Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6: Saying Good-Bye

“Harry,” an ethereal voice echoed. “I think you’ve dropped this.”

Harry turned to see Luna Lovegood standing beside him, his candy-bar sized trunk in her outstretched hand. The Great Hall had been empty when he, Hermione, and Ron had arrived for breakfast, save for a couple of second year Hufflepuffs in a far corner.

Harry smiled. “Thanks, Luna.”

“Where are you going, Harry?” Luna asked.

“What makes you think he’s going anywhere?” Ron interrupted. Hermione nudged him.

“Well,” Luna said, “the only time I ever shrink my trunk that small is when I don’t want anyone to know I’m leaving.”

“Umm…” Harry uttered.

“Dumbledore has a special job for him,” Hermione volunteered.

“Ooohhh,” said Luna. “Will it be exciting?”

Harry thought about that. Helping to take care of Snape and doing homework alone in the Black manor with the memory of Sirius hanging over him and Mrs. Black yelling obscenities might be something that some would find exciting. “No, I think it will be kind of lonely actually.”

“Oh I understand,” Luna said, staring at him with those protuberant eyes. “Well, maybe Hermione can charm our DA coins to allow us to send messages back and forth. Then you won’t have to feel so alone.”

Harry stared at Luna and a slow smile spread across his face. He would miss her.

“That’s a wonderful idea, Luna!” Hermione said. “I’ll get to work on that right away.”

McGonagall swept up the long row in her tartan robes. “Are you ready, Mr. Potter?”

“Yes, Ma’am,” Harry said, getting up from his bench. On impulse, he hugged Luna and whispered, “Thanks for everything,” in her ear. Then he hugged Ron and Hermione and followed McGonagall out of the Great Hall.


“I believe you took something from Professor Snape last night,” Dumbledore pronounced after Harry and Professor McGonagall had entered his office.

When Harry looked blank, Dumbledore added, “The locket?”

“Oh!” Harry exclaimed, reaching into his pocket for it. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to take it, it just sort of…”

Dumbledore raised his hand to silence him. “Not to worry,” he said, “I just thought we should reinstate its original purpose. You have figured out what it is for, I presume?”

“A portkey to your office,” answered Harry.

“Precisely,” Dumbledore said, his eyes twinkling. “Only this time, I will make it a portkey to the hospital wing. Should Professor Snape’s condition unexpectedly worsen, I will expect you to use it at once. Its use will immediately alert Madam Pomfrey and myself.”

Harry nodded, watching the lines of worry deepen on his headmaster’s face.

“I will place it around Professor Snape’s neck before he is transported. If you should need to use it, clasp the locket in one hand while holding tightly onto Professor Snape’s arm in the other and say “Hogwarts Hospital Wing.”

“Thank you, Professor.”

“Don’t thank me, Harry,” Dumbledore sighed, “I imagine that leaving Hogwarts is the last thing you would wish. However, it is my responsibility to keep you safe above all else.”

“I understand,” said Harry, though he fervently wished as Dumbledore handed him the pewter tin of floo powder that he did not have to leave. Hogwarts was his home. The look in Dumbledore’s eyes told Harry that the headmaster knew what Harry was thinking.

“I will arrange for your friends to visit you on weekends,” Dumbledore said. “It seems only fair.”

“Thank you,” Harry said, shifting uneasily. “Sir? Do you think that I might… well… that I could help with stuff while I’m at Grimmauld Place? Like Order business? I mean, I’m almost of age and I’ll be right there…”

“Harry, my boy,” Dumbledore said, putting a hand on Harry’s shoulder, “you’ve done quite enough already. And I dare say that the most help you could give to the Order right now would be to take care of Professor Snape.”

“Right,” Harry said, studying his shoes. He did not want the headmaster to see his disappointment.

“And by the way, you won’t be returning to Grimmauld Place,” Dumbledore added.

“I won’t?” Harry asked, looking up.

Dumbledore removed his half-moon glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose, his blue eyes filled with sadness. “I rather thought you might find it difficult being there, what with the memories of your Godfather so fresh…”

Harry swallowed against the tightness in his throat, thankful that the headmaster realized just how difficult this all was for Harry.

To be continued...