Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Evanescence
Whisper

Harry stared uncomfortably under Snape's gaze. He could tell that he had upset the man greatly. It was just an instinct from all their turbulent years together. However, Snape's silence made him even more uncomfortable. Usually, the man was halfway through his tirade by now. Thought, here Snape stood just staring at him.

"I'm sorry," Harry quickly apologized.

"Do not apologize," Snape instantly replied. "I…I do not know."

"How can't you know?"

"It is a rather complicated issue, Potter."

"Either you are or you aren't, Snape. Nothing complicated about that."

"You are a fourteen year old boy, Potter. You know nothing about adult relationships."

"Maybe not, but at least I know I'm not dating a girl."

"No, but you wished you were with Ms. Chang."

Harry's mouth dropped. How did Snape know about that? He knew that he didn't go around advertising that he wanted Cho badly. He then noticed Snape's eyes roll.

"Honestly, Potter, all of Britain knows about you and Ms. Chang. It is not a secret by any means. After all, need I bring up the fiasco concerning basic actions such as swallowing your drink? Yes, Potter, I noticed your stupidity all the way up there at the Head Table. I must say that we were quite amused."

"Oh yeah," Harry snapped. "Well, anyone with a brain can see that you're snogging Sinistra!"

"Is that right, Mr. Potter?" Snape growled.

"After all, why else would the Bloody Baron haunt the Astronomy Tower? He's your spy. Isn't he?" Harry watched as Snape chuckled ruefully.

"Bravo, Potter, you've surpassed even my lowest assumption of your stupidity. What the Bloody Baron does or does not do is not anyone of your concern. It does not deal with your or me."

"Oh, so you didn't know then?" Harry asked quietly.

"That he's been haunting the Astronomy Tower? What do you think, Potter? He is my House's ghost, not my child. Nowhere in my job descriptions does it state that I must babysit a ghost. Now, unless you know something I don't, keep your thoughts to yourself."

"Aren't you the least bit curious, Snape?"

"No. It is not our concern, Potter."

"But—"

"How many times must I say it? It is not our concern. Now, we've delayed ourselves quite long enough, wouldn't you agree?"

Harry slowly nodded and sighed. He hated Occlumency. It always gave him a terrible headache afterwards that felt like a Bludger hit him in the head. However, Snape had a point. Who was he to worry about a ghost? If Sir Nicholas could take care of himself, so could the Bloody Baron.

"Fine, Snape," Harry replied. "Let's get this over with."

"Clear your mind," Snape instructed.

"Yeah, because if it didn't work the first two-hundred times I tried, it's bound to work the two-hundredth and one time."

"That will be quite enough of your smartass remarks, Potter."

"You're just grumpy that I know your secret," Harry replied smartly. Seconds later, he dropped to the ground panting heavily as Snape forcefully pushed into his mind. Harry hadn't prepared for the mental attack, which made his attempts to block Snape's mind futile. The attacks didn't last long, though. Snape quickly pulled back out of Harry's mind, leaving the teen gasping for air.

"Let that be a lesson to you to do as I say, Potter. Now do we understand one another?" Harry didn't respond. "I will attempt again. Block me this time, Potter, or you will be on the floor all evening."

Harry quickly tried to empty his mind. However, when it came time for him to show that it was empty, his mind filled up with thousands of fleeting thoughts. Snape easily bypassed every weak barrier Harry managed to create.

"We're going to be here forever," Snape drawled before glaring at Harry. "Again," he said.