Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The dust settles after Harry comes into his full power. My thanks to Willing Suspension for editing this chapter. All rights belong to JKR and the gang.
Chapter 22 Seeing Through the Haze

22. Seeing Through the Haze

 

 

A low rumble roused Dumbledore from a sound sleep. He sat up and stared out across his moonlit bedroom. It took him only a matter of seconds to place the signature of the tremor but by the time he had pulled back his bedcovers the tremor had stopped.

The sudden stillness was stark in comparison.

“Phineas! Quickly go and ask Diana to check on Harry Potter.”

“Really Albus,” whined the portrait, “it is the middle of the night. I’m not about to go…”

“Now! And report back to me immediately or you’ll find yourself hanging in a closet.”

“Oh, very well,” Phineas huffed as he sauntered out of his portrait.

Dumbledore slipped into his satin aborigine robe and made to exit his bedroom, but stopped at Phineas’ return.

“She reports that he isn’t in his suite of rooms.”

Dumbledore stared up at the portrait. “Has she seen him at all this evening?”

“Albus come here,” called Dilys from down the hallway.

He moved quickly to the portrait. “Yes Dilys, what do you know?”

“Albus, Sir Cadagon reports that he saw young Harry enter the Room of Requirement earlier this evening with Severus, but that they did not come out.”

“Thank you,” Dumbledore whispered then hurried toward his office.

“Fawkes,” he called out, “please take me to…” but before he could finish his sentence, the crimson bird flew over, grasped Albus’s outstretched hand in his talon, and the two disappeared in a blaze of light.

~~~~~SH~~~~~

His Familiar deposited Dumbledore in the middle of the Room of Requirement right next to Severus and Harry, and he immediately knelt down beside them.

“What happened?”

Harry had partially come around and was leaning up against Severus, who looked up at Dumbledore with accusation in his eyes.

“What do you think happened?” He spat back at the old wizard. “Why didn’t you warn me?”

“Warn you about what?” Albus was shocked at Severus’s verbal attack.

“Think old man,” snarled Severus. “What day is it?”

And Albus gasped as realization dawned. “Harry came into his full power.”

“Obviously.”

Dumbledore reached out. “Why are you upset with me?”

“You’re saying this didn’t happen to you?” he spat back.

Dumbledore held his hands out in dismay and his own voice began to rise. “You haven’t told what did happen.”

Severus returned his attention to Harry. “Can you stand? We should have Poppy check you for injuries.”

“But she isn’t here,” Dumbledore’s voice was apprehensive.

Severus closed his eyes and seethed. “What do you mean — 'she isn’t here'?”

“She left for her holiday, only yesterday.” Dumbledore looked down at Harry, then determinately back to Severus.

“Take him to the infirmary,” he ordered. “I’ll go find her.”

Severus was about to comply, but Harry grabbed at his shirt and pulled him close.

“No,” he croaked. “I want … to go to my rooms.”

“But you’re injured.”

“No, I’m not.” He leaned his head against Severus’s chest. “Please Sir, I just need to sleep.”

“All right,” Severus acquiesced.

“I think it best to avoid using any magic,” Albus added cautiously, “until we determine what we’re dealing with.”

“I agree,” added Severus and he looked over to Albus with concern.

Dumbledore placed his hand on Severus’s shoulder, “I’ll find Poppy and bring her to the suite.”

~~~~~SH~~~~~

By the time Severus had gotten Harry down to his suite and into bed, he felt exhausted and literally shaken to his core. He bare made it back out to the living room where he collapsed on to one of the sofas and fell immediately asleep.

That was how Albus and Poppy found them an hour or so later. She examined both wizards and reported her findings to Albus.

“There’s nothing I can do for Harry. He needs to rest and be patient until his condition improves. But it’s imperative that he be protected during this phase,” she regarded the young wizard asleep in his bed.

“Once this settles,” she continued, “he’ll need guidance in how to handle his new powers.” She turned back to Dumbledore, “You’ll have to warn him to be careful using his magic around others.”

“Of course Poppy, I understand,” Albus acknowledged her then looked across the room with worried eyes. “And what of Severus?”

“Both his physical and magical readings are slightly off. A couple of days' rest and he should be fine.”

She reached out and took hold of Dumbledore’s arm. “Perhaps I should cancel my holiday.”

“No Poppy… You said it yourself, there’s nothing you can do.” He cupped his arm against her back and led her out of the bedroom. “I’ll send Fawkes to you should any need arise.”

~~~~~SH~~~~~

As the sun ascended on the distant horizon, its rays created a soft greeting of peach and orange on this the dawning of Harry’s seventeenth birthday.

Albus was seated at the small table on Harry’s balcony when he caught sight of yet another owl as it approached the castle, carrying yet another birthday gift for the young wizard.

The Boreal owl sailed past him, in through one of the French doors and then flew back out moments later, minus his load.

“Headmaster Dumbledore, Sir?”

Albus glanced over to see Dobby standing in the doorway. “Yes?”

“Headmaster Sir, Dobby is bringing tea,” the lilt in his voice mirrored the droop of his ears. “Dobby is carrying the tea and putting it on the table so that he is not using any magic near Harry Potter.”

“Thank you, Dobby.” Albus stood up, “That was very wise of you.”

“Dobby is wanting to help.” The little elf began to pull on one of his ears.

“Try not to worry,” Dumbledore patted the house elf’s shoulder. “He’ll be fine. He just had a busy night, that’s all.”

“Perhaps if Dobby is making Harry Potter a treacle tart for his birthday?” Dobby’s asked hopefully, “then maybe Harry Potter will be feeling better?”

“I’m sure he would appreciate that.”

His ears perked up immediately and he skirted enthusiastically from suite as Dumbledore followed at a more sedate pace in pursuit of a much needed cup of tea.

The old wizard had barely sat down and taken a sip when he heard Severus stir. “How are you feeling?”

His query was greeted by a scowl. “How long was I out?”

“About six hours, my friend.” He noted the pallid complexion and dark circles under Severus’ eyes as he sat up and then tried stretching out the kinks.

“Let me fix you a cup of tea,” Albus offered. “You look as though you could use some.” He handed the cup to his old friend and waited for him to take a few well paced sips before starting up the necessary conversation.

“Please accept my apology. I had no idea Harry’s transition would be so dramatic.”

“No Albus,” he countered. “I…” Severus closed his eyes and rested his throbbing head against his outstretched hand. “It is I who needs to apologize to you. He sighed and then added, “I was out of sorts.”

“And with good reason, my friend.”

“You found Poppy?”

Dumbledore nodded. “She came and examined both of you.” He regarded the younger man before him with compassion, “Harry wasn’t the only one compromised by last night’s events.”

“I’m listening.”

“You were affected physically and your magical levels have been impaired.”

“What?” Severus stiffened. “Mine?”

“Calm down my boy, it’s only temporary. Apparently being so close to Harry during his transition … well, it had an affect upon you. But Poppy states that you need only to take it easy for a couple of days.”

Albus looked over his rimmed glasses and added sternly, “That includes abstaining from using any magic, whatsoever.”

Severus’s mind began to swirl. No magic? For Days? Dates, commitments, his duties: they all started to flash through his unfocused haze. But then it dawned on him that he hadn’t even yet considered Harry. 

“Albus … What about Harry? Is he all right?”

“Not to worry, not to worry. He’ll be fine.”

“Could you be more specific?”

“According to Poppy’s findings,” Albus paused as he himself was still astounded by her pronouncement, “Harry’s magical powers have nearly doubled.”

Up went the eyebrows. “Doubled?” Severus whispered in amazement.

“Yes … yet even so, his condition at present is precarious.”

Severus sat forward and placed his teacup on the table, and only just noticed the pile of birthday gifts and cards. “What do you mean?”

“She believes that the surge caused a reactionary effect.”

“I don’t understand.”

“She described this reaction as though he’d been burned by his own magic.” Dumbledore sighed. “For all his newfound powers, Harry must not be exposed to any magic. Not until he has recovered. Any exposure could prove fatal.”

Severus sat in stunned silence.

“Thankfully we have one month before the start of term. The quiet of the castle and scarcity of inhabitants should work well to suit both of your needs. ” Albus leaned over and set down his cup then drew in a sharp breath as he snatched up one of the postcards sitting on the table.

“Severus, did you see this?”

“Did I see what?”

Dumbledore inspected the photo on the front of the card then turned it over quickly to read the subject location. “Ireland!” he said in amazement, “I don’t believe it.”

“Believe what? What are you talking about?” insisted Severus.

The old wizard handed over the postcard. “Look at this.”

Severus took the postcard and inspected the photo. His heart nearly stopped. “Dear Merlin.” He also turned the card over and stared dumbfounded at the location address.

“I am correct … aren’t I?” asked Albus.

Severus nodded his head. “We must go at once and inspect the area.”

“Yes, we must go and investigate … but not you, my friend.”

“But how else…?”

Albus interrupted, “No doubt Voldemort’s place of residence will be concealed. Even if it isn’t — all of us in The Order have viewed your recollection in the pensive, numerous times.”

Despite his dazed state, Severus tried to find an argument that would allow him to participate.

Dumbledore continued, “I must ask you to stay here and watch over Harry while I go and investigate this new development. You know as well as I that Harry’s welfare is paramount to anything else.”

Severus was already feeling lightheaded from just this momentary excitement. He leaned back against the couch and closed his eyes, which was a bad idea as the room started to spin and he immediately felt queasy.

Albus turned and looked worriedly toward the bedroom door. “Perhaps I should have asked Poppy to stay.”

“No, we’ll be fine,” Severus assured. “I’ll keep an eye on him.”

 ~~~~~SH~~~~~

 Harry slowly became aware that he was ensconced within the cool silky sheets of his bed.

Something wasn’t quite right, but he couldn’t place what was amiss. He was incredibly tired and his entire body felt heavy, as if he’d hardly be able to move a single limb if he wanted to, which he didn’t.

All Harry wanted to do was to lay there and go back to sleep. But then he heard an odd sound and he struggled to open his eyes.

Something was sitting on his nightstand; he reached for it and held it close to his face. It was a large card with the words: CAST NO SPELLS. CALL IF YOU NEED HELP, SEVERUS.

What the hell?

He heard the sound again and decided to go investigate the source.  

That was easier thought of than done as Harry could barely get himself out of bed. He tried as best as he could to sneak over to the doorway, while at the same time trying not fall flat on his face. But what greeted him when he peered around the doorway caused him to gasp in surprise.

There was Severus lying on one of the couches with a throw over him, flipping through the pages of a magazine.

“Sir!”

“Stay there. I’ll come and help you.”

“I can make it … I think.” Albeit not too gracefully, he did manage to get to the nearest couch before Severus could get up from the other one.

Harry felt chilled even though the day was warm, so he raised his hand to summon his sweater lying on the back of the desk chair.

Severus immediately recognized the motion. “Stop! Do NOT cast any spells!” His shout startled the already frazzled teen.

 “Why not?”

“What were you about to summon?”

“My sweater over there.”

Severus went and fetched the sweater, handed it to Harry then sat down on the table right in of him. How in the world am I going to explain all of this to him?

“So why no spells?”

Taking a big breath, Severus began to explain everything that had happened: Harry’s coming into his full power, his current health status and the fact that he couldn’t perform or be exposed to any magic for the next week or so. Then he reported on his own current health and that he would be keeping an eye on Harry for the next week. Then topping off all of that was the fact that a postcard sent from Neville Longbottom showed the township Severus had seen from the Dark Lord’s bedroom window all those many months ago, and that Dumbledore and The Order were on their way to investigate.

The shocked teen sat and stared in stunned disbelief.

“There’s one more thing.”

Harry tried to ask ‘what’, but couldn’t seem to find his voice.

“You’re magical power — it has nearly doubled in strength. As soon as your condition of hypersensitivity has healed, we’ll need to work on redefining your spell casting to accommodate this new level.”

This was all too much for Harry to take.  He began to feel chilled again and started to shake as the room began to spin. “I don’t feel so good.”

The next thing he knew, Snape was pushing him down gently onto the pillows. He watched as if through a haze, his professor cover him with a soft blanket and then hold a glass to his lips.

“Drink this,” he heard Snape say and his voice sounded strange, like an echo. He swallowed the liquid which burned his throat but then quickly spread a calm warmth throughout him.

Severus watched as Harry’s eyes started to drift closed. “Just try to rest,” he said while brushing back the teen’s fringe. “We’ll talk more later.”

As Harry slept away the entire afternoon, Severus spent the time sitting out on the balcony staring out at the Forbidden Forest.

He thought about the events of the previous night and what he had felt when Harry placed his hand over his heart and he knew that in that moment — some sort of bond had formed between them.

Then that afternoon when the teen had needed help, he had felt an unfamiliar sense of compassion and a need to care for him. Something was happening between them and Severus nearly trembled at the thought. For as compelling it was — this new sense of compassion, it was also unsettling.

But what troubled him even more was the fact that when the Harry had looked into Severus’ eyes immediately after coming into his full power — he had somehow looked straight into his soul.

All his secrets had been laid bare to this powerful young wizard and the vulnerability of this fact was almost more than Severus could bear. 

~~~~~SH~~~~~ 

 

Chapter End Notes:
My apologies for the delay in posting this chapter, but I felt it needed to be beta'd (which it did). I hope you enjoyed it and I hope you take a moment to share your thoughts with me. SHaria