dad replies.

"You said that you both were going to wait until you were married."

"And we did," Dad answers tapping his fingers against Madam Pomfrey's desk. His cheeks are barely flush with embarrassment, whereas my cheeks are as bright as Ron's hair.

"So sometime in between the wedding and me going completely psychotic you two found time to, you know, do that?"

"Honestly, Potter, just say sex," Draco drawls. "After all, we both knew it was coming." The blond then snorts before shaking his head. "Is sex really that shocking to you, even though some of your housemates have bragged in the dorms about doing the same thing? At least you know Severus and Sinistra are both being safe."

"Well, obviously not that safe if he knocked her up," I snap back. My eyes then widen again before I glance at Dad. He has crossed his arms against his chest staring at me. "I…I'm sorry, Dad?" I say very weakly with a mild grimace.

"It seems as if we have to talk, Harry," Dad says silkily. He then sighs softly. "I would have thought you of all people would be glad for this interesting development, though."

"I am, Dad," I exclaim. "Honestly, I really am glad she's pregnant. I've always wanted to be a big brother. Well, ever since I met the Weasleys and saw how they act with one another. The twins actually are rather awesome big brothers to Ron and Ginny. And, well, I thought it'd be somewhat cool to be like a big brother to my baby brother or sister like them."

"Then why are you going nutters again, Potter?" Draco asks staring at me in disbelief.

"It's just that I thought it was my fault. I thought I was the reason she was hurt again."

"You take the blame too quickly, Harry," Dad responds. "This most definitely is not your fault."

I nod and sigh. Dad's probably right. I do take the blame too quickly, yet another symptom of living with the Dursleys. Whenever something went wrong, it was always the freak's fault.

You do not live with those monsters anymore, Harry, Dad sends through our link. You now have a home and a family who cherish and love you. You are not a freak, and you never will be. If I ever hear that wretched term again, I'll wash your mouth out with soap, son, he threatens.

"So then Mum grabbing her stomach was because of the baby?"

"Yes," Dad responds with a sigh. "I've been giving her numerous pain relieving draughts to counter the known intense burning pain that occurs from use of Swift Solution. It unfortunately masked the symptoms. Had she not forgotten to take a pain relieving draught this morning, we might not have caught this before it became even worse. Regrettably, I gave her a second dose of Swift Solution today, naively thinking that her symptoms were a result of her not taking one this morning."

"This is all really odd, Dad," I say staring at him. "It's rather unbelievable too if you asked me."

"It is rather unbelievable, but then so is the fact that you and I could ever get past our history. Did you ever think there would come a time when you would willingly call me your father?"

"No," I respond with a soft smile. "And I sure as hell never thought I'd call Draco my brother."

"See, Potter," Draco says draping his arm around my neck. "We're just one big special family. Hell, I mean, I've got a Gryffindor and Hogwarts' best Seeker for a brother, who also is the only known person to survive the Killing Curse." My gut clenches instantly. "We've got Severus, who is formerly known as being a member of the Dark Lord's Inner Circle as our dad. Then there's me, a Malfoy, who is head over heels in love with a Muggleborn Gryffindor witch who probably wouldn't give me the time of day anymore. Finally, there's Sinistra, our sexy mum that all of our housemates want a piece of, Harry. Ah, yes, and we can't forget our newest member of the family, our wicked little baby brother or sister that's only going to be in the womb for about two months. Yep, we're just one unique family, Potter."

"Wait a minute," I say glancing at Dad. "Shouldn't Mum be showing signs?"

"Potter, were you even listening to Severus?" I don't respond vocally, but I glare at him. "With that potion, it doesn't affect the body. So in little Gryffindor terms so you can understand, her tummy can't get bigger to make room for the baby." My eyes then widen as I realize what he's saying. "It's no wonder she was screaming like a banshee," he says quietly. "I'd be screaming too if I had something—"

"Actually, gentlemen," Madam Pomfrey says interrupting us. "The fetus is rather underweight for where it should be in terms of a normal gestation. However, I'm currently correcting that." The matron then glances at Dad. "The surgery went well, Severus. I had to repair some mild damage to her lungs and other internal organs from the fetus pressing against them, but she'll recover fully." Dad nods curtly in response. "I am a bit concerned with how underweight the fetus is. However, as long as I continue to exam her and you ensure that she eats regularly, I believe her body will start to adjust rather quickly to correct that deficiency."

"How far along is she, Madam?"

"How many doses did you give her, Severus?" Madam Pomfrey replies with a pointed look.

"I see," Dad says running his fingers through his hair again. "Her body's adjusting, though?"

"She is," she answers. "She's adjusting just as we thought she would, Severus. In fact, her body is starting to show the signs of where it should be for a normal pregnancy. She's experienced so far slight weight gain, which will no doubt improve with the number of nutritional supplements I've been giving her. The fetus has started to get itself comfortable in her womb, and I will admit that it is a bit of a kicker. Her breasts have also started to lactate in preparation for the baby's arrival."

I close my eyes and wince. I so don't need to hear that. I notice Draco doing the same thing, which makes me feel in good company. Dad, however, looks relieved by the news. Then again, I guess it makes sense that he would. It sounds like this pregnancy thing is a really painful event when it's normal. I hate to think what it was like for Mum since hers wasn't a normal pregnancy.

"I'm going to keep her here overnight to make sure there aren't any complications, but you may go see her. Mind you, she won't regain consciousness until the morning." Madam Pomfrey then glances at Draco and me. "Mr. Potter, Mr. Malfoy, please be careful of her abdomen. She'll be rather sore for a couple of days." We both nod. "Last room on the right, Severus, I trust you remember it?"

"Yes, Madam," replies Dad. "Thank you, Poppy."

"Maybe next time you'll actually remember to examine your wife for a pregnancy before you start dosing her with harmful potions, Severus." Dad shakes his head, and we follow him out.

My eyes widen when I walk into the room and see Mum. Her eyes are closed, and her head is off to the side of the pillow. However, it is the rather big belly that makes me stare at her. So that's what a pregnant woman looks like. I then smile. She's still beautiful.

"Dad, can you hear her through your link right now?" He glances at me, but turns away.

"I hear something, but I can't be certain if it is her or not. However, I'd be surprised if it was her I was hearing. Pomfrey more than likely used a powerful sedative on her to ensure she wouldn't regain consciousness tonight. She would be in a tremendous amount of pain if she woke up right now."

"Why?"

"Look at her, Potter," Draco responds. "Have you ever had your belly stretched out that far in one day? Then again, I am speaking to the Gryffindor who had to grow all the bones in his arm again."

"That was Lockhart's fault," I growl. I still hate that man to this day because of that experience. Stifling silence then settles into the room for nearly five minutes before someone speaks.

"Not to make light of this, but the baby's like your back to school gift, Severus," Draco says.

I glance at the blond with wide eyes before glancing towards Dad. Dad is not amused, but why should he be? I then shake my head and scoff. At least I'm not the one who said it this time.

"On second thought, maybe I shouldn't have said," Draco mutters under his breath.

"Ya think?" I ask glancing at the blond.

"You know, Potter, all of this is your fault." I narrow my eyes on him. "If you weren't such a Gryffindor all the time, you wouldn't be rubbing off on me." I snort in response.

"Oh, yeah, Draco, that just has to be the reason." I then glance at Dad who is staring at Mum. I don't know why, but I imagine my true parents for a moment instead of Severus and Professor Sinistra. My father James holds my mother Lily's hand. It's rather funny I'm imagining this scene. However, it's peaceful watching it. I mean, I can see the love both my fathers have for my mothers. And just knowing that when my mother was pregnant with me, my father once had that same look that Dad now has for Mum, well, no words can describe that feeling. This is my family now, both of them. I'm a Potter, but I'm now also a Snape. And maybe someday I'll be a Prince like Mum and Draco...and hopefully Dad.