Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
So my students and I were reading Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, and we had just got to the part where Decius tells Brutus that he'll flatter Caesar into going to the Senate. So this chapter is a result of an idea that struck me in the middle of me teaching my class. Enjoy. :)
Flattery is a Fool's Folly

Since I still have at least another hour before Astronomy starts, I find myself taking a walk around the castle after I finish eating lunch. I cannot help but wonder if I would be this bored if either Hermione or Ron is with me. It doesn't take me long before I walk down a familiar corridor. The cool air of the dungeons quickly swirls around me and greets me as if to say welcome back. I am almost near the talking portrait of Salazar Slytherin when I hear soft sounds coming from the end of the corridor. I glance towards it, but see nothing due to the darkness.

"Ah, Mr. Potter, I was wondering when I'd see you again. Forget your books, did you?" the Slytherin founder says with a chuckle. "It is no wonder you are in Gryffindor. Self-preservation, you most definitely do not have."

"I have my books, Salazar," I respond quietly still glancing down the dark corridor. "I just felt like a walk." I hear him scoff, but I pay him no attention. "Is Snape around?"

"Getting into trouble then, are we?"

"No," I reply with a slight growl. "I'm just wondering."

"Yes, well, whatever you are planning to do, don't. You cause quite enough trouble already, and I would think that you'd behave better now that you must live with Severus. After all, I am quite sure that he will have no issues punishing you for your stupidity."

"I'm just going for a walk."

"What, looking like that?"

"Ugh, never mind," I groan before whirling around. I walk back out of the dungeons and head towards another one of my favorite places to visit, which strangely enough is the Astronomy Tower. It does not take me long to walk there, and luckily I am alone. I lean over the railing and stare out at Black Lake. It is so serene here and beautiful. I watch an owl gracefully glide towards the Transfiguration Courtyard. I cannot help but feel a pang in my gut at the sight. I miss Hedwig and flying. I know that I have enough time to sneak over to the Owlery, but I also know how Snape would react to me sneaking anywhere. I really do not want to start that hornet's nest again.

"Ah, Mr. Potter, I had thought that was you," Professor Sinistra, a witch with dark brown hair, says. Her dark eyes then follow mine to the owl happily flying. "I'm sure if you asked him, he'd allow you to go flying," she says with a knowingly smile.

"He wants me to focus on school only, Professor," I reply quietly. "So I doubt he'll say yes."

"I see. Just how many classes did you receive poor grades in, other than mine of course?"

"Potions, History of Magic, and Herbology," I mumble.

"Your low grade in Potions is due to Severus being a his typical bastard self and making you nervous. History of Magic's low grade was because of Binns being so boring. I haven't a clue as to why you did poorly in Herbology, though. However, I believe the reason as to why you did so poorly in Astronomy was that you were tired from everything else that piled on your plate. Likely, you also believed naively that you didn't need to study or pay attention because it'd be easy. Well, Mr. Potter, do you still believe Astronomy to be easy now?"

"I get it, Professor Sinistra," I reply glumly. I so do not need my Astronomy professor acting like Snape, not when I have the real thing. After all, I know precisely what my nights are going to consist of.

"Oh, do you?"

"Snape already gave me this speech last night."

"And I see it didn't sink in a bit," she bitingly replies.

"You nearly just gave me permission to go flying, and now you're lecturing me because I'm choosing my grades over flying?" I squawk.

"I am doing no such thing, Mr. Potter. I am merely stating possible reasons for your poor grades so that you may learn from them. I did not give you permission in any such capacity. That right rests solely with Severus, not me."

"Yeah, I know," I reply annoyed. "Maybe you should lecture Snape, though."

"Why lecture him when he's forced to teach it?" She then glances at me with a weird look on her face before sighing softly. "Mr. Potter, I tried not to, but what in Merlin's name happened to your face?"

"Potions accident," I answer unhappily.

"Ah, another student then exploded a cauldron?"

"Not exactly, Professor," I say before sighing heavily. "Professor Vector accidently casted a vanishing charm on my potion."

"Oh my," she gasps. "But Septima should know better than that. I mean, she's not anywhere close to Severus in Potions, but she's definitely nowhere near my ability. Even I know not to cast spells with certain potions. You're well, though, I mean, other than your face?"

I nod slowly before glancing back towards the massive lake. I can hear Professor Sinistra muttering something under her breath next to me, but I pay little attention to her. After all, knowing her she's probably scolding Professor Vector. I must say that I do agree with her about Professor Vector's ability in Potions. I mean, there is no way that woman is anywhere close to Snape's knowledge.

"Well, she must have just been nervous, Mr. Potter. I know Septima personally would not wish any harm to come to any of her students, least of all you." Professor Sinistra then inhales deeply. "Between us, she did not even wish to take Severus's post. She tried to speak with the Headmaster about it this morning, but he refused to change his mind."

"Professor, you're not trying to say that Professor Vector is—"

"Unfortunately, we do not have that many on staff here who are experienced enough to teach Potions. I mean, the only way this could have been worse is if Professor Dumbledore had placed me in charge of it. You would most certainly be dead then. I assure you, though, that she's not usually that horrible at Potions. It was most likely a very bad case of nerves that caused her to forget."

"Yeah, well, I'm not so sure Snape will see it that way when he finds out."

"You are correct. In all likelihood, we might need a new Arithmancy professor after this." She then sighs quietly. "When do you have Astronomy anyway? Is it still held at night or did Severus change that?"

"It's my next class," I reply before glancing at her. I watch Professor Sinistra smile forcely and nod carefully. "We're supposed to head up to the seventh floor, I think."

"I see, well, I expect you to tell me everything he teaches you tonight." My eyes narrow on her, making her explain. "Well, I had thought you heard already that I am dueling Severus tonight to show my class the proper technique. It is open to all students so I assumed you'd be in attendance." She then smirks at me. "Then again, there is also the fact that I need to show my students the art behind dueling two casters at one time, but where, oh where, would I find another powerful wizard on such short notice? I mean, I would need an established wizard who had defeated a truly dark wizard, but I cannot think of any. Can you?"

"You want me to duel you?" I ask in disbelief.

"You did duel the Dark Lord, did you not?"

"Well, yeah, but—"

"And you did survive the encounters, did you not?"

"Yeah, but—"

"Then what is the problem, Mr. Potter?" Her dark eyes then narrow on me before she laughs softly. "Ah, I see. You do not wish to duel with Severus against me. I assure you that neither one of you will hurt me. I am quite the experienced duelist, and unlike Septima, I am not nervous to duel either of you. I must say that it would be quite the experience if you partake in it. After all, how many students can say they've had a duel with their teacher?"

I know precisely what she is doing. I've seen her use this same approach on Snape in order to get her way. Flattery is her spell that she casts on us. However, unlike Snape, I cannot block its power. I slowly nod in acceptance, knowing that I am going to regret it much later.

I must admit that I've never actually seen Professor Sinistra duel before, but I have seen the results. She knows some nasty curses, which is evident by a memory of mine from a couple of weeks ago. I can still remember the deep gash to Snape's cheek that she left as a reminder after they dueled. Why he never healed it is still unanswered, but I clearly remember that cut as if it were yesterday.

I also remember the night that Snape returned to his rooms with a noticeable limp and pain filled moans. I can't actually remember why I decided to spend the night down there in his rooms, but I just remember how relieved I felt when he allowed me to help him. He was in bad shape that night, which he spoke nothing of except that their dueling did not go as well as he had planned. I glance at Professor Sinistra and notice her look.

"Um…well, I have to go. I'll see you later." I then quickly flee to Snape. He'll help me.