Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
As promisted, here is part 2.
All rights belong to JKR and the gang.
Chapter 26: Broken Open, Part 2

Neville padded quietly back from the loo, trying to put as little of his feet possible on the chilly stone floor.

He could have worn his warm felt-lined leather slippers; in fact his Gran was adamant that he wear slippers when at home, as the notion of bare feet was simply too provincial, but his slippers had a tendency to thwatas he walked, which inevitably woke up Seamus. So, bare feet it was.

He yawned hugely as he closed the bedroom door and decided to check on Harry on his way back to his bed.

The four roommates had held a worried conversation earlier that night when they turned out their lights, over the fact that Harry had not yet returned from his meeting with the Headmaster.

"Psssssst."

He turned to see Ron, who was propped up on one elbow, give a short upward nod of his head in the direction of Harry's bed.

Neville peered through the slightly parted drapes and saw what he assumed was Harry.

"He's asleep," mouthed Neville and gave Ron a thumbs-up.

Satisfied, the red head plopped back down on his bed and breathed a sigh of relief.

~~~~~SH~~~~~

"God, it's cold," Harry pulled the black cashmere sweater he'd found draped across the back of Sev's desk chair tightly around him. Despite sitting next to the roaring fire and the warming charm Dumbledore had cast, and the sweater — he was still freezing.

"Drink this," Dumbledore pressed the warm cup of tea into the young man's cold hands then went to sit in the opposite chair and watched with concern as Harry took a few sips.

"What's taking so long?"

"It's only been a few minutes," Dumbledore replied assuredly.

After Severus had fallen asleep, Harry debated whether or not to get help. He knew it would kill Severus to have anyone see him so…vulnerable, but he also knew that Sev and Dumbledore were close friends. And quite frankly, he didn't know what was wrong with Severus or how to deal with it.

"Can you continue now to relay what happened?"

Dumbledore's words barely registered, "What did you say?"

"You had reached the point where you gave Severus the potion," Dumbledore tried redirecting the frazzled young wizard.

"Sorry Sir. I don't know what's wrong with me."

"No doubt this was highly stressful for you, but it is imperative that you relay all you witnessed and heard. It may help us to help Severus."

"I'll try." Harry pulled the sweater more tightly to him as he tried to regroup, "Um...well, after I gave him the potion, he started talking about that dream he always has."

Dumbledore furrowed his brows. "What dream might that be?"

"I guess dreamwouldn't be right," Harry tucked his legs up onto the chair, "it's a nightmare ... and it's scary."

"A nightmare?" Dumbledore confirmed. "And you say it reoccurs?"

"Yeah," Harry sighed and then began to recite the scenes of Severus's nightmare. "It's always the same," he closed his eyes. "He hears someone screaming. He runs out of his room to see who it is, but there's all this mist and he gets scared, so he calls for his Mum."

"Excuse me for interrupting, but you said that he calls for his…Mum?"

Harry opened his eyes and looked tiredly at the old wizard, "Sir, in this dream, Sev is just a little boy."

Albus felt a chill run through him, "I didn't realize. Please continue."

"Well, like I said…there's all this screaming and he goes looking for his Mum but he can't find her. Pretty soon he gets to the stairs and then … he wakes up."

Albus felt as though he'd missed a step.

"I think now he knows who it was."

"Who it was? Are you referring to the person who was screaming?"

"No Sir, his Mum was the one screaming." He couldn't hold back the tears that suddenly filled his eyes. "I don't know who she was, but it was someone named Rosa."

"I'm sorry Harry, you've lost me. Who was Rosa/i?"

"I think Sev really loved her." Then he finished in a whisper, "But she fell down the stairs and … died."

"Dear Merlin. Why has he never mentioned this to me?"

"I don't think even heremembered … not until tonight."

"My, my," Dumbledore considered this profound statement as he stroked his long white beard. "Is there anything else you remember?"

Harry nodded and discreetly wiped away his tears. "This isn't part of his dream … it's more like a feeling I have."

"Please continue."

"I don't think Rosa's falling down the stairs was an accident: I think someone pushed her. And whoever it was, that person was important to Sev." The chill that had plagued him all night was getting worse. "He kept asking…'why did he do it'?"

Dumbledore crossed his arms closely to his chest. "Oh Severus," he whispered.

Harry pressed his fingers to his temples and grimaced slightly.

"Are you ill?"

"No … I don't know. I haven't been feeling too good."

"Yes, Poppy informed me of your visit to the infirmary. Perhaps you should lie down."

Harry glanced over to the clock; it was nearly two o'clock. "If I do, will you wake me when she comes out?"

Dumbledore tipped his head to the side. It wasn't really quitea nod and Harry wasn't really quitecertain if the Headmaster had agreed or not, but he wasn't feeling well at all, so he went ahead and laid down on the couch in the library.

He must have dosed off for no sooner had he closed his eyes but that it seemed he suddenly heard hushed voices. He quietly got up and tiptoed over to the door and saw that Madame Pomfrey was now sitting in the chair where he'd been sitting earlier.

"Dehydrated?" asked Albus.

"Yes," Poppy confirmed," and he is physically drained. His readings were quite alarming, but I've taken care of all that and he's resting now." She sighed then leaned forward and asked, "What did Harry tell you about the way Severus acted, or anything he may have said?"

Dumbledore relayed the details of the nightmare to the Mediwitch then she pressed her lips together and nodded to herself, as if she already had already known but simply needed the information for confirmation.

"What is it Poppy? What do you think has happened to him?" Albus asked worriedly.

She made a sort of 'tisc' sound as she parted her lips to speak, "Based on your report and Severus's physical condition, I believe that he has suffered an emotional collapse. A nervous breakdown if you will."

Harry felt like he'd just been hit by the Whomping Willow. And even though Madame Pomfrey began a clinical explanation that 'a collapse of this nature could be categorized into varying degrees of severity' and that 'of course an individual can fully recover from such an event,' her words seemed to sail right past him as though they were made of wind.

How could this have happened to Sev?wondered Harry. Even though he'd told Hermione that Severus wasn't invincible, deep down he had placed Sev in just that position, as someone Harry could always depend upon and count on to be strong.

He found that as he watched Madame Pomfrey speak to Dumbledore, he could no longer hear her voice. An ominous silence seemed to reach up and it wrap itself all around him, covering him in a gray mist — just like the one in Sev's dream. The last thing Harry remembered before he disappeared into the mist was the sudden jolt as he hit the floor.

~~~~~SH~~~~~

Voldemort's footfalls echoed up and down the cavernous staircase as he ascended each stone step.

He'd just investigated the lower level where he had discovered a magnificent dungeon still host to several old apparatus of torture, and had now begun his trek upward, working his way up the mighty central staircase and stopping off to explore the four separate wings on each level.

On the third floor he discovered a smaller staircase, narrow and harbored between the west and east wings on the north side of the fortress. Voldemort followed its tantalizing trail to discover two suites of rooms on what turned out to be a secluded forth floor.

No doubt these suites were living quarters and unlike the rest of the edifice; the finishing work here was quite opulent: gilded ceilings, ornately carved wooden doors and solariums of beveled glass.

The words of his wise old friend from Niigata rang in his mind, All things happen for a reason.

If that annoying Order of the Phoenix hadn't discovered his manor in Ireland, perhaps he never would have made the effort to discover this magnificent Fastness. But now that he had, he would claim it as his own. After all, only two people on the planet could have read the Parseltongue which identified the hidden location of this Fastness, and of those two individuals, only one was a direct descendent of the great Salazar Slytherin.

Voldemort walked over to one of the beveled windows and stared down at the raging torrent below, "I claim this Fastness as mine. It shall be my home and the headquarters for my Death Eaters." He then inhaled a lungful of the stale cold air, drawing a breath of the ancient Fastness into his very being.

~~~~~SH~~~~~

"Did you have a good visit?" Dumbledore asked Channon Jackson as he walked into the Headmaster's office.

"Yes we did. But for your information, Harry isn't in the infirmary, he's up in the tower."

"He is?" Dumbledore's eyebrow peaked over the rims of his glasses. "I didn't know Poppy had released him."

"Apparently just before I arrived. He's resting up in his dorm room now; Ron and Hermione are staying with him."

"How was he?"

Channon shook his head, "He's so pale Albus; whatever that virus was - it certainly took its toll."

"Thank goodness we caught it before it before it spread to the other Halfbloods."

"And you say that Severus is also ill?"

Dumbledore nodded. "We believe it was Severus who was first exposed when he was away from the castle. Then he apparently passed it on to Harry during one of their training sessions."

The old wizard turned away and walked toward his desk. He hated lying to Channon but there was no choice. As it stood only Dumbledore, Poppy, Harry and Minerva knew the truth regarding the breakdown and the apparent connection between the two wizards.

Poppy had determined that Harry was experiencing a reflection of Severus's symptoms. The only possible explanation they found plausible was that some sort of connection had formed the night of Harry's transformation when his magic enveloped the older wizard.

"I want to thank you for taking over this project," Albus collected the rolled parchment from his desk and handed it to Channon. "As I stated previously, if you could decipher that one remaining sequence we will be able to break the wards surrounding Voldemort's manor. I wish I could continue, but with my upcoming commitments I simply won't be able to."

"Don't give it another thought. I know that time is of the essence and to be honest, I appreciate the opportunity to help."

Channon's expression turned to one of concern, "Will you please keep me apprised of Harry's progress?"

"I'll arrange for Poppy to send word to you." Albus escorted Channon over to the Floo and then added, "However you might consider Owling him yourself."

"You're right," the younger man shrugged uncomfortably. "This summer slipped by so quickly; I promised I'd write, but I seemed to have come up short."

"Then why not consider this a lesson learned."

"I will." Channon nodded his head, "I'm going to make more of an effort to keep in contact with him."

"I know that Harry looks up to you and I'm certain your efforts would mean a great deal to him."

~~~~~SH~~~~~

After Channon Floo'd back to the Ministry, Dumbledore went to check on his ailing friend. But no sooner had he stepped from the Floo in Severus's sitting room, when he heard a tense discussion coming from the bedroom.

"As usual Poppy you are overreacting. A day of rest and I'll be fine."

"Well if I'm overreacting then you're being foolishly cavalier with regards to your own well being."

"What happened was simply a matter of overwork and dehydration," the tiredness in his voice countered his claim. "Now please stop your touting and leave me to rest. I have classes to teach tomorrow."

Poppy was about to hit the roof when Dumbledore strolled into the room. "Ah Severus, I can tell you are feeling better."

The pale wizard glanced briefly to the doorway then returned his attention to his latest copy of Potions Compendium Monthly.

The Mediwitch marched across the room and hissed on her way out, "See if you can talk some sense into him."

Dumbledore stood for a moment considering the situation, and then he took a seat next to the bed and waited quietly as Severus flipped slowly through the pages of his magazine.

"Haven't you anything better to do than sit here and watch me read?"

Albus remained silent and bided his time. It worked; Severus tossed the periodical to the foot of the bed. "What do you want?"

Dumbledore steepled his fingers and pondered how best to proceed. Severus was in denial of the emotional component of his collapse, and his flat out refusal to see a counselor had left Albus in a difficult position. The entire incident, of course, needed to remain under wraps and so he was faced with the decision to either try to help Severus himself and risk doing more harm than good, or do nothing and allow this recent realization to slip from Severus's conscious mind and recess back to the depths where it had hidden for so many years.

"Would you answer a question for me?"

"If I can," Severus tensed.

"Who was Rosa?"

It was a good thing he was lying down. His breath caught for a moment and all the color drained from his face. "How do you know about her?"

Albus proceeded cautiously, "Do you remember what transpired when you returned to the castle?"

Severus laced his fingers together and busily began worrying his two thumbs, "Not clearly."

"Harry found you. You told him of your realization." Dumbledore warmed the cup of tea sitting on the nightstand and handed it to his friend. It contained a dose of Draught of Peace, which Poppy had prescribed for Severus to take for the next week or so.

He had been correct that night in realizing that he needed the draught to counteract the effects of his emotional state. And the fact that he received it so promptly had stopped the process from causing any further damage.

"Severus?" Albus pressed.

"She was my nanny," his voice was soft and he stared blankly at the bedcover.

"No doubt she was very important to you."

"Apparently," he huffed, "This is all quite disheartening — embarrassing actually."

"You mustn't think that way."

Severus shook his head slightly, "The fact that a House Elf has caused me so much turmoil… and now this."

Albus leaned forward, "She did care for you when you were but a child; we are all so malleable and sensitive at that stage of life."

Severus nodded but remained quiet for a long time. Now that the memory of her death had resurfaced, he had begun to remember other memories. Little things like the way she was always there for him when he needed her, how she would play games with him, sing to him and take care of him when he was sick.

"And obviously this was something that you needed to address; your reoccurring nightmare speaks to that fact."

"I suppose I have Harry to thank for that."

Albus winced, "Please don't blame him. I asked him for information. We needed to understand your situation in order to help you." Not wanting the conversation to stray, he readdressed the topic of Rosa. "Harry also mentioned that you kept asking 'Why did he do that to her?'"

Severus had been about to take a sip of his tea but stopped— suddenly, then set his cup back down which clinked on the saucer as his hands started to tremble.

"Let me take that for you." Albus took the cup and saucer then turned back to Severus who had somehow managed to become even more pale.

"Who did it? Who was he/i?"

"My father." Now Severus's entire being began to tremble. "He and my mother were arguing, as they often did. But this time he began to hit her and she screamed. That was when I awoke."

"Rosa was with you?"

Severus nodded. "She always sat by my bed and sang to me … until I fell asleep." It took him a moment to continue, "I ran out of my room to see why my mother was screaming. Rosa followed me and when she saw what was happening, she ran over to try to stop him."

Severus wrapped his arms around himself, "He grabbed her … he grabbed Rosa," Severus's voice hitched, "then he threw her down the stairs."

"Oh Severus, I am so sorry." Albus moved over to sit on the bed and placed his hand on the younger man's shoulder. "What made you finally remember this?"

Without revealing being raped, Severus relayed his activities during those two harrowing days. How he had worked feverishly, barely eaten, had gone from one safe hold to the next taking care of the prisoners and all of this with no time to rest.

Severus suddenly gasped, "Dear Merlin, I completely forgot to report what has happened."

"You are referring to the prison break no doubt … and the escaped Death Eaters?"

Severus nodded and dragged a hand through his hair. "How could I have forgotten this? Why haven't you mentioned it?"

"My dear friend, I have had far more important matters on my mind then prison breaks and Death Eater activities." Albus smiled kindly, "Please try to continue: what happened to spur your repressed memory of Rosa?"

Severus withdrew slightly from Albus's kindness, "It happened the second night. I was attending to Dolohov's wounds when I heard a commotion out in the hallway. I went to investigate and when I stepped outside the door, I saw Malfoy kick one of the elves down the stairs."

Severus stopped and stared out across his bedroom. "I don't remember anything after that. I don't even know how I got back to the castle."

Albus again offered him the tea, "Please try to finish this. It will help."

"Yes, you're correct." Severus's hands were shaking so badly he could barely hold onto the cup, but he finished the tea and lay back against his pillows. "It's difficult … trying to deal with all of this."

"Listen to me Severus," Albus took the now empty cup, "I know of a place, a very peaceful place. It is here on the castle grounds and is protected by a Fidelius Charm. I believe it would be an ideal place for you to recover and if I may, I would like to accompany you." Dumbledore's expression spoke of his concern and compassion for his dear, dear friend. "We will have ample time to talk through all that is troubling you."

Severus nodded his agreement, then after a few moments he asked very quietly, "I would like to see Harry though, before we leave."

"I hope you don't harbor any ill will toward him for telling me about…"

"No, it's not that," Severus interrupted. "I simply wish to thank him for helping me."

Albus smiled with relief. "I'll make the necessary arrangements."

~~~~~SH~~~~~

Harry stared up at the Snitch as it flew wildly round and round the warded area over his bed.

After Channon's visit and hearing all about the efforts in trying to decipher the wards around Voldemort's manor, Harry had decided to try his hand at creating a ward.

He'd been lying on his back for nearly two days now, under stern orders from Madame Pomfrey to 'stay in bed or else.'

Neville came in and stopped in his tracks at the sight of the frantic Snitch flying around in the confined ball of space. "Cool Harry. How did you do that?"

"I made a ward," he replied flatly. Making the ward had at least gotten his mind off the events of the other night.

"Wow, I can barely manage a Shield charm, and you're making wards." He sighed and then moved toward the bed for a closer look.

Harry noticed that Neville was a tad upset. "What's wrong? You're not miffed about my ward, are you?"

"No it's not that." Neville sat down on the edge of the bed. "It's girls."

"Girls? As in … Luna?"

"That's the one," he glanced up at the flashes of gold above him.

"Did you two have a row?"

"No, that's not it." Neville took a deep breath and grit his teeth, "Luna wants to do it."

Harry gasped slightly with surprise, "That's great!"

Neville's worried expression turned frantic. "No it's not! I've never… What if she realizes…"

"Wait a minute," Harry sat up straighter. "Why are you getting so worked up? It's not like she's a pro or anything."

"How do you know?" He asked accusingly.

Harry leaned back in defense. "I'm just guessing. I mean … we're talking about Luna. Right?"

"Sorry. I didn't mean to get shirty."

"Don't worry about it."

Neville stood up suddenly, "I can't even think of where to go. If I bring her up here, everyone will know." He bit his lips then looked to Harry. "Do you know of a good spot?"

He was about to mention the potting shed when they heard a knock at the door.

"Who is it?"

"It's Professor McGonagall. I wish to speak with you Harry."

"Shite," Neville started as Harry released the ward and the Snitch began to fly frantically around the room.

"Um … just a minute." He quickly summoned the Snitch and sent it to his trunk. "Okay Professor, come on in."

The stern witch opened the door, "Mr. Longbottom, would you please excuse us a moment?"

"Yes, Ma'am." Neville nearly sprinted from the room.

McGonagall waited for the door to close before commencing. "The Headmaster would like you to report to his office tomorrow morning at ten o'clock. Will you be able to manage, or shall I accompany you?"

"Why?" Harry immediately suspected the worse. "Has something happened?"

She explained that the Headmaster would be leaving for a week or so and that she would be in charge while he was gone. "Perhaps as Head Boy, the Headmaster simply wishes to discuss the situation with you."

"Did he say anything about Professor Snape? How he's doing?"

"I am told his condition is improved." She brushed back the few stray hairs that had worked their way loose from her bun. "To be perfectly honest Potter, the Headmaster is accompanying Professor Snape to someplace where he can recuperate."

"Accompanying him?" Where are they going?"

"I'm sorry Potter, but I'm not at liberty to discuss that with you." McGonagall gave him that sympathetic laced adamant look she'd get sometimes, which irked Harry to no end.

He knew it was a lost cause. "Yes Ma'am," he acquiesced and then sank down onto his pillow.

~~~~~SH~~~~

The following day, while the majority of students were in class, Harry made his way to the Headmaster's tower. Even though he'd regained quite a bit of his strength, the trek across the seventh floor had left him feeling as though he'd jogged around the lake — twice.

The spiral staircase seemed especially steep and he was nearly out of breath by the time he reached the top step.

"Enter," Dumbledore called out when Harry knocked and he opened the door to the sight of the old wizard standing at the entry to the annex.

He smiled at the teen and pointed to the opposite side of the room then entered the annex and closed the door behind him.

Confused, Harry peered around the door and saw Severus sitting in a squishy chair near the far window; he looked pale and fragile and was wearing that cashmere sweater Harry had worn the night of the breakdown.

"Sir?" Harry walked tentatively over to the frail looking wizard. When he neared the chair, Severus stiffened and turned slightly away.

He stopped right where he was and stared at Severus who busied himself with looking out the window.

"Hi Sev," he tried again as he took another step closer.

Severus glanced quickly to Harry but then looked back out the window. "Thank you for coming."

Harry looked over to see if he was missing something outside, a Thestral flying by perhaps; there wasn't anything but blue sky. "Um ... you're welcome." He didn't know what else to say after the awkward greeting.

They stayed like that for a few moments, not interacting but only listening to the tick-tock of the mantel clock which seemed rather loud as it echoed in the uncomfortable silence of the room.

Then Harry noticed Severus tremble slightly as he drew a breath to speak, "I wish to apologize for my actions the other night."

"Why?"

Severus turned toward Harry but wouldn't look directly at him. "Because my actions were inexcusable."

Harry knelt down next to the chair. "You were sick ... that's all."

Severus busied himself with a piece of lint on his sweater.

"Please Sir ..."

"My name is Severus," he interjected and then finally looked at Harry. "You're so pale."

"Look who's talking," Harry said lightly in an attempt to ease the tension.

"They told me that my condition had an affect upon you." He paused as he took in the dark circles under Harry's eyes. "I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about me; I'll be fine," as long as you arehe thought but didn't say."

"When Madame Pomfrey explained what happened to you," Harry continued. "I think I passed out. And now they're telling me that you're going away." His voice started to wobble. Seeing Severus like this was more upsetting than he thought it would be. "Where are you going?"

The sound of worry in Harry's voice pulled at Severus's heart and his precarious condition. He reached a shaky arm around the teen and immediately, his experience of being injured on Samhain sprang to his mind.

"Do you recall last year when the Dark Lord attacked you?

The sudden change of topic took Harry by surprise. "What? Uh ... sure I remember, but what does that …"

"Something happened that night; I've meant to ask you about it for a while now."

"Ask me about what?"

"Do you …" He wasn't quite sure how to phrase what happened. "Did you come to me?"

Harry froze. "You mean … that really happened? I thought it was a dream."

"Please tell me what you experienced."

Harry sighed and leaned slightly against Severus' arm. "I felt you, when you tried to help me Occlude. Then I had that surge and I knew you'd been hurt."

He looked up into the tired ebony eyes. "You went away … so I followed you."

"Why have you never mentioned this?"

"I didn't think it was real," Harry shrugged. "I thought I just dreamt it."

Severus thought about how secure he had felt when Harry's love had followed him to his subconscious. "I felt you. At first, there was only darkness and then I felt something wrap itself around me. It made me feel safe."

Harry gasped. "That was me," he whispered in surprise.

"I thought I would never feel anything like that again."

Harry wasn't sure about this, but he reached up and hugged Severus. "You're not alone. I'm right here," he said and then offered. "You took care of me when I was sick; I'll come and take care of you now."

Severus felt his emotions begin to swell in response to Harry's compassion. Even so, he pulled the young man's arms gently from him and then held the smaller hands in his own. "You are also ill. You need to recover, as do I."

"But I'm afraid I'll lose you," Harry finally confessed as tears filled his eyes. "Something always happens to those I care about. I need to make sure you're okay."

"I'll be fine," Severus reassured and he looked into the emerald eyes which reminded him of Lily. "Albus is coming with me."

Harry was trying his utmost to hold himself together. "Okay, but you gotta promise me you'll come back. All right? Promise."

"I promise." This emotional discussion had exhausted Severus and he laid his head back against the soft chair and closed his eyes.

"Don't worry about me," Harry rallied. "I'll be fine. You just get better, okay?" He spoke assuredly and readjusted their hands so that now he was holding Severus'. "Just remember how this feels," he said as he squeezed the potion stained hands. "You're not alone Sev ... not anymore."

Chapter End Notes:
Please take a moment to share your thoughts.