Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Numerous discussions lead to various outcomes.
This chapter was beta'd by Steppenwolf, Willingly Suspend and Amymimi.
Warning: A little bit of profanity. All rights belong to JKR
Chapter 28: Private Discussions

"Hey Luna! You got any more Chocolate Frogs?"

Luna's Spectraspecs slipped down her nose when she turned around, "Sorry Ron … no I don't. But you can have my two remaining delicious Canary Creams."

"That'll do. Give'm here; I'm starving."

Luna, Neville, Ron, Hermione and Harry all stopped and watched Luna fish through her purse as the throng of students filed past them, making its way back up to the castle after having watched the first match of the Quidditch season. It had been a long match that had gone into overtime — and the supper hour, and in which Ravenclaw had defeated Hufflepuff by a slim margin.

"Ron, if you eat any more you won't have room for dinner."

As the group waited on Luna, Harry cast a nonchalant glance in Neville's direction. It had been more than a week since they'd had their conversation regarding you know what, and Harry was curious if any progress had been made.

Neville finally noticed Harry looking at him with one eyebrow raised questioningly. He waited a moment and then answered the silent question with blushed cheeks and a tiny smile.

Harry winked.

Ron got his candy and they continued their trek.

"What did you think of Cho?" asked Ron. "She must have practiced over the summer 'cause she's definitely gotten better."

Harry shrugged. "I don't know; her speed's always been her weak spot … still is if you ask me."

Ron shot a sideways glance at his best friend. "So what did Pomfrey say? Can you start practices again?"

"Yeah, I already told you."

"No you didn't," Ron retorted. He'd been worried over the fact that Harry hadn't practiced with the team all week and their first match was the following weekend.

"Well, I thought I did. Sorry."

"No worries. I'm just glad you're better."

"Me too," Harry sighed with relief but for a different reason; he knew that if he was feeling better than Severus would be as well.

Argus Filch stood at the top of the front steps and called Harry over, "Potter! Yer tah go tah the Headmaster's office right away."

"He's back?"

"Course he's back … how else could he ask tah see ya? Now get a move on! He's a waitin for ya."

Harry turned to his friends. "I'll catch up with you later."

"Good luck!" Hermione called out as he took off at a dead run.

"Good luck with what?" asked Ron.

"With whatever it is the Headmaster wants to see him about," she punted.

Ron furrowed his brow and looked at her questioningly. "I think you've lost it Mione. Come on, let's go eat."

~~~SH~~~

Severus laid his hands on the long central work table and closed his eyes.

One, two, three, timed his inhalation in a steady pace then exhaled in a likewise manner. One, two, three, four.

He'd come across this exercise in the book he read the past week, The Journey from Breakdown to Recovery,as a way for an individual to steady their nerves.

He opened his eyes and looked once again around the room.

Despite the fact that it was indeed a wonderful room: large, containing ample counter space, not one but two laboratory sinks, new cauldrons (including one of those platinum ones he'd been wanting for quite a while now), it was in disarray and in his current state the disorder was particularly offensive.

The vast supply of ingredients from the old laboratory at the Dark Lord's manor had been piled into boxes which were now sitting atop the work counters. It would take days, perhaps weeks to get it sorted out and stocked into the storage cupboards.

Severus sighed then walked over and opened the one window at the far end of the room, leaned his head out and took a deep breath.

The view was magnificent; the roar rumbling up from the thunderous river below was enough to still one's heart, and the air — it smelled so clean and fresh.

"Impressive … is it not?"

Severus turned in surprise at the sound of the Dark Lord's voice and quickly bowed.

"I apologize my Lord, I didn't hear you enter."

"No matter." Voldemort strolled casually into the room. "You may rise."

He did so and quickly closed the window.

"What do you think of the room I have chosen for your laboratory?" Voldemort asked as he held his hands outward while looking rather pleased with himself.

"It is truly outstanding, my Lord."

"I wanted you to have the very best."

Severus bowed his head. "Thank you."

Voldemort began to walk slowly down the length of the central work table. "Now what is this I hear of you being ill?"

"I apologize my Lord … it won't happen again."

The dark wizard stopped and turned back to look at him, "Explain."

"I overworked myself taking care of the survivors of the escape. I neglected to eat or take in enough fluids," Severus swallowed and paused his explanation momentarily, "Which in turn led to dehydration and caused a metabolic imbalance in my system."

"And now?" pressed Voldemort.

"I am much better, my Lord."

Voldemort considered the man standing before him. Severus was pale, even more so than usual, and he seemed the slightest bit — frangible. Malfoy had corroborated the fact that Severus had worked ceaselessly tending to the needs of the escaped prisoners, but Voldemort wondered if perhaps his interlude with his favorite Potions Master may have played a part in his current condition.

If it had been anyone else — Voldemort wouldn't have given a damn. But the truth of the matter was that he needed Severus, and he needed him healthy.

"But you are not fully healed; I can see that."

Severus merely looked down.

"You took remarkable care of me last year when I was ill and I insist that you extend to yourself the same consideration."

He walked to the door and placed his boney hand on the knob. "I want you to take a few days to regain your strength; you are no good to me sick and frail. Thenyou may see to assembling my laboratory, but do not overtax yourself."

Severus bowed deeply as Voldemort exited the room, "Yes my Lord."

He waited until the door had clicked closed, then he straightened up and stared in disbelief over the fact that his master had shown him such favor.

~~~SH~~~

"Summoned?" Harry whispered in shock.

"Yes," Dumbledore confirmed and then held out a small envelope, "He wanted me to give this to you."

Stunned, Harry looked down at the missive.

Always maintain your composure,Severus's counsel echoed in his mind while at the same time Harry's own inner voice wanted to shout at the Headmaster for letting Severus go off to God knows where — when he was supposed to be recuperating.

"When was he summoned?" Harry asked as casually as he could manage.

"This afternoon." Dumbledore handed him the note. "I think it best that you to read it here in my office, and then I will have to destroy it. I'm certain you understand why."

"Yes Sir," he whispered.

Dumbledore moved off to his desk as Harry slowly opened the cream envelope and pulled out the note.

Dear Harry,

As you must know by now, I have been summoned by the Dark Lord. Word reached us earlier today of the failed attempt on the manor, and so this call does not come unexpected. It is imperative that I go and do what I can to discover the whereabouts of his new headquarters.

The time away has been therapeutic for me and I am much improved.

I will send word to you upon my return. Try not to worry.

S./.i

The note was too short, but at least it was something and he was touched that Sev would take the time to write it as his Dark Mark burned.

Harry looked over to the Headmaster whom had placed a small silver plate atop his desk. He walked over - placed the missive on the plate then stepped away and watched as Dumbledore wave his hand; the small missive was quickly devoured by an intense blue flame.

"He wrote that he was better," Harry said as he stared down at the now empty plate.

"He is, my boy." Dumbledore placed his hand on the teen's shoulder. "Severus is feeling much better."

"But the summons … Maybe he shouldn't have gone."

"Harry, you must have faith in his abilities. Severus is very experienced in these matters." He patted him reassuringly, "Try not to worry."

"Yes Sir."

~~~SH~~~

Crabbe joined Goyle as soon as his guard shift ended, then they Apparated into town and headed straight for the Hogs Head.

"Blimey Greg, that's boring stuff."

"Yeah, but it's a far sight better than sitting in that cell; I thought we'd neverget out of there."

They turned the corner then entered the tavern. "Merlin, this ale is gonna taste good."

"Too right," agreed Crabbe as they sidled up to the bar, ordered their drinks then took a seat in a dark booth at the very back.

So much had happened in the past ten days: the prison break from Azkaban, receiving their Dark Marks and becoming junior Death Eaters, the new Headquarters and their new positions as Reception Guards.

They felt like real adults what with their little apartment just outside of town, being real Death Eaters and not having to go to school.

"Hey … who's that fellow? I think I've seen him before," asked Crabbe.

"Who?"

"The bloke sittin' over there in the corner."

Goyle slipped his tongue just under his upper lip as he contemplated the identity of the stranger. "Wait a minute … I know who that is."

He explained that the twitchy wizard in question was a Ministry official by the name of Solomon Priestly and that he was teaching Defense at Hogwarts this year.

"You're winding me up."

"No I'm not. It's true."

"Well then, what the buggery fuck is he doin' sittin' here in a bar on a school night?"

"Who cares."

Crabbe took a couple more sips of his ale, then he set down his tankard as his eyes grew wide with excitement. "Hold on — I just got an idea how we can score some points and maybe get promoted."

"Yeah?" drooled Goyle. "How?"

Crabbe kept one eye on his intended target as he whispered to Goyle, "What do you know about casting an Imperius curse?"

~~~SH~~~

Harry sunk onto the bench and poured himself a cup of coffee.

"Where the hell have you been?" asked Ron.

He swallowed that blessed first sip, "I went for a jog."

It was obvious he'd just come down from the showers as he still smelled of soap and his towel dried hair appeared particularly chaotic.

"Looks like you should have slept in."

"Yeah, well … whatever."

"Nearly Headless Nick was looking for you," said Hermione from behind her edition of The Daily Prophet.

"What did he want?" Harry managed to ask and yawn simultaneously.

"He didn't say." She set down the paper and took a look at him. "Bad night?"

"Couldn't sleep."

Harry had lain awake for hours worrying about Severus. Then when he finally did doze off, he kept having dreams about fortresses and people being put under the Imperious curse.

At least the coffee was strong and he sat in his fog sipping his drink, completely tuning out the chatter around him until a loud clank sounded as Ron dropped his fork.

"Oh no ... Snape's back!"

Harry in turn nearly dropped his coffee as he turned quickly to the front and saw Severus take his seat at the Head Table then begin to survey the room.

He started with his snakes seated at the Slytherin table and then continued slowly scanning the sea of students until he came upon a pair of emerald eyes.

Severus nodded ever so slightly as they held each other's gaze momentarily, but too soon he looked away to Dumbledore as the old wizard moved to stand behind the podium.

"I only did half the homework this weekend!" Ron's voice drew Harry from his preoccupation. "I thought we'd still be having that Slughorn fellow this week."

"You have no one to blame but yourself Ronald," Hermione chastised. "Professor Snape only had the flu. What did you think? That he'd be gone the remainder of the semester?"

"Will you two quiet down," scolded Ginny. "I'm trying to hear what the Headmaster is saying."

"Furthermore," Dumbledore's voice rang out over the loud murmur in the Great Hall, "until Professor Snape has fully regained his strength, he will only be teaching levels five through seven. Professor Slughorn will continue teaching levels one through four."

A wave of chatter filled the room in response to this news but it didn't last long; eventually the students quieted and then turned their attention to their breakfasts — all except for Harry.

He couldn't decide whether he was relieved that Severus was back in one piece, or angry at him for not sending word of his return.

When Severus finished eating, he stood and left via the annex. Harry decided to try and head him off before class started.

"I forgot my workbook up in the tower," he lied as he got up from the bench. "I'll see you in potions."

"But you hardly ate a thing," Hermione protested with concern.

"I'm fine," he called back as he raced down the aisle and out the doorway and around the corner where he promptly ran right through Nearly Headless Nick.

"Ahhhh!" he cried out and cringed from the feeling of deathly cold.

"Oh Harry, I've been looking for you."

"Yeah, so I heard," he snapped back as he tried to shake off the lingering feeling of Nick. "What did you want?"

"Are you upset with me Harry?"

"No, I'm sorry." He then huffed in frustration, "I'm just tired … andI'm in a hurry."

"Very well then," the ghost brightened, "I shan't dally." He looked from side to side, then held onto his head as he leaned forward and whispered in Harry's ear, "The Bloody Baron asked me to tell you that Professor Snape has returned."

"I already know," he said and stared incredulously up at the ghost. "When did he get back?"

"I believe last night."

"And you're only telling me now?"

"But the Baron only told me this morning."

This conversation was quickly giving Harry a headache. "Listen, thanks … but I gotta get going." He turned and raced toward the staircase.

"It was nice running into you," Nick called back cheerily.

~~~SH~~~

When Harry got to the potions room he found the door locked. "Damn."

Maybe he's in his private lab.

He turned to head for Sev's private laboratory but stopped at the sudden appearance of Draco Malfoy and Blaise Zabini coming around the corner. I don't believe this, first Nick and now these two bozos.

"Bit far from home, aren't you? … Potter?"

"Don't start Draco."

The two Slytherins sallied up to stand right in front of Harry. With Draco a good four inches taller than Harry and Blaise an additional five, they easily towered over the black haired Gryffindor.

"We're not starting anything," Draco answered coolly. "We're just curious why you're down here so early." He looked theatrically from side to side, "Where are your cohorts?"

"None of your business."

"Come now Potter, there's no need to be testy," Zabini teased. "We're all friends … right Draco?"

"You're right Blaise," Draco answered in a sing-song voice.

Harry rolled his eyes then made to leave but the two tall teens blocked his exit.

"Not so fast Potter," Draco sneered, "we're not quite finished with you. After all, it isn't often we get you on your own."

"First off Malfoy," Harry said coolly, "you don't haveme, and secondly … just what is it you want?"

"We heard you'd been sick," Draco picked off a stray bit of lint from his robes.

"And that whatever you had was the same thing as the Professor," added Blaise.

"It's rather curious," Draco shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly, "wouldn't you say?"

"I believe overtwould be a better choice of word," Severus's baritone voice cut through the accusation and caused Draco and Blaise to jump about-face in surprise.

"Sir! We didn't hear you," Blaise pleaded.

"Obviously," Severus retorted in a cool tone. "How very disappointing to realize that in one week's time, you two have managed to sink to such a plebeian level."

"Sir … we didn't mean anything by it. We were just having some fun," Blaise continued his defense while alternatively Draco held a stony expression.

Severus returned his godson's hard gaze for a few moments. "On Friday, the two of you will submit a one foot essay on the qualities and attributes of being Slytherin."

Draco and Blaise stood gobsmacked as Severus turned to unlock the door while scatterings of seventh years began to filter down the hallway for class.

All Harry had wanted — no needed, was a moment with Sev to make certain he was okay. But all he'd gotten for his efforts was a morning of frustration.

As soon as the door opened, Harry marched past the tall wizard. "Welcome back Sir," he offered as he headed on into the room to take his seat, red faced and nettled.

~~~SH~~~

Severus started the class by expressing his regret for having missed the past week of classes and then spent ample time driving home the fact that the N.E.W.T.s were fast approaching.

"It is apparent from the notes given to me by Professor Slughorn that you spent the past five days fiddling with extraneous potions." He was still fuming over this matter.

"You're behind schedule now which means we will have to step up our efforts to cover each NEWT potion by the Christmas break."

A silent wave of shock swept through the class as the students began to calculate the added workload which was about to come their way.

"It is imperative that you successfullycomplete each brewing assignment."

Severus began to walk slowly toward the back of the room. "Tell me how one would accomplish this?"

He looked to Draco, "Mr. Malfoy?"

"Make certain to finish the reading assignment before class."

"Correct," Severus had paused while Draco answered the question but now he resumed his pacing, "And what would be sequent to that?"

He turned to Blaise, "Mr. Zabini?"

"Complete the corresponding workbook assignment and have it ready to turn in at the start of class."

"Which all of you should have ready for today."

A few nervous shuffles broke out around the room.

"Pass your workbooks to the front."

No one dared make a sound although a couple of students, Ron included, were inwardly cursing the unexpected early return of Professor Snape.

"What was the assigned potion in the syllabus for today's class?"

The students answered in unison, "The Draught of Living Death."

"Correct." He surveyed the students. Some were squirming in their seats, Hermione was ready to jump out of hers and run to the storage cupboard — but Harry hadn't moved. He was staring hard-faced at his desk, apparently still upset.

"I expect all of you are fully prepared to complete today's assignment." Severus headed toward his desk. "As usual, I will come around and inspect your work as you brew. You may begin."

Nearly ninety minutes later the class was coming to a close. There had been only four failed attempts for which those students would have to come in the following Saturday and stay until they had successfully completed brewing The Draught of Living Death.

Harry had managed to calm down as he turned his concentration to brewing, but he was still angry over the insinuation posed by Malfoy and Zabini.

He looked up and saw that Severus had begun to levitate each student's workbook back to them, including Harry's own which floated into his now awaiting hands.

He opened the book to see his grade and discovered a small note tucked tightly into the seam.

He cautiously removed the small piece of parchment and unfolded it.

centerPlease stay after./i/center

Harry stared at the note debating whether or not to drop it into the draught, but eventually he tucked it into the safety of his pants' pocket.

~~~SH~~~

Staying after didn't work out as easily as Harry had hoped.

First there was Ron. He was livid over the fact that he was one of the four students who had to return Saturday to brew.

"Calm down Ron or you're going to get a detention on top of everything else," cautioned Hermione.

"But I scheduled the pitch for 8:00!" Ron's cheeks were flushed as red as his hair.

"Don't worry, Harry and I will both practice with you this week…"

"I think I'm gonna be pretty busy with training," commented Harry as he watched Sev and Draco exit the lab and go into Severus's office.

"Well that's rich!" leveled Ron. "Where the hell are your priorities?"

Harry had come to the end of his rope. Not only had he been worried all week long, but he'd had a bad night's sleep, ran throughNick and then intoDraco and Blaise. "Maybe I've got my own stuff to deal with! Did you ever think of that?"

"What are you on about?" retorted Ron.

"You two calm down." Hermione glared at the two of them, "I'll work with you, Ron. Harry obviously needs to catch up on the training he missed." She wrapped her arm just a tad low around Ron's waist — that always worked. "With any luck you'll be out on the pitch by 9:30."

Ron leaned into her, "Look mate, I'm sorry. This potions stuff drives me nuts. I wouldn't be taking it if I didn't have to."

Harry sighed, "I'm sorry I blew up."

"Don't worry about it. We all have a lot going on … right?" Just then, Ron's stomach growled. "Come on, let's get lunch."

"You two go, I need to stay and ask the professor about my training."

"Okay, we'll see you in Transfiguration." Ron slung his bag over his shoulder as he and Hermione left for lunch.

Now that everyone else had gone, Harry could hear the conversation in the other room.

"I didn't mean anything by it Severus. Blaise and I were just …"

Suddenly the voices disappeared as Sev, no doubt, must have cast Muffliato.

Not wanting to get caught out and add fuel to Malfoy and Zabini's fire, Harry shoved his book bag under the desk, cast a Disillusionment charm upon himself then moved over to a far corner of the lab to wait for Draco's departure.

He only had to wait a minute or so, for soon Severus and the silver-blond teen came back into the lab. Draco strode determinedly to the door, his jaw hard-set and his gray eyes were glaring, it was obvious that Severus had refused to yield and that Draco was going to have to write that foot long essay.

When the door closed, the tall wizard looked about the room. "Are you here?"

"Yeah, I'm here." Harry released the charm.

Severus watched the young man as his body gradually reappeared.

Teaching the class and then the discussion with Draco had been a drain on Severus. He wanted to rest a bit before the afternoon classes- but he and Harry needed to talk.

"Come with me Harry." He turned and walked through his office and into his private sitting room.

Harry closed the door behind him and saw Severus drink a small vile of something.

"Are you alright Sev?"

He turned to face the concerned teen. The night of his breakdown was still unclear; Severus remembered only bits and pieces of the events that took place but he did remember Harry being there by his side.

Dumbledore had relayed Harry's reaction upon hearing Poppy's diagnosis, and so to see the young man's worried expression now pulled at Severus' heart. "I'm fine. You mustn't worry about me."

That's easy for you to say.

"Would you join me for lunch? We need to talk."

"I'd like that Sir, thank you."

They each took a seat. Severus ordered lunch and then listened as Harry filled him in on his week.

"What about Priestly? Has he given you any more trouble?"

"No. I never see him except in the Great Hall during meals." He took another bite of his roast sandwich which seemed to taste especially good or maybe it was just that he actually had an appetite now that he wasn't worried sick over Severus.

"Sev?"

"Hmm?"

"I need to tell you something."

"What?"

Harry set his plate down on the coffee table and looked pensively at the ebony eyes. "I know it's important never to talk about what happened … and I never will, but you should know that I did talk to Helena about it."

Severus had been about to take a sip of tea. His cup sat poised inches from his lips as he froze at hearing Harry's announcement.

"Please don't be angry. She'll never say anything … cause of that patient confidentiality thing." Harry was speaking quickly now, feeling the need to justify his actions.

"I was so worried … you didn't send any word … I couldn't talk to anyone …

"Harry," Severus interrupted; his voice was slightly raised and it caused Harry to startle into silence.

"I'm not angry. On the contrary, I think that was very wise of you."

Despite his affirmation, his cup rattled on its saucer as he set it down on the table for even though Severus had regained his composure; it didn't take much to rattle his frayed nerves.

His original intention for this discussion with Harry had been to inform the young wizard that he shouldn't hope for more from their relationship than what was already established, even though he himself felt closeness and a bond to the teen.

The fact that Harry had seen into Severus' soul the night of his birthday was bad enough, but now the teen had witnessed his total collapse, watched him completely fall apart, and was privy to his most private moment when he remembered the night of Rosa's death.

It was all too much, too revealing, and Severus felt the need to distance himself.

But sitting here with Harry, being in his presence and seeing his concern and worried expression; Severus' plan of distancing himself went right out the window.

"I also have a confession to make, something I haven't told you."

Harry couldn't begin to think to what Severus might be referring.

"I saw you that night when you spoke to Nearly Headless Nick regarding your Godfather."

The emerald eyes grew wide, "You did? Why didn't you ever tell me? "

"I wasn't certain how you would respond, knowing that I had intruded upon your private moment. I assure you, it wasn't my intent to eavesdrop. I was in Professor Sinistra's office when you entered the classroom — it was simply unavoidable."

"That was such a long time ago," Harry said in a wistful voice and he thought about how different things were now between he and Severus.

Just then the chimes rang to announce the end of the lunch period.

"You'd better hurry or you'll be late for your next class."

They both rose and Harry started to move toward the door but stopped.

He wanted to say how good it felt to just sit and talk with Severus, to tell the man how much he seemed to rely on him now and what a relief it was to have him back safe and sound, but all of that seemed like too much to say so he settled for, "Training this Wednesday?"

Severus sighed and nodded. "Yes Harry … Training this Wednesday."

Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Please take a moment to share your thoughts.