Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Lucy's faimily comes for a brief visit...And who is this mysterious Alf?
Meet the O'Conners (or Pig in a Pen)

***26, September, 1986***

Harry was sitting in his bath. The bubbles were almost gone, but he had not even bothered to wash yet. He wasn't in a good mood. He had fallen asleep last night at Miss Lucy's and he didn't know if Daddy had kissed her yet. It was enough to drive his six year old brain to distraction. He splashed the few remaining bubbles in frustration.

"Harry…what are you doing?" Severus put his head around the bathroom door. His lips pursed with annoyance when he noticed Harry's hair was barely wet. "Harry, have you even picked up the flannel?"

Harry saw his daddy come in and figured he better start washing himself before Daddy came in and did it for him. "Um…yes sir," he said as he hurriedly began to wash his face.

But it was too late. His daddy had already removed his frockcoat and began rolling up his sleeves. He knelt down next to the tub and grabbed the bottle of no-tear shampoo that was sitting on the edge. Harry decided he better duck his head under the water before his daddy did.

Harry squinched his eyes tight. He didn't buy that 'no-tears' guff about the shampoo, and his daddy would add a lot.


"Honestly, Harry…you're turning into a prune. You're old enough to do this yourself. Why must you insist on dawdling?"

Severus had to stop for a moment. Somehow, a memory of his mother saying the same thing had sprung to mind. "Merlin…I sound like my mother," he muttered.

"I was wondering something."

"What were you wondering?" Severus inquired as he lathered Harry's head.

"Did you kiss Miss Lucy last night?"

Severus was abashed. "Harry Potter! What an impertinent question."

"Well did you?"

Severus continued to lather Harry's head. He could hardly believe the boys cheek. "Rinse, Harry," he finally said.

Harry pinched his nose and obliged, but when he came back up he asked again. "Did you?"

"Not that it is any of your business, but of course not."

"Why not?" Harry asked as he began washing his limbs with the soap and flannel. "Don't you fancy her?"

"Of cour…where did you come up with these notions?" Severus shook his head. He almost said too much.

"Well, Fred and George said when a bloke fancies a girl, he should kiss her."

"Of course they would," Severus said dryly as he took towel from the rack and placed it over his knees. "Harry, a gentleman does not go around kissing every girl they fancy."

Harry arose from the tub, dripping wet in his nakedness."Do you fancy more than one girl?"

Severus reached for his wand he had set aside with his coat and emptied the tub. "No. I don't fancy more than one girl." he said irritably. He put his wand back down, then began rubbing Harry's head dry.

"Then you only fancy Miss Lucy."

Severus sighed and wrapped the towel around his boy then marched him into his bedroom. The child was too perceptive for Severus' own good. "Harry, do you have a point?"

"I think you should kiss her."

Well, if that wasn't straight and to the point, Severus didn't know what was.

***2 October, 1986***

The week had been a whirlwind. At least it was for Lucy. Saturday had been her outing to the Callanish Stone with the third through fifth years. The day had gone relatively well until a fifth year Gryffindor boy and his girlfriend had gone off on their own into the burial chamber to make out. Lucy hated having to give them detention. Not because she felt any sympathy for them, but it cut into her time helping Pawpaw get ready for the family visit.

She had spent most of her free time after classes in Hogsmead in order to help Pawpaw prepare the living quarters for their family's arrival. They opened up every window, chased out every cobweb and scrubbed the living quarters and guest rooms of the Hog's Head from pillar to post.

Lucy found herself taking more breaks than she would have cared for. But between having to frequently pee and just being plain old tired, she needed them. Being as small as she was, her pregnancy would be obvious soon. She was only now approaching the end of her first trimester, but Lucy was afraid she was going to look as though she swallowed a Quaffle before too long.

The one thing this past week had ensured, she was going to have to make a decision soon about what she intended to do with her life. Kenneth's trial was set for November 19th. She figured that was a long time to wait, but he could rot as far as she cared.

Zebadiah Wodworth's offer had her intrigued. He was the manuscript curator for the British Museum of Magical History. He had been awed by Lucy's reproductions, her skill and her dedication to detail. What he had offered her was no less than the chance of a lifetime. It would definitely mean staying in the Isles. The responsibility was unphantomable. The work would take years, possibly decades to complete. It was an offer she could not take lightly and it had to be carefully considered.

Had she not been expecting a child, she would have accepted on the spot. After all, she had no illusions that a chance like this would ever come her way again, but she could not put her full effort into it for a couple more years. At least not until the baby was weaned.

"Are you alright there, girl?" Aberforth asked as he came in the bedroom with an armful of fresh linens.

"Just getting tired…are you sure you don't want me to at least take Mama and Daddy. After you put up Allen and Alf too, you won't have any room for paying guests." She arose from the chair she was sitting in to help Pawpaw tuck in sheets.

"Well, it's not as though I have them beating my door down to stay overnight, now is it?"

"Speaking of guests, you'll need to go down and help Cora soon." It wasn't that the Hogs Head would exactly have a dinner crowd. It was just that crowd became dodgier as the evening progressed and it would not do to have a single barmaid working alone.

Aberforth looked around the room and approved. "I think I'm ready for my company. Will you be alright getting back to Hogwarts? I can ask Ol' Jack to see you back."

"I'll be fine Pawpaw…it's still early. I'll make it back before sundown." Lucy had taken to walking lately. Apparating or taking the Floo was disorienting enough in the best of circumstances. She found it was exponentially worse when one was pregnant.

Aberforth followed her down the stairs. "Just keep your wand handy…I don't like the idea of you walking alone at night."

Lucy leaned over and kissed her Pawpaw on the cheek. "Pawpaw, I've been walking this route every evening. I'll be fine."

Lucy was true to her word. She made it back to the gates just before sunset. She could see off in the distance one of the Quidditch teams practicing. There were students still outside enjoying the crisp autumn air that had finally made its appearance and she drew her heavy cloak closer around her. The leaves on the trees would hit their peak colours in another week or two.

She was in half a mind to see if Severus and Harry were over at the Quidditch practice. The child usually managed to drag Severus out for an hour or so in the evenings.

Lucy stopped and sat on a stone wall and thought better of it. Not only was she very tired, she didn't want to encroach on Severus' private time with his son. That is how she saw Harry…as Severus' son. Technically, Severus only had guardianship of Harry, but Lucy was thinking that the man really ought to adopt the boy out-right. She had seen parents and children bonded by blood who would never be so close.

Lucy felt her womb. She still was not noticeably pregnant, but she could tell she would be soon. She thought that although the baby's father was a piece of…work, she would definitely be surrounded by love. Lucy would be a fiercely loving and protective mother, and her family would always be right there for them.

Which brought Lucy back to her conundrum. What to do about Wodworth's offer? She really wanted to accept it, but that would mean being an ocean away from her parents and siblings. Yes she had Pawpaw, Uncle Albus, and even Severus. But Pawpaw and Uncle Albus were not exactly spring chickens and Severus had his own responsibilities with Harry.

Deep down, a part of Lucy hoped that perhaps Severus would…but she would dash the thought out of her head before it could fully form. She would not give herself the opportunity to dream. Not that one.

***3 October, 1986***

The owl had come that afternoon. They were there, at the Hog's Head.

Lucy was heading back down, this time, with Severus, Harry and Albus. The only time Albus would visit the Hog's Head was when Esther visited with family.

High up on the hill, they could hear it...the music. It was obvious that Allen had not only brought his guitar. "I do believe your father brought his banjo," Albus commented. "Harry…Severus, you're in for a real treat."

Lucy's father was born and raised in blue grass country. Close enough that Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia could have a spitting contest across the Ohio River.

Lucy could hardly keep herself from running down the hill. But she was holding Harry's hand along with Severus and conceded that his little legs would never keep up.

"If your brother is on the guitar and your father the banjo, who's playing the violin?" Severus asked.

"Severus…that is no violin," Lucy admonished. "That is a fiddle, and it most likely belongs to Alf." Alf had once confided that he wanted to be a concert violinist but he couldn't because once he began missing concerts during the full moon his 'fury little problem' would become obvious.

"What's a fiddle?" asked Harry.

"A fiddle is a fast talking violin," Lucy proudly told Harry.

Harry continued to inquirer. "Is there a difference between a fiddle and a violin?"

Lucy laughed, "Only about three thousand dollars."


When the group was finally in sight of Aberforth's pub, the 'Foggy Mountain Breakdown' had ended and Lucy heard her Daddy break out singing 'Mountain Dew'. What had astonished them all was the crowd that had gathered at the Hog's Head. The Three Broomsticks had to be deserted. It looked like every person in the village was at Aberforth's door tonight. Lucy had to usher everyone through the back because it was standing room only at the front.

"Do you see them?" Severus said as he scanned the crowd. He picked up Harry so he wouldn't lose him. Severus was looking for Aberforth. At least he would recognise him. He spotted who he assumed to be the famous Dr. Richard O'Conner, An unassuming gentleman with salt and pepper hair. He was wearing dark glasses and playing a banjo like a mad hatter. Could that really be the Potion Master's Potion Master?

Most of the pub had been cleared of tables as people were laughing and dancing.

Well my Uncle Nort, he was sawed off and short
measured 'bout five foot two
but he felt like a giant when he got him a pint
of that good ol' mountain dew…

Severus noticed the rest of the make shift band. A young man with Lucy's hair colour and eyes playing a twelve string guitar, he had at least a foot and maybe seven stone on his older sister. A local had joined in with his bodhrán. Severus could not see the 'fiddle player' very well. He could only see sandy hair, yet he seemed somehow very familiar.

"There's Mama!" Lucy shouted. Severus watched as Lucy pushed her way through the crowd. A stout, yet very pretty older witch was helping Aberforth serve drinks to his unexpected crowd. She made her tray disappear at the sight of Lucy.

She could be Lucy if Lucy were twenty years older and bore five children. Considering Mrs. O'Conner was at least thirty years older than Lucy, Severus figured Lucy had nothing to worry about as far as aging was concerned.


"There's a lot of people in here, Daddy," Harry had to yell in his daddy's ear.

There were almost a hundred people gathered in and around the little pub to listen to the foreigners play. Harry was staring in wide wonder. He and his daddy had come to visit Mr. Dumbledore few times, but Harry never saw this many people here. There were even other little kids with their parents. It was like a big neighbourhood party.


Severus jerked his head at Harry, yelling directly into his ear. He nodded in agreement with Harry.

Severus could not hear the joyous reunion between mother and daughter, but he could see it. It was a tearful embrace, but a happy one. He could see Mrs. O'Conner tuck a stray strand of hair behind her youngest daughter's ear as she said something and kissed her on the cheek. Aberforth came over and spoke into Mrs. O'Conner's ear. Lucy's mother looked like she was about to protest something, but Aberforth was pointing at the only empty booth. It had obviously been warded and was awaiting Lucy's arrival. Aberforth was insistent and ushered his granddaughter and great-granddaughter over and he went back to work. Lucy nodded. Mrs. O'Conner then pointed to the players and motioned for Lucy to sit down.

Before she did so, Lucy looked about and spotted Severus, Harry and Albus. She said something to her mother and gestured for her companions to join them.

"Come along, Severus. I want to ask Esther and Lucy for a dance before Richard and Allen stop playing," Albus goaded as he lightly pushed Severus through the crowd.

The trio jostled their way to the booth. It was a large one shaped like a horseshoe. Lucy and Mrs. O'Conner's back were to them. Severus stopped at the table and Albus tapped his niece on the shoulder.

Mrs. O'Conner turned around. "Uncle Al!" she arose and hugged Albus.

Lucy was sitting on the opposite side of her mother. She reached out and touched her mother's arm. "Mama…You haven't met Severus and his godson Harry." She had to speak loudly so her mother could hear over the pub noise.

Mrs. O'Conner took Severus' free hand and clasped it between hers. "Severus…It is so good to finally meet you. From what Lucy tells me you received my replies." Her Carolinian accent was slightly stronger than Lucy's. Severus thought it was charmingly lyrical.

"Yes…thank you Mrs. O'Conner." Severus had to lean forward in order to be heard. "The house elves were able to follow your instructions after a couple of false starts. How much do I owe you for shipping the grits?"

"Not a cent. And please, call me Esther. You're among friends," she offered the opposite side of the booth. "Harry, would you care for some pumpkin juice?"

Harry looked at his daddy. His daddy said it was okay and Harry answered back "Yes…thank you, Miss Esther."

Severus and Harry slid into the booth and Esther said, "You have a sweet boy, Severus."

Before Severus could answer Albus asked Esther "My dear, would you care for a dance?"

Right about that time, the song had changed to 'Uncle Pen'. Esther offered up her hands. "What are you waiting for?" Then Albus whirled her around the room and they were lost in a sea of dancing.

Severus and Lucy leaned into the table so they could hear each other talk. "You did not mention your father played as well." Severus almost had to yell over the din.

"I told you that my grandpa taught his kids and grandkids, Daddy qualifies as the former."

Aberforth stopped by the table and sat a glass of water and goat's milk in front of Lucy. "I know you're not terribly fond a goat's milk, but it's good for you," he said to Lucy. Lucy groused, but dutifully drank the milk. "Will you be having ale, Severus?"

"Just one and a pumpkin juice for Harry." Aberforth went to get their order. Severus looked across the room and saw Esther say a quick word to her husband during the instrumental interlude. Dr. O'Conner was bending his ear to his wife yet never missed a cord. It was then that Severus had a good look at the violinist for the first time, "Merlin's Bollocks!"

"Daddy!" Harry snickered.


"Severus…You look like you've seen a ghost." Severus' profanity took her by surprise. He rarely swore and never in front of Harry.

"I have…the violinist…"

"Alf…you know Alf?"

"Lupin…Remus Lupin."

Lucy looked taken aback. She thought Alf had been bitten as a child. Now she wondered if he was born a werewolf, or perhaps one of his parents was a seer.

"You're kidding right? Remus Lupin? What an apropos name. Are you friends?"

"Hardly."

"Oh." Lucy did not press for details.

Remus Lupin was in a world of his own. If he had been playing any faster, his violin would probably begin to smoke from the friction of bow to string.

The music stopped and Dr. O'Conner shouted over the crowd. "Where's my little Lucy?"

The customers took advantage of the break to get their drinks. Aberforth's two barmaids and part time bartender were swamped.

Lucy got up and made her way through the crowd. "Here I am, Daddy." The reunion was every bit as touching as it was with her mother. After the initial embrace, Dr. O'Conner took his daughter's face in his hands. Lucy stood still as his sensitive fingers brushed across her brow, her nose, then lingered across the watery smile on her lips.

"There's my pretty girl," he whispered before he kissed her cheek.

"Hey, don't your little brother get a hug?" Allen's accent was every bit as thick as his mother's. Upon hearing him speak for the first time, a stranger may not realise he held an IQ of 155.

Lucy's 'little' brother stood up to his whole six foot three and engulfed his 'big' sister with his embrace. "Hey…I have to pee enough without you squeezing it out of me."

Allen eyes were filled with concern for his sister. "How are you doin', Big Sister." he looked at Lucy's slightly thickened waistline. "Do you need me to kick anybody's ass for you?"

"I'm fine, Little Brother. And I'm perfectly capable of kicking 'somebody's ass' should the need arise."

Lucy and Allen had resorted to calling each other 'Little Brother' and 'Big Sister' ever since Allen hit his growth spurt. The irony of the little brother being twice the size of his big sister had not escaped them. In fact, not only was Allen the youngest, he was the largest of all the O'Conner siblings.

Lucy then looked over to Remus. "Alf…I think I brought an old 'friend' of yours."

"Who?" Remus asked. His eyes scoured the room until he spotted Esther sitting with the headmaster and…"Severus Snape?" he swallowed hard when he saw the little doppelganger of James Potter sitting next to Severus.

Before Lucy could answer, her father asked "Severus Snape? I want to meet that boy."

"Hold on there, Papa. We can't go off talking potions without playing one for Lucy," Allen reminded their father.

Lucy grinned slyly. "I'm in the mood for a 'love song'. How fast can you saw that fiddle, Alf?"

Remus grinned right back, "In half if need be."

"Don't worry, Big Sister. Remy can keep up. What do you want to hear?"

"Ohh…'Pig in a Pen'," she said in an 'innocent' sugary voice.

"I hope you can keep up, Remy." Dr. O'Conner said as he pretended to fan off his clawhammer banjo.

"You two just worry about yourselves, Doc," Remus said as he took his resin from his case.

"How 'bout you Jack?" Lucy asked the quite, gruff man seated behind her family. He was one of Pawpaw's regulars and never said much. He simply grunted and nodded.

"He'll know what to do once we get started. Now go fetch your partner, Big Sister," Allen laughed as he picked up his prized Gibson.

The musicians began to ready their instruments for the challenge Lucy had set forth. Customers gathered around in anticipation of what the Americans had to offer next.

When Lucy got back to the table, her mother and Severus were in deep conversation. Harry was up on his knees looking over the back of the booth at the goings on.

"Lucy…I believe it is your turn," Albus said as he arose from the booth.

"I think you can keep up Uncle Albus."

Just then, the break neck rhythm of the banjo, guitar, and fiddle filled the air. It took a few bars before the Jack could keep in time with his bodhrán. Allen's high tenor voice broke in and Albus had Lucy spinning around the floor.

I got a pig at home in a pen
and corn to feed him on,
all I need's a pretty little girl
to feed him when I'm gone…

"Don't that make you wanna just go out and kiss a girl?" Allen shouted.

Albus and Lucy were swirling around the floor with about ten other couples. Lucy was laughing and thoroughly enjoying herself. Remus was indeed keeping up with her father and brother.

After their second time around the floor, Albus noticed Severus tapping his foot in time. He also noticed Harry looking anxious. Uncle Albus could almost see what Harry was planning. As they swept past the booth, Albus grabbed Severus' by the arm as Harry simultaneously pushed him from the booth.

Goin' up a mountain top
to sow a little cane
raise a barrel of sorghum
Little Liza Jane…

I got a pig at home in a pen
and corn to feed him on,
all I need's a pretty little girl
to feed him when I'm gone…

Severus had suddenly found himself with his arms around Lucy. Lucy looked just as stunned to find herself suddenly with a new dance partner. The miraculous part was they never missed a step. Lucy threw her head back and laughed, her face flushed with excitement.  Her hair was whipping through the air and her turquoise eyes were snapping. Severus couldn't help but to smile. He had never seen her so happy.

Yonder comes that gal o' mine
how do ya think I know,
Know her by that gingham gown
hangin' down so low…

I got a pig at home in a pen
and corn to feed him on,
all I need's a pretty little girl
to feed him when I'm gone…

The musicians were playing so fast, one could almost see the smoke rise from their instruments. Some of the dancers had already quit. The pace was too exhausting. But Lucy was dancing fuelled by the adrenaline of being with her family and being in the arms of the man she lo…highly esteemed.

Something caught Lucy's attention. She tapped Severus' shoulder and pointed that he should look behind him. Harry had found himself a little dancing partner, a little girl about his age with brown hair and pink ribbons. They were more like trying to keep from stepping on each other's toes than actually dancing, but they were having fun nonetheless.

Both of Severus' eyebrows rose at once. He was afraid he was going to have a little girl chaser on his hands. As he and Lucy spun around the floor, they kept craning their necks to watch Harry's escapades.

Dark clouds arising
surely a sign of rain
Put your grey bonnet on
little Liza Jane…

I got a pig at home in a pen
and corn to feed him on,
all I need's a pretty little girl
to feed him when I'm gone…


 

Remus Lupin had been watching the couple as he played. If he wasn't seeing it for himself he wouldn't believe it. Was that laughing, carefree man dancing with a pretty girl really Severus Snape?

Remus recalled that Lily had mentioned that Severus learned to dance one summer because she wanted to enter a dance contest at a summer fair. Remus thought she had lied to make Severus look better in the eyes of the Marauders.

When the hell did he change from the brooding and bitter teen that Remus had known. Even before his estrangement with Lily, Severus Snape had never been so…well…normal? The man he saw now was confident and happy. When did this happen?

From the looks of it, Severus was taking care of little Harry. The inconceivable part was that Harry looked like he was happy with Severus. In fact, there was Harry, out on the floor with his own little dance partner.

Oh, how Harry looked like James. Remus wondered if there was an earthquake registering in Godric's Hallow right now. James must be rolling in his grave.

Bake them biscuits, Baby
Bake um' good n brown
when you get those biscuits baked
we're Alabamy bound…

I got a pig at home in a pen
and corn to feed him on,
all I need's a pretty little girl
to feed him when I'm gone…


 

Allen finally finished the final verse and stuck the final cord. The pub erupted with thunderous cheering and applause.

Lucy put her two pinky fingers between her teeth and blew whistles. Severus was clapping for the musicians as well. They were both breathing heavily from the exertion. Lucy briefly pressed her head against Severus' arm, as if needing the temporary support. She tapped his chest twice and said, "Wow Severus…wow."

Severus offered Lucy his arm. She took it and he escorted her back to the table.

They stopped short when they saw Harry lean forward and kiss his dance partner on the cheek. The little girl's jaw dropped as she clasped her cheeks. She ran off to hide in the protection of her mummy's robes.

Severus and Lucy looked at each other, trying to stifle their laughter.

When they arrived at the table, Harry looked put out. "Why did she run away?"

Severus patted Harry on the bum so he would move. "I told you a gentleman does not go around kissing every girl he fancies."

Albus was sitting on one end with Esther on the other side of him. Harry had scooted around the booth all the way over to her other side. "Sit next to me Miss Lucy." Lucy slid in next to Harry and Severus had to sit close beside her.

Severus had a feeling that this was planned between the headmaster and a certain little boy, just like his hijacking. Not that Severus minded in the least. He was actually proud of Harry and the little Slytherin he was becoming.

The musicians had packed up their instruments. Dr. O'Conner had Vanished his and Allen's instruments to their respective rooms. Remus took care of his own. Dr. O'Conner and Allen came to the table. Dr. O'Conner had his hand lightly on his son's arm. Remus had disappeared.

Lucy made the formal introductions. "Daddy…Allen, I'd like you to meet my friend and colleague, Severus Snape and his godson, Harry."

Dr. O'Conner put his hand out to Severus as naturally as if he had seen Severus with his eyes. He had heard the younger man's breathing from beside his daughter. He could also detect the faint sent of potions that emitted from him. "Severus Snape…I've been waiting to meet you for quite a while." Dr. O'Conner's voice did not have the soft, lyrical quality of his wife's and childern's. But rather, it was somewhat nasal, indicating he originaly hailed from a different region in their country than his wife.

Severus stood and returned Dr. O'Conner's firm handshake. He swallowed hard. What had Lucy written about him to her parents? What interest would a world renowned Potion's Master have in a mere boarding school teacher? "Dr. O'Conner. I am honoured."

Lucy gave Severus a playful swat on his back. "Oh Severus, cut the formality. It's only Daddy."

Severus looked down at Lucy. Now the lump in his throat was so big he couldn't swallow. He wasn't meeting the great Richard O'Conner. He was meeting Lucy's father. Severus' tension level went up tenfold.

For the first time since Severus could remember, he felt the need to loosen the top button of his shirt in public. He was hotter now than he was when he was dancing.

"Sir," was all Severus could manage the second time out.

"Darling, why don't ya'll sit down?" Esther suggested. She saw that Severus was overly nervous and took pity on the young man.

"Don't worry boy. I don't bite. And the name is Richard," he said good naturedly as he patted Severus on the shoulder. "I hear your little one sitting between Lucy and Esther," he said as everyone filled into the booth.

"Yes, Sir," Harry piped up.

"I see that you enjoyed the music, Harry," Allen commented.

"Yes sir. I liked the song about the pig."

Richard threw back a hardily "That was Lucy's favourite when she was little…she used to beg my dad 'Play the 'piggy song' grandpa, play the 'piggy song'."

Lucy gritted her teeth in ebarasment. "Daddy…must you?"

Harry giggled.

"Richard…where did young Remus fly off too?" Albus inquired.

"He went up to his room. Actually, I'm surprised he stayed up this long. The full moon is next week. He started taking the potion this morning."

"Are you referring to the fatigue?" Severus normally would not have cared about Remus Lupin's personal well-being. However, the man was part of a ground-breaking experiment, and Severus wanted to learn all he could from the genius behind it. He was willing to overlook old animosities for the sake of discovery.


Mrs. O'Conner rolled her eyes. The men had already started into a detailed discussion. It wasn't that Mrs. O'Conner hadn't any interest in the topic herself, but her concerns were set more on her daughter.

"Lucy why don't we go upstairs and discuss some things in private," Esther suggested.


Albus got up from his end of the booth and let the ladies out. Severus watched the two women ascend the stairs while Harry settled in on his lap. He was glad for Lucy that her parents were here, especially Esther. Sometimes, a girl just needed her mum.


Esther followed Lucy into their chamber. As soon as she shut the door, Lucy turned around and flung herself into her mother's arms. "I'm sorry Mama…I'm so sorry…," she shuddered as she cried into her mama's shoulder.

Esther stroked her youngest daughter's hair. She was rocking Lucy as she held her. "Oh, Baby…Don't be sorry. You have nothing to be sorry for."

Lucy lifted her head and wiped the tears away with the side of her hand. "Yes I do mama." she nodded. "I fell for some sweet talking man and let him drag me 4000 miles away from home. Then I go and shame you and Daddy by getting pregnant before I'm married and worst of all, the man I once loved turns out to be some sort of…sociopath."

"Lucy…sit down," her mother said gently.

Lucy sat on the couch in front of the fireplace, looking very much like the penitent child she felt she was.

Esther sat down next to her child. Lucy scooted closer and put her head on her mother's shoulder. "Lucy…I want you to listen to me," Esther began. "Your father and I have always been very proud of you, and we still are."

"But Mama…"

"I said listen," Esther softly admonished. "No one can fault you for following your fiancé. My mama did the very same thing. She followed my daddy back to Charleston. As much as parents don't like to think about it, our babies grow up and move on to lives of their own. And there is no shame in your being pregnant…not on your part. The shame is Kenneth's for deceiving you and trying…" Esther pulled Lucy closer to her. "He didn't hurt you…did he, Baby?"

"No Mama…at least not physically."

"From what I understand you had some help coping with the emotional hurt as well?"

Lucy nodded. "Yes, I had Pawpaw and Se…"

"Severus," Esther finished. "I believe that young man cares a great deal for you."

"He's my friend."

"Your…best friend?"

"I suppose."

"You more than suppose…A wizard doesn't send a letter 4000 miles overnight for recipes if he doesn't feel more than friendship."

Lucy looked up at her mother. "He sent it overnight?"

"Yes, while you were up talking to your daddy, he told me it took the house elves nearly a week to perfect the grits."

Lucy chuckled at that. She still couldn't make grits. When she made them, they came out more like construction mortar. But she couldn't think about the art and science of grit making right now. She needed to stop her mother from her train of thought. "Mama…I think I know what you're trying to say, but please don't. I'm already regretting asking Severus to be the godfather."

'Why ever for?"

"He is raising Harry Potter. Raising any child is hard enough, but as time passes, the scrutiny and pressure he will come under is bound to build. He doesn't need my mixed up life to complicate things. Let's face it Mama…I'm damaged goods."

Esther's soft expression changed to one of anger. "Lucile Mary O'Conner! Don't you dare think like that! You are an intelligent, beautiful young woman with her whole life ahead of her. You deserve to be happy. Besides, I think it is up to Severus to decide what he needs and doesn't need…isn't it?"

Lucy sniffed, "But Mama, what if everything goes wrong again?"

Esther closed her eyes and gently kissed Lucy on the forehead. "Well baby…that's the thing about Love. It's the one thing in the world that's worth risking everything for, because once you find it…the mistakes of the past become just that…the past. And you do love him…don't you?"

This time Lucy closed her eyes, looking for the strength within to admit the truth. "Yes Mama…I think I do."

***4, October, 1986***

Four men were sitting in Severus' office stuffing their faces with sandwiches. It had been an exciting day and they were taking a well deserved break. Allen had come up with the idea of incorporating Severus' pain potion into the improved Wolfsbane potion. At the moment, it was impossible because there was no way to stabilise the asphodel when the willow was added. Willow had to be added at a certain temperature ant that temperature was too high for the asphodel to keep its potency. They had tried a couple of experiments, but they had failed. But that was to be expected. Failure was part of the learning process.

Remus was ecstatic over the idea. There was one drawback with keeping ones human faculties during The Change. One tended to remember the pain of transformation. The pain was similar to the Cruciatus curse. If that pain could be alleviated….

But right now it was only a theory on paper, but one both Potion Masters promised to work on. Richard and Severus had both agreed that if a breakthrough were made, they would publish jointly.

It was an agreeable way to spend the day whilst the ladies went shopping for Lucy's maternity clothes. They had taken Harry with them.

Although the truce between Severus and Remus was a bit awkward, they did manage to keep civil tongues in their heads.

Severus had managed to regale his story of how he came to be Harry's guardian, and Remus enlightened him on how he came upon the O'Conners.

"Albus sent you to Ohio?" Severus asked.

"Yes…he heard that Doc was interviewing candidates for the potions initial trial." Remus said, then took a bite of sandwich.

Severus tried to be non chalant with his next question. "How did you meet Lucy?"

Remus took a swig of ale to wash down his food then swallowed. "We were waiting in Doc's reception area. I had no idea she was the professor's daughter and she had no idea I was a potential patient."

"Yes, Remy was a little heartbroken to find that out," said Allen. "I think he kind of took to her, but we couldn't maintain objectivity if a patient was dating the researcher's daughter," he kidded. "We didn't start hangin' out until after the study was done."

"It was not like that at all," Remus protested. "Besides, I think between teaching and her research, she had no time for socialising…I actually only saw her maybe three or four times after that."

Dr. O'Conner had been listening quietly to the conversation. His question hit Severus like a punch in the gut. "Severus…What are your intentions with my Lucy?"

Remus and Allen both stopped chewing their food and stared at Severus, waiting for his answer.

Severus put down the drink he had in his hand. He stood up tall and straight and answered, "Honourable, Sir."

Dr. O'Conner grinned, "That's all I need to know," and took a bite from his sandwich.

***7 October, 1986***

No matter how much Lucy tried to deny it, the end was near. The shattering of stone was still ringing in her ears.

"Honestly Severus, an unprovoked attack on the clergy." Severus' black knight had just pulverized Lucy's white bishop.

"He was in my way." Between Severus' queen and rook, it was only a matter of time before Lucy's king was cornered.

"Well, it still can't be good for your soul."

"I'll take my chances."

Lucy's eyes scanned the board. Depending upon where she moved her rook, she had three or five moves left before Severus captured her king. She was done for.

Rather than prolong the pain, she laid down her king.

"I bow down to your superior stratagem," Lucy said as she arose from her chair.

"No…," cried Filius from the corner. He was out seventy-five Galleons.

"I didn't tell you to bet on me. Pawpaw may have taught me to play chess, that does not mean I ever beat him or Uncle Albus."

Lucy went over to Severus' side, bent over and gave him a peck on the cheek. "There is your victory prize."

Severus looked up at her and raised an eyebrow. "What do you say to raising the stakes and going best two out of three?"

Lucy crossed her arms. "What did you have in mind?"

"If you win, I owe you dinner and dancing…If I win, you accompany me to dinner and dancing."

"Best two out of three…the baby will be attending Hogwarts by then," Lucy smirked. "Why don't you just cut the crap and ask me out?"

Severus stood up and looked into her eyes. "Would you like to join me for dinner and dancing this Friday night?"

Lucy caught her breath as she stared back at him. "I'd love to."

The mood was broken when Filius jumped up and squeaked "Yippee!" as he ran out of the room to find Minerva.

This time they both raised their eyebrows. They couldn't help but laugh.

Chapter End Notes:
Okay…credit where credit is due…

Foggy Mountain Breakdown… by Earl Scruggs

Mountain Dew…by Grandpa Jones

Uncle Pen…by Bill Monroe

Pig in a Pen…by Ralph and Carter Stanley