Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, I, like Harry, feel bad for what we did to poor Professor Sinistra in the last chapter so that's the reasoning behind this chapter. I'm sort of taking this story into a different direction now than what I intended originally, so I hope you enjoy. :)
Second and Final Meeting

A day later, Harry looked around at everyone in the group. He sighed softly. He had to admit that he himself was confused what happened last night. He had seen the kiss, which nearly made everyone cheer aloud. However, he had also seen Professor Sinistra run out of the Great Hall and leaving Snape there. Harry remembered thinking to himself that Snape should run after her. That's how the telly always showed these things. However, Snape remained fully rooted to the floor until he briskly walked out of the side door.

Harry sighed. He had followed Snape, wanting to make sure that the man followed Professor Sinistra. However, Snape only returned to his dungeons and disappeared behind the large portrait of Salazar Slytherin that guarded the door to his rooms. Harry remembered standing there staring at the portrait and thinking 'what the hell' for nearly two minutes before leaving. After the night's fiasco, he slowly walked up the stairs and towards the moving staircases. He instantly stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Professor Sinistra sitting on the step sobbing hysterically as Remus held her. Harry hadn't known what to do then.

When Remus's amber eyes caught Harry's, he glanced down ashamed of himself. He had ruined everything. Harry opened his mouth to say he was sorry to do anything, but his mouth wouldn't open. Remus only glanced at him and motioned with his eyes that Harry should return to the party. The young Gryffindor silently turned around and headed back to the Great Hall. However, the dance had taken a rather somber mood.

"All right, so we all saw what happened last night." Harry watched several students nod. "I talked it over with Malfoy, Luna, and Hannah this morning, and we've decided that we should just leave them alone." Harry then sighed heavily. "Instead of getting Snape off our backs, we've only managed to infuriate him more. I don't think I need to tell you how many points some of us have already lost." Harry watched a few students inwardly wince. Nearly every house (even Slytherin) was in the single digits for House points now. "I'm sorry, guys. I shouldn't have gotten you involved in this. It was a stupid idea."

"No. It wasn't, Harry," Hermione said. "You saw them last night."

"Yeah, Harry, that kiss last night, well, that wasn't no innocent kiss," Ron continued. A few of the other students shouted in agreement.

"Guys, look around. It's just us students in here. Hell, the professors aren't even here."

"Maybe that was the problem," Fred spoke up. "Dumbledore's tried and failed for years. Yet we all agreed with his idea. I mean, sure Ginny came up with the ball idea, but Dumbledore did the scheming of all the details." He then sighed. "Harry, we've come this far."

"You guys didn't see her last night," Harry responded angrily. "I can't do it, guys, and I won't."

"Do you honestly believe that Sinistra loves Scrimgeour, Potter?" Malfoy asked with a look of disgust.

"Yeah, I think she does," he answered. "Why else would she have been so upset last night?"

"Because she kissed the one guy she truly loves, but she knows that he's not ever going to allow himself to love her back," George replied. "Hell, we saw a bit of emotion from Snape last night, but it was only a bit. Sinistra gave herself to him last night. He gave her a miniscule part in return." He then shook his head before glancing at Fred.

"Yeah, and you saw how the greasy git acted last night after she left. He didn't even run after her. He just let her go."

"But forcing them together isn't the way to go, though, guys," Harry argued. "I mean, we only ended up making things worse these past few weeks. Hell, we've never seen Snape this peeved before."

"So what are you saying then, Harry? That we give up and allow them to continue to drift apart?" Ginny countered. "I can't do that. Harry, my brother was right. That kiss wasn't any innocent kiss they shared last night. They do both have feelings for one another."

"Why didn't he go after her then?"

"Fear maybe," answered Hermione.

"Since when have we ever seen Snape scared of anything?"

"Since when have we ever seen two of our professors sharing a kiss on a dance floor?" she retorted. She then sighed softly. "There's a first time for everything, Harry."

"I would have thought you of all people would agree with me disbanding it, Hermione," Harry said.

"Normally, you'd be right. This group started out for the sole reason of getting Professor Snape off everyone's back. However, somehow down the line, probably because of last night, we have now decided that we have just reasons for getting Professors Snape and Sinistra together that go beyond losing points."

"Oh, and just what are those just reasons?"

"Because we saw last night how our actions deeply affected them," Hermione responded softly. "If they didn't love each other, they'd only be taking their anger out on each other. However, they do love each other, though." She then sighed. "My mother always used to tell me that we sometimes hurt the people around us because we're afraid to lose. Maybe Snape's afraid to lose her. There certainly are plenty of reasons for that."

"Hermione, I can't do it. You didn't see after she left last night."

"No. I didn't, but I saw her on the dance floor with Snape. Harry, we all saw that kiss. They were relaxed, and if I had to say it, Snape was content." Hermione then inhaled. "However, I'm not saying that we keep gathering in here in secret behind closed doors plotting." She then glanced around before taking another deep breath. "Scheming is what got us into this mess in the first place. Keeping them in the dark why we come up with ways to force them together didn't work. You're right. It only made things worse. Therefore, we should perhaps come clean and tell them . . . all of us."

"They'd kill us," someone shouted from the back.

"No they wouldn't. We possibly would have to serve detentions that we deserved mind you. However, at least they'd know."

"Wait a minute. You want us to tell Snape and Sinistra that we've been trying to set them up. Are you insane?" Ron squawked indignantly.

Harry inhaled deeply before glancing at the floor. While he didn't like the idea of coming clean to them, he knew someone needed to do it. He glanced at all the students in the group that was either WAND if you were a Slytherin or HOPE if you were any other House. He couldn't allow any of them to enter that snake pit. It had been his fault. He had been angry with Snape giving him a detention so he thought it was a good idea to force Snape towards Professor Sinistra. However, last night, seeing his Astronomy professor on the steps crying, well, it definitely put things into perspective for Harry. He needed to make this right again. He drew in a breath before nodding slowly.

"I'll think about it, Hermione," Harry said, having already made up his mind. "Go on, guys. Go to your common rooms." He watched them slowly filter out until he was the last one. He had to make this right.