Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Revelations

***7 November, 1986-11:03 p.m. ***

"Tell me Mr. Black," Lucy began evenly, her soft and low American regional accent slightly more pronounced. Her voice was as stoic as gaze she set on Black. "What did Kenneth tell you?"

Severus was not fooled. He knew underneath her seemingly placid facade, Lucy was livid. If she was anything like himself she was at her most dangerous.

Lucy's demeanour indicated that she would tolerate nothing less than Black's forthrightness in the matter.

Black was clearly awkward in Lucy's presence and the reason became obvious. Black had not been this close to a woman in years and whether consciously or unconsciously, his body was reacting to Lucy's close proximity. Lupin's Sticking Charm had made matters worse as the mongrel did not have the ability to cross his legs.

Although it was impossible for her not to be aware Black's emerging erection as he vainly attempted nonchalance, Lucy had the grace not to indicate that she noticed his shame. She simply sat there, regally composed, awaiting his answer to her question.

Severus, on the other hand, was not so magnanimous towards Black's indignity. He began to seethe as he brusquely pushed Lupin's hand of the back of the upholstered Queen Anne chair he had offered Lucy and wadded up the afghan that had been draped over it. Severus lobbed it at Black.

Remus coughed uncomfortably into his fist as both Lucy and Black looked up at Severus. The amused gleam her eyes gave to Severus was the only indication Lucy gave that something was amiss.

Black gave Severus an uncharacteristic look of gratitude as he took the wadded up blanket and hastily spread it across his lap, "I...I'm sorry," he stuttered his apology to Lucy. "I'm so embaras..."

"I assure you, your hard on does not interest me, Mr. Black," Lucy said flatly as turned her attention back to the prisoner.

Black palled at Lucy's blunt pronouncement. Remus' cough nearly turned into a choking fit and although he was thrown off by Lucy's frankness in the presence of other men, Severus couldn't help but to smirk. Apparently her retort was enough to deflate Black's...ego...as he seemed to settle himself after Lucy's comment.

Severus gave Remus a quick slap on the back and Remus nodded his gratitude through his mirthful tears. Severus walked over and stood behind Lucy's chair then placed is hand on her shoulder. The fragrance of his sandalwood soap and Harry's baby shampoo wafted from her skin and hair.

Lucy reached back with her own hand and held his to her, indicating that Severus was the only man with permission to touch her.

"As I was saying..." Lucy was impassive as she gained Black's hesitant eye contact again. "Kenneth? Did he tell you about Harry and Severus?"

Severus was taken aback by her first question to Black. He truthfully thought she would ask about Musgrave's excuse for his incarceration and what he had said about her, but rather, her first question concerned himself and Harry. As if she could feel what he was thinking, Lucy gave Severus' hand a slight squeeze.

Now that Black had found a semblance of dignity, he was capable of answering Lucy's question without too much trepidation. "Not initially," he admitted. "Lucius Malfoy mentioned it in passing. My cousin's husband was not even aware I was in the next cell."

"I see," Lucy said evenly. "And what exactly did your 'cousin's husband' say to Kenneth?"

Black looked even more uncomfortable, as if assessing whether or not his answer would end up getting him cursed. But the look Severus gave coupled with that of Lupin's, Black knew in no uncertain terms, that not answering would definitely warrant a curse.

Black cast is eyes down before he answered Lucy. "Malfoy said that it wasn't enough that Sniv...Snape had to claim Harry, but now he claimed Kenneth's child as well."

"Sirius," Everybody looked over to Remus Lupin as he circled the chair he had been standing behind the entire time and took a seat. "What exactly did Kenneth Musgrave tell you about Severus and Lucy?" he asked as he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. He held is gaze fixed on his old friend. His quiet intensity matched Lucy's.

Black's hard gulping swallow was the only audible sound in the room before he finally answered. "That Snape had manipulated his way into Harry's guardianship in a bid for power," the first finger was met by his thumb, and then a second as he said, "He had framed Kenneth for attempted infanticide, and that he had Confunded Lu…erm…you, in order to have you and ingratiate his way into the Dumbledore family."

Lucy looked up at Severus at the same time he cast his gaze down to her. She turned back to the mutt.

"Do I look Confunded to you, Mr. Black?" Lucy asked irritably, breaking her composure breaking for the first time.

"Nah... Uh...No," Black reluctantly admitted with a slight shake of his head. "May I ask a personal question of you...Lu...Miss...?"

"Dr. O'Conner will do. You may ask, but an answer depends upon the nature of the question."

Black nodded in agreement and carefully asked, "Your baby, Dr. O'Conner? Who is the father?" his eyes quickly glanced up suspiciously to Severus.

Severus scowled at Black for his impertinence, but Lucy was un-fazed. "If you speak of who sired my child, I assure you-it was Kenneth, Mr. Black. As for who her father is," Lucy looked up and gave Severus a slight smile and closed her eyes. She looked as though she were trying to find the right words. When she finally opened her eyes and turned to Black and said "Severus is her godfather."

Black still looked sceptical. "Why would Kenneth try to kill his own child?"

Severus could feel Lucy's shoulders tense with pent up frustration and unconsciously tried to massage away her tension, "Because he is a control freak and a manipulative bastard," Lucy tried to say causally.

Black scoffed, and then retorted cynically."And Severus Snape isn't?"

Lucy's patience was now beginning to run as thin as her pursed lips. "I will have you know Mr. Black," Lucy said vehemently. "that it was Kenneth who poured that tea laced with Amortentia and I was the one to discover it." Black's eyes snapped up. It was obviously the first he had heard of this. "Uncle Albus found the potion phial on him and even Legilimized him. It was all Kenneth-all the time, Mr. Black. Severus wasn't even in the room."

"It just so happens," Severus interjected. "That an affidavit arrived from the Ministry today. Musgrave confessed."

Black's jaw dropped as the realisation slowly dawned on him and he was forced to see the truth. "So he did lie to me."

Lucy's lips quirked in irritation, "Imagine that," she said dryly.

"Have you even bothered to read the Prophet?" Severus asked heatedly. "The world thinks you are after Harry."

Sirius looked bewildered. "I am after Harry. Why the surprise?"

"Not to protect him, you great git," Remus snapped. "To kill him. Everybody is convinced you are out to kill Harry!"

"What!" Black shouted as he struggled to release himself from Remus' spell. In his struggle, the blanket had unceremoniously fell to the floor. Lucy flinched slightly at the sudden outburst, but still managed to hold her composure. "Damn it, Remus! Do you mind? I'm not going to hurt anybody!"

Remus looked to Severus and gave a questioning glance. Severus cast his eyes down to Lucy, who was in too close of a proximity to Black for Severus' liking, and gave a subtle shake of his head.

"Not yet," Remus said sternly. "Not until we're sure you can hold your temper."

"Since when did you become Snivellus' lap dog, Moony?" Black snapped spitefully with a jerk of his head in Severus' direction. "I never thought of you as someone who could so easily take it up the a..."

Remus' posture stiffened at Black's insult and Lucy squeezed Severus' hand even tighter. He knew she getting ready to knock the shite out of Black in defence of her friend if the bastard didn't back off.

"If you wish to leave this house in one piece, Mr. Black, I highly recommend that you hold-your-tongue," Lucy's eyes nailed Black with a stone cold glare. Lucy's voice was so chilling, that even Severus' spine crawled.

"Look, lady...I don't know if your boyfriend there has told you everything about himself," Black pointed to Severus. "But he was Dark as they came! Tell us, Snivellus, how many innocent people did you rape and kill before you miraculously 'saw the light'?"

Black was a bigger fool than Severus had originally taken him for. Severus had already drawn his wand. Lupin did not even bother to stop him. But before a curse could cross his lips, the crackle of ozone filled the room. Severus slowly lowered his wand and he, and every other wizard in the room looked around for the source of the wild magic.

The source became apparent as the sound of a hard connected blow and crack of bone reverberated from the walls.

"Oww! "Morgana's frigid tits!" Black screamed out as he grabbed his face in agony. Blood was pouring out from between his fingers.

Severus' attention was suddenly drawn to Lucy. She sat rigid, her hands were clasped so tightly around the arms of his chair, he thought for a moment she might crack the mahogany with her own strength.

Severus rounded the chair and was on his knees in front of Lucy before Remus managed to leave his chair. "Lucy...Darling...can you hear me?"

He knew what her problem was. She did not have her wand and ironically in her weakened state, she was unable to control the emotionally charged accidental magic. He suspected she had withdrawn as she was desperately trying desperately to rein her magic in. As impressive as the display looked, it was in actuality a very weak example of what could happen if a full grown and powerful magus lost control.

Severus shuddered to think what could have happened if Lucy's magic had been fully intact. Then again, probably nothing, as she would have had the strength to keep that magic from escaping.

Severus was just about to have Remus summon Poppy when Lucy finally became coherent. "Whoa...," she said breathlessly. "I suppose it's a good thing I only wanted to punch him in the nose."

"Lucy, are you sure you are alright?" The relief in his voice was evident as he brushed aside one of her golden bangs so he could have a good look into her eyes. Other than exhaustion, Lucy looked normal.

"Mm hmm," she nodded wearily.

"Wha...? Wha's goig on? Eh see alight?" Black frantically asked through his broken nose. Despite the fact that she just shattered his proboscis, he sounded concerned for the pregnant Lucy and guilty that he may have been the cause of her condition.

Severus was too busy checking over Lucy to pay any heed to the dog, but he heard Remus bite out, "She's suffering from Magical Exhaustion, Sirius. She shouldn't be exerting herself."

"She hab Madical Egsalbshon?" he tried to exclaim in disbelief. "Ib hay tube see wha see like whem see is perky! You knowb, she obiously isn' Confummed," Black shouted to Severus through his increasingly swollen nose. "Sees perfek for you, Sname. Goob bluck tube you boaf."

Severus still had his back to the wizards when Remus muttered, "For Merlin's sake... Episkey!"

"Oww! Fu- erm hell!" Black exclaimed for the second time in five minutes. Severus heard the springs on the sofa squeak as Black attempted to jump. "Can't you give a man fair warning, Remus?"

Severus blocked out the rest of the conversation and focused his attention on Lucy. She was a bit listless, but otherwise seemed unharmed.

He was angry with himself for not adhering to his instincts. He should have physically carried Lucy right back up the stairs and dealt with the subsequent temper tantrum later.

"Lucy, do think you can walk?" Severus asked cautiously, offering both hands to his drowsy witch.

"Of course I can," Lucy mummbled and dropped her head sluggishly.

She took Severus' rough hands and attempted to stand only to find that her legs betrayed her. Severus caught her as she collapsed but Lucy weakly insisted , "I promise I can do this, Severus."

Severus rolled his eyes at Lucy's hopeless attempt to assert her independence. "Obstinacy, thy name is Lucille," he sighed to himself as he swept his witch off her feet and into his arms.

"Severus? What are you doing?" she asked in confusion as she looked around, as she appeared though she was trying to understand why her feet were no longer on the floor.

"Taking you to bed," he said simply as he ascended the narrow staircase, leaving the captured prisoner behind and in the trusted hands of Remus Lupin.

Lucy looked at him and uttered "Oh?" She put her arms around Severus' neck and sleepily said into his shoulder, "I'd love to but not tonight, Sweetheart. I really do have a headache."


Severus changed Lucy into her favourite night shirt and informed Aberforth what happened to Lucy and with Sirius Black in his sitting room.

The elder wizard assured Severus that he would keep a close watch over his charges and would cast a minor Ward on the upper landing, just in case.

"As much as I hate to say it, boy, you need to contact Albus right away," Aberforth advised. "Something needs to be done with him. You can't keep an escaped felon in your home."

Severus put his hand to his chin and gave a contemplative nod. "I have no intention to," he said in agreement. His mind, however, was on other matters.

He was thinking that he needed to get in contact with his barrister, Mr. Singh. Albus would see to it that Black would be acquitted, as should be. But Severus also knew that Black would do everything he could to get his hands on Harry. Severus hated to play hardball on this, but he was not about to give up his boy. He had already started the clandestine adoption process and though it may be dirty pool, Severus would keep his intentions secret from Black.

He was roused from his musings when he noticed Aberforth looking over the landing and into the sitting room below.

"Severus, you better get down there, son."

Severus looked over his elder's shoulder to see Remus and Black in a heated debate.

"You fool...Do you know what you may have done?"

"Of course I do, Moony. Why do you think I'm telling you now? And will you take off this damned Sticking Charm!"

"What's this?" Severus demanded as he whisked down the narrow staircase. "What new terror have you brought upon us now, you mangy cur?"

Remus had his arms crossed and was pacing in front of the sofa like a caged wolf. "Oh...you've really done it this time, Padfoot."

"I only taught him as a means to diminish the effect of the Dementors. I didn't know it could be used for escape until I actually did it myself!"

"What the hell has Musgrave to do with your escape, Black?" Severus scowled dangerously from behind him.

Remus stopped his pacing and tossed his hands in to the air in frustration. "Genius over there went and taught Kenneth Musgrave the subtle art and exact science of Animagus Transfiguration. Guess how 'Genius' escaped?"

"The Dementors took no heed of a dog strolling out of the prison," Severus glared at the back of Black's dark head. "I don't suppose you know what form Musgrave takes?"

"No," Black shamefully admitted. "I've never seen it. All I know that he has taken the form of some kind of bird...Snape, look...I'm sorry for what I said earlier, truly. I didn't mean to ..."

"Save it, mutt," Severus said under his breath as he quickly strode over to his Floo.

It was already after midnight. Had they really been interrogating Black for over three hours? Aberforth was right. It was past time to have Albus involved. Severus grabbed a bit of the glittering green powder from the receptacle on the mantel and tossed it into the Floo. The amber flames immediately changed to green, now causing an eerie emerald glow throughout the dark room.

Severus hitched up his trouser legs and knelt before the hearth. He plunged his head into the cool jade flames and bellowed, "Albus Dumbledore's Chambers,-Hogwarts!"


Albus Dumbledore now sat in the same chair Lucy had occupied only thirty minutes before.

He was garbed in blue robes that were so dark; he practically resembled a disembodied head floating about the room. Severus was sitting stoically in the opposite arm chair. Remus still chose to stand, once again hidden amongst Severus' books.

"Sirius," Albus said sadly. "I cannot apologise to you enough for not checking in on you. Events happened during a very difficult time for my family, and I trusted Mr. Crouch's word. I assure you, there will be a full investigation and I will see personally to your full acquittal. Crouch will have much to answer for."

With the presence of Albus Dumbledore assuring Black would not do anything rash, the wizard had finally been released from Lupin's overly effective Sticking Charm. Though Black's anxiety was palpable in the presence of the Headmaster, he at least seemed more comfortable. His legs were now crossed and he was capable of turning his back on Severus' cold eyes.

"And what about Harry?" Black asked. "I was named is primary godfather," he pointedly reminded. "If I hadn't been wrongfully tossed into prison, I would have him right now."

Severus was about to burn Black with his answer, but a raised hand from Albus stayed his tongue. "That is not necessarily the case, my boy," Albus said as he shook his head in disagreement. "Lily cast powerful Blood Wards to protect Harry from Voldemort's followers. They are only effective when Harry can make his home with someone of her own blood. As Mrs. Dursley-Lily's sister, Petunia is...inadequate...in the role of Harry's guardian, Severus is the only alternative."

"Wait... are you telling me Snape and Lily were related?" Sirius palled. He could see his claim over Harry slipping away and for a brief moment, Severus took pity. Everybody knew that blood took precedence over an ephemeral claim to kinship such as godparent in the eyes of the law. Severus was fully aware, however, if Black ever knew the conditions in which he acquired his blood ties with Lily, he could contest Severus' claim in front of the Wizengamot. The Blood Wards had to be kept secret from the Ministry and the general public, just in case some idiot tried to devise a counter-charm.

"In a matter of speaking, yes," Albus unhesitantly hedged. "Rest assured that, Harry is in good hands with Severus. Once matters are settled legally, perhaps the two of you can come to some sort of arrangement regarding the child," Albus suggested magnanimously, this time, his eyes gleaming over his half moon glasses to Severus.

Black did not look assured in the least. Point of fact, Severus thought the prison-gaunt wizard look as though he would sick up.

"Remus?" Albus asked over his shoulder.

"Yes, Albus?"

"Would you be so kind as to deliver see that Sirius to is safely ensconced at Grimmauld Place?"

"I'm not about to hide under my mother's robes!" Black said heatedly. "She wouldn't have me, anyway."

"Walburga died last year, Sirius," Remus said unsympathetically as he stepped out from the shadows.

The only emotional response Black gave was to blink, "Oh?" Severus was interested to note that he was reminded of his own reaction when his father passed.

"Yes," Albus concurred, "And the hold she had on your inheritance as Orion's heir has been lifted. You now have full access to the house and your family vaults, seeing as the Goblins of Gringott's only care that you possess the keys. They are rather like Switzerland in that regard," he said the last, mostly to himself.

"Father's Wards about the house are powerful," Black conceded. He still looked as though the idea of returning to his childhood home as distasteful.

"You must be sure to remain there. It is imperative that you remain unseen," Albus said sternly. "At least until I can have a trial set."

"I still have to go through a trial?"

"It is only a formality," Albus reassured. "But I'm afraid it is a necessary one nonetheless." he said as he arose. "And Severus, I am leaving for Azkaban from here to assure that Mr. Musgrave remains where he belongs."

Severus arose from his chair and nodded his head in gratitude and relief. He said, "Thank you, Albus,"

"I'm afraid I shall have to Legilimize the young man," Albus said regretfully. "The proper Wards around his cell cannot be constructed without knowing exactly what form he takes."

That explained why Black could simply stroll out the doors whilst other Animagi remained safely incarcerated.

"Now then," Albus said with finality and thus closing the subject. "Where is Lucy, Severus? I should like to check on her before I away."

"Up the stairs and to the end of the corridor," Severus said. "Your brother is caring for her," he warned.

Albus gave a wan smile. "Then for the sake of domestic harmony, I shall keep my visit brief."

***10 November, 1986 ***

Severus sat at his desk. He really should be trying to catch up on his backlog of grading. Unfortunately his mind was not on the fourth year research essays regarding the properties of Bezoars. At the moment, Severus found himself drawing out crude architectural plans.

The weekend had been a whirlwind for Severus and not much of a respite from his work week. It was originally planned for Remus to stay Friday evening on the sofa so Severus would have a chance to move over his and Harry's belongings, but much to the chagrin of Severus and Lupin, that was not the case.

Keeping Black in his proper place was going to prove problematic. The mutt kept insisting upon meeting Harry. Remus warned Severus that it may be prudent to erect anti-Apparition wards around his home and to make sure that his Floo denied access from Grimmauld Place. Severus still had no idea what he was going to tell Harry about Sirius Black and unless Black showed some responsibility and restraint, once Severus' parental rights were secure, he was earnestly contemplating naming Remus Lupin as Harry's godfather.

Lupin had confided in Severus that he felt resentful he was charged with seeing to Black. Remus was still angry with Potter and Black for naming Peter Pettigrew as their Secret Keeper. No one knew for sure how long Pettigrew had been the Dark Lord's spy, but the rat was always the most cowardly and vulnerable of their motley crew. Even if Pettigrew hadn't turned coat, Potter and Black would have sentenced the man they called friend to death. How could they not consider that Pettigrew would not be suspect to the Death Eaters?

It seems that Severus was not the only one who perceived Black as a coward and Potter a fool.

Severus had come to find that he found a kindred spirit in Remus Lupin, each keenly feeling the pain over the loss of dear friends and a deep rooted resentment of Sirius Black. Now that Severus and Remus knew the truth as to who actually betrayed their friends, they promised each other that if they ever came across Pettigrew, there would be no negotiating. He was a dead rat.

Strangely enough, Severus was more sympathetic to Black's plight than Remus was. Severus knew what it was like to be labelled as a pariah. He knew the guilt of losing his best friend to a fleeting lapse in judgment and a moment of fear. Severus even understood Black's need to take care of Harry and carry out his greatest promise to his friends.

And Severus had to honest with himself, he had been forgiven of much more heinous crimes than Black had ever committed. He could not in good conscience hold Black's error in judgment over his head for too long.

But unless Black took his head out of his arse and accepted that his perceptions on reality were skewed and that Harry was in the best place he could possibly be, Black would burn his bridges irrevocably.

It wasn't until mid-afternoon on Saturday when Remus could arrive at Severus' home and the werewolf was obviously tired. Lupin had to make the trip to Gringott's in Black's stead and make sure that he had food and the basic necessities at hand. The old house elf would see to Black from there. According to Lupin, the wizened elf was happy to have someone to serve after being without his mistress for over a year. Much to Black's ire, the elf had welcomed him back as a martyred hero for sacrificing his freedom to the Dark Lord's cause and ridding the world of filthy Muggles and blood traitors- a comment that had earned the elf a quick kick from Black. Severus thought that was foolish on Black's part. It was akin to suicide to turn a bound servant against its master.

Lucy had actually slept most of the weekend and surprisingly stayed in bed whilst she was awake. Poppy had checked in and informed Lucy that another outburst like the previous nights could permanently cost Lucy her magic.

Lucy did not lack for much in her incapacitated state. Harry was eager to attend her every need... as many needs as a six year old could practically attend to. He would happily crawl up next to her in bed and read his 'newest favourite' story, The Velveteen Rabbit. Harry would even bring Thor into bed with them to listen to his storytelling.

Aberforth and Albus had stopped in everyday to visit their granddaughter and niece. Severus wondered what they could have said to each other on Friday night. It was the first time he hadn't seen the brothers at each other throats after five minutes in the same room together.

Severus asked Lucy what she required from her home or office. He brought her the spell book photographs, her calligraphy supplies, some music she had requested and daily classroom progress reports from Binns. At least she would have some diversion during the week as she began to recover.

Now with Black out of his hair for the moment and the knowledge that Harry and Lucy were no longer in mortal danger, Severus set his mind on other things.

Having so many people in and out of his home over the weekend made Severus realise that it was much too small. He had spent a good portion of the miniscule inheritance he had received from his grandmother Prince to renovate his humble abode when he agreed to take over Harry's guardianship. He knew if he tried to sell the old house now, he would not get half of what it was actually worth. The neighbourhood was simply too far gone.

But there was another alternative. The house that was attached to his had been vacant since before his father had died. The previous owners had lost it to bankruptcy and the bank had yet to find a buyer after all these years. Severus was sure he could acquire the additional property at a relative steal. With the added room, he could add a study and additional bedrooms, expand the sitting room, perhaps even a Master bedroom with an en suite. He could knock out the dividing garden wall and provide a space more suitable for children to run and play.

The purchase and renovation of the house would take up what was left of his inheritance, but Severus felt that an investment in his home would be well worth it. Who knows? Someday it may accommodate a growing family.

A slight, distinctive knock on his office door interrupted Severus' happy musings. Severus recognised the knock. Leave it to Albus Dumbledore!

"Enter, Albus," Severus grumbled as he rolled up the amateur plans and put them in the top drawer of his desk.

"Taking a working lunch I see," said Albus, with his gift for stating what was patently obvious. Severus noted with some irritation that the Headmaster was eyeing Severus' forgotten, half eaten cheese and pickle sandwich with a proprietary air.

Not really wishing to have a lengthy conversation with his employer, Severus picked up the sandwich and took a bite, despite the fact the plain white bread and cheddar cheese had long since dried out.

"Hmm...mmm, yes," he nodded his head in mid-chew. He wiped his mouth with his serviette and said, "As you can see I have a great deal of grading to attend to, Albus," indicating the cascading pile of rolled up essays. "I trust this won't take long."

"Not at all, my boy," Albus answered, setting himself in the chair across from Severus' desk. Before he sat completely down, his eyes lit up at the site of pickled onions setting on the side of Severus' plate.

"Are those Aberforth's?"

"Hmm? Oh...Yes. Help yourself," Severus gestured absentmindedly as he pretended to pursue over Mr. Tremlett's illegible essay. The Hufflepuff was never going to make anything of himself if he didn't get that bloody guitar out of his arse and put his nose into his books. What was the name of that nauseating group he and his band of little miscreants were trying to form? 'The Weird Sisters', or some rubbish.

Albus plucked a pearl onion of Severus' plate and tossed it into his mouth before sitting down. "I miss these," he said nostalgically as he chewed. "Mother's recipe, you know."

Severus could no longer hide his impatience. He purposefully placed the parchment to the table and said archly, "Oh, do just get on with it. Surely you did not come to reminisce over root vegetables, Albus."

He slid the plate over to the Headmaster. Severus had already lost his appetite.

"I just simply thought I would give you an update on Sirius Black's revelations."

Severus leaned back in his chair and looked up at the ceiling. He really did need to get rid of some cobwebs. Then again, they did add to his projected persona. But he simply rolled his shoulders theatrically and lamented, "I could have gone the rest of my life without hearing that name again."

"I do understand, Severus." Albus replied, and if it were possible, Severus thought he could hear the man twinkle. "So do you want wish to hear the 'bad news' or the 'not quite as bad news' first?"

Severus was still studying his ceiling when he rolled his eyes. "Please, Headmaster, get on with it."

"First-the 'not so bad'," Albus said as he finished chewing the second onion, "I have acquired a copy of Mr. Black's trial transcripts. It appears that not one the four Wizengamot members that are listed as attending have any memory of doing so."

Severus sat forward once again, giving his undivided attention to Albus. "The trial transcripts are falsified?"

"Complete fiction," Albus said soberly. "I have ordered an investigation through Internal Affairs and have filed on Sirius' behalf that his sentence be immediately overturned. He can still be charged with the crime, only this time he would receive a fair trial. It would be advantageous if we could produce Pettigrew, but with the Ministry foul up the Wizengamot is likely to believe Sirius, especially if he offers up his memories."

Severus was relieved to hear this news. He may never be friends with Black, but Severus had no desire to see an innocent man handed over to the Dementors.

"And the bad news?"

"I was unable to gain access to Mr. Musgrave," Albus said gravely. "I informed the Warden of their prisoner's new found talent and he assured me that they would have a Ministry Auror capable of Legillimancy look into the matter, however, Musgrave is on suicide watch and is restricted from any visitation."

"Suicide watch?" Severus said incredulously. "He hardly seems the type."

"Imprisonment can change a man. Though I must say, it does sound suspicious considering he allegedly confessed and thereby assured his sentence."

Severus did not like the sound of the implication."Allegedly?"

"My boy, after recent events, I find it difficult to take any claim of the Ministry at face value anymore."