Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Since I'm going through the Muggle courts, I was going to try to follow the British Adoption Laws of that time. However, after extensive research, I could not find any useful information pertaining adoption laws in the U.K. before 1989. So basically, I have to make things up.

As this is purely a work of fiction set in an Alternate Universe, it should not be too big of a deal. So please don't send reviews saying that I have the Law all wrong.

That's right folks. I'm the Law around these here parts…which makes life a heck of a lot easier for me…the author…and Severus too for that matter.

***A special 'Thank You' to tambrathegreat.

She has kindly offered to Beta this story for me. She has a remarkable gift of prose that, in my opinion, will help this story reach its potential. She contributed some great ideas to this chapter. Any mistakes found are purely my own. Thank you, Tambra.

If you haven't checked out her stories, you really need to. They are AWESOME!
Changes

*** 27 October, 1986***

"Do you need a Calming Draught?" Lucy asked as she adjusted Severus' tie.

Severus held his head up for Lucy. He stood as straight as a ramrod. "Do I look nervous?"

"Not at all, you look about as calm as a Niffler in a room full of Kneazles…There you go," Lucy said as she gave his tie a pat, "Dressed to impress."

They stood behind the desk in Severus' office. Severus pulled at his collar as if Lucy tied noose around his neck.

Albus had granted Severus some personal time to begin the preliminaries for Harry's formal adoption. He had also taken the liberty of finding an advocate in Scotland and a solicitor in England who happened to be Squibs with reputations for being discrete. Albus made a good point that the court would order Severus' residence and employment record examined. Severus would have an exceedingly hard time explaining Hogwarts to a Muggle and Squibs would know how to make certain information appear…normal, at least to the Muggle barrister.

Lucy smacked Severus' fidgeting hand. "Will you stop that?"Lucy received his raised eyebrow in response and she pursed her lips in irritation, "Merlin Severus…It can't be that constricting. It's not as if you don't wear enough clothing to make a tortoise claustrophobic in the first place."

Severus was wearing a charcoal grey business suit and his hair was once again pulled back. It wasn't that the clothes were uncomfortable. They were simply unfamiliar; at least that's what he told himself. But to Lucy, Severus simply mumbled, "The material makes my neck itch."

Severus was getting ready to meet his Advocate in Inverness. He had a ten o'clock appointment. During the meeting, Severus was to explain the circumstances of his guardianship of Harry, and collect the papers that Petunia needed to sign for his English Solicitor. He looked like he was going to take a walk to the gallows rather than meet with an adoption specialist.

Sensing Severus' anxiety, Lucy stood on her toes and planted a kiss on his cheek. "Everything will be fine." she told him. "Just remember to breathe every once in a while."

Severus gave a little nod then cast his gaze out to his empty classroom. "Are you sure you don't mind?"

"It's a little late to go back now, if I did. Don't worry… I promise not to blow up your classroom while you're away."

"And what of your own classroom?" Severus really did feel guilty for pulling Lucy away from her own duties. But not only was she the most qualified to fill in for him, she did have her own qualified replacement. The guilt he felt was somewhat ridiculous, but there it was, always a part of him when he thought he was shirking his own duties.

"I'm pretty sure Professor Binns won't blow up my classroom either," Lucy said seriously. "Now get going," she urged as Lucy practically shoved Severus out of his office.

The bell sounded, indicating that students had ten minutes to get to class. Severus bent over to give Lucy a quick kiss. "Thank you. You're an Angel."

"Yes…I know." Lucy winked as the fifth year Gryffindor and Slytherin students began to file in. "Do you have everything?" she asked.

"Yes."

Lucy handed Severus his black trench coat that was hanging on the coat tree just inside the door. "Here…Now shoo."

Severus took one look back as Lucy waved him out the door and past his students. He was getting curious glances from most of them. It was not everyday a Hogwarts Professor was seen in Muggle attire.

Someone whispered "Good Luck, Professor." Severus turned and Bill Weasley gave him a knowing nod.

Severus was a few yards down the corridor when he heard Lucy call the class to order. "Now that everyone has settled down…If you think that your Potion Master's absence gives you an excuse to slack off today…I highly advise you to think again…"

Severus smirked, and Lucy's speech trailed off. He slipped on his overcoat and ascended the staircase to the main floor of the castle.


He was nearly to the main entrance of the castle when a voice called out to him.

"Professor Snape…Professor Snape, Sir!"

Severus spun around. A tall red-headed boy was running towards him.

"Why have you left class, Mr. Weasley?"

Bill bent over and put his hands on his knees. He needed a moment to catch his breath. "Sorry Sir," he panted. "Miss Lu…I mean… Dr. O'Conner said you forgot this." Bill took a small object out of his robe pocket and handed it to his Professor.

Severus took the object, clearly annoyed with his own forgetfulness. "Thank you, Mr. Weasley…and extend my gratitude to Dr. O'Conner."

Severus had forgotten his attaché case. Within it were his employment records, proof of residence, proof of income, professional and personal recommendations, Petunia Dursley's affidavit of her willingness to release her custodial and parental rights of Harry over to Severus, as well as his copy of the Potter's will.

Nothing of any major importance, Severus berated himself.

"Run along back to class Mr. Weasley. I do not wish to return, only to find that my top student has fallen behind in his lessons."

Bill gave Severus a crooked smile, "Yes Sir," he said, before running back in the direction of the dungeons.

When Severus finally stepped into the cool autumn morning, he breathed deeply. He really needed to calm himself before he attempted to Apparate to Inverness. He would be splinched for certain.

Severus shoved his cold hands into the pockets of his overcoat only to discover something in both pockets. In one pocket, was a pair of leather gloves, in the other, a phial of Calming Draught.

Severus scoffed. If it wasn't for Lucy, he was sure he would have left his own head in the office this morning.

***12:17 p.m. ***

"Well, Mr. Snape…I'm sorry…Professor Snape. You seem to have everything in order here." his advocated pronounced in a heavy Scottish brogue. "It is especially advantageous that the child's late parents wished the child's guardianship be passed to you should Sirius Black become unable to carry out that responsibility. "

The advocate, Mr. Auchmuty, was a tall, thin man with shocking white hair that was neatly trimmed.

"Once I am able to interview the boy and inspect his environs, I should be able to expedite the process on my end should all go well." the man said in a rather pleasant baritone. It was a tone, Severus thought, that was assumed to lend an air of trusting calm.

Severus shifted his weight in the chair he had taken in front of Auchmuty's desk. "How long should it take?"

"After I make my inspection, I can fax over my recommendations to Mr. Singh in Manchester the next day. From there it is up to Mr. Singh and how quickly his Barrister can bring the matter before the court…Manchester is your primary residence?" Auchmuty scanned Severus' application through his reading glasses.

"Yes Sir. I inherited the house after my father's death."

Mr. Auchmuty straitened the stack of papers by giving the edges a smart tap on the desk. "Good, then it should be no problem for Mr. Singh to inspect the home at his convenience….Now, Professor Snape, if you would, tell me why you wish for this adoption to take place." he asked, giving an intrusive gaze to Severus. "Your guardianship of Harry Potter is secure in the Wizarding world. No one can dispute your rights. Why is this important to you that you become his parent?"

Severus very much wished he could take at belt off of that Calming Draught right now, or perhaps a swig of strong single malt. Opening up about his feeling for Harry to Lucy was one thing, confessing his feelings to a complete stranger was quite another. But if he wanted to do this, he needed to buck up and pour out his emotions as if he were a Hufflepuff.

"It is true, no one can take Harry from me in the Wizarding world and it is highly unlikely that Petunia Dursley will demand Harry back. But I seek out this adoption for Harry's sense of stability as well as my own piece of mind," Severus began.

"I could not love that boy anymore if he were my biological son," Severus confessed. "By adopting him, he will never need question that love. Also, I would sleep better myself knowing that if something were to happen to me, Harry would be my undisputed heir. I wish to insure that he would go to the people whom I trust to take care of him. I have no desire to see him thrust back to the Dursley's…or even worse…become a ward of the Ministry."

Mister Auchmuty smiled. He heard what he wanted to hear…that the man loved the child as his own. But he still had another personal question to ask.

"You say that you desire young Mr. Potter to be your heir. You are still a young man, Professor. There is still the possibility of you fathering your own children some day. Do you foresee a conflict with this?"

"None," Severus had thought of that very possibility recently. Harry would still be his eldest child should that dream ever become a reality.

"Good…if you have no objections, I would very much like to see Mr. Potter now," he announced as he laid the papers on his desk.

Severus hid his surprise. "I have no objections. It is simply unexpected."

"Mr. Singh will need to inspect…What is it called? Oh yes…The Burrow…as it is located in Devon," Auchmuty said as he picked up the phone to call for a taxi. "However, I need to interview Mr. Potter myself and there is no time like the present."

"There is no need to call a taxi, Mr. Auchmuty. I can Apparate us to the school gates," Severus offered as he arose from his chair.

Auchmuty shook his head and waved for Severus to sit back down. After he put the headset back into the cradle, he explained. "I used to side-along with my mother all the time. I hated it…never got used to the sensation. Macaulay's Pub is a Wizarding establishment a short distance from here. We can have lunch and then you can escort me through the Floo from there. It is not quite so…disorienting."

***2:25 p.m. ***

Mr. Auchmuty now sat quietly upon the sofa in Severus' sitting room along with Albus Dumbledore. They were sipping tea while waiting for Severus to return from the Burrow with Harry. Auchmuty had been quite satisfied with what he had seen thus far. He knew that Snape had not been expecting a visit so soon, so he was confident that there had been nothing staged for his benefit.

The quarters Snape shared with the boy at Hogwarts were comfortable and tidy. Harry's room contained a number of toys and books that were appropriate for a child his age. He had a comfortable bed and decent clothing. On the side table next to the child's bed was an orb with an image of his mother floating within. Inside the drawer, a family photo album of the Potter's, containing various photos of an infant Harry with both of his biological parents.

Bathtub toys were scattered in the bathroom tub. In the front room, there was a self dedicated to more children's book and pictures of a happy father and son set amongst them. Another photo of Severus and the boy sat upon what was obviously Snape's desk.

In the kitchen, Harry's artwork adorned the walls and cabinetry, some with magical creatures or depictions of friends. However most were of Harry and Snape labelled 'Daddy' and 'Me'. As the months progressed, the handwriting became more legible, lines became straighter and letters began to face the right direction.

The most resent artwork contained a new subject. Along with Harry and Snape, a blonde woman was now featured prominently. She was often shown holding hand with Harry, Snape or both. Under each depiction was the name 'Miss Lucy'. Auchmuty wondered who this woman was. Harry was obviously fond of her. She was always shown with Snape. Was there a 'Mrs. Snape' somewhere in the future?

Auchmuty was currently thumbing through a book he had picked up off of the side table. Snape was obviously in the middle of reading The House on Pooh Corner with Harry.

It was apparent that a very happy and exceptionally well loved child lived here.

The silence was broken when Albus suddenly said. "Ah…I believe they are here."

Just as suddenly, the Floo came alive with green flame and Severus stepped out with Harry in his arms.

"Good Afternoon, Harry," Albus greeted as Severus put Harry down.

"Hi, Uncle Albus," Harry said in return. Upon seeing the strange man in the room, Harry instinctively moved closer to his Daddy and grabbed his hand.

Severus looked down at his boy, who was valiantly trying to put on a brave face. "Harry, this is Mr. Auchmuty. He is here to meet you."

Harry's eyes grew large behind the rims of his glasses. He drew himself closer to his daddy and looked up at him questioningly.

"It's okay, Harry," Severus reassured him. "Mr. Auchmuty is here to help us."

Harry turned back to Mr. Auchmuty and blinked. He hesitantly put out his hand. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Auchmuty," he introduced himself the way his daddy had taught him to.

Auchmuty knelt to Harry's level and shook his hand. "Likewise, Harry. I have talked quite a bit with your godfather. Do you think it will be alright if I talk with you for a bit?"

Severus really did not want to leave Harry alone for this conversation. Not because he was afraid of what Harry would say, but he did not want Harry to feel anxious without him there.

Perhaps if Harry could still see him?

"Harry, why don't you sit here with Albus and talk to Mr. Auchmuty whilst I make some hot chocolate?"

Mr. Auchmuty sat on the sofa while Albus took the adjacent chair. Harry did not feel like sitting down. If he sat down, he could not see Daddy in the kitchen, so instead, he opted to lean against Uncle Albus' knee.

Auchmuty picked up his attached case and took out his legal pad. "You don't mind if I write while we talk, do you Harry?"

"Nuh-uh," Harry replied as his fingers traced across Albus' knee, going over the zodiac signs that were embedded in the dark blue water silk. His eyes occasionally glanced up to ensure his Daddy had not gone anywhere. Albus rubbed Harry's back to reassure him.

"Thank you, Harry," Mr. Auchmuty said as he put his attaché case back down. "How long have you been living with your godfather, Harry?"

"Ever since I was little," Harry replied.

Albus and Mister. Auchmuty both smiled. "Harry came to live with Severus about a week before his fifth birthday." Albus elaborated.

"Thank you… Do you like living with your godfather?"

A broad smile came across Harry's face. "Very much. Daddy loves me."

"I notice you love him very much too, Harry," Mr. Auchmuty commented as he wrote on his pad. "Why do you call your godfather 'Daddy'?"

"Because…when they used to lock me in my cupboard…I would ask my Mummy and Daddy in Heaven to send someone to save me and take me away." Harry's voice wobbled a bit as he thought back to that time. The child obviously did not like talking about his past. "And one day…Uncle Albus came with Daddy. They said he was my godfather. I figured Mummy and Daddy asked God to send me a new daddy to help me."

Auchmuty had to stop. He stared at Harry for a moment. "Harry, did the Dursley's lock you in a cupboard for punishment?

Harry shook his head "No Sir…that's where I lived." Harry sniffed and wiped his nose with his shirt sleeve. "They didn't love me. Daddy loves me."

Severus was coming from the kitchen carrying a tray with a chocolate pot and mugs. As soon as he saw Harry's tears, he quickly put the tray down on his desk and rushed over to his son.

Albus was leaning over, whispering some calming words to Harry.

Harry looked up as he saw Severus come to him and Severus picked him up. Harry laid his head on Severus' shoulder, finding comfort in his father's strength. "Can you avoid the topic of his unfortunate relatives, Mr. Auchmuty? You have barely begun and Harry is already upset."

"I apologise, Professor. That was not my intention," Auchmuty said honestly. "Unfortunately, we will have to revisit the matter at another time. But for now…let's talk about happier things, shall we?"

"May Severus stay with Harry, Mr. Auchmuty?" Albus asked. Harry clung tightly to Severus. His arms looped around and fingers laced tightly behind his guardian's neck. It was apparent he wasn't letting his daddy go anywhere.

"It is not customary. But I've had to make exceptions before. So long as you are silent and do not try to influence Harry's answers, I have no objection that you stay," Auchmuty said to Severus.

Severus took the opposite chair from Albus and settled Harry into his lap. Harry had obviously become more at ease as he leaned his head against his daddy's chest and relaxed his hold a bit .

Albus got up to pour out the forgotten hot chocolate. He passed cups to everyone in the room.

When Mr. Auchmuty sensed that Harry was ready, he resumed his questioning. "Let's try again, Harry, shall we. Tell me how you and your godfather spend time together."

Harry immediately became more animated. Harry was more than happy to tell Mr. Auchmuty how great his daddy was.


It was after 4:00 before Auchmuty finished questioning Harry. After Auchmuty had diverted the subject away from the Dursley's, Harry was more than happy to talk about his daddy, the Weasleys, and Miss Lucy. Severus was grateful when Mr. Auchmuty finally said he found out what he needed. Harry had become so energised; there was no telling how long the child could continue.

Severus was exhausted. He had spent his entire day with the advocate, and he still had to floo the Squib back to Inverness. Albus would have done it, but he was called away by Filch.

The final potions class would be concluding momentarily, so Severus decided to drop of Harry with Lucy until he returned.

As Severus approached his classroom with Harry and Mr. Auchmuty, he could here Lucy's voice admonishing a student. He stopped to listen.

"…Mr. Flint, I do not care what your problem is with Mr. Adams…you do not go about sabotaging another student's potions. You have no idea what havoc you could have created."

"But Dr. O'Conner, he…"

"I don't want excuses Mr. Flint. Did you or did you not toss Billywig wings into Mr, Adams' boil cure potion?"

"Yes Ma'am," a voice mumbled.

"Do you know what kind of reaction that could have caused had I not Vanished the potion?"

"No Ma'am."

"I didn't think so…By Wednesday afternoon you will give me two rolls of parchment on the use of Billywigs and the types of reactions they can cause if used incorrectly… If not, you may look forward to a week's worth of detention with Mr. Filtch. In addition you have deprived Slytherin of five points."

"Five points!" the first year protested. "You're a Snake too…you can't…"

"Would you care to make it ten points and the addition of detention?"

"No Ma'am." Flint became contrite once again.

"You may leave, Mr. Flint."

The dark haired boy came flying out of the room and nearly ran into a very surly Potion's Master.

"Pr...Professor Snape Sir." The boy stammered.

Severus was still in his Muggle attire. Even so…he still looked as intimidating as ever. "Mr. Flint…You will return to your room directly after supper and remain there until I come to speak to you. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes Sir."

Severus waved the boy off and Mr. Flint walked off as quickly as he could before he got in anymore trouble.

"I apologise, Mr.uchmuty," Severus said before entering the room.

"No need," the man waved off Severus' concern. "You are responsible for the children in your House. I would expect nothing less."

Severus entered the classroom with Harry holding his hand and Mr.Auchmuty behind him. "Five points?" he said with a raised brow.

Lucy looked up from the desk from where she was gathering her things. She smiled broadly. "What? Not enough? Should I have made it ten?"

"Billywig wings would not have caused an adverse reaction to a Boil Cure potion," Severus told her.

"You and I know that, but young Mr.Flint does not," Lucy said in her own defence. "Better that he learns his lesson this way. Next time, he may actually blow up your classroom."

"Did you really take away five points Miss Lucy?" Harry asked with a note of scandal in his voice. He let go of Severus' so he could give Lucy her hug.

Lucy ran her fingers through his messy hair. "Why Harry…even you know better than to throw something into a cauldron without knowing what it will do."

"Lucy" Severus interjected, "May I impose upon you to watch Harry whilst escort Mr.Auchmuty back to Inverness?"

"Severus…you know it's no imposition…and you forget your manners. Mr.Auchmuty…I'm Lucy O'Conner," she extended her hand with a bright smile.

Auchmuty reached out and shook Lucy's offered hand. "A pleasure, Dr. O'Conner. Harry speaks highly of you," he noticed the young woman's pregnancy. He would make sure to ask Severus about his relationship with Dr. O'Conner and her child.

"Harry is a little flatterer," she said. "I have plans to see Pawpaw. Do you mind if I bring Harry along?" she asked Severus.

"I will see you there," Severus told her. Remus Lupin would be there, and Severus had a favour to ask of him.


Severus had arrived later than he wished at the Boar's Head. Mr.Auchmuty had asked about his relationship with Lucy and Severus found himself explaining the circumstances that led to him becoming romantically involved with a witch expecting another man's child. Mr.Auchmuty said it would probably be of no consequence, but he needed to know, just in case the matter was raised.

They had enjoyed supper at the pub. It was a little known fact that Aberforth served one of the best steak and kidney pies around.

Harry was now at the bar with Hagrid. The half-giant had brought in his newly acquired boarhound puppy to show off to Aberforth. Of course now Harry was being entertained as the puppy tried to chew on Hagrid's shirt sleeve.

Monday nights were slow. There were only two other patrons in the bar, both of them only interested in keeping to themselves.

Lucy had informed Severus that Wodworth would arrive with the manuscript on Saturday, but he was off in his own world.

"Sweetheart…are you alright? You look exhausted," Lucy said as she reached across the table for Severus' hand.

Severus wearily nodded. "It has been a long day," he admitted. "Tomorrow I need to go to Surrey to get Petunia to sign the papers. Then I have an afternoon appointment with Mr.Singh."

However, that was not all that was on his mind.

Aberforth had arrived at the table with Severus' wine and Lucy's tea. "Boy… Lucy's right-you look done in. Can't you wait a day or two to get those papers signed?"

"No. I have a feeling that I need to expedite this as soon as possible. The longer this drags out, the more likely it will leak to the media," Severus said. "Having guardianship of Harry is one thing. But there are many who would consider his adoption as a personal affront to the Potter's…There could be a backlash."

"He does have a point, Pawpaw. There are those out there who are more concerned with the myth the name 'Potter' represents than the happiness of one little boy."

The three looked over to the bar where Harry was giggling. Hagrid's puppy was aggressively licking his ears.

"Aberforth…is Lupin around?" Severus asked, never taking his eyes off his laughing boy.

"Aye…He's in the cellar fetchin'a barrel…I'll let him know you wish to speak to him." Aberforth then left Severus and Lucy to themselves."

Lucy looked at Severus curiously. "Why do you need to speak to Alf suddenly…You usually avoid him if you can."

"I would think you would encourage my actively trying to speak to Lupin."

"Oh… no complaints from me," Lucy told him. "I was just curious if you were having a change of heart."

Severus took a sip of his wine. "I have no desire to become chummy with Remus Lupin," Severus admitted. "I'm asking a favour on behalf of Harry."

Lucy did not have time to ask Severus to elaborate as Lupin approached the table. He looked strong and healthy. It would be Saturday before he would begin to feel the initial affects of the approaching full moon.

"Hello Lucy…Severus. You wished to see me?" Remus gave Severus a quizzical look. Severus had never actively sought him out for a personal conversation before.

Once upon a time, Severus would have answered that query with an insult, but he needed Lupin for Harry's sake. "I'm sure you realise what Friday is," Severus said.

Remus wrapped his arms around himself protectively. He did not want to think about the devastation his once best friend had created. He simply nodded.

"Last Halloween, Harry wanted to see his parents resting place," Severus explained. "Seeing that he was old enough to ask…he was old enough to go."

Severus had taken Harry to the churchyard that night. Before they entered the gates however, they had gone into the church and lit two candles in memory of Lily and James.

Remus looked at Severus unbelieving. "You didn't tell him about…"

"Of course I told him some things," Severus said irritably. "I could not have him believe those lies his relatives spewed out about Li...his parents. He deserves to know that they died saving him and not in a drunken car crash as Petunia said they had." He was trying to hold down his voice so others would not hear.

"I did not go into details. Harry isn't old enough to understand most of them," Severus continued. "However, as much as I can regale Harry with my memories of Lily…I have no favourable memories of James Potter as I am sure you are aware…I am asking you to fill that void."

Remus dropped his hands to his side. He stood dumbstruck. Remus turned to Lucy. "What did you do to him?"

Lucy scoffed and shook her head. "Don't look at me. This is the man I've always known." She smiled at Severus. She knew deep down, how hard it was for him to ask this of Alf.

*** 27 October, 1986-6:55p.m.-Azkaban Prison***

His head darted back and forth, yellow eyes fixed on a movement. Everything looked so large…so clear. A rat scurried along the back wall. It would make the perfect meal.

The great black rook spread his ebony wings, readying himself to swoop down on his prey. He launched himself off of the ledge. But something had gone horribly wrong.

"OOOFF!" The man smacked and landed spread eagle against the stone floor. A hoarse laugh came from the other side of the wall.

"You need to learn to walk before you can fly, my friend."

Kenneth stayed on the floor and rubbed the back of his head in an effort to ease the pain. "I thought I could hold it this time."

"You only managed to transform for the first time two days ago. It may take weeks before you can hold your form at will." Black told him. It had taken him and the Marauders a couple of years to learn their Animagus skills. But their magic had not fully developed and they had no one with experience to teach them. They had been extremely lucky that they had not caused themselves permanent damage.

Kenneth was the first neighbour Sirius Black had since he was thrown into Azkaban. Kenneth had seen Sirius in his Animagus form that first day. When Sirius told him that the transformation helped ease the effects the Dementors had on the psyche, Kenneth had been intrigued. He had worked up the courage to ask Black to teach him the skill. Kenneth had not been a diplomat for nothing. He was sure that Black would happily oblige, if only for the chance of having some human contact.

Kenneth was right. Black happily obliged.

After all, Kenneth had led Black to believe that they had much in common. They believed they had been accused of crimes they did not commit-and the both had an ingrained hatred for one Severus Snape.

Chapter End Notes:
"The House on Pooh Corner," was written bt A.A. Milne.