Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I need to give a little info so you know how to follow the dialogue. When you see bold italics, a certain someone is singing to another certain someone along with a recording. When you see plain italics, it is simply the recording.

Warning: Mild sexual imagery in this chapter.
'Witchcraft'

***7 October, 1986- 5:22 p.m. ***

Severus warded his classroom for the night and strode to his private chambers. He need to Floo over to the Weasley's and pick up Harry.

He was of two minds. He was ecstatic that Lucy had actually accepted his request for a private evening, and he was nervous as hell because Lucy had actually accepted his request for a private evening.

Now What? Severus hadn't really been thinking when he asked Lucy out. The question had simply left his lips.

What was he going to do with Harry? Severus had not even thought about acquiring a baby-sitter and he did not want to simply assume Molly would do it. He would need to ask.

Severus supposed that Aberforth might be so inclined, but Severus did not relish the idea of Harry being amongst the Hog's Head's regular Friday night patrons. Severus supposed if worse came to worse he could always ask Filius. Oh yes, Severus had become aware of the wager between the Heads of Gryffindor and Ravenclaw. If Filius intended to win that wager, he would watch Harry if it came right down to it.

Severus went into his chamber and removed his teaching robes. He sat down by the chair next to the fire so he could gather his thoughts.

He had only been on one official date in his entire life, and that had been as a teenager when he and Lily decided that they might as well try. It had been terrifically awkward for them both. Neither one of them knew what to say to one another. As much as Severus would have liked to have moved beyond the boundaries of mere friendship, it was obvious that Lily had not returned his affections in kind.

Over the years Severus had a couple of very casual relationships with other witches, but they were nothing more than a physical release.

Lucy was different from them all.

Lucy was the first time Severus had sought a meaningful relationship with an adult witch as it was the first time Severus had desired such a relationship. And undertaking a relationship with Lucy was going to be different from anything he had done before. Lucy and Severus were both adults with lives of their own that could not be easily dismissed.

Simply going on a date with Lucy was a step that Severus could not take lightly. There were more than their lives and feelings at stake. Their children must also be taken into consideration.

Lucy was pregnant with another man's child, the irony of which had not escaped Severus. If things progressed with Lucy as Severus hoped they might, he had to face the realisation that he would be father to yet another child he had not sired. But strange enough, that did not concern or upset Severus in the least. If he wanted to be with Lucy, he had to accept her child, in the same way that Lucy had to accept Harry if she wished to be with Severus. There were no grounds for compromise on that point for either of them. It was something that they both silently understood.

But these musings did nothing to bring closer to his problems at hand. Where Harry would stay that night and where would Severus take Lucy?

This evening Molly had invited Severus and Harry to stay for supper. As Lucy was dining with her family one last time before they left for Luxemburg, Severus was obliged to accept rather than see the empty chair next to his at the head table again.


 

After supper Harry had gone upstairs with the Weasley children to play whilst the adults talked.

"Of course we'll be delighted to have Harry this weekend," said Molly as she knitted. "The children have been on to me about it for over a week now."

"Have they?" Severus said with an air of suspicion.

"Yes."

"Severus, where do you plan to take Lucy?" Arthur asked.

Severus tried to hide his embarrassment. "To be honest, I have no idea. I was hoping to take her dinner and dancing."

Molly plopped her knitting on her lap. "Mystics…You simply must take her to Mystics."

Arthur noted the confused look on the younger man's face. "Mystics is a wizarding dance club in London," Arthur explained. "Very posh…,incredibly romantic. I would take Molly there on occasion when we young."

Of course the money Arthur made would have gone much further without nine mouths to feed, Severus thought. But despite the scarcity, the Weasley household was by far the richest Severus could think of.

"I shall see about reservations," Severus said as he began to arise from his chair.

Arthur arose from his chair as well, "Before you leave Severus, join me out in my shed for a moment."

"I'll get Harry ready," Molly offered.

Severus followed Arthur into the garden and out to his aluminium work shed. The light from Arthur's wand provided the only illumination on the chilly overcast night.

When they entered the shed, Arthur passed his hand over a wall panel and light flooded his work area.

To most, it would look like a Muggle junk yard. To Arthur, it was his treasure trove. Severus was curious as to what Arthur could possibly want to show him in here.

Arthur went over to the far wall and pulled a brown case down from a shelf and wiped the dust off. He then scanned a shelf that seemed to be holding some form of files. When Arthur found what he was looking for, Severus could tell it was a vinyl album cover.

"Do you intend to invite Lucy to your quarters after you return?" Arthur asked casually.

Severus crossed his arms. He really hadn't thought about how they would end the evening. "What are you suggesting?"

"I'm not suggesting that you intend any impropriety," Arthur said in his defence. "You are both adults and what you do or don't do is your business. I was only suggesting a way to end the evening on a memorable note…as it were." Arthur put the album in Severus' hand. "Do you know what this is?"

"It is a record album. And I assume that is a turntable."

"Good, then I suppose I don't have to explain how to use them."

Severus gave Arthur an odd look. "I suggest this one," Arthur said as he pointed to number four.

Arthur chuckled at Severus' befuddlement as he picked up the turntable and they walked out of the shed. "Trust me Severus; I know a thing or two about romance. Why do you think I have seven children?"

***8 October, 1986***

Severus stopped and took a breath before he knocked on Minerva's office door. He had made an appointment with her that morning. Severus couldn't believe he was doing this. But Arthur was right, Severus wanted to make what he was hoping would be the first of many such evenings memorable, and he wanted some practice.

Severus had one hand tucked behind his robe and knocked on her door.

"Come in," Minerva said curtly. When Severus entered she looked up from her work. "Severus…to what do I owe this little visit."

Severus stepped forward and cleared his throat. "I have need of a witch with your particular…talent."

"Oh?" Minerva's curiosity was aroused. Although she was not well adept in potions, she could think of none that required transfigured ingredients.

Severus produced the album from behind his back. "I assume you have your old gramophone?"


Severus had already left as Minerva warded her classroom for the night.

She leaned her back against the cool stone and gave a heavy sigh. Perhaps she could back out of that bet with Filius.

One thing was certain. Severus had finally moved past Lily Evans. Minerva shook her head in disbelief and made her way to her private chambers. She needed a cold shower.

If Severus' dance moves were any indication, Lucy did not stand a chance. Severus could have seduced Minerva if he had tried.

***10 October, 1986-6:54 a.m. ***

Lucy was giving her family one final hug before the international portkey whisked them away to Luxemburg. As much as she wanted to be there with her father, she could not take the time off.

Even with her mother taking a prolonged leave of absence from her work when the baby was born to help out Lucy, Lucy would have to take her own leave of absence come spring. Unlike her mother, who had been at her job long enough to have accumulated personal time, Lucy did not have that luxury.

After a long heart to heart with her parents, Lucy had decided to stay at Hogwarts. She had told her parents about the opportunity that Wodsworth had offered her. Richard and Esther had agreed that Lucy could not let this chance of a lifetime slip away from her.

"Daddy, I'm sorry I can't be there," Lucy said as she pulled out of her father's embrace.

"I know you'll be there in spirit," Richard said as he ran his hands across his daughter's face one more time. "We'll be back for the baby's born," he assured her.

Lucy was next engulfed by her little brother. "Are you sure you don't want me to go to Azkaban and pulverize that m*ther f*cker for you, Big Sister?"

Lucy patted Allen on his broad shoulders. "That's quite alright, Little Brother. You would not find too much satisfaction in it after Kenneth's been exposed to the Dementors."

"Wanna bet."

This time Lucy turned to Remus. "Alf…I suppose I don't need to say goodbye to you."

"I'll see you next week Lucy," Remus said happily. Aberforth had offered him a job bartending, along with room and board. Now that the potion trials were done, Remus needed to get back into life. The O'Conner's had offered him a place, but Remus had decided that they had already done so much; he would not make himself a burden.

Lucy and her mother said goodbye last. "We'll see you again before you know it, Baby."

"I know, Mama."

Esther kissed Lucy on the cheek. "You're doing the right thing by staying, Lucy. You'd be regretting it the rest of your life if you did not," Esther was not only referring to Wodworth's offer. "Grandpa…you take care of my little girl."

Aberforth had said his goodbyes to the men and came over to his granddaughter. "Aye…I promise that," he said as he gave Esther a kiss on the forehead. "You lot better be for grabbin' that bottle. It's almost seven."

Aberforth and Lucy wrapped an arm around each other. There was on last chorus of goodbyes as the portkey activated and their family vanished in a vortex.

Lucy brushed back a stray tear. "I swear, I have been too damn emotional these last few months."

Aberforth walked with her back up to the school. "Well…it's not that surprisin'. You've had a difficult summer, as I recall. And my Ella was a regular waterworks when she was pregnant with your grandmother."

They walked to the gate in companionable silence until Aberforth said. "I understand young Severus finally has the courage to court you."

"I don't know if I would actually call it courting, Pawpaw…It's only one date."

"Of course it is."

Lucy could tell that Aberforth was simply being patronising. "However…if you should be so inclined," he continued, "I think you'll find yourself much happier than you ever would have been with Kenneth."

***6:15 p.m.***

For the first time in his life, Severus actually admired the refection that had looked back at him in the mirror.

He had never really had enough self esteem to actually care about his appearance until a year ago. When his application for Harry's guardianship was up for review last year, Severus had found it in his best interest to actually look presentable.

But he still had never given too much thought to whether or not he was attractive to someone else other than Lily.

Tonight, Severus cared a great deal.

When he had tied off his shoulder length black hair, he noticed that he had actually grown into his features. He would never be a pretty-boy like Lucius Malfoy or even Musgrave. Severus' countenance was more hardened. But it was by no means unattractive.

It was hard to know who was more excited about this night, Severus or Harry. Harry had actually come home just because he insisted on 'helping' his daddy get ready.

Harry was sitting on the edge of Severus' four poster bed, watching his godfather get ready whilst waiting for Mrs. Weasley to arrive and take him again for the evening.

"You look real nice," Harry said to his Daddy.

Severus turned his head from the mirror from where he was adjusting his black bowtie. "Do you really think so?"

"Uh-huh. I bet Miss Lucy will think so too."

"I hope so," Severus mumbled under his breath as he turned back to the mirror. After mucking around with his tie for another five minutes, he rolled his eyes back when he remembered there was actually a bloody spell for this.

"Are you going to kiss her tonight?"

Severus chucked in disbelief at Harry's audacity. "If I do, you will be the third to know."

Just then the Floo came to life in the sitting room. "That would be Mrs. Weasley, Harry. Please tell her to step through, I will be out momentarily."

"Okay" Harry said as he popped off the tall bed and went out to greet Molly.

Severus looked at himself in the full length mirror and straightened his lapel. His tuxedo did indeed fit his lean frame very well. He barely recognised the man before him. He turned on his heal and picked up a potion bottle from the table and put it in the inside pocket of his tuxedo jacket. He had brewed it to help Lucy's nausea from Apparating.

He took a cleansing breath to calm his nerves, the first of many he was sure he would take that night. Severus draped his formal silk cape over his arm, then shut the door to his bedchamber door and went to say goodnight to Harry before meeting his date.


It had never occurred to Severus how long the walk was from the dungeon to Lucy's chambers on the other side of the school. They were halfway up the west tower. The walk really wasn't all that far, it just seemed to be, as many students were still about and the double takes they had given the dour potion's master was rather unnerving.

Once he reached the west tower he was away from the unwanted scrutiny of students and peers. He decided to take the spiral stairs two at a time. Upon arriving at Lucy's door, Severus took a moment to compose himself, then knocked.


Lucy was biting her nails as she paced back and forth in front of her fireplace. She couldn't understand why she was so damn nervous. She was only waiting on Severus. Why did she feel like a teenager waiting on her prom date?

A knock on the door brought her out of her revere. Before she opened the door, she made sure that Thor was warded off in the kitchen to prevent any escape attempts.

Seeing that all was secure, Lucy steadied herself as she place her and on the doorknob. When she decided she could breathe again, she opened the door.

What greeted her took her breath away. "Severus…my…but you do look dashing this evening," he honestly did.

She stepped aside to let him in.

When she closed the door, he took her hand and kissed it. "You look lovely yourself," he said as his dark eyes glanced up at her.

Lucy swallowed hard. She hated to pull away from his touch, but she had to. "I only need to get my cloak and we can go."

 

Severus admired Lucy as she went to retrieve her cloak. She was indeed lovely this evening.

She was dressed in black. The shimmering silk blouse came down diagonally across her chest, exposing her left shoulder. The sleeve on her right arm was long and shear. Small rhinestones were interwoven into the chiffon fabric.

She wore a flowing pair of slacks of the same colour, draped with the same chiffon panels. It gave the illusion as if she were wearing a gown.

Her belly was only now beginning to show the faintest sign that she was pregnant. He golden hair cascaded across her bare shoulder in soft waves.

She was beautiful indeed

Lucy fastened her blood red velvet cloak around her neck and Severus extended his arm. "Shall we?"

She took his arm and as they left she said, "I wonder what the gossip is going to be tomorrow?"

"Who cares?" Severus said honestly.

By the time Severus and Lucy descended the tower, their initial nervousness was gone and they were engaged in easy conversation.

Neither paid heed to the hushed whispers or cared about the curious stares that followed them out of the castle.

***11:44p.m. ***

Two smiling figures popped into existence outside the school gates. Their arms were wrapped around one another.

Severus' bow tie was hanging loose around his collar. "Did the potion help?" he asked Lucy.

The gates opened before them and he escorted Lucy inside. "Actually, I tolerated it even better than before I was pregnant. I detected a tad more ginger in that potion."

"Fewer harmful side effects."

The night was chill and Severus pulled Lucy closer to his side as they walked on. The moon was waxing and shined hazily through the feathering clouds.

They stopped when they came to the castle's great doors. Severus cleared his throat "Would you care to join me for a drink before we retire?"

"That would be nice. I can have one glass of wine." Lucy said as the mammoth oak doors creaked open and allowed them back into the school.

The halls of the school were now empty of students. This time, the only eyes that followed them belonged to the few portraits that were still awake. Only the occasional wall sconce illuminated the dimly lit corridors all the way down to Severus' chambers.

Severus was nervous again. Dinner and dancing at the Mystic was everything Arthur Weasley said it would be. Severus hoped he wouldn't say or do something to muck up what had otherwise been a perfect evening.

The conversation had been as personal as Severus had ever dared have with anyone. Over the months, he had come to learn a great deal about Lucy's past and family, but Severus had been vague about his own.

He had recalled his sad and abusive childhood, his feelings for Lily Evans, and how he had turned to the Death Eaters for acceptance when his only friend had seemingly given up on him. Severus admitted to being a cold, unfeeling, bastard…until Harry changed everything.

"Had you known me then, you may not have liked my very much," he confessed.

"You're probably right," Lucy admitted.

The conversation easily moved from one topic to another. Lucy had told Severus of her plans to stay and accept Wodworth's offer. Severus' heart leapt at the news.

Of course the topic of Harry eventually came up.


"Why don't you adopt him, Severus?"

He shook his head. "It was hard enough to obtain legal guardianship. If it weren't for my blood bond to Lily, I doubt the Wizengamot would have agreed to it, despite having proved myself."

It was true. Lucy doubted any wizard court would allow a former Death Eater to adopt a child. But Severus had proven that he had changed. I did not seem fare. If Petunia Dursley was so inclined she could take Harry back at any…"Severus…you said your father was a Muggle?"

"Yes," he said, and then sipped his wine. "Why do you ask?"

"So that means you attended Muggle primary school, correct?"

Severus looked confused, "Of course."

"Well. That means you are in the Muggle records. You also own a home in a Muggle neighbourhood."

This time he just gave her a curious look.

"Severus, you are in the Muggle's records, as is Harry and his Muggle guardians," She sighed when she realised Severus still did not get it. "Go through the Muggle courts, Severus. Under the radar of the Ministry. Convince Mrs. Dursley to back your request. If you are his legal parent in the Muggle world, the Ministry cannot contest it here in the wizarding one."

Severus had to admit, it was tempting. He would research the idea.

It was getting late and the conversation had died down. Severus was no longer wearing his tuxedo jacket and Lucy had her bare feet curled up on his couch, leaning on his strong arm. His face rested in the top of her head.

"Would you like to dance?" Severus asked suddenly.

Lucy looked around the room. "A little crowded in here for dancing, isn't it?"

Severus stood up and offered Lucy a hand. He took his wand out and vanished all of the furniture from sight. "Wondrous thing, magic." Only the wall sconces emitted a faint glow in the room.

Severus pulled Lucy close to him. A descending string arpeggio filled the air as Severus spun Lucy into the middle of the room. He began to sing along with the music. At first, staring off into space, then his obsidian eyes locked with turquoise as they slowly swayed to the music.

Those fingers in my hair
that sly come-hither stare,
that strips my conscience bare,
It's witchcraft…

And I've got no defence for it.
The heat is too intense for it.
What good would common sense for it do…

Severus spun Lucy around again.

'Cause it's witchcraft...
wicked witch-craft…
And although I know it's strictly taboo…

When you arouse the need in me,
my heart says 'yes indeed' in me.
Proceed with what you're leading me to…

Severus ran his hand down her bare arm and lifted Lucy's face to his and they continued to sway once more.

It's such an ancient pitch,
but one I wouldn't switch,
'cause there's no nicer witch than you…

Severus had leaned over as if to kiss Lucy, but just as his lips brushed hers, he swept her away to the sound of the brass.

Lucy hand forgotten how to breathe , as Severus held her close and she followed his lead, she felt as if she were literally being swept off her feet.

This time when the vocals started again, Severus was too caught up in Lucy to sing along. Their whole worlds were in the other's eyes. The music had cast its spell.

'Cause it's witchcraft.
That crazy witchcraft.
And although I know it's strictly taboo…

When you arouse the need in me,
my heart says 'yes indeed' in me.
Proceed with what you're leading me to…

It's such an ancient pitch,
but one that I'd never switch

'cause there's no nicer witch than you…

Severus had begun to sing softly in Lucy's ear, but never finished the line. Instead his lips had found hers,  and he kissed her, soft and deep.

Their hearts were racing so fast, it was as though they had completely stopped beating.

The music had abruptly stopped and all at once the spell seemed to be broken. The desire that had been in Lucy's eyes changed to something akin to fear.

"Lucy?" Severus gave a puzzled look. He noticed that something had gone wrong.

She backed away from Severus. "I have to go," she quickly grabbed her cloak from the foyer and fled out the door, leaving it open.

"Lucy!" Severus called after her. By the time he reached the door, she had fled into the darkness. All Severus could hear was the echoes of her hurried foot falls.


 

Severus' chambers were back to normal. He paced back and forth in front of the fire place with an untouched tumbler of fire whiskey in his hands.

What had gone wrong? He wasn't mistaken. Not this time. Lucy had desired him every bit as much as he did her.

Why did she run away? There was a part of Severus, the old Severus that wanted nothing more than to get drunk and forget this night ever happened. To wallow in his despair and admit he would never be good enough for any woman.

But something else rose above his self pity. Anger.

How dare she? How dare she deny them both the chance to be happy? Especially when it was obvious that she felt every bit as strongly as Severus did!

That was it. Severus was going to go to her quarters and tell her no more games. He couldn't stand to simply be friends any longer. She needed to make up her mind once and for all.


Lucy had already changed into pyjama top and panties. She was lying on her couch, kicking and screaming into her pillow.

Lucy ran off because she knew that kiss would not just end there, and for a moment, the mistakes of her past flooded in on her.

She had come to her senses and the horror of the realisation of what she had done. She flung her pillow across the room in frustration.

She wanted that moment every bit as much as Severus did. She ached at the thought that she would have been in his arms right now and what they would have been doing.

Lucy snapped up and swung her feet over the front of her couch.

Damn it. She wasn't going to lose him. She arose and headed to her room to go change when a swift knock on her chamber door halted her.

Who was it at this time of night?

She hadn't even thought about her attire when she swung open her door to tell whoever was there to sod-off.

The shock on her face when she was confronted by Severus was in equal measure to his, being as Lucy was almost nude.

For what seemed like an eternity, they stood and said nothing.

Lucy abruptly grabbed Severus by the front of his shirt and pulled him into her chamber. The door slammed behind them and Lucy threw herself into him.

This time their kisses were not so soft, but rather fuelled by a desire they could no longer deny.

"Severus…I'm sorr…"

"Don't," he said before smothering her lips with his once again.

His hand found its way underneath her top, caressing her bare skin. He eagerly pulled her closer.

Lucy moaned as she could feel his arousal pressed against her. The sensation heightened her own.

Severus' lips left Lucy's and made their way down her neck.

Somehow, Severus had Lucy pressed up against the door of her bedchamber. He let one hand leave her body only long enough for him to open the door to allow them both to slip inside.

Chapter End Notes:
Hm…Hm…Let's leave them to their privacy, shall we?

'Witchcraft' is sung by none-other than Frank Sinatra.

If you really want to envision the dance, Google it and take a listen. *sigh*