Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Life Begins Again

***11 January, 1987***

The day was glaringly bright.

Too bright and sunny for a funeral. Though the biting cold more than made up for it. The bare yew trees that were dotted between the headstones in varying states of decay gave a sense of surrealism against the glassy blue sky.

Daniel stood at the head of the small grave dressed in the vestments of his office. He was having difficulty delivering the eulogy. Severus and Harry stood together. Harry held two small bouquets of flowers, Severus held three. They were surrounded by a small gathering of family and friends.

The booming bass of Lucy's brother's voice was unexpectedly soft. It trembled slightly as he recited the Anglican Rites. "Merciful Father, whose wisdom is beyond understanding. Deal graciously with Lucille, Severus, and Harry in their grief. Surround them with your love, that they be not overwhelmed by their loss…"

Severus tuned out of his brother-in-law's eulogy as Harry buried his head into Severus' thigh. Severus looked down at him from where they stood next to the grave and put his hand on Harry's shoulder. He drew his son closer in an effort to extend a little of his strength to Harry…and perhaps draw a little from the child himself.

Immediately surrounding Severus and Harry were Aberforth, Albus, Richard, Theresa, and Richard Jr.. Allen was at Spinner's End, helping to prepare the house for Lucy's return whilst Esther discussed Lucy's long term care with the Healer. She would be coming home to continue her healing…for however long it would take. Lucy had begun to breathe on her own Friday. Out of the birthday gifts Severus had been given that day, it was the only one that meant anything to him.

The Healer had announced that it was now a matter of time and up to Lucy's willingness to survive. There was no determining how long Lucy would remain in her coma. With the exception of Esther, the extended family would have to return to the States the following Sunday whether Lucy woke or not. Esther had taken a leave of absence from her job at the hospital in Charleston to come to England to tend her daughter.

Thus, Lucy would have continuous professional care, and Severus was relieved to know that Lucy would be cared for by the one person in the world who held her as dear as he did. Severus could only pray that Lucy would awaken soon. Primarily, because he did not know how long he could keep his sanity, secondly, because Esther could only leave her job and family for six weeks. If Lucy wasn't awake by then, Severus would have to hire a private mediwitch, a prospect that did not please him at all. He would rather Lucy's care be in the hands of someone he knew and trusted than some uncaring professional.

Richard had been the most aloof of Lucy's relatives ever since they arrived. He claimed that he did not place blame on Severus for what had happened to his daughter, but Severus had his doubts. Richard had barely spoken a full sentence to Severus over the past two days.

Remus and Sirius…Severus fought the urge to grimace at his own mental use of his former enemy's name…stood just to the opposite side of Severus and Harry. Remus, in customary Gryffindor form wore his heart on his sleeve, and Severus could hear his soft sniffles. From the corner of his eye, Severus could just see Sirius. Black held himself with his head held high, his shoulders back, looking uncharacteristically stoic and determined. He knew that if he could see them, the look in his eyes would be enough to bring a shiver down Severus' spine. In all their years of rivalry Severus had never seen such a look Black's face, the same look he had worn with great frequency since Lucy had been taken. He was thankful that even Black had not hated him that much during their formative years. If the mutt had, perhaps Severus would have developed more than a healthy fear of the wizard.

Daniel's words broke into Severus' thoughts again, "Oh God, whose beloved Son took children into his arms and blessed them. Give us grace to entrust Felicity to your never failing care and love, and bring us all too your heavenly kingdom, through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever, Amen."

From habit ingrained almost as hard as a Pavlov reaction instilled in his childhood, Severus repeated "Amen," and crossed himself just as Lucy's family had-including Aberforth much to Severus' astonishment. Harry's red eyes had looked up at Severus through his glasses and messy fringe, and belatedly repeated the sign, though not knowing why.

The service over, Severus stepped forward towards the small coffin, gently urging Harry along. Severus knelt down on one knee and whispered into Harry's ear, "Go ahead, son."

Harry sniffed and nodded; his eyes fixed on the coffin and laid his two bouquets of white daises and forget-me-nots atop it. One bouquet was from Harry, the other from Lucy. Severus gently placed his flowers and rose heavily, his usual grace supplanted by the bone-deep weariness of mourning. He took Harry by the hand and placed his other bouquets on the graves of his grandmother and mother. Severus and Harry then stood together as family and friends filed by to pay their respects and offer well wishes and support for Lucy.

Remus and Sirius stopped. Sirius looked gravely at Severus and said, "I start now. Remus will join me when he can." Severus simply nodded in response. There needed to be no elaboration. Sirius would begin his hunt for the bastard, Musgrave.

Remus explained though he had no need to. "I have rehearsals three nights a week. Other than that, I will be with Sirius and keep you informed of any developments."

Severus did not watch as they walked away, he simply continued to numbly shake hands with people whose grave countenanced faces blended together after the first few paid their respects. In the distance, he heard the familiar, pop! of Disapparation.

Sirius and Remus had officially begun their hunt. Severus and Harry would go home to his mother-in-law and their own Sleeping Beauty.

***2:37 p.m. ***

Severus stepped out of the Floo in his sitting room at Spinners End. Allen was carrying a tray food up the stairs. He stopped and looked back when he heard the Floo come to life. "We just got her settled in," he said with a fatigued grating of his voice at the end of the statement. "I'm just bring'n somthin' up to Mama."

Just as Severus put Harry down, the boy shouted, "Mummy's home!"

The little boy pounded up the stairs, his shoes clattering noisily until he reached the thin carpet covering the steps.

"Harry!" Severus said tightly, trying not to raise his voice. "What are the rules about running in the house?"

"But Daddy…Mummy…"

"Is just upstairs and will be there when we get there!" Severus snapped. Harry looked immediately crestfallen; obviously uncertain as to what he had said or done to make Severus react so. He did not mean to take his frustration and fatigue out on Harry. Severus was just as anxious to see Lucy as Harry was and it wasn't Harry's running in the house that bothered him. Severus' nerves just couldn't stand the noise at that particular moment.

It was the reason he had declined his colleagues offer to hold a luncheon. It was enough that the O'Conners and the Dumbledores were coming over for dinner and to visit Lucy later that evening.

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose and breathed deeply in an effort to collect himself, "I apologise, Harry. I simply have a headache and need some quiet right now."

"I'm sorry too, Daddy," Harry said in sincere apology. "I'll be quiet."

"Where's Papa?" Allen asked awkwardly, changing the subject. Richard would be staying in the same guest room as Esther and he had not followed after Severus through the Floo.

"He stopped by the pub with your grandfather."

"Come on, squirt," Allen said with an easy smile to Harry as he continued his way up the stairs. "You can help me talk Grandma into eatin' somethin'. She hasn't eaten at all today."

"Would you like me to Floo for your father?" Severus suggested wearily. "Certainly he could…"

"No. It's not certain." Allen replied with a bit of dry humour. "If the situation were reversed I'd say you were right, Mama could make Papa eat. But when Mama gets focused on somethin' she forgets all else. She can get downright ornery sometimes. And in all honesty, Severus, I think it might be best to leave Papa be for now. He's not exactly takin' this well," Allen said sadly. "He had approved of Lucy and Ken's engagement when Mama had not. I think he's feelin' a bit guilty."

Severus could certainly relate to his future father-in-law's feelings of guilt. If it hadn't been for Harry, Severus was certain that he would have drowned himself in a bottle of firewhiskey days ago. He could certainly use a drink or ten right about now.

They walked down the long corridor that led to the master suite at the far end of the house. Severus had yet to become accustomed to his house being so large. He wondered once more exactly how many children did Aberforth and Albus expect him and Lucy to have.

The smell of flowers wafted down the corridor. They had been arriving from students and parents since that first horrible night. Once the word of the attack made the paper, the amount of flowers sent to Lucy rose exponentially. No longer was she the witch vying to replace Lily Potter. She was now the victim of a horrible mistake made by the Ministry, a Dumbledore and beloved by Harry Potter.

The outrage over the early release of a violent prisoner was bad enough, but the pictures of a crying and heartbroken six-year-old Harry Potter that had mysteriously made their way to the Prophet, was more than the Minister's fragile career could stand. There were cries for his resignation and rumours abounded that there would be an announcement soon. The details given in the articles were incomplete, only that Lucy had been Musgrave's former fiancé, not that he was the father of her lost child.

Kenneth Musgrave was now the most wanted man in Britain. The speculation was that he was a raven Animagus. The Aurors had found a black feather outside the window of Lucy's wall that contained a magical human signature. Hexes were flying at poor innocent birds from everywhere on the isle. Thankfully, other than a nasty shock, the hexes were relatively harmless on the non-magical birds. It was a good thing, otherwise one of the most common birds in Britain would be near extinction. The Department of the Care of Magical Creatures had extended its authority to protect the Tower Ravens.

Harry opened the door for Allen. The room rivalled Pomona's flower hot-house. Esther was sitting at the edge of the king-sized four posted bed. Lucy was dressed in her favourite nightshirt of Severus'. Esther had set her up in a seemingly more comfortable position. A hard lump came up into Severus' throat. Lucy looked as though her head were simply leaning against her pillow, sleeping peacefully. She looked as if she would wake at any moment. Perhaps he should have let Harry run like a stampeding Abraxon through the house... and maybe he would invite the Weasley children as well if Harry's racket did nothing. Surely the noise from the ensuing chaos would rouse some response from her.

Esther was braiding Lucy's hair whilst she spoke to her unresponsive daughter. "I must say, Baby Girl, you will find braids far more comfortable to sleep in than..."

Allen attempted to sound cheerful, but there was a hint of apprehension in his voice when he said, "Mama... Harry and I brought you somethin' for lunch."

Esther looked up and gave a weary smile, "Just set it there," she said uninterested in the food, indicating the side table on the opposite side of the bed- the table that closest to her was full of medicinal and nutritive potions for Lucy.

"Mama, you haven't eaten anything since last night."

Esther finished tying a bow at the end of Lucy's braid and said, "I'm fine, Allen. I'll eat when I'm ready."

Severus removed his outer cloak and laid it over the empty chair in front of Lucy's vanity table. "Esther, I know I'm not one to be lecturing you, but Allen is correct. Your magic will be of no good to Lucy if you don't maintain your energy." Though they looked simple, the charms it took to spell potions into an unconscious patient were highly specialised and Severus had no clue as to how to perform them himself. Lucy needed her mother's expertise if Lucy were to continue her recovery at home.

"I promise to eat later, boys," Esther assured, as she brushed her hand against Lucy's cheek and looked at her lovingly, "I'm simply not hungry at the moment."

"Mama, if you wait until you're hungry, you'll starve yourself to death."

Esther gave her youngest son a look that was intended to put him in his place. Harry came up and stood next to her, leaning against the bed and taking Lucy's hand. "Grandma, you were talking to Mummy. Can she hear you?"

Esther scooted over and made room for Harry to join her on the edge of the bed. "It's believed that the catatonic can sometimes hear what goes on about them," she said as Harry climbed up on the bed beside her and once again took Lucy's hand. "If she can hear us, it will give her all the more motivation to come back to us if we talk to her."

"Can I read to her?" Harry looked up to Severus hopefully. "Instead of you and Mummy reading to me before bedtime, I can read to her and she'll know all the new words I learned. Please, may I, Daddy?"

Severus sighed gustily and looked to his future mother-in-law. "Would it be too much of a bother to you?"

"Not at all," Esther warmly smiled to Harry. "In fact, I think Lucy would enjoy it very much."

Severus suggested, "Harry-why don't you go change into your play clothes and feed your rabbit. You may then bring a book back with you. You can read to Mummy a bit before tea."

"Brilliant!" Harry hopped down from the tall bed and began to run out the door. Severus no sooner opened his mouth to admonish Harry for running in the house again when the boy apparently remembered on his own and slowed himself to a quick walk. "Sorry, Daddy," he said, not sounding apologetic at all. Harry called back to Esther whilst exiting the room, "You better be eating when I get back, Grandma."

Severus lifted his brow at his son's impertinence. Esther chuckled deeply. Severus' heart nearly sank, for it was eerily similar to Lucy's laugh. "I suppose I can't ignore that ultimatum." With a wave of her wand, a small table and chair appeared next to Severus, and the food tray floated around the bed and settled itself gently on the table.

"Mother, I do apologise for Harry's cheek," Esther had insisted over the holidays that Severus call her "Mama," as her other children had. Severus could not bring himself to use the colloquialism, thus he and Esther had agreed to, 'Mother.' "It seems that I must have another discussion with him about respecting his elders."

"It's quite alright, Severus." Esther said as she took her chair at the small table. "Ya'll are right. I can't neglect myself. I suppose it just took a baby to set me straight."

"Now that you're taken care of, I think I'll go lay down for awhile myself." Allen said. His face was drawn. Severus could tell that the young man was weary from trying to get his mother to care for herself whilst consumed by his own worry for his sister.

"I'll let you know when everyone arrives for supper," Severus informed Allen.

Allen's shoulders sagged perceptibly as he said, "Thanks, Severus.'"

He closed the door quietly behind himself as he left, leaving Severus and Esther alone with Lucy.

Severus pulled up a chair between the bed and Esther's table. "Would you care to join me?" Esther asked. "I can conjure something for you if you like."

"No thank you," Severus said as he sat down and hitched his trousers at their knees. "Mother, I can't thank you enough. It means more than I can say to have Lucy at home rather than the hospital," he sighed.

"She's my baby, Severus. There's nothing to thank me for."

Severus understood. There was nothing he wouldn't do for Harry, no matter how old the boy was. Harry would always be his child.

Severus looked down at his feet. "I'm afraid Rich...Father, may find me somewhat more culpable than yourself," he said. Every fibre of his core ached.

Esther put down her soup spoon. The look on her face suggested she was annoyed, but her tone was sympathetic. "Severus, we've already said, we don't blame you for what happened."

"I know what you said. However, it's obvious to me that Father feels differently. He has barely spoken to me since your arrival and he did not return after the funeral."

Esther sighed. She arose and walked over to Severus and knelt down to look him in the eye. He looked into her eyes for a brief moment, then lowered his gaze. Her turquoise eyes were too much like Lucy's.

"Severus, it is not you that Richard is angry with, it is me."

Severus looked over to his sleeping Lucy, mostly to avoid his mother-in-law's gaze. "You?" he scoffed in disbelief. How could anyone be angry with an angel of mercy such as Esther?

"Yes, he's upset with me."

"If staying here is going to come between you and Richard, I can find another way to..."

Esther shook her head, "No- my staying here to care for Lucy has nothing to do with it, Severus," she said with a breathy sigh. "Richard believes that Lucy should come home to Charleston with us."

Severus' eyes snapped up. "Pardon?"

"Not to worry, Lucy isn't going anywhere," Esther said determinedly. "Richard believes that as you and Lucy are not yet married, she belongs home with us. I told him that it was a mere technicality. Lucy's heart is here with you and with Harry. This is where she would want to be."

Severus fought a wave of panic as a traitorous voice in his head whispered that Richard was right. As Severus had not yet married Lucy, it was within her family's every right to take her away from him.

Apparently, like her daughter, Esther seemed to read his mind. "Severus, Lucy is not going anywhere," she repeated with emphasis. "She belongs with you. I'm as sure of it I was that she did not belong with...him."

Severus nodded tightly, "Thank you, Mother."

Esther smiled and stood up. She then walked back over to her table, "None required, Severus," she exhaled gustily, "I suppose I had better at least make the pretence of eating before Harry comes back."

Severus couldn't help but to smile inwardly. Esther would never hear the end of it from Harry if she didn't eat. Severus discovered long ago that there was nothing so dreadful as disappointing a child.

He mulled over Esther's words as she picked at her food. Severus did not want to be the source of contention between his in-laws. "Is there anything I can say or do to assure Father?"

"No Severus," Esther said regrettably. "He'll come around. Lucy is his youngest daughter, and will therefore always be his little girl. It will just take him a little time."

"But there is one thing you can do for me," Esther said, apparently changing the subject from her obstinate husband.

"Name it."

"Please, stop calling me 'mother,'" Esther practically pleaded. "It's just too...oh...I don't know..."

"Stuffy?" Severus quirked his eyebrow in amusement. He knew Esther well enough to know that she was trying not to sound insulting.

Esther chuckled in amusement before she took a bite of her sandwich. "You said it. It didn't."

Severus looked away because he was having trouble keeping from rolling his eyes. "I just don't think I can accustom myself to calling you 'mama.'"

Esther looked slightly annoyed. "Then how about 'mom?'"

"I'm British. We don't have 'moms' here." Severus said, affronted. "What would you say to a compromise and I call you 'mum?'"

Esther then smiled broadly and Severus felt his heart lurch once again as he saw her resemblance to Lucy in that expression.

"Then mum's the word," Esther laughed gaily at her horrible pun and Severus could not help but to smile. It felt good to be light-hearted, if only for a moment. He only wished that Lucy was awake to share the moment.

***1 February, 1987***

Daddy had put a small table in the room with Mummy so Harry could stay during the day.

Harry practiced his calligraphy writing, tongue stuck firmly between his teeth in concentration as he made the downward stroke of the letter he had chosen to work on that day. Mummy had given him a brilliant set of quills and nibs for Christmas and Harry wanted to show her how good his writing was when she woke up.

Daddy was helping Grandma with Mummy's potions and Grandma was teaching Daddy some new spells. Harry sat quietly drawing his letter while the adults took care of Mummy.

It seemed like forever since Mummy had been hurt. Daddy had stayed home from work, because he did not want to be away from Mummy. Harry knew how Daddy felt. Harry didn't want to go to the Weasley's either. Most days, Harry stayed home with Daddy and Grandma, but he went to the Weasley's sometimes because Daddy thought he needed to play with his friends. Harry would rather spend his days at home. What if Mummy woke up and he wasn't there?

Uncle Albus and Pawpaw Aberforth came every day and sometimes Mrs. Weasley would stop by with Ron, Fred and George, on weekends when Mr. Weasley was home. Then they would go outside and play on the new play set Harry got for Christmas.

She would always bring food with her so it would be, "one less worry" for Grandma and Daddy. Grandpa called to talk to Grandma and Daddy on the weekends. He called on the Muggle telephone in Daddy's office every Saturday afternoon. But most days, they just spent their time with Mummy. Harry would read to Mummy from Beedle the Bard, or quietly play on the floor with Thor. Daddy would read her some kind of mushy poetry from some guy named Pablo and Grandma would tell her everything that was happening at Grandpa's. They would always sit and talk to Mummy and sometimes Harry would imagine her talking back.

Sometimes the Healers would come. This was the saddest time for Harry because they would always say that there was no change in Mummy. It always made Daddy and Grandma sad too. Harry would sometimes wish that the Healer would never come back.

Harry tried to act happy for Daddy and Grandma, and even Mummy- just in case she was listening. Harry could never remember being so sad. Sometimes, he wondered if this was how he felt when his first mummy died. He thought that he probably felt even sadder than he did now, but no matter how he tried he couldn't remember. The only thing Harry could recall when he tried to think back that far was a bright green light and the sound of a woman screaming his name. Harry didn't even know if it was real and that made him a little sad sometimes.

Harry loved his Mummy and Daddy...more than anything...but he would give up anything (except Mummy and Daddy) to have a real memory of his first Mummy and Daddy...even a sad one. But then he thought, maybe that's why he didn't remember. Perhaps, sometimes...when something was too sad, people forgot. That was the other reason Harry tried to be happy. He did not want to become so sad, that he would forget his new Mummy. Harry didn't think he could stand to forget another Mummy.

Daddy and Grandma tried to act happy too, at least when Harry was around, but it didn't work.

Harry had heard Grandma trying to talk Daddy into going back to work, but Daddy would hear nothing of it. He wouldn't leave Mummy. Mummy would wake up any day now. She had to.

Harry was just about to show Daddy and Grandma how well he could write the letter "R" in calligraphy. He could now write the letter's "S," "A," "E," "Y," "H," and now "R". He could now spell his name and was trying to learn the letters for Daddy's. He'd had the hardest time with the letter "S" because it was so curvy. But he knew Mummy would be so proud of him when she woke up, because he had learned to write them all by himself.

Harry looked up into the air suddenly when he heard Uncle Remus' voice call out all around the room, "Severus? Are you there?" He sounded really excited.

Daddy looked at Mummy, and then to Grandma. She asked with a little, odd quaver to her voice, "You don't think they found Ke...?" .

"I'm not certain." Daddy replied. He had a strange look on his face. Harry wasn't sure if Daddy was anxious or excited. Maybe he was both. "I'll be right back," he said quickly then darted out the door.

Harry looked at Grandma, knowing his eyes were wide with fear and wishing he was more like Daddy. "What was that about? Did Uncle Sirius and Uncle Remus find Mr. Musgrave?"

"It's nothing for you to worry yourself about," Grandma said a bit too cheerfully. "Why don't you show me what you've been working on? She came to Harry's table a conjured a small chair. Grandma was short for a grown-up, just like Mummy, and she fit almost perfectly into the almost kid-sized chair. Harry liked having Grandma around, but he desperately missed Mummy. He really wished she would hurry and wake up.

Harry had showed Grandma how good he could make his letter "R" when Daddy rushed back into the room. Daddy looked as meaner that Harry had ever seen him with his hair flying about his head and his lips held in a thin line, his eyes burning blackly, even though they were squinched almost shut. It was kind of scary. Harry was glad he never did anything to make his daddy look that angry. He even looked meaner than the time Harry had run away into the Forbidden Forest. The door to his wardrobe flew open and a travelling cloak zinged over Harry's head and into Daddy's outstretched hand. Daddy threw it on with a swirl of dark fabric. "I must go. I may be gone for a couple of hours, so have lunch without me... and possibly supper."

Grandma practically hopped out of her chair and said to Daddy, "Did they find..."

"Yes, I'll tell you everything as soon as I have more details. Harry, you be good and listen to Grandma whilst I'm gone."

Daddy rushed back out of the room and Grandma called out, "Severus...be careful!"

Harry thought Grandma sounded a little scared but Harry knew there was no need to be scared for Daddy. Daddy was one of the most powerful wizards Harry ever saw and Daddy was going to take care of Mr. Musgrave, but good. If anybody should be scared, it was Mr. Musgrave. Daddy was going to really wallop him.

***4:47 p.m.***

Daddy had been gone for quite some time now. They had lunch a long time ago and Grandma was downstairs in the kitchen making dinner. Harry wanted Daddy home, but he wasn't worried. Daddy must really be taking care of Mr. Musgrave. A naughty part of Harry wished that he was there to see it. Never in his life, had Harry wanted to hurt someone—not even Dudley (well...not too much), but he really wanted to hurt Mr. Musgrave for what he did to Mummy and Felicity.

Harry had his copy of Beedle the Bard and climbed up into the bed next to his Mummy. She still looked like she was just sleeping. She always looked like she was sleeping, and sometimes Harry would take a nap right next to her, pretending while he cuddled close, that she was holding him.

***5: 33 p.m.***

Harry didn't know for how long he had slept. He didn't mean to fall asleep, but sometimes that happened when he read, especially since Mummy was so quiet.

He would still be asleep, but he felt something. Someone had removed his glasses and there was a soft hand caressing his cheek. If he didn't know better, he would swear it felt like...

"Mummy?"

Harry hesitantly opened his eyes. He held his breath and wished a desperate wish. When his eyes were fully opened, Mummy's face was so close that she wasn't blurry.

Harry could hardly breathe. Mummy's pretty blue eyes were open. She had been crying and she was looking straight at Harry. Harry began to cry too.

Mummy then said softly with a watery smile, "Hi, baby."

Harry cried, "Mummy!" He flung his arms around his mummy's neck. Mummy rested her arm around him and this time she held him for real. Mummy was too weak to hold him tight, but it was the most wonderful hug Harry ever had in his life. Harry continued to cry as his mummy held him to his chest.

"Hush baby," she whispered through her tears. "I already promised you, I would never leave you again."

Chapter End Notes:
A special thanks to my Beta, Tambrathegreat. She lent some lovely nuances that really helped bring this chapter to life.

The words spoken by Lucy's brother come directly from the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer. The Episcopal Church is the American branch of the Anglican Communion. Crossing oneself, though usually attributed to Catholics, is also practiced by many Anglicans.

I'm sorry I haven't had much time to answer reviews, but school has me swamped. Thank you to all of you who have left your lovely reviews and encouragement.

Next time...Kenneth's fate (Bruhahahaha!)

TTFN
~Missyann