Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Just like the title said and a few thoughts from Molly on Severus and Harry.
Dating Advice from Fred and George

***September 17, 1986-5:16 p.m. ***

"Well…How am I supposed to get them to kiss?" Harry huffed.

A gnome stuck its potato head out of its hole. Harry dove for it, but the little blighter was too quick and he was rewarded with a mouthful of dirt. With his grubby hands he tried to wipe the dirt from his tongue. He loved de-gnoming the garden with the Weasley boys. It was one of the funnest things in the world to do.

***5:18 p.m. ***

Molly Weasley was watching the children from the kitchen window. Fred…or was it George…was trying to teach Harry some of the finer points of de-gnoming the garden. Harry had leapt out at a gnome too soon and had bit the dust…literally. Ron had managed to trap one under a bucket. Percy and George…or was it Fred… were 'discussing' the best way to the keep the blighter from escaping. As long as the 'discussion' did not look as though it would erode into fisticuffs, she would allow them to work out the problem on their own.

Molly had been criticised by some friends for the practice of having the children fling the gnomes from the garden. They pointed out that it was pointless. Gnomes were too resilient and would always find their way back. But Molly adamantly refused to use Gnome-icide. As much of a bane to her vegetable garden they were, she did not have the heart to kill them.

Her trio had been distracted when Fred…or was it George…called them over to Harry. That momentary diversion was all the gnome under the bucket needed to make good its escape. Molly could not help but laugh at the escapades. Percy went running after the fugitive and Ron and George…or was it Fred…went to what their brother wanted. Ginny…who had been sitting under the oak tree petting her cat, decided to go help Percy in his quest.

She would have to call Harry in soon. Severus would be there to pick him up before long and the child was filthy. Forget trying to simply Vanish the dirt. She was going to have to Scurgify the child before presenting him to his godfather.

Molly could not but marvel in the change that had come over Harry the past year. Never had she seen a child that had been so starved for a parent's affection. Albus had recommended to Severus to have Molly watch over Harry whilst he taught during the day. The first day Severus had left Harry alone with her, the child sat stoically in front of the Floo his entire stay. No matter how much she had tried to coax him, no matter how much the children tried to invite them into their play, Harry would not budge. She had to physically bring him to the table for lunch, and he went directly back to his spot after barely eating enough to feed a bird.

Severus had been astonished how quickly and without question Harry had become attached him. Severus was not even certain he could handle his new-found guardianship…before meeting Harry; he proclaimed he did not desire it. However, upon finding Lily's son bedded inside a broom closet, Severus could not leave the boy behind. His indignation of being coerced into raising the 'spawn of Potter' had quickly turned into indignation for how 'Lily's child' was being so cruelly treated.

To see the laughing, playing child now in comparison to a year and a half ago…well there is no comparison. When Severus first found Harry, the child was about the size of a three year old toddler though he was nearly five when Albus and Severus had taken him from the Dursley's. Harry had been overworked, underfed and unloved. It was certain that if Harry had remained under the care of his Muggle relatives the neglect would have eventually escalated into violent abuse.

According to Severus…it was as if Harry knew that there was someone out there that would someday rescue him. Harry thought that perhaps his relatives had lied and at least one of his parents was still out there, trying to find him. Severus had come to Harry as an answer to a small child's prayer. Severus had delicately explained to Harry that his parents James and Lily were indeed gone and that he, Severus, was 'merely' his godfather. Still, although little Harry claimed to understand that his real mummy and daddy were gone, he still equated the word 'godfather' to 'father' and 'father' to 'daddy'. Severus had confided in Molly that he would do everything he could to be deserving of the moniker.

Molly felt some small bit of pride that she had something to do with Harry and Severus being united, and a bit of guilt that all of Severus' questions as to why Lily had named him godfather could not be answered.

Molly had received a letter from Lily soon after the Potters had gone into hiding. It was the last letter she had received from the woman she had come to regard as a younger sister. They were both members of the Order and along with Alice Longbottom, were pregnant at the same time. The women had bonded immediately.

The letter Lily sent Molly was full of regret in regards to an old friend named Severus Snape. Lily had not gone into details with Molly but asked a favour of her. Attached to the post were two more letters, one to be given to the Magical Bureau of Vital Statistics and the other was to go to Severus. Lily had told Molly what to do with them and about the contents of the one to the bureau. That particular post was to be taken and given to the bureau on the occasion that something happened to James and Lily but not until after Severus had been proven in court that he was indeed a spy and had turned to the side of Light. The latter request had been at the insistace of James. She told Molly that she believed that she had been sorely mistaken about her old friend and had named him as Harry's second godfather. Lily never told her what was in the correspondence to Severus, and it seems that no one would ever know.

Upon returning from Albus Dumbledore for advice after Severus had been exonerated from Death Eater activities and it had been revealed that he had indeed been a valuable spy for the Light, Molly found that the second letter that she had left in her desk drawer had turned up missing. The entire familyplowwed through the Burrow in an effort to find it. It would not come to Molly and Arthur's summons. It was gone. Molly had hope that the letter had somehow been charmed to go to its intended recipient, but she might never know. Perhaps it had and Severus chose to remain closed lip about it. It was just like him. She could only hope. But if the letter was gone forever….

It was out of habit that Molly turned to Albus for advice before taking Lily's letter to the Ministry. But Albus had said there was no way Severus could obtain custody of Harry. There were strong Blood Wards centred on Lily's sister. Harry would be safe from this enemies nowhere else. It would do no good to have hopes shattered and hearts broken.

It was in a reminiscing tea Albus had with Severus that changed everything. Severus had regaled the Blood Brother/Sister ritual between him and Lily as children and Albus had jumped at the opportunity to take Harry out of the unloving home. Severus had been reluctant, thinking himself unworthy and unqualified to take on the responsibility, not to mention Albus was actually suggesting that he, Severus Snape, raise James Potter's 'brat.'

It had taken nearly a week for Severus to be talked into at least meeting Harry. The rest was history.

Molly had her reservations about Severus Snape at first. Bill's stories of the new Potion's professor and his surly disposition and his acerbic tongue had her concerned. If Harry Potter's Muggle relatives had been as bad as Albus Dumbledore had asserted, wasn't he taking little Harry out of the cauldron and into the fire?

It was not long before Molly's concerns were put to rest. Severus at first seemed every bit as ill-tempered as Bill had described. But Molly could tell there was more to the wizard than met the eye. She likened Severus to that kind of sweet that was hard and sour on the outside, but once you broke through, he was rather soft and sweet in the centre. Merlin forbid, Severus ever found out that's how Molly equated him.

Even Bill has commented that 'fatherhood' has tempered the man's temperament. Last spring, Severus had even taken the time to teach her younger children some simple potions on a Saturday afternoon. He had taught them a harmless potion that would turn their hair blue for a day and one that would make everything they ate taste like marmalade.

Instant hero worship on the part of the twins.

It took Ron and Percy a little more time to come around and Ginny still thought the dour man a bit scary, but she would come around in time as well. Bill and Charlie now considered him amongst their favourite professors and Arthur openly calls him 'a friend'.

In fact, Molly has begun to think of Severus like a younger brother, much in the same way she had thought of Lily as a younger sister.

Harry is no longer the unloved little boy, starved for any affection he can get. He has grown confident in the knowledge that Severus is a parent who loves him and will not neglect or abuse him. He was starting to forget what his life was with the Dursleys. She knew that when this past spring Harry had wanted to join in on the de-gnoming with her children. Severus had been weary to have Harry participate in household chores considering the child's past. But Harry had decided on his own to join in on the task.

Because of Harry, Severus had found it safe to let himself feel. Harry and Severus had saved each other.

Molly had found her reflecting disturbed by the sound of tiny scampering feet. Scabbers had joined her in the kitchen window sill. He was standing on his back legs looking out, obviously waiting for Percy to come in and feed him.

"Scabbers…shoo," Molly said gently as she nudged him from the window. "You know better than to climb up here." Scabbers scuttled down to the floor and Molly tossed him a piece of sliced carrot. "There- tuck into that until Percy comes in to feed you proper."

The rat sniffed the offered food, grabbed it between its incisors and ran up the stairs. No sooner than that had happened, her Floo had come to life. Molly walked into her sitting room, knife and carrot still in hand. "Severus…you're a few minutes early…come…step through," she said as she walked back into her kitchen.

Severus gracefully stepped through. He turned his head as he noticed Percy's pet rat scurry up the stairs. He brought his attention back to Molly. "I know I'm a few minutes early, Molly. I understand if Harry isn't ready yet." He followed her in the kitchen and spied Harry in the garden happily playing with the children. He seemed heartened to watch the children play.

Molly put down her chore. "Just give me a moment, Severus. I'll have Harry cleaned up for you."

"That's quite alright, Molly. Let him have a few more minutes."

"You look like it's been one of those days," Molly observed.

"You have no idea," Severus said as he blew out a breath. He spent the next fifteen minutes recounting Lucy's examination and what Kenneth had tried to do.

***5:18 p.m. ***

Fred had told Harry that to get Miss Lucy to fancy his daddy; they (his daddy and Miss Lucy) were going to have to kiss. He and George had overheard Bill talking to Charlie about kissing girls one night... And Bill was a right smart bloke.

"Oy, Fred…what's got your knickers in a twist?" asked George as he approached, Ron hot on his heels.

Fred hitched his thumb towards Harry. "Got any suggestions on how Harry can get his dad and Miss Lucy to kiss?"

Ron scowled his face in a disgusted look. "Why would Harry's dad want to kiss a girl?"

Fred rolled his eyes, "Because, Harry's dad doesn't fancy a bloke…he fancies Miss Lucy."

"Maybe, he could give her a potion." George suggested enthusiastically, "He's brilliant with those."

Harry thought about it then shook his head, "I don't think Daddy would do that…It would be like cheating, besides I don't think he knows he's supposed to kiss her," Harry said sagely, as if he were now more savvy about boy/girl relationships at the ripe old age of six than his own daddy.

Fred and George suddenly had an epiphany that stemmed from that same ease-dropped conversation of Bill and Charlie's. "They need to be alone. They need to go on a date," they chimed in at once.

"What's a date?" Harry and Ron asked at the same time.

"That's when a bloke asks a girl he fancies…"
"…to go someplace alone with him."
"Like taking her to dinner…"
"…and then he would at least have to kiss her goodnight." Apparently, Fred and George had heard all they needed to know about going out with girls in that ten minute, overheard conversation.

Harry looked all at once excited and then disappointed. "How is that going to happen? He won't leave me to go out on a date. Not after that house elf fell asleep. The only time he lets me away from him is when I'm here."

"Then ask him if you can stay with us one night," Ron suggested. "Maybe he might get lonely and ask her out and then he can kiss her," he said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

Fred and George patted their little brother on the back for his ingenious insight. "We may be proud…"
"…to call you 'Weasley' yet, little brother."

***5:33p.m. ***

"Oh my, Severus," Molly exclaimed as she put her hands over her mouth in disbelief. "How could a man attempt to do something like that to his own child?"

Severus was having trouble with that very notion himself. He loved Harry as his very own, and always would, but what he would not give to have a child with a woman he loved. Some men did not realise how blessed they were. Musgrave was a fool, but more than that, he had proven himself a monster.

"It only goes to show how complacent we have become after the War." Severus remarked gravely. "It is a reminder that there a wizards still amongst us that can give the Dark Lord lessons in evil."

"How is Lucy after this ordeal?"

Severus was studying his sleeve, removing an imaginary piece of lint in an attempt not to look at Molly in the face and reveal his own feelings. "She is doing as well as can be expected. A man who had professed to love her, tried to enslave her, kill their child, then called her a whore," he swallowed hard after that. He should not have been so demonstrative towards Lucy in front of the man. Severus felt more than a little guilt for causing the woman pain.

"Poor child," Molly lamented. "She doesn't need to be alone. Perhaps I can pay her a visit and sit with her after supper."

"She is not alone. Aberforth is staying with her this evening." Severus would tell her the story behind that, but that was another jar of flubber worms to open and there was no time.

Suffice it to say, that after the Aurors had asked their questions and left with Musgrave, it was all Severus could do to keep the Dumbledore brother's from duelling in the hospital. He had to remind them that a very upset Lucy was in Poppy's office and could hear everything they were saying. Actually, that was a lie on Severus' part. He had cast a Muffliato spell so Lucy wouldn't be upset by the goings on outside the office door. But Albus and Aberforth need not know that.

The Ministry Potions Master that came along with the Aurors and confirmed what Severus' nose had already told him to be true. Kenneth had indeed tried to slip Lucy Amortentia. Severus caught the familiar smell of warm grass on a hot summer's day and also something new, lemongrass and citrus. He quickly pushed to the back of his mind the ramifications of that.

Molly arose from her chair then walked over and patted Severus on the hand. "Severus, if there is anything I can do for either of you, you will let me know…yes?" Molly looked up and out the window and realised it was getting late. "Oh my…I need to get my own scrubbed and fed." She hurried over to the back door and called the children in from the garden.

Severus arose from his chair. "Thank you for bending your ear, Molly. But I believe everything will turn out fine in the end. Aberforth will take good care of his granddaughter."

Molly did not have a chance to answer, as a thunderous heard came stampeding through her back door. The twins stopped to formally shake Severus' hand before they headed upstairs after their brothers and sister. Severus sombrely obliged.

A very dirty Harry stopped right before Severus and grinned. "I was helping de-gnome the garden," he said proudly.

"Sorry about that, Severus," Molly said. "I meant to have him cleaned up before you arrived."

Severus pursed his lips and pointed his wand at Harry. The dirt began to disappear as if it were being sucked into a vacuum. However, it did nothing to rid the smell of sweaty little boy. "It seems to me as if you were digging gnome holes, rather than try to rid the garden of them," Severus commented. "You will need a shower before supper, young man."

"Can't I take a bath instead?" Harry moaned as Severus led him to the Floo.

"No you may not. You will only succeed in creating mud." Severus turned and faced Molly. "Thank you again, Molly…for everything."

Molly smiled and waved them off. "There is no need for thanks, Severus…you know it is always my pleasure."

At that, Severus picked up his smelly child, and in a rush of green flame, Flooed home.

***6:30 p.m. ***

Lucy was sure Pawpaw thought she was asleep. No charm or potion could get her to sleep right now, though her body felt numb, her mind was in too much turmoil.

Pawpaw had finally left her alone in her room and went to her small kitchen to make himself something to eat.

It was just as well, Lucy was not in the mood for company.

Confusion...anger...guilt...All negative emotions that just bombarded her at once.

What could Kenneth have possibly been thinking? Did he really think that she would or could ever forgive him for such a heinous act? That she could ever forget her child?

Lucy closed her eyes tighter and concentrated on steadying her breathing as she protectively put her hands on her womb.

She was contemplating how she was going to manage to attend Kenneth's trial without throwing an AK at the man. Perhaps she could plead temporary insanity or justifiable homicide. Did they have such a defence in Britain?

Lucy let out a heavy sigh. She turned over and buried her face in her pillow to keep from screaming. She should have followed her first instinct to quit Kenneth and be done of him.

It would have been preferable to go through life as the bitch that would not let her child know its father. Now what was Lucy going to tell her daughter about Kenneth? How to explain that the child's father went to Azkaban for trying to kill her before she was even born?

Could Lucy ever reveal the truth to her? Lucy hated to lie, but she knew in the end she would. She would never place that burden on her girl.

Why couldn't the answers be simple? Why couldn't life be simple? Lucy didn't think she was a bad person. Why were bad things happening to her? Being a single mother was not how Lucy had envisioned her life. This was not part of her plan.

Lucy lifted her head from her pillow, turned on her side and wiped away a stray tear. She was getting angry now. She was loathing herself for wallowing in her own self pity. Honestly, things could be a lot worse and she was made of sterner stuff than this.

She had already decided at one point she would be a single mother and it wasn't as if had no recourse. Lucy would simply go back to her original plan. Go home where family would be close at hand to help and live off her book royalties until her daughter was old enough to attend school, and then Lucy could go back to teaching. Lucy could make a very good life for her and her daughter.

And it's not as if she would be alone either. Not only was there Mama and Daddy. She would also come back and visit Scotland where she always had Pawpaw, Uncle Albus, Hagrid…and Severus.

Lucy's chest clinched as she thought of him. Why did she ask him to be her child's godfather? The man had enough on his plate without the added burden of her child.

Severus Snape was the guardian of none other than Harry Potter. Being as close as she was to the two, it was hard to see Harry as anything other than a rambunctious little boy. After all, that is exactly what he is. But reality was cruel. As ridiculous as it was, the poor child was heralded as the saviour of the wizarding world.

Severus had enough on his hands protecting his own child. She had no right to ask him to encumber himself in her messed up life.

As much as Lucy wished desperately for things to be different as far as Severus was concerned, she would go home to the States so he could concentrate on living his life and raising his son.

For some reason, Lucy began to cry again. She yearned to speak to Severus, but dared not ask for him.

***8:46 p.m. ***

Kenneth was being led out of Processing into the dark bowels of Azkaban prison to await his trial.

Azkaban was not only considered Hell for its use of Dementors. There was no distinction made between those awaiting trial, petty criminals, and cold hearted murderers. All were thrown into the same general population.

So a street urchin, pick-pocket could be thrown into a cell right next to one of You-Know-Who's Death Eaters. The only difference was time served.

Kenneth was now being guided to his new home by his guard-A Dementor.

The cursed wraith need not have sucked out Kenneth's soul. Its very proximity was enough to evoke visions of lurid scenarios of Lucy and Snape as they laughed together at Kenneth's pain.

Kenneth could not help but notice the drooling, filth encrusted, near comatose inhabitants of the cells. He shook down to his core with the realisation that he was staring at his own fate.

He and his grim companion were nearly at the end of the corridor when Kenneth noticed a strange prisoner in the cell that was next to the one that would be his own.

A great, black dog.

Since when did Azkaban become a dog prison?