Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Song comes from Shinedown.
Sound of Madness

Two days later, Snape sighed heavily as he entered Grimmauld Place. Albus had called for another meeting. He hadn't the foggiest why, though. The Order hadn't done anything for the past few days. The Death Eaters weren't much better. It was positively boring everywhere. He immediately noticed the glare directed at him from Black, who was probably still upset that Snape had spelled soap into his godson's mouth. However, the boy needed an attitude adjustment, and he didn't see Black offering it anytime soon. He sat down and let his head slump against the table. He was bloody tired.

"I apologize for waking all of you, but I wished to inform you all that I have a mission planned."

Oh, goody, Snape thought sarcastically. I do certainly love a good mission, especially when these morons complete it. That is, if they complete it, and that's a big if. He then glanced around the table to pick who it was. He had established this little ritual a long time ago. He was usually right.

Snape knew it wouldn't be that idiot Black because Dumbledore was keeping him close to Potter. It wouldn't be Lupin because it was too close to the full moon. Perhaps Arthur, but Snape couldn't think of a single reason why Dumbledore would send him. He then sighed as he noticed the young witch with bubble-gum colored hair. He knew for a fact Tonks and Moody would be there because there was hardly a mission without those two involved. Glancing through his dark curtain of hair, he looked at the frizzy dark-haired witch in dark robes sitting next to him. Aurora, he thought silently. He won't pick her because she's as clumsy as Tonks. We might as well as be flashing a sign at Voldemort 'look here, Order members'. He quietly chuckled at that particular thought. It would certainly make his meetings more interesting.

"What are you looking at, Snape?" Aurora harshly snapped as she glared at him.

"Obviously nothing since that is what you are, nothing," Snape drawled before glancing back to Dumbledore. He caught the man's damn twinkling blue eyes.

"Awe, poor Snape. Was there a little light in your bat cave this morning?" she asked cynically.

"Shut up, Sinistra," Snape growled. This is why he hated sitting next to the infuriating witch. She wouldn't ever shut up. He then sighed softly before nodding at something Albus said. Truthfully, he didn't really catch it. He knew what his job was. He had to spy on Voldemort. That was it. That was his one job, and it sucked royally.

"Thank you. You're all dismissed," Dumbledore loudly announced.

The Order immediately scattered into their social cliques. Most of them grabbed some food and headed back to the table. Others left to head back to their jobs like Arthur Weasley, who worked at the Ministry of Magic. Snape, on the other hand, sighed and walked towards the upstairs room. Truthfully, he didn't really know why he wanted to see what the horrid boy was up to, but he had sworn to protect the little brat. He noticed the shut door and rolled his eyes before knocking gently against it.

"Professor Snape," Hermione immediately exclaimed as she opened the doors.

"Clearly," Snape drawled before he glanced in the room. His dark eyes immediately found the boy playing Exploding Snape with the Weasley boy. "Mr. Potter, may I have a word with you in private?" He watched with amusement as Weasley opened his mouth to protest only to have Granger yank him out of the room. When the door shut behind the two, Snape felt the tension in the room jump. The boy had still refused to turn around to look at him. "It has come to my attention that you are not your father." He caught the boy's soft snort. "Yes, I know. Fairly obvious to everyone but me," Snape replied. "I apologize for all of the things I have done or said to you these past years."

"Why now, Snape?" asked the soft voice of the small Gryffindor.

"Because you deserve to hear the truth, Potter," Snape replied quietly.

"Oh god…you're not…you can't be serious, Snape." The boy then hung his head dejectedly.

"I haven't a clue as to what you're freaking about, Potter," Snape said briskly.

"You're going to tell me that you're my father, aren't you?"

Snape's mouth dropped. The boy seriously was suffering from some undiagnosed mental disorder if he thought that! He opened and closed his mouth several times before finally speaking again.

"No," Snape harshly snapped. "You are James Potter's spawn. I assure you of that, Harry." He then noticed his slip-up. Uh-oh, he thought as he watched the boy's green eyes glance at him. Dammit. Therefore, he did what any person would do and fled the room as fast as possible. It could wait.