Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Rather short chapter, sorry. Enjoy. :D
Getting Back to a Sense of Normalcy

A few minutes later, Madam Pomfrey waves her wand over Mum. I'm now sitting in the chaise longue leaning forward towards the bed. I hold my hands together as if I'm praying. Mum's eyes are still closed, and she looks so peaceful lying in bed. Madam Pomfrey and Dad both have said that she's just resting and that it's nothing to worry about, which is easy for them to say. Draco stands next to me, which calms me a bit but not enough. Why isn't she waking? I want to scream it towards them, but I don't. She's fine. I just have to remember that. Mum's fine.

"Did she say anything before she lost consciousness?" Madam Pomfrey asks.

"No, not that—"

"She whispered my mum's name," I interrupt. Madam Pomfrey and several of the other older adults in the room snap their heads towards me with looks of shock.

"You're certain that she said Lily's name?"

"Yeah, I am," I reply before glancing towards Mum again. "Why isn't she waking up?"

"Because she needs her rest while I'm examining her, Mr. Potter. There's no need for us to scare her when she awakens."

"But she's fine, though?" I ask looking at Madam Pomfrey.

"She and the baby are just fine, Mr. Potter." Madam Pomfrey then flashes a soft reassuring smile towards me. "However, it seems as if she hasn't been drinking enough fluids lately. Has she still been having issues with keeping things down, Severus?"

"Not as much as previously, Madam," Dad answers. "We've found chamomile works the best."

"Well, you're going to have to keep after her about drinking plenty of fluids. Otherwise, she's going to experience another fainting spell." Madam Pomfrey then inhales deeply. "Her blood pressure is concerning me slightly. We're going to need to keep her relatively calm for awhile."

"I understand."

I then watch Madam Pomfrey shoo everyone else out, which makes Draco and me root ourselves firmly to the floor. We're not leaving her side. Thankfully, Madam Pomfrey doesn't bother us, though.

"Severus, would you like me to wake her—"

"No," Dad instantly replies shaking his head fiercely. "I'll wake her. Thank you, Madam."

"Yes, well, if you need anything, I'll be downstairs." The mediwitch then briskly whirls around and leaves, leaving Dad, Mum, Draco, and me in the room.

I can't help it. My nerves and emotions are in overdrive. I quickly walk closer to Mum. Her head rests against Dad's lap, and he gently strokes her head lovingly. I don't even glance at Dad before gently putting my head on her chest. I watch Draco do the same a few seconds later, which forces me to try to smile. The tears are in my eyes, though. Slowly, I hear Mum's soft moans as she regains consciousness.

"Did I…did I fall asleep again?" Mum quietly asks sleepily.

"No. You went outside to get some fresh air when we were at Grimmauld. Do you remember this?" Dad's voice is very steady, but I can still hear a hint of a tremor.

"I did?" Mum then shakes her head before briefly laying a hand on Draco and my cheeks. "Ah, so we've decided that it's family naptime then?" she jokes, changing the subject.

I close my eyes instantly to blink back the tears. She doesn't know. Madam Pomfrey said there was a chance of this, but I didn't believe her. I feel Mum lovingly running her fingers through my hair before doing the same to Draco.

"You know, we didn't need to come to the manor to sleep. I can sleep just as well at Hogwarts as I can here." We don't respond. "Well, as much as I love this, boys, you're going to have to let me up." Almost instantly and as if an instinct took over, Draco and I bury our faces deeper into her chest so she can't move. "Boys, there are three things a pregnant woman does a lot of: eat, sleep, and pee. We're unfortunately on the latter. Now, let me up, boys."

"Can't," I mumble.

"Severus, can you please do something about your sons?" Mum's voice is full of love and warmth as she speaks. She truly doesn't know how close to death she came. Or if she does, she's an expert at hiding from her emotions. "Preferably before the baby starts to use my bladder as a quaffle again?" she adds.

"Boys," Dad says softly. He gives us a knowing look when Draco and I both stare at him in disbelief. "Aurora, you…collapsed earlier so I brought you to the manor. Unfortunately, both the boys and I are going to be a bit overprotective of you for awhile now."

"So, I take it that you wish to accompany me to the loo? You know, just because we're married, Severus—" Dad puts his finger to her lips and silences her instantly.

"I…I cannot lose you, Aurora." His voice is slightly shaky now, which is probably from him withholding his emotions. "I will not lose another woman I love, Aurora."

"All right, boys, I get it. I scared the hell out of you. I'm sorry." A strange look then crosses her face as if she's just remembered something. She then glances towards Dad. "Why did you get me a bouquet of lilies?"

"I didn't, Aurora. I know your favorite flowers are aster and daffodil."

"I swear you gave me lilies. I can almost see it. You're certain you didn't give me lilies?"

"I'm certain," says Dad glancing towards me. We share a look since we both know somehow that the lilies were Voldemort's calling card. "Would you like assistance?"

"Oh, um…no, I think I can do it myself, Severus. I'm not an invalid, you know." She slowly pushes herself up off the bed and walks towards the loo.

It's taking all of Dad's self-control, I think, not to rush after her. It's rather ridiculous, but all three of us stare at the closed door, waiting for her to return. When that door opens up again, I can't help but smile in relief. She has to have noticed that.

"Well, boys, now that we've taken care of that, how about we go get some food? I'm starving." She flashes her familiar soft smile towards us. However, there's a bit of unease in her posture. We're probably scaring her by acting so odd. She links arms with Dad, and we set off down the hall as one big group. At the sight of the rest of the Order downstairs, she stops at the top of the stairs and glances at Dad. "Severus, explain."

"The Dark Lord somehow managed to discover that the Order was using Grimmauld as its headquarters. He sent Death Eaters to destroy it. I've temporarily offered the manor for them."

I'm rather impressed with how Slytherin Dad is being. He's telling the truth, but he hasn't said yet that she nearly died. Mum only shakes her head and continues down the stairs towards the kitchen.

"Oh, Aura, you're all right!" Professor Vector and Mrs. Weasley both cry before hugging Mum.

"Easy," Mum replies with a bit of a pained expression. "Seven months pregnant here, and knowing my luck, my child probably is cursed with having its father's nose." The witches softly laugh before releasing her. "Mokai," Mum says as she takes a seat at the table. The little house elf pops in and stares at Mum with wide violet eyes. "Two pieces of banana cream pie," she orders.

"Yes, Mistress Prince," Mokai responds before disappearing.

"Two pieces?" asks Dad with a relaxed face. "The most you eat is one usually."

"Yes, well, Severus, I am eating for two now."

"Ah, so the other slice is for our child then?"

"Well, I've got to start influencing him or her now before you three get a hold of the baby." Two plates with large pieces of banana cream pie suddenly appear before Mum, and she quickly starts to devour the biggest slice as we all watch her. She looks content, and not at all like someone who came close to death a half-hour ago. Suddenly, she glances up and stares at Dad.

"Is something wrong, Aurora?"

Mum shakes her head before reaching into her pocket for something. My eyes widen when I recognize the small slip in her hands. She was reading that same piece when that woman tried to kill her.

"Mum," I say softly staring at her.

"Aurora…" Dad starts to say, but Mum shakes her head.

"I understand. You don't need to explain. I take it since I'm still alive He failed?" Dad nods. "Lovely," she responds before closing her eyes. "And the idiotic reason I went outside was why?"

"You were feeling rather nauseous again."

"Wonderful," she drawls shaking her head. "Well, then by all means, boys, protect away." She drops the slip of parchment onto the table and quietly finishes her second piece of banana cream pie.

I catch the words written on it, though.

Seems fitting he'll lose you just like he lost her.