Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry struggles with Remus, NEWTs, and some unexpected run-ins. Beta'd by the fabulous Willingly Suspend.
Chapter 33. The Process of Percepion, part 1
 

 

The Portrait of the Fat Lady swung open unexpectedly just as Harry was about to give the password.

 

"Harry!"

 

"Hi Neville."

 

"Where are your glasses?"

 

"Oh. I ... got my eyes fixed over the holiday break. It was sort of a Christmas present."

 

"Really?"

 

"Yeah," he said and smiled inwardly over Severus' awesome gift. "Did you have a good holiday?"

 

As soon as the words left his mouth, Harry wanted to kick himself for forgetting that Neville and his Gran always spent Christmas in the Long Term Ward at St. Mungos.

 

But instead of a forlorn look, Neville beamed, "Yeah, it was great."

 

"It was?" Harry asked incredulously.

 

"Yeah, Luna and her Dad came for the holidays. My Gran and Mr. Lovegood really hit it off. We went all over London to see the decorations, then on Christmas Day we visited my folks and ..." He paused and looked earnestly at Harry. "Luna is so amazing."

 

She is? "Why? What did she do?"

 

"You've seen my folks; you know what it's like."

 

"Yeah, I know," Harry said softly.

 

"None of that bothered Luna ... or her Dad. They chatted with my parents like they were normal folks. It didn't matter to them that they were the only ones doing the talking."

 

It occurred to Harry as he listened to Neville that his demeanor had changed somehow. Instead of his usual unease, he now had an easy manner and an air of self confidence.

 

"We took turns," Neville continued. "Gran and Mr. Lovegood talked to my Dad while Luna and I stayed with my Mum, then we switched. You know, Luna is always kind of in her own world anyway, so I think somehow she can relate to my Mum." He quirked his face, knowing that perhaps his explanation was lacking.

 

"Don't worry Nev; I understand what you're trying to say."

 

"Hallo Harry," Luna said in her singsong voice as she approached from down the hallway. "You look much better without your glasses," she said and wrapped her arm around Neville who leaned down and gave her a sweet kiss.

 

"Thanks. I hear you had a good holiday."

 

"Oh yes, London is marvelous in snow, and Neville's parents are a delight. Have you seen Mrs. Longbottom's hat?"

 

"Uh ..." the memory of the Boggart imitating Severus dressed in Mrs. Longbottom's clothes immediately sprang to mind.

 

Neville saw the curious expression on Harry's face and came to his rescue. "Come on Luna, let's go down to dinner; I'm starving."

 

"All right." She turned her protuberant silvery gray eyes on Harry, "Would you care to join us?"

 

"I'll catch up with you later. There's some stuff I gotta do."

 

He watched the two lovebirds head off arm in arm and was filled suddenly with an empty feeling as memories of intimate times with Anthony flirted across his mind.

 

He turned away and climbed the stairs to his dormitory only to find a tie hanging on the door knob. Not again.

 

"Who's ever in there!" He knocked on the door. "I'm sorry, but I need to come in and get my ..."

 

The door flung open to the sight of a thoroughly disheveled Hermione. "Harry!" she squealed and wrapped him in a big hug.

 

He cringed backward, "Mione - your blouse."

 

"Oops," she did up the top couple of buttons as Harry skirted around her and headed for his trunk.

 

"Where've you been?" Ron asked as he tucked in his shirt. "We looked for you."

 

"Infirmary. Madam Pomfrey wanted to check me out as soon as I ..."

 

"Harry," interrupted Hermione. "What happened to your glasses?"

 

He looked at each of them and smiled broadly. "Sev fixed my eyes."

 

"What d'you mean?" asked Ron.

 

"I don't need to wear glasses anymore!"

 

"You're kidding," Ron said in disbelief.

 

"How did he do it?" asked Hermione.

 

Harry told them all about the Visum Perfusio serum and that Severus had worked for almost two years to develop it. "But you can't tell anyone; it's a secret. Just like my going to Italy is a secret. If anyone asks - I had to stay in the infirmary over the holiday break and Madame Pomfrey fixed my eyes while I was there."

 

"Speaking about Pomfrey, what did she say?" asked Ron.

 

"About?"

 

"You, you dolt. Can you start playing? We have a game weekend after next."

 

"Oh yeah, I'm fine."

 

"Brilliant!" Ron beamed. "This is gonna be a bloody brill season!"

 

"Ron, aren't you forgetting something?" Hermione said in a pedantic tone. "We still have our NEWTs."

 

"Mioneee," Ron's cheeks started to flush. "Why do you always...?"

 

"Come on you two." Harry cut in. "Let's go eat." Being with Ron and Hermione had lifted his spirits and he was determined to keep it that way. After all, he'd just had the best Christmas of his life, he didn't have to wear his glasses anymore and he got the okay to resume playing Quidditch. What could go wrong?

 

"Oh Harry, in all the excitement about your glasses, I forgot to tell you," announced Hermione as they climbed out the porthole.

 

"Tell me what?"

 

"Remus was looking for you."

 

"Wha...?" Amidst his Christmas reverie and his now stellar eyesight, Harry had forgotten all about Remus' return to Hogwarts. "When did you see him?"

 

"He was out front greeting the students as they got off the carriages."

 

"Yeah," added Ron. "He said the two of you needed to talk."

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

Harry hovered on the periphery of students gathered around Remus as they warmly greeted their favorite Defense teacher. The first DADA class of the spring semester had just finished and despite the pop quiz he'd given them, they were all delighted at his unexpected return. After all, he had arguably been the best Defense teacher they'd had during their seven-year tenure at Hogwarts.

 

"The skills portion is only half of the test," he had reminded the seventh years regarding their fast approaching NEWTs. "The purpose of today's exam is to let me see how well you know the material and which areas need attention. On Thursday we will begin reviewing the skills portion."

 

Harry watched the relaxed banter between Remus and the teens; the easy comradery was in complete opposition to what he felt.

 

The hazel eyes fell upon him for a brief second. Next thing Harry knew, Remus was bidding farewell to the throng and soon they stood facing each other in silence.

 

"Thank you for staying," Remus finally said.

 

"Sure."

 

"I wish we could have spoken sooner ..."

 

Harry just bit his lips.

 

"How are you feeling?" Remus tipped his head and looked toward Harry's shoulder.

 

"Oh that. It's fine."

 

Remus shifted uncomfortably, "I'm sorry that happened to you; it must have been a horrific experience ..."

 

"Yeah, I wouldn't recommend Portkeying into wards." Harry forced a swallow.

 

"Of course not." Another fat silence ensued. "I'm glad you agreed to rejoin the class," Remus rallied.

 

"Yeah me too, except I don't know how well I did on today's test; I haven't been spending much time on the written material ... just the skills."

 

"I won't be scoring today's test; I just need the results as a basis of reference."

 

The chasm between them was so vast- as much as Remus wanted to reach out to Harry, he felt tethered by his previous failings. But Harry was James's son, Sirius' godchild and as much as Remus was hobbled by his own challenges, he did care about the young man and wished with all his heart that things could be different between them. "Is everything all right Harry?"

 

The fact that Remus was standing here after months of absence, suddenly concerned about Harry's wellbeing, didn't make any sense whatsoever. So no, everything wasn't all right. "Yeah, everything's fine."

 

Remus forced a supportive smile. "Well, if you ever need to talk to someone, please know that I'm  ... available."

 

Harry's heart nearly stopped at hearing those words. That was exactly what Anthony had said to him, so long ago, that day they'd sat on the bench in the boys' locker room.

 

It suddenly seemed very hard to take a breath. "Okay, I'll remember that." He shifted about uncomfortably, "I uh ... need to get going."

 

"Of course." That wasn't quite the response Remus had been hoping to hear. "See you later then."

 

"Yeah ... see ya."

 

Harry grabbed his bag and bolted out of the room.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

Ron trudged with weary across the front lawn as he weaved his way through the crowd of students that had filtered outside after finishing their last NEWT.

 

 "Bloody hell," he said and collapsed in a heap next to Hermione.

 

She grasped his hand. "How do you think you did?"

 

"Dunno." He slid his free hand up her back and then let it settle back down upon the curve of her hip. "That test was a bear."

 

"Well at least we're finished," she tried to pacify him. "Now all we have to do is to wait for the results."

 

Hermione leaned against the tall red-head and laid her head on his shoulder. "It's hard to believe we'll be leaving Hogwarts in a couple months."

 

"Aren't you excited?" Ron kissed her lightly.

 

"Of course I am."

 

"And I can't wait for us to share that flat in London. It's gonna be a blast! Right Harry?"

 

Harry was sitting just a couple feet away, staring out at the Great Lake. "What?"

 

"I said ... we're gonna have a blast in London."

 

"Oh yeah ... right."

 

"What's wrong with you?"

 

The green-eyed teen pulled a small missive from his book-bag and handed it to his friends then busied himself by toying with a few blades of grass while Ron and Hermione read the note from Dumbledore.

 

"Why do you think he wants to see you?" asked Hermione.

 

"No idea."

 

"Did you ask Snape?" asked Ron. "Maybe he knows."

 

"I haven't had a chance."

 

"Don't worry mate, probably he just wants to talk you again about your security during Auror School."

 

"Maybe," Harry said in a whisper, but his gut told him there was something more.  

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

"Oh, oh ..."

 

"Oh, oh what?" Ron leaned over to inspect Hermione's copy of The Daily Prophet, thinking that her comment was in reference to an article. "Don't tell me You Know Who has started blowing up Embassies again."

 

"No, it's nothing like that." She pointed down the aisle between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables. "Look at Harry."

 

Ron leaned back on the bench to get a better view and saw Harry walking towards him with a hard set expression.

 

"His meeting with the Headmaster must not have gone well; I wonder what he said to him?"

 

"We'll find out soon enough," Ron replied as he moved over quickly.

 

Harry squeezed in between his two best friends and let out a huff.

 

Everyone sitting nearby looked on with curiosity. Neville poured him a cup of tea, "Here Harry, have some of this."

 

"Thanks Nev ..." He took a sip then set the cup down so hard that it landed with a thud.

 

"So ... ah, what did the Headmaster want?" asked Ron a tad cautiously.

 

"They want to hold a graduation ceremony this year," Harry replied, staring at his drink.

 

"What ... for us?" asked Ron.

 

"Yyyyeeepppp."  The way Harry said it, he made the word sound as if it had three syllables.

 

Ron shrugged his shoulders. "I wonder why they want to do one this year?"

 

"Probably because Harry is graduating," Hermione reasoned. "I'm right, aren't I?"

 

The teen bit his lips and nodded. "It's the Minister's idea. He's gonna be there and have the press come and do a big article and take pictures."

 

"I can just see the headlines," Ron raised his hand and moved it in a slow arc. "BOY WHO LIVED FINISHES HOGWARTS - NOW READY TO TAKE ON ‘YOU KNOW WHO'."

 

"That's not the worst part."

 

"What could be worse than that?" asked Ginny with a grimace.

 

"I have to give a speech," Harry said, feeling a tad nauseous, "titled ‘Grasping the Future'."

 

Now everyone grimaced, all save for Hermione.

 

"Oh, I think this is a marvelous idea."

 

"Have you gone mental?" asked Ron as Harry stared at her in disbelief.

 

"No, think of it, everyone listening to Harry talk about determination and not giving in to Voldemort."

 

The several individuals who had been listening in on the conversation cringed in unison.

 

"It would be an inspiration," she finished encouragingly.

 

"But Mione, I've never done anything like that ... given a speech. Getting up and talking to a crowd of people ... I don't know. Besides, what am I gonna say?"

 

"I'll help you write it, if you want."

 

Walking down from the Headmaster's Tower, Harry had thought about approaching Hermione for help with the speech, but the fact that she had offered saved him the embarrassment of asking, "You will?"

 

"Of course, silly."

 

"All right then," Harry sighed with relief and he felt, for the first time since he'd been given the daunting task, as though he could finally take a breath. "Thanks Mione."

 

"Just leave it to me," she got that look on her face as she conjured a piece of paper and began the outline of topics. "Let's see, we should open with ..."

 

"You're going to have to save that for later," interrupted Ron as he tossed a piece of toast and some bangers onto Harry's plate.

 

"Why?" asked Hermione.

 

Ron nodded to the swarm of students leaving the Great Hall. "The match is gonna start in less than an hour and I wanna get good seats."

 

The match between Hufflepuff and Slytherin was the second to last in the Quidditch series. As things stood, Gryffindor and Slytherin were nearly neck and neck in points, so a Hufflepuff win would work to Gryffindor's advantage. And aside from the needed points, everyone was looking forward to this match after the intensity of the OWLS and NEWTs. With the end of year exams less than a month away, this Saturday of Quidditch was just the respite the students needed.

 

"You have a point." She vanished the paper. "Bring that with you Harry; Ron's right, we need to get going."

 

"That's okay, I'm not hungry." He rose from off the bench to join Ron, leaving his food untouched. But, knowing that Harry's hunger would probably catch up with him sometime during the match, Hermione shrank the food and put it in her purse to bring with her.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

A thermal of warm air rose up the side of the castle and brushed past Remus' face, mussing his hair as he leaned his head out the open window and listened to a throng of cheers rising up from the distant pitch.

 

He had wanted to attend the match- not only was the close point count making this year's series a thrilling one, but the events of the game might afford light topics of conversation for he and Harry to discuss.

 

It was May and in the past four months, Remus had made very little headway with regards to Harry. Soon the year would be over and the young wizard would move on with his adult life. What chance would Remus have then to bridge the cavernous gap that had grown between them?

 

"Ready Professor?" Hagrid's booming voice startled Remus from his thoughts.

 

"Not quite," he closed the window then brushed back his hair. "Please come in, I'll be ready in a moment."

 

The half-giant squeezed through the doorway.

 

"My apologies, I was lost in thought," Remus offered as he walked over and took up the goblet containing the Wolfsbane potion, the characteristic blue smoke wafting inches above the rim.

 

"Don't you never mind. I'm in no hurry," Hagrid said cheerily. "Fang is right happy tis full moon t'night. He enjoys yer company, he does."

 

Remus chuckled lightly, "And I his." He drank the potion then set down the goblet. "I want to thank you again, for taking me in and watching over me when ..."

 

"Now, now Professor ... don't yuh nev'r mind. Yer right behaved when yuh take that potion, no problem at'll. 

 

"Well, at least there's that," he answered with a halfhearted grin. "I suppose I'm ready to go now."

 

"Then let's git to er'," Hagrid offered optimistically.

 

The two wizards exited the castle and made their way toward the stone cabin.

 

It had been Dumbledore's idea for Remus to spend full moons with Hagrid and Fang. As long as he took the Wolfsbane potion, he was able to retain his intelligence while in his werewolf form and needed only a safe place to stay where he wouldn't feel threatened.

 

Hagrid and Lupin had started to descend the steps cut into the hillside, when they heard a roar of cheers rise up from the crowd-filled distant pitch.

 

"Rubius, you're close to Harry ... aren't you?"

 

"Oh yeah," he replied in his booming voice. "But I don't see him as much as when he were a young'n. Guess he's busy with this n' that," he finished a tad wistfully.

 

"I'm afraid I ..." Remus' voice trailed off.

 

"Go on," Hagrid encouraged.

 

"I have trouble communicating with him. I don't know where to start."

 

They'd reached the cottage and Hagrid opened the door for Lupin to enter. Fang immediately came bounding over and nearly knocked Remus off his feet.

 

"Hello Fang," he said softly.

 

"Av' a seat there n' I'll make us some tea, then we'll av' ourselves a nice chat." Hagrid placed the kettle on the stove, "Ya shouldn't worry so much Professor; them teenagers ... they're just a hard lot t'figure out."

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

Severus levitated the last cauldron into the cupboard then looked about the lab. All seemed to be in order.

 

The special request from the Dark Lord had required an entire night of brewing and had now made the Head of House late for his duties at Hogwarts. The match between Slytherin and Hufflepuff was about to get underway and he was hard pressed to return to the castle as quickly as possible.

 

"Our Lord will see you now."

 

The house elf's squeaky voice surprised Snape and he turned with a start only just in time to see the small creature vanish.

 

 "Now what can he want?" Severus sighed.

 

Moments later, he stood before the closed doors of the large reception hall. When they opened he began his bow but paused at the sight of Lucius Malfoy who, as he walked past, chanced a brief glance of warning; his focused expression and occluded mind were signals for Severus to be on his guard.

 

"Do come in," the Dark Lord's silky voice glided across the vast hall.

 

Severus took a brief moment to scan the room then lowered his eyes and approached the dais. "My Lord called for me?"

 

Voldemort did not respond, but instead stood in silence as he regarded the man kneeling before him.

 

In his vast army of Death Eaters, only a select handful had proven themselves worthy to be ranked at an elevated status, awarded with assignments requiring intellect rather than brawn. The majority were relegated to the continual attacks against the Muggles and Mudbloods, while this small echelon carried out assignments of espionage, spying and intelligence.

 

Severus was among this elite group and his appointment to spy upon Dumbledore and Potter, Voldemort's two worst enemies, put the statuesque wizard at an even higher designation, leaving him literally no margin for error in the performance of his duties.   

 

 "Tell me Severus, if perhaps there is any bit of information you may have forgotten to report to me?"

 

Severus's heart skipped a beat, "Regarding ...?"

 

"Do not play games with me," his tone of voice hinted at danger.

 

"I would never do such a thing. I am, however, at a loss as to what my Lord is referring," he kept his eyes fixed upon the floor.

 

Voldemort paced his approach, "Not what, but whom."

 

Severus' silence only irked the evil wizard.

 

"What is your mission, Death Eater?"

 

"To report to my Lord, matters dealing with Potter, Dumbledore and the Order." Severus recited his assignment verbatim.

 

"Exactly."

 

Severus searched his mind behind his wall of Occlusion. What was it the Dark Lord wanted? What had he overlooked? "If my Lord would only clarify ..."

 

Before he could finish his sentence, a blast of pain ripped through Severus' entire being. It was as if every part of him had suddenly been set on fire.

 

The pain lasted a few moments and then stopped suddenly, but somehow in that brief period of time Severus had been thrown to the opposite side of the room. He lay crumpled on his side, shaking uncontrollably.

 

"I ask you once again, what news of Harry Potter have you not yet reported to me?"

 

So this was about Harry. But there was so much regarding the young wizard that was being kept secret: his enormous powers, his training, not to mention the closeness that had developed between he and the boy.  

 

"Please my Lord," Severus could barely get the words out, "I have ... reported all valid information ... regarding ..."

 

"Stop!" Voldemort commanded. "You said valid information."

 

 "Yes ... my Lord," Severus managed between his panting breaths.

 

 Voldemort walked over and knelt down beside his crumpled servant, "Then I shall rephrase my question." He reached out and slid his fingers down the length of Severus' hair. "Is there any information regarding Harry Potter that that is not yet validated?"

 

In that instant, what had been many choices were now narrowed to one. "There are discussions ... as to his ... living arrangements ... once he finishes school."

 

Voldemort tightened his grip on the ebony length and pulled it to lift Severus' face into view. "Continue," he hissed.

 

Severus ground out the preliminaries regarding Scrimgeour's plan of furnishing Harry with an apartment near Ministry Headquarters, protected by a Fidelius charm, for him to use while attending Auror School.

 

"And you chose to withhold this information?" He abruptly let go of Severus' hair then hit him with another round of the Cruciatus curse.

 

Severus lay writhing upon the floor in agony as Voldemort began to stride about the room, livid over this monumental disappointment in one of his key servants. But he needed answers.

 

"Where is the location of this apartment?" he asked after abruptly ending the curse.

 

Even though the curse had ended, all of Severus' nerves still felt as though they were on fire, a bonus gift from the Cruciatus. "There is no... preliminary ... all conjecture," he gasped for air. "Nothing decided. Potter does not want ...  refuses to ... has other plans."

 

"What other plans? Tell me now!"

 

But the Dark Lord would have to wait for his answer as Severus succumbed to the pain and lost consciousness. 

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

Oh some are fond of Spanish wine, and some are fond of French,

 And some'll swallow tay and stuff fit only for a wench;

 

Remus whined with exasperation as Fang placed a paw over the top of his head.

 

But I'm for right Jamaica till I roll beneath the bench,

 Says the old, bold mate of Henry Morgan.**

 

Hagrid tipped forward and hiccupped when his chair came down hard on the wooden planked floor. 

"Tis a right fine song," another hiccup. "Ready fer another?"

 

Remus sat up, raised his muzzle to the air and howled in protest; Fang slunk off to hide behind the bed.

 

"All right, another un a comin up. But first I have to drain my lizard."

 

The half giant staggered to the door, "Now you two be good ‘n don't move till I get back." He unlocked the padlock, pulled back the bolt, and then started down the few front steps. 

 

A clatter of noise drew the werewolf's attention and he padded over to investigate. Using his snout to push the door back open, he saw Hagrid sprawled on the grass with a smile upon his face - passed out cold.

 

Suddenly, a strange growling screech emanated from the nearby edge of the Forbidden Forest, followed by what sounded like a human cry.

 

He cast his canine eyes over the area where he thought the sound had emanated and saw faint movements just past the tree line.

 

Part of him, his human side, knew he should stay right where he was, but the wolf felt challenged.

 

Fang crept out from around the corner of the bed and whined to his friend not to go.

 

Remus snarled in response, telling the enormous dog to go back to the corner and mind his own business.

 

His curiosity peaked and the temptation too great to ignore, Remus trotted down the steps and then cantered off toward the Forbidden Forest.

 

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

**The last verse from Captain Stratton's Fancy, by John Masefield

Chapter End Notes:
Sorry this chapter took so long; I really struggled with it. And sorry for the cliff hanger but no fears, the next chapter is already written and just waiting to be beta'd. I hope you enjoy this one. Hugs, SHaria