Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A Night Out

***20 December, 1986***

"What's taking Mummy so long?" Harry asked as he preceded Severus into his small bedroom.

"It takes women a bit longer to get ready with all their poof and paint and accoutrements." Lucy had began her preperations over three hours before they did, and she still was not ready.

"I heard that," said Lucy's disembodied voice from across the hall.

All had been quiet in the nearly three weeks since they had learned of Musgrave's escape and Severus still refused to let down his guard. Every day, he would escort Lucy to her classroom after breakfast, meet her at lunch and escort her to the Great Hall and back and at the end of the day, she would Floo back to their quarters from her office, because frankly, by the end of the day she was too tired to walk halfway across the castle.

They spent most of their free time together unless Lucy was in her office or scriptorium. At those times, Severus insisted that Lucy keep the Voodoo doll, which had finally arrived from her old flat mate, with her just in case.

Severus swallowed hard when he realised that the primitive looking doll was anatomically correct. Lucy had snickered when she saw Severus' reaction to the phallus that resembled a third leg and two tiny red puff-balls (for lack of a better description) to represent Musgrave's bollocks. "Kenneth could only wish in his wildest dreams that the proportions were accurate," Lucy laughingly commented.

Lucy had groused that Severus was being an overprotective mother hen, and that she always carried her wand with her, but she complied nonetheless. Severus knew that she only did it to keep from hearing him harp on about the matter but he did not care as long as she kept that doll with her when she was alone.

From what Severus had read on the subject, there was no wand protection or counter wand magic that could protect against a curse cast via Voodoo doll and the more protection Lucy had against an attack from Musgrave was all the better. When Lucy decided to take Harry Christmas shopping earlier that week, Severus decided they needed a more protection in London than a four inch doll.

Lupin had 'coincidentally' bumped into Lucy and Harry in Diagon Alley and joined them in their shopping. Severus was aware that Lucy and Harry would be shopping for him, so protecting them personally was out. Remus and Aberforth where the only others who Severus would trust with the task. Aberforth had a business to run, but Remus was more than willing to accompany Lucy and Harry on their errands. Severus hated the subterfuge, but it did not matter as long as his family was safe.

Now that the term had finally come to an end, they only had one more obligation to meet before they left for the United States—an evening with Sirius Black.

Severus was actually surprised to find out about the whole formality of the evening. Being that this was the last night of the Season, the formality could hardly be avoided. Yes...The Nutcracker is a children's ballet, but Severus wished that Black would have chosen the less formal afternoon matinee. Not to mention, he had no doubt that Black would supply Harry with sweets when they returned to Black's flat after the performance where Harry would unwrap his gifts from his godfather.

Severus lamented that he and Lucy were in for a long night with a six year old child who would be bouncing off the walls well into the wee hours of the morning, between his sugar rush and the excitement over his new toys.

Perhaps this invitation tonight was not an overture for reconciliation from Black. Perhaps it was Black's elaborate plot for revenge.

Severus half turned towards his room and raised an eyebrow. Harry giggled as he dragged the round wooden stool that normally resided in the corner, to the front of a tall standing mirror.

Harry had managed his trousers and shirt by himself, but Severus was going to have to help the boy finish readying for the evening and the boy stood on the chair to await Severus' help with his tie and waistcoat.

With the exception of his dinner jacket and his cloak, Severus was already in his evening attire. He was helping his son into an identical ensemble.

"Do we have to wear this, Daddy?" Harry whined as he stretched his neck up for his daddy. He was desperately trying not to squirm as Severus fastened the top button of the stiff, high collar.

"I'm afraid so, Harry. Tuxedos are what are commonly referred to as a 'necessary evil'...Keep your chin up, Harry," he calmly said as Harry's head turned to watch his Daddy pick up the black silk tie from the burrow. Harry immediately complied as Severus began to tie a bow under the upturned chin.

"Not that I don't agree with you," Severus continued. "I am under the belief that whoever designed these monstrosities had a rather lucrative career as a professional torturer before they stumbled into fashion design."

"Severus, you wear a waistcoat and cravat every day under a heavy frockcoat. How can dress robes possibly be more uncomfortable?" Lucy's dry tone brought a small smile to Severus' lips as she entered the doorway, stockings in hand.

Harry giggled again, this time at Lucy's honest assessment of Severus. The little boy's giggles abruptly stopped when Severus favoured him with a mock scowl that was closer to a smirk, but the mirth never left Harry's eyes.

Severus honestly could not explain why he found dress robes to be far more uncomfortable than his own conservative attire. Perhaps it was the idea that he was effectively being 'forced' to wear a tuxedo. It was his moral obligation to complain on behalf of men everywhere.

"Why do we have to wear them?"

"Because we are attending a ballet and not a Stones concert. Ballets tend to be overly stuffy and one is expected to wear attire that is suitably uncomfortable for the occasion."

"What's a Stones concert?"

Severus glanced down at his son and gave a rather undignified snort.

From across the hall, Severus heard Lucy amused voice call out again, "Severus, I've seen your album collection and I happen to know you enjoy classical music just as much as you do The Stones. Stop giving Harry the wrong ideas."

Severus scowled. He would like to say that, yes—he did enjoy classical music, but he did not enjoy seeing grown men and women prancing about on stage as if they had a wand stuck up their arse. Taking the osmotic verbal skills of his present company into consideration, Severus thought he best keep that bit of commentary to himself.

He did, however, lean over and whisper into Harry's ear, "And people compare me to a bat. I think your mummy could hear a mouse eat cheese on the far end of the castle."

Harry whispered conspiratorially back into Severus' ear, "I think it's a mummy thing. Mrs. Weasley can hear us way downstairs—even when we're in Ron's room."

The corner of Severus' mouth twitched as he looked down at Harry and attempted to keep from laughing outright. He was still trying to hold back his smile as he folded Harry's stiff collar around his bow tie.

Harry's eyes glanced at his open door, and then he quickly turned his head, making Severus lose his grasp on the boys' collar. Severus was about to admonish Harry for squirming but the words fell short on his lips when he saw Harry's eyes widen and his son whispered a reverent, "Wow."

Severus turned, and only one word came to mind when he drank in the vision in the doorway...Wow.

A faint blush came to Lucy's cheeks as if she could read Severus' mind.

She wore a black satin strapless evening dress that flowed just below her knees. Severus could not help but to notice how her low black pumps accentuated the subtle shape of her silken legs. Over her dress she wore an opera coat with attached sleeves that also came to her knees. It was made from a black opaque fabric that sparkled from the interwoven silver lamè. The overall effect looked as if she wore gossamer veils made of the night sky.

Her honey coloured hair was pulled back and in a complicated pattern of braids that were held in a black net snood at the nape of her neck. A becoming arrangement that showed her lovely neck, a part of her that Severus particularly enjoyed, to great effect.

Noticing how she favoured her grandmother's triple string pearl necklace and matching dangling single pearl earrings over the diamonds that Musgrave given her last year made Severus smile inside. It had put a fear to rest. On her wrist was a pearl bracelet with one pearl replaced by a sphere of equal size, festooned with tiny diamonds.

When she walked over to Severus to straighten his tie he noticed Lucy had even done something different to her finger nails. Lucy usually cut them very short so they would not interfere with her quill work. More often than not, they were stained with whatever pigment she happened to use on her manuscripts that evening. Tonight they were longer by a half a centimetre. She had not painted them but they were buffed to the point that they shone like glass.

Severus debated whether or not to give her the ring that he bought her now, as she left her hands free of any adornment. He longed to see his ring on her finger.

"I take it from your dazed reactions that it was worth all the poof, paint, and accoutrements?"

When she finished adjusting his tie, Severus bent over a placed a kiss on her soft cheek. "You look lovely tonight, my dear."

She looked up him in feigned offence. "Tonight?"

"You look lovely all the time, Mummy," Harry chimed in. "It's just you look a different kind of lovely tonight."

Severus was proud of Harry's diplomatic answer. As he summoned his dinner jacket and cloak from his room whilst Lucy finished getting Harry ready, he said as much. "That was a very Slytherin answer Harry, and a very true observation."

Lucy smiled as she fastened Harry's cloak around his neck, "From the way your daddy is sticking his chest out like a rooster in a hen house, I think safe to say you just made him very proud, Harry."

Severus hadn't been aware that he was being so demonstrative, but he could not help himself. He was proud of his son and of Lucy. He did have a handsome family. Harry was emulating Severus more and more everyday and the woman who was his wife in every way but name was intelligent and beautiful and for reasons still completely mysterious to Severus, she loved him beyond measure.

The love and respect Lucy and Harry had for him shone in their eyes and practically radiated out of their pores every day. Any fool could see and feel it...even Severus.

His dreams of such a life for himself had once died. He still did not believe he was worthy of such blessings, but he would dedicate the rest of his life to try to live up to such pulchritude.

***9:53 p.m.***

All in all, the night wasn't the unmitigated disaster that Severus was certain it would be. Severus wasn't sure if that made matters better or worse. At this very moment, Black was the floor with Harry, both having long ago shed their waistcoats and ties, playing a game that involved dice and duelling dragons. Harry seemed to be having the time of his life with his godfather, to Severus' dismay.

All of the roaring and the flashing lights from the magical flames, however, was giving Severus a searing headache. It would not have been quite so bad if Black had limited Harry's gifts to the animated colouring books and the full collector's edition of The Tales of Beedle the Bard. Severus was somewhat relieved that Black had thought to gift at least one book.

Black declared that he had five years of Christmases to make up for. He had festooned his new flat with wreaths, garnet and gold candles, and the largest and most elaborate Christmas tree he could find. He had already given Harry a table top Quidditch set, a working replica of the Hogwarts Express that was charmed to enlarge so a child could actually ride it, and there was still one box unopened.

The evening would not be half so tedious if Black wouldn't insist that Harry 'try' each new toy as soon as the boy ripped it out of its packaging.

Severus was certain he did not want to know what was in that red and gold wrapped box, as something was shaking and snarling in its efforts to release itself. The box was nearly the size of Harry. The smallest and most elaborately wrapped package looked as if it might be another book. Black had declared that gift to be 'special' and therefore, to be opened last.

Severus was also quietly thankful that they would be far from Britain come Christmas morning. The mournful wails of children were bound to be heard up and the countryside as Severus had no doubt that Black had bought out the whole of Honeydukes for Harry and there would be no sweets to be had.

Severus expected Harry to be bouncing off the walls when they returned home, despite the fact that he had to play the ogre and limit Harry to one lolly despite vehement protests from both Harry and Black. Lucy finally stepped in and admonished Black when Severus had to warn Harry of the consequences of not listening to his parents. "Mr. Black, are you trying to get Harry in trouble?"

Severus and Lucy would be lucky to get the child to sleep before Christmas.

From the moment they Portkeyed to the restaurant were Black and Remus met them for supper before the ballet, Severus was ready to get the bloody night over with. There had only been one bright spot to their restaurant experience.

***5:28p.m.***

The Portkey that Black had provided deposited Severus and his family outside one of the most exclusive restaurants in Wizarding London, a place he was certain would not be entirely welcoming to children.

At least for that night, he was proven wrong on two points. Because the school term had ended and it was the last night of the ballet, there were quite a few children from elite wizarding families amongst the clientele. That had gone to alleviating Severus' fears, somewhat. But Lucy had to keep him from walking out the door, despite her own anger, when the maitre'd came to escort them to their table.

Severus vaguely recognised the man from his days as a student. The supercilious host did not immediately recognise Severus...but he recognised the name on the reservations list.

Severus held Harry. Lucy stood next to him with a hand resting on his free arm. He leaned to the host standing at the podium and said in a low tone so not to be over heard by the other patrons, "Snape, party of three...Sirius Black is expecting us."

Unfortunately, the man was up on the current news of the day, because by the way his professional persona instantly slipped and he put his hands over his mouth to keep from screaming like some deranged sycophant, he had recognised the name an its significance. He went from being pompous to outlandish in the course of a single breath.

"Severus Snape...I ca...I thought Siri...Mr. Black was only playing one of his practical jokes!" His eyes immediately cut to the boy in Severus' arms who was favouring him in turn with a curious look. "Then this must be Harry Potter!" He slapped his hands over his mouth as if he couldn't believe his own words.

Severus drew Harry closer to him when all at once it became dead silent throughout the restaurant as all eyes locked on Severus and his family. Damn, he should have thought to ask Black to put the reservation in Lucy's name.

Severus could feel Lucy tense from her anger, yet she pressed her hand tighter into his arm to keep him from storming out the door and making a bigger scene that was sure to create a sensational write-up for the Prophet the next day. "If you can please restrain from urinating on yourself with joy for the time being, Sir," Lucy hissed. "Could you quietly lead us to our party?"

The man finally remembered himself and at least resumed a thin facade of nonchalance. "Yes...," he managed with only a slight tremor in his voice. "I do apologise. But please let me add that this is a proud moment for Chez Enchanteur. Forgive me for being a bit...overwhelmed."

Severus would have rolled his eyes at the absurdity of it all, but as the maitre'd finally led them to the private dining room that Black thankfully had enough brains to request, he could hear the not-so-whispered conversations as they made their way to the back of the restaurant.

"...I can't believe it. It's really Harry Potter..."

"...Death Eater...Potter's must be rolling in their graves..."

"...a spy, Mum...professor is great with Harry..."

"...his wife?"

"...did not realise he was married...lovely girl..."

Severus nearly drew his wand when a cinnamon coloured hand touched his sleeve.

"Professor Snape, Sir?"

Severus' scowl instantly dropped when he was greeted by the confident smile of his former Quidditch captain, Gwenog Jones.

"Miss Jones, this is a pleasant surprise," he said honestly. Other than the Weasley boys, Miss Jones was the only other student Severus had ever trusted with Harry's safety. Harry was heartbroken when she left Hogwarts the previous June.

"Gwen!" Harry squirmed for Severus to release him. Severus let his boy down and Harry took her hand.

"It's good to see you too, Imp," she said cheerfully. "I know you miss me?" She walked hand and hand with Harry along with Severus and Lucy to their private room.

Miss Jones' dark eyes reflected genuine warmth for her former Head of House and deep affection for his adopted son. "You and Harry both look well, Professor."

"As do you...Oh, pardon my rudeness. Miss Jones, my fiancé, Dr. Lucile O'Conner."

Lucy extended her and Miss Jones shook it with her free one. Miss Jones gave him a quick quizzical glance concerning Lucy's obvious condition, but she had the tact not to ask that which was none of her business. "It's lovely to meet you Miss Jones. Didn't I just read in the Prophet that you've been recruited into the Holyhead Harpies?"

"Naturally," Jones said as if there were no other alternative. "And congratulations to you both, Dr. O'Conner. You be good to the professor. The girls in our year always thought whoever managed to snatch him would be one damn lucky girl."

Severus could feel his face warm as he wondered exactly how often he was the topic of adolescent female conversation. He certainly could not imagine any favourable comments, even from his own House.

"I couldn't agree with you more, Miss Jones..."

"Please, call me Gwen."

Lucy reciprocated Miss Jones' request for familiarity. His former student gave him a nervous glance, perhaps wondering if she had overstepped her bounds. Severus favoured Jones with the slightest of nods, indicating his approval. It wasn't as if Lucy needed Severus' approval for whom she chose to befriend, however it was apparent that Miss Jones sought the approval of her former Head of House.

They had already reached the door of the private dining room as the women chatted on and were out of earshot of most of the restaurant patrons. However, the maitre'd was being a bit too patient for Severus' liking and was paying far too close attention to their conversation.

Severus interrupted and offered, "Miss Jones, would you care to join our party?"

"Please, Gwen," Harry pleaded. He had been hanging on every word of their conversation. "You can explain to Mummy all about Quidditch. She might be more interested if a girl told her."

Damn it! The meddlesome maitre'd looked as if he were about to drool from that pronouncement. Severus had no doubt that news of his relationship, erroneous or otherwise, would be plastered on the front page of the Prophet in the morning.

Miss Jones, smiled brightly at Harry then looked at Lucy. She obviously wanted to ask more but had far better manners than the maitre'd. "I'm sorry, Professor, but my parents are waiting for me."

"Severus... perhaps we can invite Miss Jo...Gwen... to the house for dinner after the Holidays?"

Lucy had obviously taken an instant liking to Miss Jones. Severus had no illusions that the reason being was because the girl thought so highly of him and Harry.

"Please, Daddy."

"Don't beg, Harry," Severus gently admonished before he added, "Of course, I would be delighted if Miss Jones could join us one evening."

"I'll send you a list of dates I'm available, then send me an owl." Jones looked down at Harry and gave him a wink. "It was good to see you again, Imp. It was wonderful to meet you Dr. O'C...Lucy... and congratulations again to you both," She pointedly indicated Lucy's belly with her eyes before she walked off.

Dinner had been relatively uneventful. Though loathe he was to admit it, Severus did feel a bit...uncertain of himself by the end of the meal.

After the toast to Remus for his success, Black had focused most of his attention on Harry for the remainder of the evening.

They sat together at a round, elegantly set table with enough silver service to refinance Gringott's should the bank ever lose its solvency. Harry sat between Severus and Black. At first, Harry's head and shoulders were barely above the table's edge as the obstinate child adamantly refused a booster chair offered by the maitre'd. (He was a 'big boy', after all) Instead, Severus levitated Harry's chair to the table as he would often do at home. Harry found levitation much more acceptable because it was 'just like flying.' Lucy sat to Severus' left and Remus between her and Black.

Lucy and Remus had attempted to include Severus in their in-depth discussions about the upcoming ballet, but after they received a half dozen disinterested grunts from Severus in answer to their queries, the friends knew a lost cause when they saw one and for the moment, left Severus to his brooding.

Initially, it struck Severus as a bit out of character and ironic that Black had chosen such a posh establishment. Frankly, Severus had not seen Black as the foie gras/escargot type and he had to hide his utter amazement as Black effortlessly played host. Severus could only assume Black was speaking flawless French from the reaction of the waiter and the sommelier, as he asked about the Chef's amuse-bouche. From where did Black develop such a sense of savoir- faire? Severus was certain that if Black really chose to do so, Black could rival Lucius in that department.

As Black encouraged Harry to try the tapenade, it occurred to Severus that Black would feel at ease surrounded by the trappings of wealth. After all, though Black despised his family's politics and bigoted thinking, he would be accustomed to a privileged lifestyle. Growing up as the scion of the Black family he would have been rigorously tutored in his youth of the strictures that are part of elite convention.

Even after Black broke his familial ties, the Potters were also an old family tied to old money. Even in his self-imposed familial exile, Black would have been taken part in a privileged existence. A sizable inheritance from a rebellious uncle only helped to ensure that Black could maintain his lifestyle-at least until he landed himself in Azkaban.

Severus was aware of pure-blood etiquette. Between Lily, who had often read aloud her mind-numbing Jane Austin novels and a mother who wished to pass on a semblance of her once aristocratic life to her only son, Severus too, knew the difference between a salad fork and a fish fork.

But Severus had never taken to such niceties. Such social minutiae were frivolous. Before the arrival of Harry, Severus was content with living with only the barest if necessities...or so he told himself.

But a nagging voice reminded Severus that if all had been as it should have been, and Lily and Potter had lived to see the end of the war, Harry would most likely be accustomed to dress robes, bow ties, fine food, expensive toys, and children's ballets. Such was the world of his father, and James Potter would have seen to it that Harry was moulded in his image in more ways than their visage.

Harry's play circles would have included the children of politically and socially powerful families like the Longbottoms and Macmillians. For the first time in quite a while, Severus felt inadequate to the task of raising Harry. Black had the means to provide Harry with luxuries Severus could only dream to. Would Potter be happy with the way Severus was raising his son?

Severus and Lucy were by no means impoverished and the children would never be in want of adequate food, clothing, and shelter. But neither would they have the means to afford the best of everything for Harry in a manner in which Potter and Lily could have, and would have done.

But Severus would provide the best he could to Harry, as he would for all of his children. As cliché as it would sound to the ears of others, Harry would never be in want of love. There was not enough gold in Gringott's to put a value on Severus' love for his adopted son.

Lucy gave Severus' arm a gentle squeeze, but it was enough to make him feel as if he were violently stirred from his musings. "Severus, stop it," she leaned to him and whispered gently into his ear, as if she could hear his mental self-flagellation.

He exhaled softly and looked into Lucy's eyes and seeing an understanding that he had not experienced with many before she came along. She said softly, "Let them have their time, Severus. You will still be Daddy when we get home."


The ballet had been a near disaster. Fortunately, they had box seats with a charm that kept their conversations private, courtesy once again of Black's late uncle, or else the entire fiasco would have ended up in the morning Prophet.

Harry was too excited to stay seated in one place and he often ran up the balcony railing rather than listen to Black and Remus try to explain the story. Severus had to finally put his foot down at Harry's antics and plopped the child in his lap in order to keep him from jumping onstage and joining the fight between the Nutcracker and the Mouse King.

It wasn't until the second act that Severus had noticed a change in Harry. The child became still and enraptured by the music and dance, but there was...something. Harry's forehead had furrowed in deep concentration, as if he noticed something for the first time and his gaze was absolutely fixed upon the Prince. If Severus did not know better, he would say that the boy was nauseated.

Severus wasn't the only adult to notice a change in Harry. "Harry. Are you alright?" Black leaned forward and asked.

"I'm okay," Harry replied, yet sounding to the contrary. "I was just wondering about the dancer."

"What did you want to know, Harry?" Lupin helpfully asked. "I can tell you almost anything you want about this ballet."

"Doesn't that hurt?"

"What hurts? His jumps? No, Harry. He practices a l..."

"No, not that," Harry said irritably. "That!" Harry clarified what he meant by pointing directly at the male leads...manhood. Before Severus could put a restraining hand over Harry's words, he managed to blurt out, "Just look at him. His trousers are too tight. You can even see his bol... Hey!"

Severus startled Harry into not finishing his words as he clasped a hand over Harry's eyes.

"Black!" Severus barked as turned and glared at their host as if the cur had dared to corrupt his son with ballet. "Care to explain?" Severus had already had that talk with Harry once and didn't think he could bare to have that discussion again until Harry was...oh...say...fifty?

Black looked as if he were ready to bolt out the door and Remus had flushed to such a shade of red, he was nearly camouflaged against the brothel red seats. Lucy was doing an appalling job at hiding her mirth. She had her hands covering her own mouth and she was shaking violently with pent up laughter and her blue eyes were beginning to water.

Black held up hands in hope that Severus would not hex an unarmed man. "I'm sorry, Snape. But I have no knowledge of men's dance apparel." Black looked to Remus.

Though he looked scared witless, Remus replied in all earnestness, "Don't look at me. I've never been backstage. Especially with the male dancers."

Harry piqued in, still not sure what all the fuss was about. "Daddy, I can't see."

Lucy admonished Severus in her amusement, "Severus, let Harry go."

She said to all of the men, "Cowards," then held out her arms for Harry. "Come here, baby." Severus let go of Harry and his son shot him a glare in what Lucy had euphemistically called, 'The Stink-Eye,' before he walked over to Lucy. She grunted as she picked him up and placed him on her knee.

"First Harry, it is not nice to point at another person's..." Lucy looked to each of the men and grinned, "...bits..., especially in polite company. That said, my friend Chris was a dancer and he told me about something he had to wear called a dance belt..."

Severus noticed that he was not the only man who kept his legs crossed as Lucy nonchalantly explained how a men's dance belt functioned and Harry calmly listened as if she were explaining how to don his socks.

Later Lucy would explain, "Severus, my parents explained the human body and the birds and bees as easily as explaining...well... the birds and bees. It is best to explain the simple things to him now when he is uninhibited. He will only find talking about the human body awkward and embarrassing if we do."

Severus was grateful that Lucy had been up to the task of explaining the naughty bits. He thought he might let the incident be a precedent.

***11:51 p.m.***

Despite Severus' fears, Harry had finally run out of steam.

It was almost midnight when all the gifts had been exchanged and Harry had fallen asleep leaning back against Severus' chest, clutching the photo album that Black and Remus had assembled for Harry in one hand and a stuffed, purring Gryffindor lion tucked under his opposite arm.

The album was essentially a baby portfolio filled with Harry's infant photographs, almost every photo featured either Lily, Potter, or both, lovingly doting over their precious child. Harry had especially wanted to share this particular treasure with his daddy.

Severus gently slid the album from his sleeping son's grasp and passed it to Lucy for safe keeping. "Black, Remus...this... was a kind gesture. Thank you."

He could not help but feel a pang of regret when he looked over the photos of a happy and cherubic Harry with his son and Lucy. He had missed so much of Harry's life. Had Severus known of his unusual connection with Lily's son, no doubt Albus would have seen Harry with Severus the very night of Lily's and Potter's tragic death, or had he come to his senses years ago, as a godfather he may have had a role in the infant Harry's life. Severus could not help but to envy Black and Remus.

Black had one hand on the back of his cordovan suede sofa, nursing a glass of red wine. "We knew you have few baby pictures of Harry. It's important that Harry have them. Besides, we kept the ones of Harry with us."

Remus added, "And these portraits you had made are priceless."

Lucy had commissioned a magical charcoal rendering of Harry sitting in the floor at Spinner's End, holding Lucy's rabbit and trying to entice it to eat a carrot. It was originally created exclusively for Remus, but once Black entered into the scene, she had a copy created for Harry's godfather as well. Harry had painted the frames with images of his favourite things—snitches, brooms, and bunny rabbits. And Severus charmed the figures to move. Black had already put his in a place of honour atop his mantle.

Remus gifted Severus and Lucy with season tickets to the Philharmonic. They were not box seats, but they were good seats nonetheless. Severus was aware that despite the discount Remus had received, the tickets must have cost him dearly. It obviously meant a great deal to Remus that Severus and Lucy attend his concerts.

Black had given them a bottle of fine wine. Severus thought it would be nice to enjoy on their honeymoon. Black had offered to take Harry for the two week holiday Severus and Lucy were planning for after the wedding. Arrangements had already been made for Harry to spend that time with his new grandparents, but as long as Black continued to prove himself as trustworthy, Severus could not see why something couldn't be arranged for the mutt come summertime.

Severus slowly arose, keeping Harry and his new toy close so not to awaken the boy. Lucy and Remus were collecting toys and shrinking them to fit into a tote.

Black came around from the back of his sofa and faced Severus. "I'd shake your hand, Snape, but you are otherwise occupied."

Black put his hand gently to Harry's forehead and brushed back the boy's sweaty fringe. Harry stirred slightly, as if by instinct, when Blacks thumb scarcely grazed his scar. Black jerkily pulled back his hand, and Harry settled again. He said tightly, "I have to thank you Snape for giving me this time with Harry. I haven't had a Christmas since James and Lily..." the words seemed to have caught in Black's throat. Severus wasn't certain he could bear to hear them himself.

"If Harry were awake, I assure you he would thank you. It was all a new experience for him and I can tell he enjoyed himself."

"What are you doing for Christmas, Mr. Black?" Oh no. The night may not have been total chaos, but one Christmas with Black was enough for Severus. He would like to say he would but his foot down if Lucy invited Black to Charleston, but he couldn't. It was her home after all. She could invite whom she bloody well pleased.

"Lucy, I'm certain Black has made his own arrangements for the Holidays." Severus was certain of no such thing. But he was certain that Black was not coming with them...if he could at all help it. Once again, Remus came to his rescue.

"Sirius is joining me with my family in France," Remus told Lucy. "We're spending Boxing Day with the Weasleys and New Years with Aberforth."

Remus had confided in Severus that he and Black had not managed to totally repair their friendship yet, though they were trying. Black was in need of friends, and whilst Remus still felt resentful over what Black and Potter had done, his heart was too noble to completely cast Black to the wayside.

Lucy expressed her thanks that the men were spending some time with her grandfather during the Holidays. She was going to suggest that if Black had no plans, that he might want to pop in on Aberforth Christmas day. She had practically begged Aberforth to come spend Christmas with his family, but the old wizard had remained stubborn. He would not leave Britain. Lucy thought perhaps he refused to leave her grandmother's grave, but Aberforth had mysteriously implied that he had other plans and they would spend next Christmas together.

"Thank you, Alf," Lucy said only slightly assured. "I can't help but feel a bit guilty about leaving him. But I had promised that I would come home this Christmas before I even moved to England."

"Don't worry, Lucy. We'll make sure Abe doesn't spend the Holiday alone. And it's not as if the old man isn't capable of making up his own mind."

Black interjected, "Besides, you can't deny Harry a Christmas with his new extended family. Not even I can compete with that."

If only Black knew how nervous Harry had been about meeting these new aunts, uncles, and cousins. Harry's experience with his own extended family had left him understandably anxious. That fear was put at least partially to rest when Lucy reminded Harry that he had already met her brother Allen and he would be one of Harry's new uncles and he was very nice. Harry had agreed, and supposed if the rest of his uncles and aunts were like Allen, that would be okay.

But even more concerning to Harry was Father Christmas. "Does he even go to America?" Severus assured Harry that he had personally written to Father Christmas to let him know that Harry would be in Charleston for Christmas, and to deliver his presents to the Ashley House.

Remus had been the first to go home. Black placed a hand on Severus' arm as he carried Harry to join Lucy in the Floo. "Snape...I..."

"Yes?" Severus' reaction had come out sharper than he intended. "I apologise. I did not mean to snap. It has simply been a long night."

"I understand," there was a hint of melancholy in Black's tone. "It has been a long night and you have a long day tomorrow. It can wait."

Severus nodded and stepped into the Floo with Lucy, who had been very patient in Severus' opinion. Severus put his free arm around her. Seeing Black standing alone in the opulence of his new flat, Severus couldn't understand why he ever felt envious of the wizard. For the first time in his life, Severus truly felt sympathy for Black and the life that he had lost. Though Black had his money and the material trappings that came with it, he had precious little else.

It was Severus who had the things that truly mattered, a family, home, and friends. It was more likely than not, Black was jealous of Severus. Once upon a time, when Severus was a lesser man, he would have revelled in that irony and thrown it back into Black's face. But now, the only thing Severus could think to say was, "Happy Christmas," and he meant it.

Lucy said sincerely, "Merry Christmas, Mr. Black," as she took the offered Floo powder from Black.

Black stepped back and raised his hand in a half wave "Happy Christmas."


The dark room flashed green and with his free hand, Severus escorted Lucy out of the Floo at Spinner's End. They were leaving from the Manchester home the following afternoon because in an unprecedented show of fraternal solidarity, Albus and Aberforth would have a special Christmas surprise awaiting Harry when they returned from the States.

Severus needed to allow them access to the house while he was away. He would take care of the spells with Albus, whilst Lucy and Harry were delivering Thor to Aberforth's care. They decided to keep the gift secret from Lucy as well. Just knowing that her Pawpaw and uncle had acted together would be a Christmas present in itself, as far as she was concerned.

Lucy lit the low light on a nearby floor lamp and Severus made his way to the stairs.

She walked over to the small writing table in the corner where a envelope marked from the Ministry lay. It was addressed to Lucy. "It looks like the owls already know we're here. It must have come through the Floo," she said quietly.

"I'll put Harry to bed and be right down."

Ten minutes later, Severus came back down to find Lucy sitting in the chair in front of the desk. Her head hung low, one hand rested on her belly, the other clutched tightly to the crumpled parchment. "If something smells funny it's this letter. It's nothing but bullshit."

Severus knew the letter's subject. "Musgrave."

Lucy nodded wearily, but her lips were pursed tight in an effort to keep her anger in check. Rather than say anything, Lucy simply handed the abused missive to Severus. He unfolded it, already angry for his fiancé before he silently read the words:

Dr. O'Conner,

In light of the fact you are carrying the child of Kenneth Musgrave, a.k.a. Prisoner 321, and are therefore considered the representative of Next-of –Kin, we are obligated to inform you of the release of said prisoner.

As you have previously been made aware, Mr. Musgrave has an extreme sensitivity to Dementor exposure in which every known remedy has failed to adequately treat. The Ministry has reviewed his case and due to the fact his offence is in fact victimless, for reasons humanitarian, his sentence is hereby commuted.

If Mr. Musgrave should once again threaten you or your child, he will be returned to Azkaban to serve the entirety of his sentence.

If you have any queries, please feel free to owl me.

Sincerely,
Anton J. Dorken
Warden, Azkaban Prison

Lucy was right—it was bullshit. Musgrave had escaped, and since too many questions were being asked, the Ministry had covered their arses.

"Uncle Albus' inquiry last week was probably the final straw," Lucy said knowingly. "They can't say he killed himself. If he came knocking on my door tomorrow, heads would roll and they know it. Well...at least we know for sure. Kenneth is out there somewhere."

There was no definitive proof of Musgrave's escape. Severus' use of Veritasirum to obtain the truth was illegal and enough to land him into Musgrave's empty cell. The Ministry had managed to tie up their loose ends and present them to Lucy in a neat little Christmas bow.

Severus wanted to tear the letter into so many pieces and burn it, but they may need it for evidence later. Ironically, Lucy would be safer if Musgrave knew he was a free man. He would be more likely to come out of hiding to take advantage of his resources. If Musgrave knew is accounts were released and he could contact his friends like Malfoy with no fear of reprisal, he would be far easier to track. But as it was Musgrave was on the run, dangerous, and the Ministry had washed their hands of him.

Severus' heart raced as quickly as his mind. How much had Black inadvertently told Musgrave? Severus had once thought his home untraceable. Black had proven him wrong.

Lily's Blood Wards may protect them all from the Dark Lord and his minions. However, Musgrave was neither the Dark Lord nor a Death Eater and at the moment he was a far greater threat.

Severus tossed the crumpled missive on the desk and rushed to the Floo.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm doing something I should have done long ago. I'm contacting Albus and your grandfather. This house is going under a Fidelius—tonight!"

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks go out to my awesome beta, tambrathegreat, for her help and encouragement.

Please remember to review. Writers put so much into their stories and your reviews keep us going. Not to mention it took six atempts before this boody chapter posted! If there are any mistakes its because I became flabbergasted.

TTFN
~Missyann