Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Song is by Five for Fighting. Enjoy. :)
Chances

Soft knocking at her door brought her out of her dream. She groaned loudly, hoping whoever it was would just leave her alone. She casted Tempus and sighed. It was two-thirty in the morning. More knocking echoed its way up to her bedroom. She groaned again before rolling over and getting up out of her warm bed.

Thinking it was only Septima checking on her, Aurora didn't bother to put robes over her black nightgown. While she truly did love Septima for checking on her every night, she hated the witch for interrupting her dreamtime with her Severus. She briskly walked down her spiral staircase and headed towards her door.

"Perhaps you should cover up, Miss Sinistra," Salazar Slytherin said from his portrait that hung in her sitting room. However, she ignored his advice, which caused him to shake his head.

A few seconds later, Aurora threw open her door and instantly gasped. That was most definitely NOT Septima. Her dark eyes caught the familiar dark chocolate eyes staring at her with amusement.

"Not a word, Severus," she growled before turning around and walking back into her rooms. She could hear him close the door behind him as he followed her in. She quickly snatched a pair of robes that hung on the back of her couch and put them on before turning back around. She stared at him for a few moments, wondering why he'd be there. However, he remained silent, which slightly got on her nerves. "Why are you here?"

"I believe you know why I'm here, Aurora," he replied silkily.

"Well, I believe you know that I'm out of commission for the next—oh, eight or so months," she snapped. She noticed him wince at her remark. "What? You thought our little problem would just magically disappear or something?" she growled.

"I thought no such thing."

"Yeah right, feed that garbage to someone who doesn't know you," she retorted before wrapping her arms protectively around her midsection. She didn't really know why she did it, but she just felt safer afterwards.

"As you wish," he responded softly. "However, I have several questions for you."

"And they couldn't wait until a decent hour, Severus?"

"I apologize. However, I had thought you'd still be up at this hour."

"Just because I finish teaching at two thirty every morning when school is in session does not mean that I always stick to that schedule, Severus," she growled. "I do have a life unlike some people."

"We always did feel the need to hurl insults at one another, didn't we, Sinistra? It was either that or we'd resort to hexing."

His voice sounded different, which made her blanch. Perhaps she was being a bit insensitive with him. Then again, the man did impregnate her and think it was her fault. Her anger quickly returned, but it didn't last long. If this were symptoms of the hormones already kicking in, she'd kill him.

"What's your point, Severus?" she grounded out with only half the fury in her voice.

"I do not mean this as an insult, but you are sure you are pregnant?"

"Well, let me put it to you this way. If I get extremely fat in the next few months, I think it's a sure bet." She then huffed and glanced towards the Founder staring out at her from his portrait. She could see the amusement in Salazar's face, which only ticked her off more.

"I see, and what options are you planning to take?"

"Options?" she asked turning back to Severus.

"Yes, are you planning on keeping the child?"

"Of course I am," she snapped. "Just because its father's a bastard doesn't mean I'd get rid of it."

"I am trying to have a reasonable conversation with you, Aurora."

"At two thirty in the goddamn morning," she yelled. "I was having a rather good dream too!"

"With your oh so charming version of me?" he replied with a smirk.

"What? No! You're extremely arrogant if you think I dream of you," Aurora said with a hint of panic edged into her voice. How in the world did he know about that? I never told him about it. "That goddamn man and his Legilimency. Some things are private! But does he care about anyone's privacy? Hell no! I'm carrying his child, and he invades my mind as if I'm nothing."

"There is no need to scream at me, Aurora," he responded calmly with a soft smile. "I assure you that I did not need my Legilimency to know about you or your little fantasy. And you are incorrect about your assumption that I believe you to be nothing. As you stated, you are the mother of my child. By definition, that elevates your status, Aurora."

"Oh, really?" she drawled. "What am I now? Evil concubine or—" His lips suddenly covered hers, effectively quieting her. It took her a few moments to realize what they were doing. Her mind had shut completely down. Her heart beat wildly as her senses exploded. He then pulled back from her and glanced down at her. "What…what was that?" she asked breathlessly.

"I believe some might say that was a kiss, Aurora," he drawled with a wide smirk. His seriousness then returned as he sighed. "You are certain that you took all precautions every time we were together?" She nodded curtly, not trusting her ability to speak. "For what it is worth, Aurora, I do not believe that you did this on purpose to make me remain with you."

"Oh, well, that's relieving," she said sarcastically. "And here I thought you actually did believe it. Foolish me," she sardonically growled.

"You are a Slytherin, Sinistra. Slytherin women have used this same tactic before in order to get their way. However, you are not as vindictive as they are. You are much lovelier than that." He then hesitated briefly before grabbing her hand and holding it in his own. "If you are willing, then I will be here to help you raise our child."

"What…um…what brought on the sudden change?"

"I spoke with Harry earlier this evening, and during the course of our conversation, he showed his true Slytherin colors." She narrowed her eyes on him. "He slyly got me to admit my feelings concerning us." She opened her mouth, but he spoke and cut her off. "Aurora, when we began our agreement, I went to you after particularly difficult meetings. You asked no questions when I'd show up at your door. You only permitted me entrance. It did not take long for me to understand that the reason you did this was that you had fallen for me. If I had any decency, I should have ended it then so that you wouldn't be hurt. However, I didn't, and I still to this day am unsure of why I didn't." He then sighed. "I am not sure if you remember but there was a week where I went to you every day. You never asked a single question that week. I had thought you would." He smirked to himself before glancing at her. "If I were honest with myself, I would state that I am content with you being the mother of my child."

"You're content?" she repeated.

"Yes, you're a pureblood and from a respectable family," he deadpanned.

"You're content because I'm a pureblood?" she growled. When she caught the slight quiver in his lips, she narrowed her eyes. "You sarcastic bastard," she said outraged. "I cannot believe you!" She then huffed angrily before sighing. "All right, why are you content with me carrying your child?"

"Because I know that our child will be loved. You have a very nurturing side, and it is my understanding thus far that you will make an excellent mother." He then gently rubbed his thumb against the back of her hand. "And perhaps I will admit that I…enjoyed our times together."

"Okay, um, that's new."

"You must understand, though. I am a thoroughly morose individual. I do not show emotions outwardly unless it is anger. However, I am attempting to correct that habit of mine." She nodded slowly and stared at him in a similar manner that Longbottom usually did. "Aurora, I have not lost my mind."

"Uh huh," she replied still staring at him.

"Harry wished me to ask you if it would be acceptable if he could consider himself our child's big brother. He believes this idea to be—I believe his exact words were—cool. Is this agreeable to you?"

"He…what?" she asked scrunching her face up.

"He wishes to become our child's brother." At the sight of her confusion, he explained further. "I am under the impression it is because he wishes for a family of his own. I have told him I'd discuss it with you. Well, is this acceptable?" She nodded slowly. "Excellent, well, as I know that it is early in the pregnancy, I, however, would like it if tomorrow we went together to Madam Pomfrey for her to examine our child properly. Do you agree?" Again, she nodded. "Then I shall leave you to your dreams. Sleep well, Aurora." With that, he whirled around and silently left.

"What the hell?" Aurora exclaimed glancing at Salazar. "Oh, Merlin, I must be dreaming."