Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Warning:Moderately explicit sexual imagery.
The Spell Book

***1 November, 1986-6:32a.m. ***

It was far too early to get up as far as Lucy was concerned. One of the perks of teaching was sleeping in on the weekends… at least when research did not dominate her life.

Lucy felt the butterflies in her stomach. She was altogether giddy with anticipation and terrified at the enormous responsibility she was about to take on. Her life would change today. Wodworth would deliver the manuscript. It could take decades to complete and she would become the world's foremost authority on the subject. Her brain was having a difficult time processing it all.

Like it or not, Lucy needed to get up and meet her life's work. But at the moment, that proved to be a difficult problem, because right at this particular time, Lucy was lying on her side and Severus had his legs and arms wrapped around her, using Lucy as a literal body pillow.

Lucy looked down at the mass of silky black hair that rested on her flannel covered breasts and scoffed. Severus really did not snore. She watched as his hair moved in rhythm with his light breathing. Who would have thunk with a proboscis such has his? It really did defy all scientific and magical reasoning.

Lucy noticed that the duvet cover had fallen to the floor. It probably happened sometime during the night as their intertwined bodies provided all the warmth they needed.

It was really hard to tell were Lucy ended and Severus began as she was wearing the matching top to his green plaid pyjama bottoms.

Merlin…she hated to do it, having Severus wrapped around her was like being wrapped in bliss, but she had to do it. Not only was it time for her to get up, she really had to pee.

"Severus…" she whispered with urgency as she poked his shoulder. "Severus…I need to get up."

The only response she had was Severus shifting himself lower. His cheek lay atop her belly and his arms were firmly around her waist.

This was not good. Lucy wasn't sure she could stand the pressure on her bladder.

"Severus," Lucy said even more firmly and giving him determined shake. "If you don't get up, I won't be held responsible for what happens."

This time Severus did wake up. He turned his sleepy head to Lucy. "Hmm…Good morning," he said dreamily. He began to put his head back down on Lucy's abdomen when he felt something wiggle beneath Lucy's belly.

Severus scrambled back in wide-eyed surprise and Lucy grabbed her belly and squealed. "Oh!"

They both stared at each other in amazement for a time. Together they grinned widely at the realisation of what just happened.

"She moved," Severus said through his laughter.

"Yeah," Lucy said, nodding enthusiastically staring at Severus with deranged happiness.

The urgency in her bladder had eased as the baby was no longer sitting directly on top of it.

Severus scooted back over to Lucy and placed a hand on either side of her belly. He sat on his knees and stared in wonderment. Together he and Lucy had experienced this first sign of a new life. He rubbed a hand across Lucy's stomach. His eyes glanced up at Lucy. "Do you think she heard me?"

Another little kick.

"I would take that as a 'yes'," she couldn't control the joyous tears that began to stream down her face.

Severus laid his head down on Lucy's belly again. His smile refused to fade as he breathed in time with the rising and falling of Lucy's stomach. He had just made a truly magical connection with the little spirit that dwelled within. The child's first quickening was prompted by the sound of Severus' voice.

***8:23 a.m. ***

Professor Thaddeus Wodworth was inspecting Lucy's custom designed scriptorium with Albus Dumbledore as his tour guide.

Wodworth was a short, stout wizard. His unnaturally black hair was in stark contrast to his greying van-dyke beard. The man had the most perfect Oxford accent. He sported a stereotypical brown tweed Muggle suit under is woollen tan travelling cloak. He might as well have had a sign on his back that read 'Egg Head'.

Standing together, Thaddeus Wodworth and Albus Dumbledore looked like the product of a time turner expedition gone wrong. Albus looked like he stepped out of the Middle Ages; Wodworth looked like he stepped out of a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle novel (only with really bad hair).

The chamber was not small, but neither was it overly large. It was sixteen by twenty square feet and the ceilings were twenty feet high. The light eliminated the room came from wall sconces and a lamp that floated unsupported directly over Lucy's work table. There were no open flames but rather it was a magical light that emitted from the lamp and sconces.

Lucy used a powerful charm of her own devising that kept the room at a constant temperature and humidity. In the week she and Albus had spent setting up the room, it took her nearly two days to permanently set the charm into the walls, floor and ceiling.

On one wall there was a long cabinet that looked like card catalogue drawers that one would find in a library. But rather than references to books, within the wooden drawers were blocks of raw pigment. Each drawer was carefully labelled as to what was held within.

Along the adjoining wall as a shelf that held various wooden boxes. Within these were swan feathers, sand, quill knives, styluses, sharpening tools (when done correctly, sharpening by hand was far superior to anything done by magic), and a variety of preservation agents.

The largest wall held a bookshelf that reached from floor to ceiling and ran the length of the room. It contained Lucy's research material. In that twenty by twenty foot shelf was every known book on Hogwarts and its founders, as well as the known English and European history of the time and every known significant contemporary witch and wizard. Professor Binns was floating among the top selves, looking for a specific tome.

The fourth wall was bare stone with the exception of a heavy Gothic style oak door. The door was situated directly in the middle of the wall with two sconces on either side.

In the middle of the room was a long crescent shaped table. Lucy's work chair was set inside the crescent, on what would be her left, was a pestle but no mortar. There was also a small paint brush and the specialized quills Lucy had custom made for the job. On the right, was a journal, writing quills and ink. In the middle of the table, perched on a raised podium as if awaiting destiny, sat an ancient book with a tarnished silver cover.

The security in the room was tight; it was so tight, that only Albus Dumbledore knew for sure where the chamber was located within the castle. There were no windows that allowed in natural light. The only door in the room led to a small antechamber that contained a Floo, the only way in or out of the room. In that antechamber were also two other doors, a modern cylindrical door led to a photographic dark room, and an older oaken door led that to the loo.

The only access to the Floo was through Lucy's private chamber and the only two other people who would be recognized to come through that Floo and into the scriptorium without Lucy's express permission were Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape.

Albus and Severus were given this security privilege because Albus, as Headmaster, had to establish the security Wards and Severus, as the Head of Slytherin House, had a vested interest in what Lucy was attempting to do. The only reason they had been given access was so if something were to happen to Lucy, the manuscript and her research would not be lost forever.

"I must say… I am impressed with what you have done here, Dr O'Conner," Wodworth said with an authoritative air. "I can see why you came so highly recommended," pointing out Lucy's attention to detail and the fact that even though her work had not even begun, Lucy had made a potentially significant discovery.

There were less than a dozen people in the world, magical or Muggle, who could do the type of work Lucy was about to undertake. According to Wodworth. whenever the museum asked other institutions for recommendations for a specialist, one name came up over and over; Dr Lucile O'Conner. While she worked on her dissertation under the late, great Dr Roger Harington, she developed many of the preservation spells that were just now starting to become standard among document preservationists. Not only that, her reproductions from the Book of Kells were hardly distinguishable from the originals.

Unlike others who were merely art historians and preservationist, Lucy was also a research historian. Not only could she restore and preserve the manuscript she was charged with, she was one of only two or three people in the world who was competent enough on the subject to possibly decipher the secrets held within. Lucy trained and specialised in multiple historical disciplines and she could do alone work that usually involved entire teams.

Wodworth could scarcely hide the fact that he was beside himself when Lucy agreed to take on the project. The museum would save a fortune paying only one witch instead of a team. Granted, Lucy would receive a substantial salary for her work, but it was still only half of what the museum would pay for a team of three or four. Wodworth seemed to be patient when Lucy explained exactly what needed to be done and how long it would take. It may take more time to have the work done, but it would be well worth the wait to have it done right and at less expense.

Wodworth pulled out his pocket watch, indicating he would have to leave soon, "Where is Professor Snape I wonder?" he said without attempting to hide irritation. "I should hope to meet him before I have to away"

Lucy and Professor Binns looked over their shoulders. The ghost had found the book he had been looking for and together he and Lucy were pouring over the castle's architectural layout.

"I believe he has taken young Harry down to the gamekeepers hut," Albus said unaffected. "He should be here shortly. Severus does know his way down, doesn't he, my dear?" Albus asked Lucy.

"Yes…I gave him instructions at breakfast."

Wodworth's attitude changed at the mention of Harry's name. "Ah…Yes. He is the guardian of Harry Potter, isn't he?" He sounded like a teenager about to meet a rock star, "I don't see why he could not have just brought the child along? I'm sure we could have found something to entertain the boy." He was looking around as if Harry and Severus would just simply step out of the stone walls. Wodworth's desire to have a close-up look at The-Boy-Who-Lived could not have been any more glaring.

Lucy snapped her book shut. "Professor…you don't mean to say it would be appropriate to have a child…any child…playing around a one-thousand year old manuscript?" she said tersely. Lucy really didn't believe that Harry would misbehave, but she could not stand to see people treat Harry as if he were an object to be put on display.

Wodworth averted his eyes to the drawers that lined the walls and thumbed over the labels in a vain attempt to hide his embarrassment. His blatant hero worship of a six year old boy was unbecoming of a man in his position. "Yes…perhaps you are right, Doctor," Wodworth said, trying to recover his dignity.

"I should be off," Wodworth sniffed. "I do suppose I can meet Professor Snape some other time." There was a disappointment in his tone, but not from missing his chance to see Severus.

Lucy walked to her work and laid down her book. "I will be in contact after I have finished the first three pages or if I discover anything else of significance." Her tone was cordial, but short indicating she was ready for the man to leave. She inwardly thanked the Lord above that she did not have to work closely with Wodworth. Lucy had no use for Heroes or Hero Worshipers.

The fact that the baby was once again on the move did nothing to help her mood. She really wanted to sit down.


After Albus escorted Wodworth out, Lucy sat down for a few minutes, then got up and began to gather what she would need to start her work.

Today, she would only be taking detailed photographs of the Carpet page and the first two Illuminated pages. It was actually more delicate work than what it sounded as the pages were vulnerable to any changes in light or temperature.

Not only would these photos serve as 'before' pictures, Lucy would refer to them as she learned to replicate the script before she even attempted to touch the originals. She did not wish to expose the original manuscript any more than was absolutely necessary.

"Do you require any assistance, My Dear?" Professor Binns' ethereal voice inquired.

"No…thank you, Professor," Lucy said in genuine gratitude as continued to collect her equipment.

The ghostly professor nodded in recognition. "Then I shall leave you to your task," he said. "You should be proud of yourself, Young Lady. This is a proud day for Hogwarts."

Lucy looked at the old ghost who had been nothing but critical of her since she stepped into the castle. She could not help but blush. "You are far too kind in your praise, Professor."

"Not at all," Binns said with rarely shown affection, "And please…the name is Cuthbert," at that, he floated out of the room and left Lucy standing with a gob-smacked expression on her face.

After a few seconds, Lucy shook her head regained her senses. She then continued with her work.

Lucy was putting on her reading glasses when she heard the Floo in the antechamber come to life. It could only be one of two people.

There was a rap on the door.

"Come in Severus," Lucy said as she slipped on her white, acid free gloves. As Uncle Albus was escorting Wodworth out of Hogwarts, the process of elimination told Lucy who was at her door.

The door slowly opened and Severus poked his head in the door before he hesitantly stepped in. "I hope I'm not disturbing you," Severus' eyes calmly examined the room.

He was not an historian, but Severus appreciated the pursuit of knowledge. At least he would know where to find Lucy should she disappear for hours on end. Severus could happily spends days locked away in this room himself.

"Not at all," Lucy said with a smile that was reminiscent of a child unwrapping a favourite toy on Christmas morning. "Did you meet Wodworth?" Lucy's smile faded with a hint of distaste.

"Yes," Severus intoned, echoing Lucy's bête-noir. "He seems keen upon meeting Harry."

"I find it amazing how otherwise intelligent people find themselves acting like complete jerk-wads when it comes to that name."

Severus gave an undignified snort when he heard Lucy refer to her new boss as a 'jerk-wad', but the change in mood invited a change in subject.

"How are you feeling?" Severus asked as he came around to Lucy's side of the table. He thought that perhaps the baby's new movements would somehow exhaust Lucy.

"Oh…I'm fine," she said cheerfully as she embraced Severus. Lucy wasn't tired, she was sore. "She's quieted down some since this morning. But I have to admit…It feels a little weird when she decides she wants a change in scenery." Lucy was rubbing her increasingly sore belly. The new movement would take some getting used to and Lucy was afraid she was going to be permanently black and blue before the baby was born.

She looked up at Severus, her child like grin was back on her face. "Would you like to see my little secret?"

Severus' curiosity had to be satiated. For weeks now, Lucy has talked about little more than the Wodworth project and Severus was finally getting to see what all of her excitement was all about.

Lucy took off her right glove and grabbed Severus' hand, "Come," she indicated towards the table with a flick of her head. "Come and see."

Lucy led Severus over to the raised rostrum in the middle of her work table.

Severus stared at the tarnished silver book that lay atop if it. The book was approximately sixteen inches long, twelve inches wide and about eight inches thick. Severus could tell without even opening he cover that the pages within were worn and fragile. On the metallic cover of the book, Severus recognised the jewel encrusted insignia of Hogwarts, but with a striking difference. The coat of arms contained all of the House crests, but the green quadrant which housed the House emblem of Slytherin was twice as large as all of the others.

"Lucy? What is this?" Severus was almost afraid to ask, as if the sound of his voice could damage the delicate pages within. He noticed Lucy was slipping her glove back on.

"This Severus," Lucy said admiringly as she dared to touch the silver cover "Is the Spell Book of Salazar Slytherin."

She couldn't take her eyes off of it. She was almost afraid if she did, the book would be gone and it all would be nothing but a cruel dream.

"You mean to tell me…" Severus began is disbelief.

"These pages were penned by the hand of Salazar Slytherin himself," Lucy said breathlessly. Her mind could hardly grasp the reality that the pigment from her quill, would bond with that of one of the most influential and powerful Wizards who ever lived. "It will be my job to restore the pages and to study, decipher, and record the information inside."

Taking her gloved hand, Lucy carefully lifted the cover to reveal the ornate carpet page. Ironically, green was not the dominate colour but rather it was red.

The colours were very faded and the picture was done in the two dimensional style of all art of the Middle Ages, but it was obviously a representation of the original Hogwarts. The vellum it was printed on was so worn; Severus thought the slightest breeze would cause the parchment to disintegrate into dust.

"Isn't it exquisite?" Lucy whispered reverently.

Actually, it looked like an old worn out book to Severus, but its importance and rarity did not fail to escape him by any means. Lucy was about to become a very important witch.

"Lucy…I'm at a loss for words." Lucy looked up at him. Her eyes were glistening with excitement. "Do you realise that you will become the definitive authority on Salazar Slytherin?"

"Oh yes," Lucy said as she inhaled deeply. "It is a bit overwhelming actually."

"Do you think you can do it?"

"Oh…I can do it," Lucy said in a tone that left no room for doubt. "My Doctorial advisor, Doctor Harrington, was the best in this field and I worked alongside him on two very similar projects, though granted, nothing of this significance."

Severus instinctively took a step back as Lucy took her camera and began to snap pictures of the Carpet page in situ.

After she had done this, she began to utter a string of Latin and waved her wand over the parchment. A fine mist of blue light emitted from her wand. It fell over the page and dissipated into seeming nothingness.

Severus held his breath as Lucy chanted another string of complicated spells and the first page arose ever so slightly from the second. She pointed her wand between the small gap between the pages and repeated the misting spell.

He found it fascinating the care and concentration she gave her work. Severus wondered if that was how he looked when he was in the middle of one of his more complicated brews. The look on Lucy's face certainly mirrored his emotions when he was drawn into his art.

Lucy explained that this process was to protect the pigment and impede it from coming off the vellum. She had to repeat the spell on the second page so keep as little pigment as possible from being displaced during page removal.

When Lucy had finished this process, she walked around the tables and slowly levitated the carpet page to a flat surface. A soft anti-UV light shone through the bottom of the parchment. When Lucy was satisfied that the page was safe, she gestured for Severus to come and look.

"Look at this, Severus," Lucy said, now in purely academic mode. "I believe that this page already tells us something…here."

Severus stood next to Lucy and looked down at the illustration to which she pointed. "This is obviously Hogwarts," Lucy indicated to the drawing of the castle. "Notice the towers and the lower levels."

Severus pointed to different parts of the castle and the people placed within it. He was careful not to touch the page. "These represent the founders and their Houses," he correctly noted.

In one tower stood a man with red hair and a sword, in the other, a beautiful raven haired woman wearing a tiara. In a lower level of the castle was a portly woman with red hair, holding a golden cup and in the dungeon was a thin, balding man with a long, thin black beard.

"Yes," Lucy concurred. "What is important about these is that they are the only images we have of the Founders that we know were made during their lifetimes. So we can be fairly certain that these are accurate portrayals."

"But this is even more fascinating," Lucy pointed to the waving blue lines directly under the castle. "This represents the Black Lake." There was no depth to the illustration so it looked as though Hogwarts was floating directly on top of the lake, but what was beneath the lake was what really caught Lucy's eye.

"Is this a cave?" Severus asked, referring to an open space below the lake with a depiction of an impossibly large snake.

Lucy shook her head. "I don't think so, Severus," she said firmly. "I believe this may be documented evidence from a primary source, indicating that the Chamber of Secrets is no myth."

***2:24 p.m. ***

Lucy had been working practically non-stop all day. Earlier that afternoon, at Severus' insistence she agreed to have a table set up in the antechamber were she could indulge in a quick lunch.

Severus had taken that time to go down to Hagrid's hut and retrieve Harry. However, Harry was reluctant to leave because the Half-Giant was teaching him how to make rock cakes. Harry wanted to bring some to Miss Lucy because Hagrid had told him Miss Lucy was fond of rock cakes.

Severus had told Harry that they mustn't intrude any longer on the game keeper's time, but Hagrid had insisted that it was no intrusion and that he would be more than happy to watch over 'Young 'Arry' the rest of the afternoon.

After a bit of consideration, and thinking he really should make Hagrid clean up the flour-encrusted boy, Severus had decided that it would most likely be the last time he could indulge himself watching Lucy's fascinating work. So he told Hagrid that he would pick up Harry before tea. Severus then headed back up to the castle. He was unaware of the great, black Irish wolfhound that watched him from the nearby Forbidden Forest.


Lucy was felling better now. When Severus returned, he had thought to bring a mild potion that would dull the discomfort of the baby's movements.

Lucy and Severus were now working together to develop her new photographs. She clicked the photo enlarger, dodged and burned the paper and handed it to Severus for development. Magical cameras had the advantage of instantly developing film, but it was still up to the photographer process the pictures. Lucy would not trust the dodging and burning process to anyone else, as she knew exactly the effect she was trying to achieve.

Severus had talked her into allowing him to handle chemical process of the photo development. Some of the ingredients in the developer and fixer potions have never been tested on pregnant women and their unborn children. It was unlikely that the baby would be harmed by Lucy's mishandling of the potions, but they had both decided that it was better to err on the side of caution.

The last photograph quickly went through its development process and floated into the drying cabinet at the other side of the room. The red glow of the darkroom lights were still on and Severus watched Lucy as she prepared her equipment for storage. He was still looking at her when he banished the photographic potions. He stopped and stared at her.

"What?" Lucy turned to ask. She had felt Severus dark eyes gazing at her.

"Have I ever told you how very pretty you are?" he asked softly.

Lucy bit her bottom lip and averted her eyes. In fact, Severus had never said anything like that to her before. Kenneth had often commented that she was beautiful, but he was always patronising with his praise and it had come to mean very little to Lucy. But somehow simply being called 'pretty' and the way Severus had looked at her when he said it, made Lucy's heart jump.

Lucy turned her back to him and smiled to herself as she continued to pack her camera. "You ought to be careful of what you say Severus. Flattery will get you everywhere."

Severus walked over to where Lucy was at the work bench. He turned with his back to the bench so he could face her. He was smiling as he manipulated his head in an effort to make Lucy give him eye contact. "You also have the most hypnotic blue eyes I have ever seen," he said cheekily.

Lucy set her elbow on the workspace. She propped up her head and laughed at Severus in disbelief. "You know, you're simply incorrigible."

Severus chuckled and bent over to whisper into her ear. "You know, my darling…that we are in the most private heart of the castle. We could scream each other's names to the gods, and no one would ever hear us."

Lucy could feel the rumbling in Severus' chest as he spoke to her. She slowly stood upright and faced him, and gazing into his eyes in the surreal amber glow of the room. She could feel herself starting to give into him. She welcomed the sensation.

In the time it took their hearts to beat, they were locked in a passionate embrace. They had not made love since that first night and the desire to express their need for one another had finally reached its apex.

Severus took his wand out and banished everything from the work bench before he dropped it uncharacteristically to the floor. He lifted Lucy on top of the bench as his hand found its way up her skirt and deftly removed her knickers. While he was thus occupied, her fingers danced down the front of this chest, releasing the many buttons of his frock-coat as they did. He took his hands off of Lucy only long enough to remove his coat and linen shirt.

His body was on fire as Lucy ran her hands along his lean lower abdomen then caressed him between his legs.

Severus had miraculously somehow, if one could call such fumblings miracles, managed to remove his coat and shirt and through the muddled haze of passion he had relieved Lucy of her blouse and brassiere as well.

Lucy pulled Severus close to her and moaned as once again began to kiss him hungrily and she continued to stroke him through the bulging fabric over his trousers. "Why Professor Snape…you naughty, naughty boy," she panted in his ear.

Lucy suddenly felt Severus' lips on hers when he growled under his breath, "Flattery will get you everywhere."

Lucy backed farther on to the work table, and Severus hoisted himself up to join her. She laid back on the counter's cold hard surface. Severus put his left hand under her head and supported himself over Lucy by locking his arm pressing his fist into the counter top.

Severus was working on removing Lucy's skirt, her only remaining article of clothing, and Lucy had removed Severus' belt and undone his fly. She had him nearly free of his ever tightening trousers when…

"Severus?" Albus called from the Floo in the other room. "Severus, are you there?"

"Damn!" Severus and Lucy said in unison. Severus' chin dropped to his chest and Lucy plopped her head on his hand.

Lucy outstretched her hand from under Severus' body and summoned her wand from off the floor. Once the instrument flew into her waiting palm, she cast a charm she had learned in college for just such situations that allowed Albus to hear them without opening the door. Severus had not moved from his position over Lucy. "What is it old man?" he said irritably. "Lucy and I are in the middle of something…important."

Lucy had to stifle her laugh against Severus' shoulder as he looked at her with a raised eyebrow and shrugged. What else could he say? ... 'I'm about to shag your great niece on top of the darkroom table, sod off for half an hour'?

"Could it wait Uncle Albus? We really are at a critical stage here?" Lucy said with as much dignity as one could muster when they were laying with their bare breasted tits up in a compromising position and their 105 year old uncle was practically on the other side of the door.

Severus kissed Lucy on her nose, as if to applaud her efforts.

"I'm afraid it cannot. Severus I need you in my office post-haste."

Severus blew his hair out of his face to cover up his sigh. "Give us a moment to clean up down here and I'll be right there."

"I will see you shortly."

Lucy and Severus both rolled their eyes as they heard the slight tinge of amusement in Albus' voice.

Severus looked down regretfully at Lucy's nearly naked body. She looked so lovely with her blonde tresses fanned across the table. "You know…sometimes I truly loathe your great-uncle."

Severus reluctantly moved from his position over Lucy. He held his trousers closed with one hand as he slid over the side of the table.

Lucy continued to lay there and stared at the ceiling. She gave a long suffering sigh and said "Yep…he tends to cause that reaction in people."

She tilted her head to see Severus offering her a hand up. He had slipped his shirt on but had yet to button it. Lucy took his hand and Severus reached around and brought her legs over the side of the table. "Could you hand me my clothes please."

Severus gathered Lucy's effects and gave her a gentle kiss as he handed them to her. "I apologise for the interruption. It was not my intention to be a tease."

Lucy slipped on her bra and turned her back to Severus. "Would you please?" As Severus fastened her bra she said with a playful air, "Oh…don't worry about that Professor Snape. I will demand reckoning when you least expect it."


Severus' robes swept behind him as he ascended the spiral staircase to the Headmaster's office. Whatever this important meeting was, Severus hoped it would be over quickly. It was almost time for him to escort Harry back from the Hagrid's Hut, and then Lucy was to meet them at the Head table for supper.

Whatever Albus' reason was for calling him away from Lucy had better be damned good. Severus was in a foul mood that was fuelled by frustration…in more ways than one.

Severus was caught off guard as Albus' office door opened before he had a chance to announce himself. His heart nearly dropped from his chest at the sight of the new Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge sitting in front of Albus' desk. He was flanked on either side by Aurors. One of them Severus recognised as Alastor Moody. Severus scowled at the wizard. Mad-Eye Moody had done his damndest to have Severus thrown into Azkaban. There was definitely no love lost between the two.

Why were they here? Severus had a sinking feeling that they had found out about his bid to adopt Harry through the Muggle courts. Severus would see the lot of them rot in hell before they tried to stop him.

Albus stood up from behind his desk and gestured to Severus. "Please, sit down, Professor Snape."

At hearing the grave formality in Albus' tone, Severus thought to himself that this could not be good.

"I would rather stand if you don't mind," Severus said brusquely. "What is the meaning of this?" he indicated to the Ministry presence.

Fudge shifted rather uncomfortably in his chair. The Aurors remained still with the exception of Moody's ever-watchful and disturbing eye.

"I 'm afraid I have some alarming news, Severus," he raised his hand before Severus could voice any questions, "Before you become overwrought, …Harry is safe with Minerva as we speak."

Severus' face furrowed with confusion. He decided that perhaps it would be best to sit down. "With Minerva? Has something happened to Hagrid?"

Albus leaned into his desk and set his eyes on the Minister. They were not twinkling. "I think it would be appropriate for Minister Fudge to tell you himself."

Severus cast his black eyes to the stout, overly nervous wizard sitting in the chair next to him. Cornelius Fudge looked like he would bolt if a butterfly landed on his chair.

"Yes…well…" he began anxiously clearing his throat. "Sometime between nine o'clock last night and seven o'clock this morning, Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban."

Chapter End Notes:
I really must thank my beta, tambrathegreat, once again. She caught some HUGE errors in this chapter. That's what happens when you proof-read your own work at one o'clock in the morning. And you folks really need to check out her wonderful new story, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'.

Please remember to review. That's the only payment Fanfic writers receive.