Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Language warning.
A Time to Live and a Time to Die

***Somewhere Beyond***

Wispy dark grey clouds floated across the silver overcast sky to the west. To the east-darkness. Lucy looked about her. She stood on the old plank boat landing. Snowy white egrets waded their way through the brackish low water. Spanish moss draped a spidery vale through the old cypress and oak trees. The camellias and magnolias were in full bloom. Silhouetted in the distance, was the Georgian mansion in which she grew up in.

Lucy was home.

She raised her white shift around her ankles and she gleefully ran in her bare feet across the wooden planks and into the muddy banks of the river. She stopped momentarily when it occurred to her that she had made no sound. The pounding of her feet on wood should have echoed across the river. The egrets continued to feed, as if she weren't there.

It was uncanny. There were no sounds at all. It seemed for all the world to be springtime, yet there was no croaking song of bullfrogs...no bellowing of alligators longing for a mate. And there was something else...the happiness she had felt at the sight of her childhood home had been fleeting-and now was replaced by something Lucy couldn't name, but it was definitely uncomfortable. She felt as if something were tugging at her heart from two directions.

Lucy looked about her and called out, "Hello!"

Nothing- not even an echo.

Well, she thought nonplussed, at least she had heard her own voice.

However, the sound fell flat. It did not echo off the trees as it should have. The only answer to her call was dead silence. A chill ran up her spine, as if a rabbit had just run across her grave.

There were no smells either. No flowery, sweet fragrance of honey suckle in evening bloom. No earthy, loamy scent of blackwater and cypress.

It made no sense. It was if she had stepped into a mirror image of life. It was all so strange and surreal. It looked like home, yet did not feel like home. Something was wrong...something was missing...Lucy felt as though she had lost something...she felt...detached.

Lucy decided to walk the gravel path towards the house. Perhaps someone was home who could give her some insight into what was happening. Something nagged at her insides, telling her that the house would be empty too- devoid of life, just as the rest of the world seemed to be. If it wasn't for the persistent ache in her heart that seemed to intensify with every passing step, Lucy would have doubted her own existence.

Lucy approached the front portico of the house, when her heart leapt. She thought she might have heard something from around the back of the house-laughter...childish laughter. It ceased immediately, and Lucy was certain she had only imagined it, but something within her compelled her to investigate nonetheless.

Slowly, Lucy took guarded steps as she came along the side of the house. When the back yard and the and the adjacent creek and foot bridge came into view-Lucy saw her...a little girl with golden blond hair, two years old at most. The age was wrong, but Lucy knew that little spirit. She knew it as surely as she knew Harry's.

"Felicity!" she cried out.

The child failed to acknowledge Lucy, but instead, continued to run, giggling with childish glee and toddling towards a figure waiting at the footbridge with outstretched arms.

"Felicity! Baby, stay away from the water!"

Lucy's daughter continued to ignore her pleas. Lucy started to run towards her, but she had to stop when the pain in her heart intensified to the point where she nearly fell to her knees. But Lucy had to ignore the pain. She needed to reach her baby.

Lucy was about to call out to Felicity again, when the figure awaiting at the bridge-an elderly woman, swept up Felicity into her arms with an ease that seemed unnatural for a woman her age. "There's my Sevy's girl," the old woman exulted with a now familiar Mancunian accent. She gave Lucy's baby a kiss on the cheek and Felicity returned the kiss in kind with a sloppy baby kiss planted on the elder woman's wrinkled face. "We've been waiting for you for quite some time now."

Lucy stood and stewed in a fit of jealousy. Who did that old-woman think she was? That was Lucy's baby. Those were Lucy's sloppy kisses. Lucy was just about to protest when recognition hit her. That aquiline nose...those endless black eyes... "Imogene?" It was Severus' beloved Nana Snape.

As if her eyes were only just coming into focus, Lucy began to vaguely see others gathered on the bridge. Some, she recognised as members of her own family-her own grandparents...and Mamaw Ellie, Papaw's wife...but none of them stepped forward to welcome Lucy.

It quickly dawned on her that all of these souls standing on the bridge were dead. That could only mean...

Lucy turned to Nana Snape, the only person she had heard speak. "A-am I dead?"

Imogene Snape rested Felicity on her hip and old-woman and infant looked into Lucy's eyes with a wisdom Lucy could scarcely fathom. "That remains to be seen, dear."

"But Felicity..." Lucy reached out for her child, but Severus' grandmother stepped out of her reach as Felicity buried her face in the old-woman's shoulder, as if afraid she would be taken.

"Felicity cannot go with you, my dear."

A young short man with dirty blond hair and an accent that reminded Lucy of home suddenly stepped forward. It was her friend Chris. Next to him stood two people Lucy would have recognised straight away, even if she had never seen the photographs. She had trouble combing out that rat's nest of raven hair every morning...and she would recognise those almond-shaped emerald eyes anywhere.

Why where the Potter's there? For that matter why was Nana Snape? If Lucy was dead...why wasn't her family coming forward? Lucy wanted to see them all.

As if answering her unasked question, James Potter spoke first. "They're afraid if they come forward, you will be too tempted to cross over."

Lily Potter took her husband's arm and looked at Lucy pleadingly. "And you must go back, Lucy."

"No!" As soon as Lucy said it, she collapsed to her knees. No one stepped from the bridge to help her. She felt as if her heart were being rendered in two. She could no longer stand it. Lucy felt as if she were going to die...if she wasn't dead already.

"Please...my baby...she needs me."

"No she doesn't, love," Chris said ever so gently. "Not right now."

"Give her back to me!" Lucy cried out in anger, frustration, and pain. "She's mine! I want her back!"

Lucy couldn't stand it as they all, including her own baby as she clung to Severus' nana, looked at her in pity. "Lucy, she can't," James Potter said in a way a only parent who has been torn from their child could understand. "It is not her time."

"Of course it's not her time to die. She hasn't even been bor..."

"No Lucy, you don't understand," Lily Potter said sympathetically. "It is not her time to live-and she never will if you don't go back. Not to mention, you are needed by others."

Lucy clutched at her heart as a new wave of pain engulfed her entire body. It was pain born of unmitigated grief, fear of uncertainty, and a sense of abandonment. "Severus...Harry..."

The Potter's looked grief stricken themselves. Lucy was too far gone in pain to notice Lily Potter look up beseechingly to her husband. He gave a quick nod and Lily stepped off of the bridge. When she did, she was surrounded by a green ethereal glow. She knelt down in front of the grieving Lucy whose heart was being torn in two.

Lucy felt a touch like a cool breeze on the side of her cheek, and looked up to see those familiar green eyes pleading with her. Lily was touching her cheek. "Lucy, please...I understand...I understand your reluctance to leave your baby behind...but you must. It is not your time to die just as it is not her time to live. Lucy, the pain you feel belongs to those you have left behind. It will never go away if you don't go back. Not until your loved ones find you again."

Lucy swallowed back the pain enough to ask, "Why...why don't you fe..."

"Because it was our time to die, Lucy," Lily explained sadly. "If you stay here, it means you have given up and turned your back on the gift of life you were given. You will suffer a suicide's fate- destined to feel the pain and grief of those you have left behind until it is their time to die."

"Can I take it from them?" Lucy would gladly die if it meant that Harry and Severus would no longer have to feel such agony. She would bear it for eternity if she had to, but her mother's instinct did not want to leave her daughter either. Hell could not be any worse than this.

"No Lucy...you cannot take away their pain...only feel it-and go through time knowing that you are the cause of it."

"But what of, Felicity? I can't leave her here alone."

"But she's not alone. James and I will take care of her. We all will." Lily said as she smiled and looked back to her husband. Felicity reached out her arms from Nana Snape, She grinned widely and her little hands grasped the air for James until he took her in his arms and they both smiled to Lucy and Lily. Lily turned back to Lucy, her smile bright, "See. We promise to take care of her and love her as our own until it is her time to go back to you...Just as you and Severus love our Harry."

That eased Lucy's worry somewhat. Lucy loved Harry as if she bore him herself. If the Potter's would love Felicity with such intensity, Lucy had nothing to fear for her daughter.

Lily was right. Lucy had to go back. She couldn't leave Harry and Severus alone. Not now. Not like this.

Lucy tersely nodded her agreement, still wishing as hard as ever that she could bring her baby back. Lily offered Lucy a hand up, and Lucy willingly took it. Lucy did not feel Lily's flesh as much as she felt her energy course through her body and give her a renewed strength.

Lucy's pain had eased somewhat. It was no longer unbearable, but it was still there, she needed to go back to the people she loved, but there was something else she needed as well.

As Lily began to walk back to the bridge, Lucy stepped forward and asked hesitantly, "May I...may I hold my baby...just this once?"

Chris held out his hand to Lily and drew his fellow spirit back beyond the unseen veil.

This time, it was James Potter who stepped out with Felicity in his arms. This time, the child's face lit up with recognition for her mummy at leaned forward in a desperate attempt to get to Lucy. Lucy gathered her child into her arms, all the while James Potter kept a protective hand on Felicity.

"She is not strong enough to make the crossover on her own again."

Lucy did not hear James' explanation. She was lost in the feeling of unconditional love flowing from her child's spirit. Lucy could feel Felicity's open mouth slobbery baby kiss on her cheek. It felt altogether like eternity and then again, all-to-soon when Lucy's time with Felicity had passed. It wrenched Lucy's heart to give her child back to James Potter, but Harry and Severus needed her, and to Lucy's sadness, at this time Felicity did not. Without question, Lucy had to return to them, and without question, leaving Felicity behind was the hardest thing she ever had to do. Her heart felt stuck in her throat as she accepted the truth of it all.

"Take care of her," Lucy asked though her quiet tears as she unwillingly passed her girl back to James.

"We will Lucy," James smiled back. "Every bit as much as you take care of Harry. I'd ask you to tell Severus that Lily and I are both eternally grateful for everything he has done for our son, but we'll tell him ourselves when it's his time."

Lucy watched with a heavy heart as James Potter crossed back across the threshold of the bridge with Felicity. Nobody waved goodbye. They only stood silently and watched as Lucy turned away and made her way back to the river landing. Already the pain and desperation that she had felt earlier was beginning to ease as she chose to continue to live the life she was meant to.

Before rounding the side of the house and away from the view of the bridge, Lucy decided she had to have once last look at Felicity before she was gone. Lucy turned and looked back. This time Felicity was waiving to her, a broad and happy smile across her angelic face. She would always recognize that happy spirit.

It had not occurred to Lucy-nor would it ever-that the child no longer had wavy blond hair. Rather, the little girl's hair now framed her in a raven curtain, her aquiline nose gave her a Romanesque continence, with eyes as blue-green as turquoise.


How did she get here? Where was she? Was she anywhere?

Lucy remembered nothing. Lucy could see nothing.

The world was white, as if she were in the midst of a raging blizzard and she suffered from snow blindness. She could not feel her body. She felt weightless...suspended...as if she were completely immersed in a warm bath. She could hear them sometimes. Disembodied voices speaking to her. She could not understand the conversations or what they were trying to say to her...but the voices and the people were real. Lucy knew that much.

At first Lucy could not remember their names...the Babel speakers. She only knew that if she could find them...the voices would lead her back to where she needed to be. Lucy focused in on the voices...trying to understand...making them all that mattered...not as if there were anything else to focus on in the vast nothingness.

Then came recognition. Recognition that came from the womb.

Mama?

Her Mama was there. Then other voices...her family...Pawpaw?...her friends...Alf?...her soul mate...Severus!...her son...Harry!

She knew them all, and they drew her back to them. Mama's idle conversations...Severus' poetry...and Harry's fairy tales...and always, always the plea that Lucy return to them. Lucy was determined to return.

Then one day, it happened. She could feel her body again. A small warm body pressed against her. A soft chuffing snore. Slowly Lucy opened her eyes. She could not see very well as her eyes adjusted to the harsh new light.

Harry. Harry had fallen asleep while reading to her. His glasses lay crookedly on his cherubic face and the book he had been reading from was sandwiched beneath his cheek and the bed.

Gingerly, Lucy turned herself over. Slower still, she reached out and removed Harry's glasses. The effort was Herculean but see couldn't let Harry lose yet another pair. It was not Lucy's intention to awaken Harry, but perhaps he had not been far enough into his nap to be fully asleep.

Sleepy little emerald eyes were staring at her from behind a black lunatic fringe. Lucy weakly smiled at her awakening angel.

"Hi, baby."

***5:33 p.m. ***

Most of the evening had been an elaborate game of cat and mouse...Severus of course being the cat.

Earlier that day, Remus had come with the news that Musgrave had been located. It had come as no surprise to Severus to find that the son-of-a-bitch had been hiding right under their noses the entire time.

The Aurors had looked from Wick to Plymouth and from Norwich to the Isle of Man and found no trace of Musgrave...nor would they. The week before Severus had been informed by the Ministry, that although Kenneth Musgrave was still a wanted man it was believed that he had somehow escaped the United Kingdom. The International Floo and Portkey authorities had been notified as well as Muggle airports and shipping authorities and thus far, Musgrave had not turned up, but such was the efficiency in the Ministry. Severus was glad he had the sense and the wherewithal to start his own search.

Severus had known better, and so had the remaining Marauders. Black and Lupin had kept their search quiet...yet localised. The duo had hunted the Forbidden Forest...at great personal risk, Severus had to admit. Severus would have expected that Black would recount the tale of how he and Lupin had escaped the denizens of the forest with much flourish and more Gryffindor bravado than was rightfully sane; however, Black was taking his mission with more seriousness that Severus previously thought the Marauder to possess.

How the hell a mating pair of Acromantulas had made their way to Northern Scotland from Borneo was beyond Severus, but he had his suspicions. Creatures native to a tropical climate could not gain a foothold in cold habitat such as the Scottish Highlands without help. Severus was going to have to speak with the gamekeeper later about his choice in pets. He would also have to speak to Albus who could then confer with the Centaurs on how to rid the forest of them. Even as deep inside the forest as Black and Lupin claimed the monsters were, at least a half-dozen children served detention every year for wandering inside the forest. There was a great chance that tragedy might not be able to be avoided with children being the foolhardy dunderheads that they were, especially with the monsters so close to a school was too high. And to think-Harry could have stumbled across them...

Black and Lupin had also spent time scouring the village and the surrounding countryside for Musgrave. They would have gone as far as the closest mixed metropolis, Inverness, but the city was one of the first saturated by Aurors. They did not want to tip off the Ministry to their private investigation. Severus, as well as Black and Lupin weren't set on exacting justice. They were out to exact revenge. As far as they were concerned, Musgrave would never see the inside of a courtroom.

They knew perfectly well that Musgrave couldn't have gone far; as Lucy had managed to critically wound him. But Severus, Lupin and Black had known that Severus had made the curse permanent. It was a bit of information they had kept to themselves in case there were legal ramifications for Severus.

As it was, Musgrave had been hiding under their noses all along... or to be more precise... right under Hagrid's nose. Apparently, the half-giant had found a wounded rook lying close to death by the old footbridge that led out of the castle, the day after Lucy's assault. Afraid that the helpless bird would soon find itself prey to Mrs. Norris, the gentle half-giant took the animal home to nurse it back to health.

Hagrid had only been privy to the reports published in the Prophet. As far as the gamekeeper was aware, Musgrave had escaped into England and he was not aware of the fugitive's injury. Of the hundreds of rooks, ravens, and crows that inhabited the Hogwarts' grounds, what were the chances that one injured bird was actually Kenneth Musgrave?

Unfortunately, no matter what the gamekeeper did, the bird did not seem to be healing properly. It had begun to eat and had appeared stronger, but Hagrid couldn't understand why it still seemed to be in so much pain. Hagrid intended to take the bird to Kettleburn, in hopes that the magical creatures "specialist" had some answers, however, Irvin had a run-in with particularly nasty Horklump and was currently at St. Mungo's to hopefully have three of his left fingers reattached. As a result, Hagrid had intended to take his injured charge to Aberforth to see what insight his fellow animal lover might employ. Much to Hagrid's surprise, the bird had protested in its cage on the way to the Hog's Head. At some point, (rooks being magnificently intelligent birds) the avian managed to escape its cage. The last sight Hagrid saw of it, the bird had scarcely managed to fly onto the top of a bare sycamore tree on the outskirts of the Dark Forest.

Hagrid had decided that if the bird deemed itself well enough, he would leave it to itself and its fate and the gamekeeper decided to continue his sojourn to the pub-empty bird cage in hand.

As fate would have it, Hagrid told his tale to Aberforth over several pints just as Lupin and Black had been enjoying a tucker. The two men overheard everything.

Black asked Hagrid for a look at the empty cage, and as he suspected, indigo black feathers were matted at the bottom along with semi-dried droppings. Black, the former Auror, had cast the charm that detected the signature of an Animangus. Black directed Lupin to alert Severus, whilst he and Hagird made their way to the Forbidden Forest, the last known sighting of Musgrave.

It took them nearly five hours to track down Musgrave in the heavily thicketted forest. Finally, in a small clearing, they had caught sight of a murder of ravens atop a bare rowan tree. It was Lupin's keen eyes that caught sight of the single, lame bird that did not belong. Once Severus noticed Musgrave's distinctive yellow beak, he wondered how he could have missed it.

Lupin cast the spell that brought Musgrave back to his human form. From that point, Musgrave's day had definitely gone pear-shaped.

The former diplomat had apparently forgotten the art of diplomacy, because every time he opened his mouth, Musgrave only gave Severus another reason to shut it with his fist. Musgrave's fatal mistake was to call Lucy a slut and then gloat over how he had simply taken away from his former fiancé that in which he had gave her. Severus was certain the wizard must be suicidal or mad...or perhaps both. Either way, if Musgrave had a death wish, Severus at that point was more than happy to oblige the bastard.

Despite the cold, Severus had divested himself of his cloak and frockcoat and his formerly pristine white linen shirt was now encrusted with dirt and blood-the blood being a mixture of dried and fresh. None of it belonged to Severus.

As ready as Severus had been to do in the weak and defenceless wizard, that rage had been satiated after several blows. He did not think he could go home and face Lucy and Harry knowing that he had murdered a defenceless wizard.

Damn, his conscience could really annoy him sometimes.

Severus wasn't certain where they were in the forest any more. For a while, he could hear Black and Lupin, following behind, occasionally their Lumos light would cut through the forest's inky blackness. But suddenly the forest had grown eerily quiet and the only light cast was from the waxing moon that sporadically cast a dappled silvery light from the forest canopy stripped bare of foliage.

Panting for his exertion, Severus sneered as Musgrave challenged him once again using his foul lips to form Lucy's name. He manfully resisted the urge to punch the man once more. Musgrave smiled a toothless and bloody grin at Severus, and peered at his attacker through a slit of one of his bruised and swollen eyes. Musgrave spat at Severus. A mix of putrid blood and sputum spattered across Severus' face.

Musgrave rasped in defiance, "Are you done yet, Snape? Beat me to death if you want. Your whore remains a vegetable."

Severus' face contorted with murderous rage, "As you wish."

Wrath surged through Severus' body and out through his arm as he made to backhand Musgrave one last time. Despite his injuries, Musgrave proved to be faster than Severus anticipated as the animagus managed to dodge Severus' blow and attempted to duck behind a nearby tree. Through the pitch blackness, neither wizard had been aware they were so precariously close to the edge of a ravine.

Musgrave seemed to be swallowed by the darkness as Severus heard the wizard's body tumble haphazardly down the ravine, dislodging loose dirt and rocks as he fell. Severus hoped Musgrave would hit a boulder on the way down and save Severus the trouble of having to finish the job. Unfortunately that was not the case as Severus heard Musgrave's body give a graceless plunk when it hit bottom and Musgrave emitted a weak moan. Severus' adrenaline was beginning to fade and it was getting late. He'd had his fun. It was now time to end the entire fiasco. As much as he hated to, he had decided that he would turn Musgrave over to the Aurors, where the Dementor's Kiss awaited him. It was poetic justice that Severus would be able to then return home to Harry and Lucy, hearth and home.

Severus peered over the edge of the inky black crevice to contemplate his next move when he heard the soft hiss of conversation. Severus, after listening for a moment became aware that there was more than one voice, and that those voices most definitely did not belong to Black and Lupin. The cadence was off, and the few words Severus could distinguish were uttered with a strange, lilting accent. Whatever had joined Musgrave below was definitely not human. The moon was waxing, so there was no danger of werewolves roaming about. Though Severus could not make out most of the muffled conversation, it was undeniably speech and not animal sounds he was listening to. Severus' guess was a couple of disgruntled Centaurs. He allowed himself a small, bitter smile contemplating the thought that Musgrave was going to wake up to an unpleasant surprise.

Severus heard Musgrave moan again, apparently awakened by whatever it was that joined him in the hollow.

"Snape, is that you?" A quivering note of horror crept into Musgrave's final word.

Musgrave's bravado was gone now. The intelligible voices and the disjointed movement had immediately ceased. Severus smirked in satisfaction knowing that Musgrave was probably losing control of his bladder in fear.

Severus supposed he ought to go down into the ravine and save Musgrave from the bogart. He was tempted just to leave the man down there to rot, but Severus did not want to take a chance that Musgrave would recover enough to escape again. As was the mantra of any decent Slytherin, Severus decided caution was the better part of valour and cast a Lumos. The sight that met Severus' eyes would have been enough to make the staunchest Gryffindor run in terror. He felt himself quiver at the sight that greeted him.

The forest floor teemed with young Acromantulas. Severus assumed the beasts were also hungry as their fangs dripped venom that fell with a hiss to the dead leaf-litter on the forest floor, their eight eyes glinted evilly as he swept his unsteady wand to get a better idea of their numbers.

Despite the horror of what was about to take place Severus remained momentarily frozen in place...captured by a combination of morbid curiosity and utter horror. Between the pummelling Severus delivered to him and his tumble down the rocky ravine, Musgrave's eyes swollen shut and he was unable to see his gruesome fate approach. Despite the distance, Severus could still discern the look of terror on the pulpy mess that was once Musgrave's handsome if vapid face.

"Snape...I know you're out there! You have to help me man! Help me!"

Crablike, Musgrave attempted to blindly back away from his aggressors. Severus never answered Musgrave...the creatures were attempting to find their bearings, apparently sensitive to the light emitted by his wand, but if he shouted out, they could very well hone in on Severus.

Severus looked to the right then to the left, looking for a way to get down into the gully to reach Musgrave safely, but could find none and he wasn't about to risk his life for Musgrave's, for a single wizard to go into the ravine alone was suicide. There were only so many hexes that he could cast in quick succession, and once he cast the first hex, he would lose the advantage. He had other spells that would have been effective, but those spells would require that he extinguish his Lumos.

If he hadn't lost Black and Lupin along the way, it might have been possible to save Musgrave, but as it was, Severus would have to douse his wand to cast the necessary spells in what little moonlight glanced down on the scene. For the moment, the only thing Severus could do was keep is Lumos shining on the scene below and hope that he could keep the nocturnal creatures disoriented whilst he waited on the arrival of Black and Lupin.

Unfortunately, Severus did not have enough time to suss out his other options as what seemed like an eternity from the time Musgrave fell into the ravine until the time he met his death was in actuality, less than sixty seconds. Death came to Musgrave from the darkness behind him, but alas, none too quickly, if he could tell by the slowing convulsions of the man's body as the Acromantulas swaddled him in silk. Severus swallowed back his bile as he Noxed the light. The horrific sounds of Musgrave's final, muffled, grunts filled the forest as at least a dozen adolescent Acromantulas descended upon him and claimed their prize.


What happened next happened so abruptly, that Severus nearly lost control of his bodily functions. He had turned away from the carnage, intending to use the sparse moonlight to light his way back until his wand light was no longer a hindrance to the nocturnal arachnids dispatching Musgrave at that very moment. By the time Severus was ten paces away, the gruesome noises of Lucy's former fiancé had fallen silent. Before he was eleven paces away, Severus' world had literally turned upside-down.

Severus felt the tug at his navel as he was forcibly slammed to the ground and dragged forward at a frightening speed. With his mouth crammed with dirt, leaf-litter and half-frozen snow, Severus was hoisted upside-down, several metres in the air.

Simultaneously and before Severus could register what happening to him, a flash of bluish-green light whizzed past Severus' head. His curtain of hair obscured his vision, but he caught a glimpse of the unknown spell's target. He thought he must have imagined what seemed to be a spider the size of a lorry, flying and then tumbling sickeningly back into the hollow below. As the gigantic spider flew backwards, a silvery opaque protective wall grew up from the ground until it overtook the forest canopy. Severus was unable to discern how far it extended in either direction as he was unceremoniously chunked to the ice-cold forest floor. He was once again spitting out dirt, leaves, and only God knew what else when he saw a hand extended out in front of him.

"You oughtn't to have taken off so quickly. A couple more seconds, and you would have been spider fodder along with Musgrave."

Severus took the offered hand he knew to be Black's. As Severus rose then began to dust himself off, he noticed from the corner of his eye that Remus stood with his wand extended, reinforcing his protective shield so they would have enough time to get a safe distance away from the hollow.

"Was it entirely necessary for you to use that spell?" Severus asked Black in exasperation as he tossed his head to flip his hair from his face. It was the second time a Marauder had caught Severus off-guard with his own spell. As grateful as he was to be alive, Severus still found it galling.

"Sorry, Snape," Black answered smugly. "In the heat of the moment, it was all I could think of. When that...thing came over the rise... it was all I could do to keep from pissing myself, much less think of a dignified way of pulling you from its reach."

Severus was about to snap back a retort when Lupin interrupted urgently, "Gentlemen...I suggest we take this elsewhere."

Severus looked to the werewolf and could see the sweat pouring from his brow in contrast to the vapour emitting from his panting breath. The spell was taking its toll on his friend.

And Lupin was right. Acromantulas were notoriously opportunistic. Although the attention of the majority was now focused on Musgrave and the injured adult...female judging from the quick glimpse Severus got from its shape and size...There was no telling how long it would take for one to notice the presence of the three wizards, or how long Lupin's ward would hold strong.

Severus reached his hand out and lowered Lupin's wand. "That's enough, Remus. They have their meal," Severus said even as Lupin blanched squeamishly, "We have time, but Black is correct, we should make haste."

The trio hurriedly made their way through the forest in tense silence. As they reached the halfway point Remus looked back over his shoulder and said, "I think we're safe now."

The palpable tension broke and Black slapped Severus on the shoulder and said, "I suppose it was fortunate you ran across those Acromantulas, Snape. If the Aurors come around you can honestly say that Musgrave's blood is not on your hands..."

Severus arched his brow and raised his bloody and bruised hands and splayed them for Black to see.

Black looked rather sheepish when he said, "Um...I was speaking figuratively, of course."

Severus remained silent. He knew he ought to feel some guilt over his hand in Musgrave's death, but he could not. He would have saved Musgrave if it was possible, but if truth be told, he had done the man a favour by not saving him, for the Dementor's Kiss was a far more horrific fate. Moreover, the fact that Musgrave could no longer harm his family had lifted a weight from Severus as well.

There weren't words enough for Severus to thank Black and Lupin for all they had done for his family. Very few in Severus' life had earned his loyalty. Remus had done so when he had defended Harry and Severus both from a perceived threat from Black. Sirius earned his loyalty today. It would have been all too easy for Black to allow Severus to die tonight. Lucy's guardianship and adoption of Harry were not yet official and Black would have been granted custody of Harry with little question. Black had proven himself to be a better man than Severus ever thought him capable of being.

Severus would forever remember this evening, if only for the gobsmacked expressions on his companions faces when casually he said, "Remus, Sirius, I don't know about the two of you, but I'm anxious to try Mother's Brunswick Stew that Lucy is always raving about. What say we clean ourselves up and you join us for supper?"


As soon as Severus and his companions Apparated to his back garden, Severus knew something had happened. He was thankful that he and his companions had at least had the forethought to cast cleaning charms on themselves before returning to Spinner's End, otherwise they would have to dodge some awkward questions. Through the French glass doors he could see the throng of people in his sitting room. Severus' heart jumped in his throat as a hundred scenarios, both good and bad, flashed through his brain.

He rushed into his house with Remus and Sirius hot on his heels.

"Daddy!" Harry shouted with a joyous smile as he jumped off of Molly's lap and into Severus' arms. Severus clung to Harry, glad to smell the little boy funk of his son, even as he made a cursory nod to Molly, Arthur, Minerva and Albus. Something drastic must have happened if the Weasley's called upon the venerable Aunt Muriel to watch their children. The only people missing were Aberforth and Esther. Severus knew exactly where they were and he let Harry down to the floor and then turned to the stairs without asking what had happened.

"Severus, wait." Albus called to him. "You need to know what has transpired first."

"Harry, let's go in the kitchen and have a nice hot chocolate, shall we?" Molly said sweetly as she hastily ushered Harry into the kitchen, so the adults could speak openly.

"But we already had hot chocolate. I want to see Mummy..."

Severus did not want Harry to go either, but apparently there were things to which a six-year-old need not be privy. "Go with Aunt Molly, Harry. I will send for you shortly." Severus said as he attempted to quash his burgeoning hope. Albus must always have his say no matter how anxious Severus was to see Lucy with his own eyes.

Once Harry was safely out of ear shot, Severus turned to Albus, "What has happened? Is she...she...," he couldn't say the words for fear his hopes would be dashed.

"Yes-she is awake and she is lucid. Esther and Aberforth are upstairs with Poppy and the Healer."

"I must go to her." Severus said as he once again began up the stairs. He was beginning to regret his day's excursion. He should have been there for Lucy when she awoke. Did she awaken alone? He would never forgive himself if she had.

"Of course you must, Severus. But there are some things you need be aware of first," Arthur interjected.

Severus looked impatiently at the wizards and witch before him, "Things...what things?"

"She doesn't remember, Severus." Minerva elaborated. "She doesn't remember anything after leaving your classroom that day."

Severus' heart sank. If she did not remember the attack, then she... with a creeping sense of anxiety he said, "She does not remember losing the baby."

Albus answered as he smoothed his beard, a thing he did when he was particularly discommoded, "I'm afraid not. Harry was with her when she awoke. Esther sent me her Patronus as soon as she found Lucy awake. Accor..."

"Why did not Esther send me a Patronus?"

"Because you had concerns elsewhere, when distraction could have proved fatal," Albus said evenly, "As I was saying, according to Esther it took a few minutes before Lucy realised something was wrong and began asking about the baby. When Lucy began to ask questions, Esther sent Harry from the room, which was fortunate. Lucy is obviously... distraught and has been asking for you."

Severus was so tense that he felt as if the crease in his brow had somehow etched a line into his skull. He should have been here. Lucy was asking for him and he wasn't there for her. Instead, he was out traipsing about the Dark Forest, wreaking out his petty revenge. Nothing was as important as being there for Lucy and Harry and Severus had failed at his most important duty. The thought of it made him want to retch.

But he was here now, and Lucy needed him. He and Harry had nearly a month to come to terms with the loss of Felicity, now Lucy would have to face that raw grief and she had done so without him initially.

From behind him, Severus felt two strong hands on his shoulders, "Go on, Severus," said Bla...Sirius' voice gently. "She needs you. Remus and I will stay if you like and take care of Harry, or if... you need anything... else."

There was a time when Severus would have thought such a notion ludicrous beyond all reason. But somehow, as solid as Severus as been all of his life, he now felt the need for some sort of reinforcement. Severus was always keenly aware of the need for allies, but he never saw the actual need for friends before now. If he was going to be strong for Lucy, Severus knew he was going to have to lean on his friends for support. He silently nodded his acceptance of Sirius' offer then went up the stairs to see his Lucy once again.


Severus opened the door the squeak of the hinge sounding as tentative as he felt. He hated being unsure of a situation. Upon approaching the door, he knew someone had cast a silencing charm as there was complete silence as he made his way down the upstairs corridor. It was not a good sign.

As he cautiously entered the room, he could see the Healer speaking with Poppy near the front window. Aberforth stood gravely behind Esther with one hand on his granddaughter's shoulder. Esther sat in her usual chair next to the bed, placing a cold cloth on her daughter's brow and whispering words of comfort to her distraught little girl.

Severus swallowed hard at the sight of Lucy. She sat upright in bed, her head facing away from her mother. She almost looked as though she were still in a coma, if it wasn't for the fact that Severus could see her body shaking with despair.

Severus took another hesitant step into the room and quietly said, "Lucy?"

Lucy slowly turned her head to meet Severus' gaze. Her normally sweet voice was cracked and strained from disuse and bitter tears, "Severus...you're back."

Weak though it was, the sound of Lucy saying his name for the first time in a month was sweeter than a siren's song, but the look in her eyes was enough to crush his heart. Her beautiful blue eyes were red and puffy from previously shed tears. Misery radiated from her person, a type that Severus so keenly recognised...the pain, confusion, and guilt over the loss of Felicity. Only Severus knew that for Lucy, the pain and loss was exponentially more acute.

Esther vacated from the chair as Severus rushed to the bedside. Severus ignored the chair and instead sat on the edge of the bed. Lucy's pretty face contorted from her pain. "Oh, Severus, she's gone...he...he...," Lucy could not finish statement that Musgrave had taken her baby. She began to sob once more and Severus leaned down and embraced her slight body. He felt nothing but her quivering body and heard nothing but her bitter weeping.

The only thing he could think to say was, "He's gone, Lucy. He can't harm you ever again." His words did not seem to help Lucy. She only cried in his arms harder.

As much as he wished he could, Severus could never bring Felicity back to Lucy. The only comfort he could give her was the warmth of his body and the promise that he would walk with her through every step of her living Hell, until she emerged again on the other side, whole and happy again.

Chapter End Notes:
Sorry about the delay on this chapter.

Special Thanks to my wonderful beta, Tambrathegreat for her help and brilliant contributions to this chapter.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and New Year...and oh...Happy Birthday Tambra and Severus!

Please R&R

~Missyann