Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Know Thy Enemy

***22 November, 1986-9:33 a.m. ***

The little boy looked even smaller and more than a little petulant as he sat with his eyes downcast and lower lip thrust out. He was keeping his focus on the grey bunny he held in his lap, stroking her silky pelt for comfort. His legs were so short, only his feet protruded over the seat of Severus' oversized recliner.

Lucy sat erect on the sofa, her eyes warily darting to and fro between Severus and Harry.

Severus though he must look like a caged animal the way he continued to pace before them. He most certainly felt like a caged animal. He was angry and heartbroken. Harry had never so blatantly disobeyed the rules and this was the first time Severus had ever felt any real anger for anything the boy had done and he was having a difficult time keeping that anger in check.

Earlier that morning, Severus and his family had taken their breakfast, along with the rest of the school, in the great hall. It was a quiet breakfast as Harry knew that now all the drama had passed, he would soon be punished. Severus and Lucy remained silent because they knew the unpleasant task of punishing Harry lie ahead.

Upon their return to Severus' chambers, he had ordered Harry into his room, whilst he spoke of the boy's fate with Lucy.

Severus decided to forgo a spanking as he was simply too angry. Lucy readily agreed as she did not generally approve of corporal punishment.

As a result, they decided to revoke privileges, the first of which—unsurprisingly—had evoked Harry's immediate protest.

"No Quidditch! But I already missed the Slytherin/Gryffindor game!"

"That includes attending practices—which goes without saying, as for the next week; you will go directly to bed after supper."

"But, Daddy..."

"No 'but, Daddy' to me, young man!" Severus winched when he noticed Harry's jump slightly in his seat at Severus' raised voice. He said in a slightly more moderate tone, "Consider yourself fortunate, that the Quidditch ban is only until the end of term and not the rest of the year." First Harry had the nerve to run off into the Forbidden Forest and now the boy was insolent enough to question his punishment? Severus had never tolerated insolence from any child and he most certainly was not going to start now.

Although Lucy too, was clearly disappointed with Harry, she at least, had years of experience dealing with her young nieces and nephews and managed to keep her tone with Harry even. "You do understand why your daddy and I are so upset, don't you Harry?"

Harry wiped his nose with the handkerchief Severus had already provided and gave a little nod. "Yes ma'am," he sniffed and wiped his nose again. "But I was only trying to help."

"Help?" Severus repeated in an exasperated huff. "This new Gryiffindorish behaviour of jumping head first where angels fear to tread without thinking will stop this instant."

Harry leaned forward slightly in his chair as he took offence to Severus' assessment. "I'm not a Lion. I'm a Snake!"

"Continue to pull stunts as you did yesterday, and I'm sure the Sorting Hat will be inclined to disagree."

Harry crossed his arms and abruptly sat back into the chair. If the topic of discussion had not been so serious, Severus would have found such a display from the small boy almost comical. It actually heartened him to know that Harry was so intent upon joining Slytherin House and that he took any suggestion to the contrary as a personal offence. However, if Harry was to ever hope to enter Severus' House, he would need to know how to choose which battles were worth fighting and how to go about winning them. Now was not the time for defiance.

"If you insist upon pouting, I'm sure we can find valid reasons for you to do so."

Severus felt is temper began to rise again and it was obvious that Lucy noticed as well. "Severus—please?" She gestured for Severus to sit next to her on the sofa. "Sit down, darling. I believe we're getting off subject."

Lucy's voice and mannerisms may have been soft for Harry's sake, but Severus immediately composed himself when he noticed her unmistakeable, 'sit down and calm yourself before I hex your arse to the sofa,' look.

He closed his eyes briefly and released a cleansing breath before he gave her a nearly imperceptible nod of compliance. Severus hitched up is trousers at the knees as he cautiou...slowly, sat next to his witch. Severus truly did need to calm himself. He almost forgot he was addressing a six-year old child who lacked better judgement...not a rebellious sixteen-year old.

As he looked over at Harry, the boy's head was now hanging low; he was whispering nonsensical words into Lucy's rabbit's ears that apparently only the lapin could understand.

Severus was suddenly reminded of how very small his child was. The urge to punish his son at all had inexplicably vanished and he was flooded with guilt over how harsh he had been towards Harry. Rather than risk inflicting anymore damage to his son's delicate psyche, Severus chose to shut-up and allow Lucy to direct the remainder of the discussion.

In a firm yet gentle voice that left no room for refusal, Lucy said, "Harry, look at us."

Harry barely raised his head as his sad, bloodshot gaze focused on Lucy, drifted over to Severus, and then back to Lucy as she began to speak. "Harry...your daddy and I are touched that you wanted us to get back together." Without taking her gaze from Harry, her hand reached back for Severus'. Severus took her small hand in his and gave a soft squeeze.

"However, you know what you did was totally unacceptable. How many times have you been told the Forbidden Forest is off-limits since you came to Hogwarts?" she queried.

Harry twitched under her scrutiny. He meekly replied, "Lots."

"Exactly—you knew perfectly well, you were forbidden to go into that forest for any reason."

"I was only going for a little way. I got lost on accident."

Severus noticed Harry attempting to avert his gaze back to the rabbit, but Lucy would have none of it. She gently took Harry's chin in her hand and turned his face up to her.

"No, Harry—what happened was no accident. You wandered into that forest of your own free will when you know you should not have. Had you stayed where you were supposed to, you would not have gotten lost and you would have never been caught by that Devil's Snare. Many people were out in the forest searching for you last night. Even for grown-ups, it is a dangerous place. Someone could have been hurt looking for you."

Severus noticed a new look in Harry's eyes as he looked up to Lucy. Harry sniffed as a single tear slowly made its way down his cheek. The child was beginning to understand that actions inevitably led to consequences. It was a hard lesson for the boy to learn, but unfortunately a necessary one, even at his tender age. Severus had to admit to himself, Lucy's gentle admonishment had been much more effective than his ranting.

Harry loosened his hold on Thor and the rabbit hopped down to the floor. Harry did not need to reach out for Lucy, as she gathered him up to him into her lap and settled back down on the sofa. He wrapped his arms around her neck and wept remorseful tears into her hair. "I'm sorry. I didn't want anyone to get hurt. I just wanted you to come home."

Lucy placed a hand on the back of Harry's head and gently rocked him whilst she allowed him to have his cry-out. From the look she gave Severus, he could tell she was feeling just as guilty as he was. He felt that this was now the time for him and Lucy to give their own apologies.

He held out his arms and Lucy passed the child to him. Severus positioned Harry on his lap and reminded the leaking boy to use his handkerchief instead of his shirt sleeve.

Harry wiped his nose and then waded the cloth which he then held between both hands he had dutifully placed on his lap. Harry perched on Severus' leg, facing away from him his face turned towards Lucy. Harry was hesitant to ask his next question as evidenced by the twisting of his fingers in the cloth. "A...are you still very angry with me, daddy?"

Severus switched Harry to his left knee so the boy would face both of his parents. "No Harry, I'm not angry with you any longer." He gave his son a small kiss on his sticky, tear-stained cheek. "I believe you have learned your lesson, but I'm afraid you still must face your punishment."

Harry nodded his acceptance and said so quietly as to barely be heard, "I know. I'm sorry."

"We know, Harry, and there is no need for you to apologise again, however...," Severus gave a nervous glance to Lucy. She did not look any more confident about approaching the subject than he did, but a slight upward tilt in her chin, gave him the courage he needed to continue. "Mummy and I need to apologise to you."

Harry looked taken aback at this. "You do?"

Lucy reached over Severus' lap to place her hand on Harry's knee. "Yes, we do, baby. Mummy and Daddy should have never allowed our fight to go on as long as it did. We're sorry that we hurt you."

"But why did you fight? Don't you love each other?"

Severus gave a tiny gesture to Lucy, encouraging her to move in closer, when she did, he wrapped his free arm around her. "Of course we do, Harry. Daddy and Mummy love each other very much." Severus looked over to Lucy and saw the truth of that statement reflecting back up to him in her eyes. "But why we argued is no longer important." He looked back to Harry and said, "However, what you do need to understand is that all mummies and daddies disagree from time to time, but that does not mean that they love each other any less and it certainly has no bearing on how much they will always love their children."

"But why did you go?" Harry his question directly towards Lucy. She had told Severus earlier that she knew the question would come. All at once, she seemed to take their shared guilt unto herself and was at a loss for words. "Harry I'm so sorry, sweetheart. I never meant to be away from home for so long."

Lucy was still trying to find words when Severus suddenly admitted, "Harry, Mummy left that night because Daddy said and did some things that hurt her feelings." The surprise at Severus' admission was apparent from the shocked look on Lucy's face. Harry had narrowed his green eyes at Severus, as if Severus had dared to do something to hurt the boy's mummy.

This time it was Lucy who stepped in. "But he didn't mean to, Harry. I just misunderstood Daddy."

Harry looked over to Severus and asked in an almost critical tone, "Did you tell Mummy you were sorry?"

Severus leaned back a bit, as if trying to escape Harry's accusation. He felt like laughing, but was almost scared to. Lucy on the other hand, stifled a chuckle at how the little boy was so readily willing to defend her from anybody, including Severus. "Yes he did, baby. And I apologised to him too. I should have never had ran away and not give Daddy a chance to explain." She looked over to Severus and said, "I promise never to do that again."

With Harry still on his knee, Severus leaned over and gave Lucy a quick kiss on the lips. It was his thanks to her that she had accepted his apology, and had even given one in return. Severus did not think he needed any reassurance from Lucy, but apparently he had, because her promise not to leave in the middle of their next fight —and yes, there would be others- seemed to have lifted and invisible weight from him. He still felt he owed her an explanation of his behaviour and a promise that he too, would never get up and leave again, but would save that conversation for when they were alone. She knew his meaning when he simply looked into her deep turquoise eyes and said softly, "So do I."

"So you still love each other...even though you made each other angry?"

Both Severus and Lucy turned their attention back to Harry and Lucy said, "Yes we do. And we still love you. Even when you do things that make us angry."

Severus picked up Harry and readjusted his son on his knee so he would almost completely face Severus. "Which brings us back to the topic at hand," Severus said seriously. "I want you to listen very closely to what I have to say, Harry, because I never want you to forget it."

Harry said earnestly and with his full attention on Severus, "Yes, sir."

"Grown-ups do not set rules simply to frustrate children," Severus said without preamble. "We set rules to keep our children safe."

Harry nodded his understanding and Severus continued, "Just remember, Harry, listen to your mother and I and always do as we say. Do these, and no harm shall come to you."

***29 November, 1986-10:30 a.m.***

"Wow," Lucy's voice echoed off the grey, filth-encrusted wall paper as she drew her finger across the banister, revealing a bright swirl of brown wood beneath thick dust. "I think the addition will be all the room we need."

It had been a long week for Severus, in addition to his regular duties, he had to find time to brew Remus' Wolfsbane Potion for the upcoming full moon and meet with the estate agent after the bank had accepted his offer for the house.

He even spent one of his lunch hours at the house as he awaited a man from the telephone company to re-install a Muggle telephone in the house. Lucy's parents owned one and discussing wedding plans over the telephone would be much more convenient than international owl posts. Lucy had to teach Severus to use a touch-tone telephone to her great amusement, as he listened to the tones to discern a melody. Severus had not used a telephone in years, and that had been a rotary dial. That first phone call was made to Lucy's parents and Lucy was so happy, she cried most of the night.

Severus and Lucy were descending the staircase in his newly acquired property. The day before, Severus had closed the sale to the abandoned house that was attached to his own. The property had not been lived in for over half a decade and due to its condition and its location, the bank failed to sell the property, even at auction. As a result, Severus had managed to buy the house at less than one-third of what a house with comparable space would sell at. Unfortunately, the repairs would cost as much—if not more—than the cost of the property.

The house set up mirrored his own, sans the double French doors that led to the back garden. That had been Severus' addition with the last renovation. This house still had the older design with a single, windowless back door that led from the kitchen. The house was also in a deplorable state of disrepair.

The wallpaper was peeling, many of the cupboard and cabinet doors were barely attached to their hinges, and the place absolutely reeked of moulded carpeting and rat urine. Severus had to open every window and door in the house and allow it to air-out for several hours before he allowed Lucy to cross its threshold. As a result, it was now, just as cold inside as it was out.

Severus had been unsure if Lucy would be receptive to his vision of the dilapidated house's potential. However, much to his internal joy, she was every bit as energised about the idea as he was. Lucy was already talking of wall colours, drapery patterns, and the type of granite she wanted for the new kitchen countertops.

Lucy offered to help pay for the cost of renovations, an offer which Severus initially declined out of old-fashioned pride. However Lucy did point out that it would be their home. After all, if she and Severus had not become involved, she was going to have to purchase a home by summer. She had won the argument when she said airily that she would simply put that money into the renovations.

Severus had told her that he intended for the newly remodelled home to be his wedding gift to her. She countered that the newly decorated home would be her wedding gift to him. After some internal debate, Severus had agreed. If it gave her joy to redecorate the house—so be it—he would let her do so.

"If we remove the staircase, I do believe it will open up a surprising amount of living space," Severus said almost to himself. "We can set up a sizable joint office downstairs and I can finally remove my books from the additional room upstairs. We can use that space to expand the existing bedrooms."

In addition to Severus' and Harry's bedrooms, there was another small room that Severus' mother once used as a sewing room. Severus had utilised it for a small potion's lab until Harry moved in. He then used the room as a depository for his darker tomes and warded it from curious imps disguised as little boys. He had to shrink as many books as he could (unfortunately many were resistant to the spell), and still the door nearly buckled from its burden.

In their new office, Severus would add several new shelves for his—and now Lucy's—expansive personal libraries. Now that he thought about, perhaps just one additional house wasn't enough?

As if struck by inspiration, she hurried over to front door. "You know, Severus, we can leave the divider wall between the houses up in the font garden, and I can use this entire space to plant a small flower and herb garden just outside our office windows." As Lucy opened the front door she was caught off-guard by a surprise guest.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, clutching her heart. "Mr. Black, you startled me."

Black was no longer gaunt and not quite as pale, but despite the expensive clothing and new haircut, the man's eyes were still haunted by whatever demons Azkaban had exposed him to.

Apparently, the Ministry had paid Black well, as Black had denied his family fortune out of principal. He certainly did not look as if he were in want of money. The man wore cordovan dragon's hide boots, tailored chocolate brown denim trousers, a blood-red silk, turtle-neck jumper and a black twill sports jacket.

According to Remus, the only part of his inheritance Black did accept was his parent's home at Grimmauld Place, in which he intended to refurbish, practice his curse-breaking skills, and sell at next-to-nothing to the first Muggle born to make an offer.

Lucy was not the only one caught by surprise. Black obviously was not expecting the door to be opened so abruptly. "I...I'm sorry , there was no answer next door." He was pointing in the direction of the occupied potion of the house. He seemed a bit confused as to why he would find Lucy and Severus in the empty dwelling. "I was getting ready to leave when I heard your voices through the window."

"What are you doing here, Black?" Severus asked irritably as he stepped over to the door. Must this particular Marauder always interrupt his life? Severus cursed himself for not erecting any wards as of yet.

"Actually, I came to extend an invitation," Black was craning his head around Lucy's shoulder. "Where's Harry?"

"He's attending a birthday party at the Burrow," Lucy said. "Today is their son—Bill's—birthday. They always invite Harry to their family events."

Severus had been concerned that most of the party attendees would be teenagers, but Arthur had assured him that they had some games planned for the younger children too and that Bill considered Harry almost as a little brother and did not mind having Harry at his party in the least.

Technically, today was the last day of Harry's house confinement. Even during the week, when he spent time at the Burrow whilst Severus and Lucy taught, he was not allowed outside. However, it was not Bill's birthday that prompted Harry's early reprieve from his punishment. It was the fact that the party gave Severus and Lucy the perfect opportunity to begin Christmas shopping that afternoon.

Black's response to Lucy was half disbelief and half cheek. "You don't mean to say that Snape actually willingly allows Harry to associate with Gryffindors, do you?"

Severus ushered Lucy and Black outside and drawled, "Let us continue this next door." There was no heat in the un-renovated house and Lucy had already been exposed to the dust and mould longer than Severus deemed safe.

The trio stepped through the overgrown front garden and Black stepped aside and held open the rusted gate for Lucy. Severus did not like how Black's eyes followed her out the gate. Black continued to hold the gate as Severus passed, his eyes still on Lucy as she passed through the neighbouring gate.

Severus said through gritted teeth, "Continue to leer at my fiancé, Black, and I shall hex your eyes right out of their sockets."

Black was obviously embarrassed and said quietly, "Oh...sorry, Snape. I find myself staring at women quite a bit these days. I didn't even realise."

"Be that as it may, Lucy is not one of your little groupies and if you repeat your 'performance' from that first night, you will find yourself neutered. Do I make myself clear?"

"Don't worry, Snape. I know not to swim in forbidden water."

Severus and Black had thought they were keeping their conversation low enough not to be heard by a certain witch. They stood corrected as they approached Severus' front door only to by stopped by a very annoyed Lucy.

"You know boys, Lucy has been right here the entire time."

Both wizards tensed when confronted by Lucy's glare. Severus and Black cleared their throats both muttered a contrite, "Sorry."

Lucy let Black pass into the house first. Much to his credit, Black made a concerted effort to look anywhere but at Lucy.

As Severus entered his home, he gave Lucy an apologetic kiss on the cheek...in response to which, and to Severus' mortification, she reached around pinched his arse.

Severus instinctively grabbed his bum and mouthed a silent, "Ouch," to Lucy. Lucy gave him a smug smirk. Thankfully, Black's attention was occupied by the back garden and he had missed the entire exchange.

"Please sit down, 'gentlemen,'. If you can manage to keep your wands tucked away for five minutes, I'll make some tea."

When Black turned from the window, he looked about as chastised as Severus felt. Severus offered him one of the wing-back chairs and he asked with unhidden sarcasm, "To what do we owe the pleasure, Black?"

"Boxing Day," Black said matter-of-factually as he sat down. "I am inviting your family to my home for Boxing Day. I realise that you already must have plans for Chris..."

Severus was already shaking his head. "We will be in America and will not return until after the New Year."

Severus wasn't sure whether he should feel relieved or wary when Black voiced no protest. "Pity—I was afraid of something like that," Black said mostly to himself. In a suddenly more optimistic tone he said, "Well, life is all about how we handle Plan 'B,' isn't it? How about an early Christmas then? As you know, Remus has been accepted into the Philharmonic. He won't be performing until spring, but we can still celebrate."

"I'm not quite sure that I am following you."

The rattle of porcelain indicated that Lucy was emerging from the kitchen with the tea tray. Severus arose and met Lucy at the kitchen, taking the tray from her hands.

Severus was slightly impressed that Black had remembered his manners and arose and gave a slight bow as Lucy took her place on the sofa. When Severus placed the tea tray on the table, both men sat down.

As Lucy poured out and handed Black his cup she said, "Help yourself to milk and sugar, Mr. Black. What was this I heard about an early Christmas?"

Black leaned towards the table and added two teaspoons of sugar to his Earl Grey. "Let me start over, if I may?"

Severus and Lucy exchanged confused looks as Black leaned back into his chair, stirred his tea, and continued , "I've been doing quite a bit of thinking since my last...erm...visit," Black said nervously. "And it occurred to me, Snape, that we don't know each other."

"Black, what the bloody hell are you barking about? We've known each other since we were eleven."

"No, no, no," Black waved dismissively. "We don't really know anything about each other...personally, I mean."

Severus did not care to skip down the happy road this bloody conversation would lead. "What do you want to know, Black— my favourite colour? I'll give you three guesses. The first two won't count."

"Don't be ridiculous, Snape. Everyone knows your favourite colour is pink."

Lucy snorted. The result of which only made her want to laugh, a feat that was near impossible considering she had already taken a sip of her tea. She was trying to stifle her laugh, but instead, choked on the liquid. Severus had to slap her on the back. "Honestly, woman. Do try not to wet yourself."

That comment had only succeeded in making Lucy laugh harder. When Lucy was finally composed herself and able to breathe again, she put her hand to her chest and chortled through her tears, "I'm sorry, darling. But you did walk right into that one."

As Lucy continued to chuckle, Black had pointed out, "See—the Severus Snape I know would have hexed her with boils for laughing at him. Since when did you develop a sense of humour?"

"Who said that I had one?"

Lucy blurted out, "Me!" And her hand shot up like an over-eager student attempting to show off before the class.

Now Black joined in with his barking laugh. Severus stared at Lucy. If he did not know better, he would swear she was minced. He gave Lucy an, 'enough already,' look and she abruptly stopped laughing, but her amusement still gleamed in her eyes. She put down her tea and arose from the sofa. Lucy pointed up the staircase and boldly said, "I think I'll go pee now."

Black exploded in laughter again and even Severus had to put his fist over his mouth to hold back his chortle.

Both men rose as Lucy excused herself. Lucy turned to Severus and gave him a soft kiss. Before she could leave he whispered in her ear, "Revenge will be mine, my dear." To which she whispered into his, "And I expect it will be sweet, my lover."

Lucy then faced Black and he accepted her extended hand. "Mr. Black, I do believe for the first time ever, I can honestly say, it's been a pleasure."

Black bent over Lucy's hand, but did not kiss it. "Dr. O'Conner, I can honestly say that is the finest compliment I've had in years."

"I'll leave you gentlemen to your business, then. Severus, I'll be upstairs if you need me."

Severus watched as Lucy ascended the stairs...to ensure that she made it up safely...he told himself. "You're a lucky wizard Severus Snape." Severus was not certain if it was he or Black who had said it.


"I simply had the revelation. Were I in your position, I wouldn't trust me either."

Black had taken the last half-hour from Severus' life, explaining his epiphany as to why Severus did not trust Black with Harry.

"After-all, to you, I'm simply the childhood bully who was accused of murdering your best friend and had recently escaped from prison."

"And it took you how long to figure this out exactly?" Severus asked dryly.

"Let's face it, Snape. I didn't have very good reasons for trusting you either. I've been falsely imprisoned for five years. You were deeper into the Dark Arts than anyone else during our years at Hogwarts, and last I had heard, you were still obsessed with Lily and a suspected Death Eater."

"I can see your point." Severus gruffly admitted as he sipped his fresh cup of tea. He was reminded that Lily's letter still lay unopened in his valet box on his dresser. Severus had been reluctant to open it. He had already made peace with his past with Lily. He did not wish to take a chance on reopening old wounds that may leave scars.

"Thank you." Black said as he leaned back into his chair, looking as though he had just relieved himself from a heavy burden. "It was a bitter pill to swallow to know that Harry was yours." Black reluctantly confessed. "It was even harder to accept that he obviously loves you so...and that you obviously love him. I had seriously considered contesting the adoption, but Remus is right. James and Lily would be very happy with how well you are taking care of Harry. You're providing him with the family I never can. It would be infinitely selfish of me to take that away from him."

Severus kept his eyes focused on his black tea as he slowly put his cup back into the saucer. He was unsure how to answer Black.

Black admitted, "It's apparent to me that there is more to you than what I originally believed. You believed in my innocence before anyone else. And I assure you that I am not as big of a son-of-a-bitch as you think."

"I suppose that is meant to be reassuring," Severus said a little doubtfully.

"It's more reassuring than you think. Snape, I'm not naive. I know you have your demons to contend with. I would also be lying if I didn't say I think I deserved to go to Azkaban."

That statement had caught Severus off guard. "How do you mean?"

Whatever Black's sin was, it was a source of shame, as he no longer capable of looking Severus in the eyes. "I should not have allowed Peter to be Secret Keeper in my stead. For almost two years Peter had groused over how Dumbledore didn't believe he was powerful enough to do anything of real importance for the Order. It was true. Peter was always pants at duelling. But he had threatened that if he wasn't given an important assignment soon, he would leave the Order and we needed very wand we could get at our disposal. James and I tried to convince him that there were no unimportant assignments, but Peter wouldn't have it."

Black smiled sullenly at the next memory. "When the time came for James and Lily to go into hiding, Dumbledore suggested that I be the Secret Keeper. James thought that it would be an opportunity to give Peter his wish to do something of real importance. After all, no one would suspect Peter of being a Secret Keeper and the position did not require any great feats of magic. It only required that one keep their mouth shut. By allowing Peter to become Secret Keeper, James and I signed his and Lily's death warrants. I deserved every day I served in Azkaban, if James had survived, he would have deserved to have gone too. "

Severus was bitterly reminded of his own guilt. Before he was aware of what he was saying, he was confessing his own sins. By this time, neither wizard felt like drinking tea. They only felt the inexplicable need to make peace with their shared past. "At least your crime was done in the name of friendship...not out of cowardice."

Black said nothing, which came as a mild shock to Severus. It would have been the perfect opportunity for his schoolboy nemesis to make a biting remark. Severus would see how willing he was to make peace after Severus confessed his sins.

"You were right about me, you know." Severus gulped in the air before he continued." I willingly took the Dark Mark with every intention of following the Dark Lord when I became of age."

Black was either giving Severus a look of intense hatred or his undivided attention...perhaps both. Severus continued despite the silent scrutiny.

"It did not take long to realise my mistake. However, the Dark Lord does not accept... resignations. I had hoped my opportunity for escape would come when the Dark Lord ordered me to apply for the DADA position. I would appeal to Dumbledore for help."

"Isn't there a rumour that the position is cursed?"

"Who do you think cursed it? If I had taken the post, he would have lifted the curse in order to have his spy in position."

"What happened? Did Dumbledore suspect you?"

Severus related his whole sordid tale from divulging Trelawney's prophecy to the Dark Lord to seeking Dumbledore's protection for Lily and her family. Black listened intently never taking his fathomless grey eyes from Severus.

"As you can see—if I had not feared the Dark Lord's retribution I would have never revealed that prophecy and Lily and Potter would still be alive today. I cannot tell you how frightened I was when I finally turned to Dumbledore. I was certain I was facing death...either at his hands or the Dark Lord's. But it did not matter as long as she was safe...for all the good that did."

When Severus finished his tale, Black looked as drained as Severus felt. "If there were no fear—there would be no heroes." Black said sagely. But Severus did not care to be likened to heroes. "And if you had not revealed that prophecy...I doubt any of us would be alive today."

"Easily said... much harder to believe."

"But you do believe it, don't you?"

Severus had been at peace with his past for some time now. He solemnly answered with the truth, "Yes I do. But the truth of it does not ease the pain."

There was pain etched on Black's face, pain in which Severus was intimately familiar with, "Then what does?" Black's eyes pleaded to know an answer.

"Forgiveness...and purpose," Severus said reflectively. "One might say that I found my purpose before I found forgiveness. Harry...and now Lucy are my purpose. I had to forgive myself before I could accept forgiveness from others."

"It must have been difficult...forgiving yourself, I mean."

"It was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life." Severus admitted for the first time ever. "Take it from a man who was well on his way to walking down the wrong path. Emotional self flagellation will only lead to a lifetime of bitterness and ruination."

The wizards sat in pensive silence, both pondering the confessions and unexpected wisdom of the other. It was the first civilised conversation Severus had ever had with Sirius Black. They had spent over an hour speaking about some very personal topics and both men still had all their limbs. Severus saw that as a very encouraging sign.

After a period of uncomfortable silence Severus had enough. "So Black, what the hell does any of this have to do with an early Christmas?"

The unexpected sound of Severus' voice snapped Black from his reverie. "Oh! I was thinking, since you can't come over for Boxing Day, I would treat everyone to a night out. A philharmonic concert, dinner, and then some presents for Harry. I figure since you really don't know me very well, perhaps that's why you're not too keen to have me alone with Harry. So I figured, why not take everyone? I get to see Harry before Christmas and you are secure in the knowledge that I'm not going to run off to Romania with him."

Severus raised both eyebrows, impressed with the fact that Black had so displayed such a sensitivity. "It seems reasonable to me. What performance did you have in mind?"

"When are you leaving for America?"

"The twenty-second."

"Then let's make it the twentieth. It will give you some time to relax after the last day of term and you will still have the next day to pack?"

"Are you certain Remus did not put you under the Imperius?"

Black laughed lightly, "I don't have the sudden urge to jump off the Tower Bridge into the Thames, so I'm fairly certain."

Black arose from his chair "I must ask you if I might speak to Dr. O'Conner before I leave. I'm afraid it is important.

Severus arose from the sofa. Black jumped when Severus abruptly called out, "Lucy!"

Black grimaced and put a finger in his ear, as if to stop the ringing.

Lucy leaned over the top railing and called back, "Severus. How's a woman supposed to make her list and check it twice if you interrupt her like that?"

"If you can spare a moment, Mother Christmas, Black would like to have a word with you."

"Oh?" Lucy said curiously. "My favourite colour is buttercup yellow. But if I wear it, it bleaches me out. I might as well throw on an Invisibility Cloak."

Black seemed to find it unexpected and amusing that Severus and Lucy could just so readily yell out their conversations to one another like banshees from across their home. He shook his head in disbelief and said, "I'll keep that in mind. But I'm afraid this involves a rather unpleasant topic. Your ex-fiancé...have you heard from him, Dr. O'Conner?"

Lucy's eyes narrowed as she looked down from above. "I can't say that I have, Mr. Black," she said soberly as she descended the stairs, one hand on the railing, and the other on her belly to keep her balance. "I sent him an owl two days ago, informing him of the wedding. If he replies, it should be any day. Why do you ask?" Severus offered his hand to Lucy and she joined him at the foot of the stairs.

"Something doesn't seem right to me," Black explained. "Last week, I sent a letter to Musgrave in Azkaban...essentially asking what his plans were for Severus. The more I thought about it...the more I think he was ambivalent as to whether Harry was hurt in my hunt for you."

Lucy asked, "What did he say?"

Black shrugged and stuck his hands in his jean pockets. "Nothing. The post was returned stating that Kenneth was still under suicide watch and could not receive posts."

Lucy's brow creased in confusion. "That doesn't make any sense. It's been three weeks. Shouldn't they transfer him to St. Mungo's security ward?"

"Not only that," Black continued, "They usually encourage inmates under suicide watch to read their posts. Packages are sent through security screens, but special owls deliver posts to the prison, and letters usually go directly to the recipient."

Severus suggested, "Perhaps they put a ban on your posts. You are after all, an escapee."

"I thought along those same lines myself," said Black. "Then it occurred to that they said posts—not my posts. The only other reason I can think for Kenneth not to receive his mail...is that he is not there to receive it."

Lucy shook her head, not believing what she was hearing. "No. Kenneth has no next of kin. Although he is in prison for trying to kill the baby, I'm still the mother of his child and his intended victim. If he succeeded in killing himself...or died in some other fashion...I would have been notified."

Black looked as if his stomach had turned. "I don't think he's dead."

Black did not need to elaborate any further. Severus knew exactly what he was trying to say. "Escape."

Lucy turned to Severus. She was unable to hide the fear in her eyes as she put a hand protectively over the baby. "But they told Uncle Albus that they would send somebody in to find out his Animagus. What about the wards?"

Black said regrettably, "It's possible that he escaped before then."

Severus pulled Lucy close against his side and asked, "How can we find out? Along with his lawyer, Lucy is the only person they cannot deny access to Musgrave. But she cannot go anywhere near the island."

Black said slyly, "There is one way we can find out, Snape. What are your plans for midnight on the first?"

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you, once again to my wonderful beta, Tambra.

And thank you to all of you who are reading my little yarn, especially those who have taken the time to review. It means a lot.

~Missyann