Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry spends his holiday break with Severus at his villa in Tuscany. A nice warm, fuzzy chapter to read over the holidays. Beta'd by the wonderful Willingly Suspend. All rights belong to JKR and the gang.
Chapter 32. Christmas In Tuscany

 

"Tuscany?" Harry asked with disbelief. "But how did I get here? When did I get here?"

Severus helped the teen out of bed and then into his robe. "Late last night," he said as he tied the

sash. "Madame Pomfrey relayed your apprehension regarding the Portkey ..."

 

"So you brought me here while I was asleep?"

 

The tall wizard stepped back, fearing he'd made a mistake. "Are you displeased?"

 

"No, it's not that!" Harry clarified quickly. "I'm just surprised, that's all. Truth is - I'm glad I slept through it, ‘cause I ..." he stopped midsentence, leaving the word hanging.

 

"What were you going to say?"

 

"Nothing," he answered quickly then looked down and added in a whisper, "It was nothing."

 

Severus almost let the matter drop. That would be his norm, not to get involved. But Harry was important to him, he'd finally admitted to that fact and now he'd brought the young man to his home to share Christmas with him. So Severus made a conscious decision then and there not to retreat but to reach out and try to understand what was bothering him.

 

He placed his hand lightly on Harry's good shoulder. "Please, tell me what you were going to say."

 

In the past, Harry had thought that Severus' black eyes were hard like stone, cold and unreadable. But now when he looked up into them, they seemed soft and sincere. "I ... didn't know how to tell you that I was scared about the Portkey. I was afraid what you'd think of me."

 

It was my opinion the worried him most. This realization pulled at Severus' heart. "I don't think poorly of you Harry. On the contrary, I believe that your apprehension is warranted."

 

"So you don't think I'm a coward?"

 

"No, of course not." Then he added lightly, "Accident prone perhaps, but a coward? No."

 

Harry relaxed and laughed softly.

 

"Come. You must be hungry. We'll eat under the pergola."

 

"The what?"

 

Severus lent a supporting arm and helped the teen out through the French doors where Harry stopped promptly in his tracks at the sight that greeted him. "Wow!"

 

He was standing beneath a wooden structure, which Severus identified as the pergola that was totally covered by an old Wisteria, its thick stalks wrapped securely up the supporting beams.

 

From here, Harry could see the rest of the courtyard.

 

There were plants everywhere: purple bougainvillea that climbed up the plastered walls, planter beds filled with mature citrus, blue cape plumbagos, red zonal geraniums, birds of paradise and palm trees.

 

The focal point of the terra-cotta tiled courtyard was a low square-shaped pond that was home to several brightly colored goldfish that darted beneath the water lotus flowers which floated serenely upon the still surface of the water.

 

They sat down at the long wooden table where a feast of foods had been spread out on colorful ceramic plates.

 

"Giano and Phia wanted you to try a traditional Italian breakfast," said Severus.

 

"Who are Giano and Phia?"

 

"My house elves," Severus explained. He then called for the elves who appeared immediately.

 

 "Giano and Phia, this is Harry Potter. He will be my guest for the next few days. You will serve him as you serve me."

 

"Hello," Harry greeted the elves as Severus poured him a caffelatte. "I'm very happy to meet you."

 

The two elves bowed deeply.

 

Severus bid Phia to identify each of the foods on the table: brioche, bomboloni con la crema, panne and marmellata.

 

"Wow, this is like having dessert for breakfast!" Harry extolled as he looked upon all the sweet breads.

 

"Master Severus?" asked Giano.

 

"Hmmm?"

 

"Shall Phia and I get'a le Decorazione natalizie?"

 

The two elves hoped that since their master had brought this young one to the villa, perhaps he'd allow them to retrieve the boxes and boxes of decorations that had been stored away and unopened for decades.

 

"We can have'a them up very quickly Master," added Phia.

 

Severus had been about to take a sip of his cappuccino, but he froze with the cup pressed against his lips.

 

"What's Decorazione natal ... whatever?" asked Harry, trying to remember the Italian words.

 

Severus set down the cup. "Decorazione natalizie is Italian for Christmas decorations."

 

An image Harry had seen the night of his transformation surfaced in his memory; it was of Severus busying himself with paperwork as he sat alone in a barren room on Christmas Day.

 

The teen then realized the dynamic that was occurring and he feared that Severus would start yelling at the elf for being so bold. 

 

Indeed, Severus had been about to reprimand Giano, but he noted Harry's sudden tension and a fleeting memory of a green-eyed boy wearing hole-ridden clothes that were too large surfaced in his mind.

 

He'd seen this during one of their Occlumency lessons, the memory of a young Harry standing off in a dark corner, watching as his Aunt, Uncle and cousin sitting around their Christmas tree, opening their presents.

 

This was the second time in less than an hour that Harry had exhibited feelings of insecurity; Severus decided that it would be the last.

 

"Yes Giano," The wizard's voice was uncharacteristically exuberant. "Retrieve all the decorations and place them about the house."

 

Giano and Phia looked at each other and smiled widely. "Yes Master!" They then disappeared post-haste in happy pursuit of their decorating endeavors.

 

An awkward silence ensued after the elves departed so Harry decided to busy himself with eating. He reached for a bomboloni and took a bite and the delectable taste of the crème filled pastry momentarily nullified his unease. "Wow. This is really good."

 

"I'm glad you like it," Severus said sincerely. He sipped his cappuccino and waited for the teen to finish eating before continuing. "Harry, I apologize if my earlier reticence caused you any unease."

 

Severus' directness caught Harry off-guard. "You could tell?"

 

"Yes, and I'm sorry."

 

"You didn't do anything Severus. It's me. I ... It's just that ..." Harry sighed with exasperation and laid his forehead against his outstretched fingers. "I don't know how to put it all into words."

 

"Then let me try," Severus said softly. "You were uncertain how I would react to Giano's request, whether or not I would be severe with him. And all this talk of holiday decorations caused memories of your own unhappy childhood to surface."

 

 "I guess you know me pretty well."  

 

Severus didn't answer, but instead reached out and gently pulled Harry's hand away from his face. "As you do me."

 

"Tell me Sev, why don't you celebrate Christmas?"

 

The older wizard sighed and leaned back in his chair. "I have no family Harry. And because of my position in the Order and the façade I must live ... Well, it lends itself to a solitary life."

 

Harry looked around the beautiful courtyard and thought about Severus spending year after year, living in the dungeons of Hogwarts. "It's not fair."

 

"You mustn't worry about that." The timbre of the conversation had grown entirely too serious. "Please, I want you to enjoy your visit here. Why don't we finish our breakfast and then I'll give you a tour of the villa. All right?"

 

"I'm sorry." Harry's apology drew an exasperated look from his host. "I mean ... that sounds brilliant!" he said so enthusiastically that Severus actually laughed out loud.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

Harry first wanted to see the roses that Severus talked about so often and even though the plants had lost their leaves for the winter, the garden was still impressive.

 

It was comprised of several planting beds arranged such that they formed a geometric pattern. Each bed housed a small group of roses and was bordered by a tightly clipped boxwood hedge.

 

"Where's your favorite one Sev? The one with the long name."

 

"It's over here." Severus rarely showed his roses to anyone and he was touched that Harry was so interested.

 

They walked over to an allèe formed by a massive, arching rose. "Here she is, Madame Souvenir de Madame Leonet Vionet."

 

"Wow! It's huge!" The teen stared up, clearly impressed. "I wish it was in bloom."

 

"Perhaps you'll see it next summer."

 

Was that an invitation? Harry wondered.

 

They continued on down the length of the allèe. At the end was a tall wooden gate, which Severus opened and bid Harry to step through first.

 

On the other side was yet again another impressive vista: a rolling hillside dotted with gnarled old trees. "These are the olive trees?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Why are there cloths on the ground?"

 

"It's harvest season," Severus explained. "The cloths are placed beneath each tree to protect the fruits when they fall."

 

Harry picked up an olive and took a bite; or at least he tried to, but it was so hard he couldn't bite through. His ensuing grimace caused Severus to chuckle.

 

"They have to be cured first. Come let me show you."

 

They went into the salt house then Severus explained how the olives were to be prepared and packed away to cure.

 

"They are placed into these small wooden boxes, sandwiched between layers of course sea salt. Then the boxes are sealed and ..."

 

A sudden weight pressing against his side caused him to stop mid-sentence. He turned just in time to grab Harry before he fell to the floor, then he helped the swaying teen over to a nearby stool.

 

"Lean forward and rest your head on my shoulder," which Harry did and Severus wrapped his arms around him so that he wouldn't fall. "Now take deep, steady breaths."

 

"It's kind of hard with ... this bandage around my chest."

 

"Do your best," Severus instructed and then waited a minute or so for Harry to collect himself. "Are you feeling better?"

 

"I think so." Harry's voice was very thin. "Guess I overdid it."

 

"It's my fault ..."

 

"It's okay."

 

"You need to lie down and rest. Do you think you can stand?"

 

"Yeah, I'm good."

 

Unfortunately Harry's spirit was stronger than his body for as soon as he did stand up, he passed out completely.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

"I can't believe I passed out," Harry shook his head with embarrassment.

 

He was lying on the spacious bed in the guest bedroom, propped up on numerous pillows and covered with the soft linen duvet he'd felt when he first awoke that morning.

 

"I am so sorry." Severus was also shaking his head, but out of frustration with himself. "I got so caught up with showing you the villa that I forgot all about your condition."

 

"Please don't worry about it. I'm fine."

 

Just then the two elves entered the room levitating dinner trays for each wizard.

 

"I can make it to the table ..." Harry started to pull back his covers.

 

"You no get out of bed!" Phia cut him off. "No until tomorrow!"

 

"Yes Ma'am." Harry yielded and then leaned back as the tray landed on his lap.

 

"Your wine Master." Giano pressed a glass of Primotivo into Severus' hand.

 

"Master?"

 

"Yes Phia."

 

"Ti prego Master, no more long outings for the young one until he's a better," Phia pleaded. Both she and Giano were upset that Harry had been overtaxed on his first day.

 

"Yes Phia," Severus said in a placating tone.

 

"Come Giano," she said softly and they both disappeared.

 

Harry looked questioningly to his host. "Sev?"

 

Severus swallowed a mouthful of the rich red wine. "Hmmm?"

 

"May I ask a question?"

 

"Of course."

 

"Giano and Phia, they ..."

 

"They're a bit bold," Severus finished for Harry.

 

"Yeah, they are. But you don't seem to mind."

 

"Let me explain." He took another sip of wine then set down the glass. "When the villa was passed on to me, I gave both Giano and Phia their freedom but it was their desire to stay here. This has always been their home. They love the villa and wanted to stay to take care of it and serve me, when I am here."

 

"But they call you Master."

 

"They've known me since I was a baby. I suppose that calling me Master Severus just feels familiar."

 

"Huh."

 

"I suggest you start eating before Phia comes back and has words with us."

 

"Yes Sir." Harry felt slightly dazed as he started in on his lasagna and decided that Severus had to be the most misunderstood person he'd ever known.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

When Harry emerged from his bedroom the following day he was amazed at all the decorations.

 

Garlands of evergreens, holly and mistletoe hung from every rafter and railing. All of which had been interlaced with tiny, enchanted fairy lights which showered the rooms in a warm glow.

 

The flower vases boasted large bouquets of Poinsettias, Daphne and Magnolias; cache-pots of white narcissus decorated counters and dresser tops, and sachets of allspice, cloves, and nutmeg were tucked about the place so that their sweet, spicy fragrance filled the air. And in the center of the living room stood the most beautiful Christmas tree Harry had ever seen.

 

He wandered into the kitchen and found Phia busily whipping some cream. "Phia, do you know where Severus is?"

 

"He in his laboratory."

 

"Where's that?"

 

"Past'a the rose garden," answered Giano as he walked into the room. "Too far for you'a to go Harry. You wait'a here."

 

"Listen Giano, I have a letter I need to owl."

 

"Giano can do that'a for you."

 

"And I'm hoping a package will come in a couple of days. If it does, can you make sure Severus doesn't see it?"

 

"No bad, is it Harry?" asked Phia.

 

"No no. It's a present for Sev."

 

"Then Giano and I make'a sure that Master no see it."

 

"Thanks."

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

Harry gradually regained his strength over the following days. His shoulder was still achy, so he continued to use the sling.

 

Severus spent time with the teen every morning.

 

At first, he continued to show him around the villa. Later, when Harry felt stronger, they strolled down to the nearby town of Citivella Maremma.

 

They visited the little shops and ate at the local Tratoria where Harry had his first Tiramisu and he fell immediately in love with the rum soaked, cream filled, chocolate covered cake.

 

In the afternoon Severus would disappear off to his laboratory and leave Harry to rest and read.

 

The day before Christmas, Giano came running out to the pergola where Harry sat working on his assignment for Transfiguration. "It's a here! It's a here!"

 

He handed the package to Harry, who promptly opened it and inspected the contents. "Brilliant! Giano! Is there any wrapping paper? I want to get it wrapped and under the tree before Sev gets back."

 

"Ci, ci! This'a way!"

 

They hurried off toward the kitchen but then turned into a narrow hallway and then down a flight of stairs.

 

"It's all'a down here." Giano informed as he led the teen to the basement.

 

"Here it is Harry. Lots and lots of paper."

 

The paper already forgotten, Harry was mesmerized by the odd little room. Aside from the stacks of crates and boxes, there was a workbench that looked very similar to the one Mr. Weasley had out in the shed where he kept all of his Muggle objects, the only difference being was that this workbench was about half a meter tall.

 

He went over and knelt down to more closely examine the tiny tools spread across its surface. Then his attention was drawn to the collection of pictures hanging on wall behind the workbench.

 

"Are these your family?"

 

"Ci, ci! Mine and Phia's."

 

He scanned the several photographs of elves but he stopped when his eyes fell upon a familiar face. "I've seen this face before."

 

Giano hurried over to see who Harry was pointing to. "Oh." His voice sounded suddenly sad. "That was'a my sister, Rosa."

 

Harry gasped and turned to Giano. "Rosa was your sister?"

 

"Ci," he said then wiped away a stray tear. "She died many years ago."

 

"I know."

 

"You do?"

 

Harry nodded. "She meant a lot to Severus."

 

"That's a why I only keep her picture down'a here. I can see her while I work." He smoothed back what little hair he had. "But Master Severus, he never come'a down to the basement."

 

The little elf looked imploringly to Harry. "You no tell him that her picture is'a here."

 

"I won't Giano," Harry said as he wiped away his own unexpected tear. "I promise."

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

Harry and Severus stayed up quite late on Christmas Eve. They sat next to the fire in the living room where the lights had been dimmed, except for the ones on the Christmas tree and the fairy lights, making the room look nearly enchanted.

 

They sipped on Port as they talked and shared experiences: their recollections from their childhood Christmases, the recent incident with Priestly, Harry wanted to know Severus' opinion on Muggle relations and where the Fastness might be. Severus finally asked Harry how it had felt when the Dark Lord had possessed him and what it was like live among Muggles.

 

But the most intimate moments had come when they spoke of relationships.

 

"Do you ever hear from Anthony's family?"

 

"We kept in touch at first. But ... it's been months since I've heard from them."

 

Severus paused a moment before he asked, "Did he ever wake up?"

 

Harry bit his lips and shook his head slowly.

 

"I'm so sorry," Severus said sincerely as he felt his eyes burn and a tightness grow inside his chest.

 

"What about you Sev?"

 

"About me?"

 

"How come you're all alone?"

 

"I told you why." He took a sip of his port, "My duties and such."

 

"But isn't there anyone ... special?"

 

Severus sat a long while, debating whether or not to tell Harry the truth. "There was someone ... a long time ago."

 

"Do you still see her?"

 

Only in my dreams.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

Harry slept late the next morning; the sound of birds chirping outside finally roused him from his deep slumber.

 

He sat up and rubbed his aching head. "Oh, that Port." After a few moments it finally dawned on him that this was Christmas and so he dragged himself out of bed, tidied himself up and made his way to the living room.

 

Severus wasn't there but the wonderful smells wafting from the kitchen gave him a clue as to where he would be.

 

"Ah Harry! You finally awake!" announced Giano when the teen entered the kitchen.

 

"Morning," he said sleepily. "Oh ... Happy Christmas."

 

"And a Happy Christmas to you'a Harry."

 

"Where's Severus?"

 

"In his'a laboratory."

 

"Come'a sit," directed Phia. "Drink'a your latte. You look like'a you need it."

 

Harry slumped into one of the table chairs and gratefully began to sip the coffee.

 

After a few minutes they all heard the front door open and the sound of footsteps heading toward the living room.

 

"There's Master Severus a'now."

 

Moments later the tall wizard appeared in the kitchen doorway. "Good morning Harry. Happy Christmas."

 

"Happy Christmas Sev," he said through a yawn.

 

"Are you ready to open presents?"

 

"Um ... sure." he said caught off guard, and then had to catch up with Severus who was already on his way to the living room.

 

Most of the gifts were for Harry: a jumper knit by Mrs. Weasley, a book from Hermione and an assortment Honey Dukes candies from Ron.

 

But there was one very small, elegantly wrapped present, which Severus seemed to pluck from nowhere and then hand to Harry.

 

"Happy Christmas Harry."

 

"Thanks Sev." He couldn't imagine what it might be, it was so small.

 

Harry carefully unwrapped the box then lifted the lid to reveal two petite vials of clear liquid. He looked to Severus for clarification. "What are they?"

 

"Visum Perfusio serum. I began doing research for it those days I stayed with you last summer after your transformation. I continued to develop and refine the serum over the past few months and it's what I've been working on in laboratory every afternoon while we've been here."

 

Harry couldn't believe Severus would go to such lengths for him. "Wow."

 

"It's for your eyes Harry. It will correct your myopia."

 

"Are you serious? You mean I won't have to wear glasses anymore?"

 

"That's right. No more glasses."

 

"Oh my God." Harry was stunned. "I don't know what to say."

 

"You don't need to say a thing. This is my gift to you."

 

"Oh Sev."

 

"Are you ready? It will be rather uncomfortable while the serum makes the corrections, so I want to place a sleeping charm on you.

 

"How long will I be out?"

 

"Just an hour or so."

 

"Okay. But first you have to open your present."

 

"Mine?"

 

Harry retrieved the oddly shaped present from behind the tree and handed it to this man who was fast becoming a dear friend. "It isn't Visum Perfusio or anything; it's just something I thought you might like."

 

Severus carefully pulled away the wrappings and gasped softly when the gift was revealed.

 

"Muggle pruning shears," he whispered. "You remembered." He began to handle and examine the curious tool. "But how did you manage ...?"

 

"I have my sources," Harry said and smiled with relief, for it was evident that Severus was more than pleased.

 

"This is the most thoughtful gift anyone has ever given me. Thank you."

 

Severus looked up and Harry was surprised to see a hint of tears in the ebony eyes.

 

"I want to thank you for inviting me for Christmas. I've had the best time here with you."

 

Severus wanted to tell Harry how wonderful it had been having him there at the villa. It was as if his young spirit had breathed life into the house and to all their hearts. But he knew all of that would make the teen feel uncomfortable, so he settled for, "You're welcome Harry. I too have enjoyed our time together."

 

He set down the shears then lifted the box of serum from Harry's hand. "Now let's go fix your eyes."

 

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed this chapter.
It was a sort of Christmas present from me to you.
Happy holidays everyone.
Hugs, SHaria
Note: Ti prego is Italian for 'I beg you.' (at least according to the source I read on Google :)