Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Here finally is chapter 39. Sorry this has taken so long. If wasn't for lack of effort; this chapter is very complicated and it took more than a few attempts to get all the details worked out, then add to that the editing - but alas, here it is. Thanks to Willingly Suspend for her expert editing, her honesty and her patience with me. All rights belong to JKR and the gang.
Chapter 39. The Storm

 

Dumbledore stood on a precipice and studied the Fastness before him. It was bathed in a golden light from the setting sun and the old wizard studied the structure with such scrutiny that it seemed he was communicating with the ancient edifice.

 

The waters of the river below swirled and barreled on by, yet he seemed unaware of its enormous roar or of the rising mist and how it seeped into his robes and clung to his beard.

 

Dobby had chosen to remain behind his shield of evergreens, having shrunk back when the old wizard stepped past the forest's edge and out into the open to get a better view.

 

What if the evil one is watching? worried the little elf as he pulled nervously on his ear. There are being many windows; is he not seeing the windows?

 

But Dumbledore was not concerned with being caught by Voldemort - for it was he the old man had come to see.

 

"Dobby, I'd like for you to escort me ... there," he said and pointed to the north end of top-most floor, his voice casual, as though he were selecting a biscuit to accompany his afternoon tea. "Can you do that?"

 

"Yes," his voice quivered. "Dobby can be bringing the Headmaster to wherever he is wishing."

 

"Excellent. Let us make haste, then please return to the castle and show the other elves how to locate this place."

 

"Yes Headmaster, Sir," Dobby agreed as he reluctantly stretched out his arm. They clasped hands and in a fleeting moment, Dumbledore was brought through the wards and into the Fastness.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~  

 

Severus stirred in precise strokes as he added a measure of Asphodel to the innocent looking, lavender liquid. When he finished, he stepped back to appraise the draught and was satisfied; the color and consistency looked exactly as they should.

 

Severus sighed with relief, he sighed from exhaustion and he sighed with worry over Harry, his whereabouts and his well being.

 

The Potions Master/Spy had worked on the modified draught for most of the afternoon, having begun immediately following the morning's dramatic events. Avery had returned with the news of Harry's apparent escape, Voldemort then ordered a thorough search of the Fastness and the surrounding area; he had dealt harshly with the senior Death Eater, who now lay decapitated on the floor of the Throne Room.

 

Mistakenly believing that it was one of his own House Elves that had helped the boy, the evil wizard had sent Lestrange and Dolohov to round up the poor creatures and interrogate them.

 

"But I have a special assignment for you, Severus," he'd said through a hiss. "You shall prepare a vial of Draught of Living Death and have it ready for when the boy is found."

 

Voldemort had spoken softly though he seethed with anger. "I was going to kill the boy and be done with him, but now ..." His red eyes gazed off into his mind's eye, "Now I wish to toy with him, and torture him." His narrow nares flared slightly, "By the time I am finished with him, he'll beg for death."

 

"Yes, my Lord." Severus had bowed and retreated to the Laboratory to begin his work and upon his arrival, he'd first checked the storage cupboard and then sighed when he found it empty save for the myriad of jars stacked uniformly on each shelf.

 

For Severus had instructed Dobby that if he was unable to pass through the wards, he was to bring Harry here to hide. The fact that the duo was not here gave him hope that the elf had indeed been successful.

 

Even so, in the event that all had gone awry, Severus decided to modify the draught so that its effect would be short lived and less severe.

 

Now early evening, the sun had started its decent as Severus stepped back up to the worktable and began to pour the delicate draught into a small vial. When he did so - a sudden and tremendous explosion rocked the giant fortress and caused him to drop the precious cargo.

 

"Ahhh!" he cried out as he watched the ruined draught pool on the worktable and turn the color of steel blue. "It's ruined!"

 

Another powerful tremor rumbled the fortress and shook him from his frustration. "What in Merlin's name ...?"

 

He moved to the door, opened it a crack and saw a burst of wand fire emanate from a lower level. Leaning further out, he saw Remus and Arthur Weasley dueling two on one with Yaxley. There was another rumble, but this time he was able to discern its origin: the Dark Lord's chambers one floor above.

 

Severus closed the door, leaned back and stared at the opposite wall as he analyzed what he'd just seen and heard. Obviously the plan had been a success: the elf had rescued Harry then returned with the Aurors and the Order ... and Dumbledore, for no one but he, Harry and the Dark Lord could conjure such power as to cause the mighty Fastness to shake upon its foundation.

 

And in that moment, Severus realized that he was faced with a decision: carry on with his Death Eater impersonation or reveal his true allegiance. The choice was clear; he slipped out the door and, leaving the skirmishes below to be fought by those already engaged, he scaled the steps to aid his old friend and mentor.

 

He reached the fourth floor. Clearly it had not fared well in the backlash of the torrential battle: pictures hung askew, fragments of furniture protruded through the walls while shards of broken mirrors and glass littered the floor.

 

When he turned a far corner, he saw the flashes of wand fire coming from an open doorway ahead. He moved toward it and slipped into the room unnoticed by the two powerful wizards, locked in their unyielding battle.

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

Dumbledore had matched his opponent blow for blow but he was old and his strength was beginning to fail. He felt a sudden pressure in his chest that overwhelmed him and he had to grab a hold of the mantle for support.

 

Voldemort noted the subtle movement. "You should have stayed at Hogwarts, old man."

 

"Do I detect ... a note of concern Tom?" A jab of pain ripped through his chest, front to back and he instinctively clutched his free arm, the one holding his wand, to it.

 

Voldemort saw his opportunity and raised his wand, "Avada Ke ..."

 

"Sectumsempra!"

 

Severus' spell hit the evil wizard, severing his left arm just above the elbow.

 

It fell the floor with a thud as Voldemort shrieked in pain and shock. "Traitor!"

 

Blood spurted from his stump as the Dark Lord whirled with ire, for he already knew the identity of his attacker by the signature of his spell.

 

Before Severus could get off another curse, Voldemort lashed out with a wave of pure magic. The blast of energy burst across the room, blowing out walls and windows and sending Severus flying. 

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

"What the ...?" asked Harry when he, Hermione and Dobby finally arrived at the Fastness.

 

They were in a very small room, the walls of which were lined with jars of potion ingredients.

 

"A store room?" asked Hermione. "This is the safe place?"

 

"Yes," answered Dobby a bit defensively. "This is where the professor is telling Dobby to be bringing Harry Potter if Dobby is not being able to pass through the wards."

 

"Oh Sev," Harry whispered, moved by Severus' efforts to safeguard his welfare.

 

"Maybe he's in the laboratory," Hermione suggested hopefully. "Use your Dark Detector."

 

"Good idea," Harry said and pulled out the gift Severus had given him two Christmases past and pressed it to the door. It was silent and so he opened the door a crack and peered out cautiously; the laboratory appeared empty. "Sev?"

 

They waited expectantly but were greeted with only silence.

 

"No one's here," whispered Hermione. "Come on, let's go."

 

They crept cautiously out of the storage room and into the laboratory.

 

"Look over here," she pointed to puddle of draught and went over to investigate. "It's not like the professor to leave a mess."

 

"Something must have happened," said Harry as he reached his hand toward the nearby cauldron. "This is still warm. He must have just been here."

 

"Be careful," she cautioned after taking a whiff. "Don't get any of the potion on you."

 

"Why?"

 

"I smell Asphodel, but something's off, if it weren't for the color I'd say ..."

 

A strong tremor shook the building. It was followed by another and then another.

 

Harry's heart began to race as the tremors awoke an unpleasant memory of the time he witnessed the duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort. "Dobby, do you know if the Headmaster is here?"

 

"Yes," the little elf's voice trembled with fear. "He is asking Dobby to be bringing him ..." he stopped and pointed to the ceiling.

 

The two teens looked upward as another tremor shook the fortress.

 

"Stay here," Harry said and started for the door.

 

"Where are you going?" She raced ahead and stopped him. "Up there?"

 

"Mione," he ground out her name and made to move around her, but Hermione grabbed a hold of each of his arms.

 

"You're going to face Voldemort?" Her question sounded more like a declaration

 

His expression softened and so did his tone. "It's time. I have to face him now and I can't be worrying about you two."

 

"But we can help you," she pleaded and looked down at Dobby for confirmation. "Right?"

 

For all his powers, the last thing Dobby wanted to do was to face Voldemort. He returned her entreaty with a look of sheer terror. "Dobby is ... Dobby is ..."

 

"Don't worry Dobby, you're not coming," Harry reassured the panic stricken elf, and this time successfully stepped past Hermione. "Now stay here!"

 

"Harry," she said as he reached for the door.

 

"What?"

 

"What about your wand?"

 

He gasped and stared at her agape. "Oh yeah." He opened the door with the intent to summon his wand but froze instead at the sight that greeted him. "Look at this," he whispered.

 

Hermione peered out the door and saw a grand staircase. A stream of gray smoke billowed out from the top floor entry while the lower level was awash with the flickering lights of numerous wand battles.

 

"Move over," Harry nudged forward and peered upward, having a pretty good idea that his wand was somewhere near Voldemort. "Accio wand!"

 

In a few moments, his wand sailed out through the billow of dark gray smoke, on down the flight of stairs and landed in his outstretched hand. He tightened his fingers around the familiar shaft of Holly that seemed to hum with delight at once again being held by its master.

 

"Harry!" Ron called out from below.

 

"Ron!"

 

He and Neville bounded up the stairs and pushed their way into the room.

 

"Who else is here?" asked Harry quickly.

 

"Most everyone in the DA who graduated came," Ron answered as he gave Hermione a quick hug. "They wouldn't let the younger ones come."

 

"But we got separated when Dean got hit," added Neville. "I don't think it's bad. Seamus already took him-"

 

Another rumble cut short them short.

 

"Listen you guys, I gotta go and don't any of you try to follow me."

 

"Where are you going?" asked Ron.

 

"To Voldemort." Hermione said sternly. "And he insists on going by himself."

 

Ron looked to Harry with a stunned expression. "Have you gone barmy?"

 

"I have to do this alone!" Harry insisted.

 

"Then why did you start Dumbledore's Army?" asked Neville.

 

"What?"

 

"It was all supposed to be about fighting You Know Who, wasn't it?"

 

"Yeah, but ..."

 

"He's right Harry," said Ron.

 

They all nearly toppled over when the fortress shook violently.

 

"That's it, we're going," Hermione said insistently. "Dumbledore might need help and so might you."

 

"If the friends of Harry Potter are going with him, then Dobby is also going."

 

Ron, Hermione, Neville and Dobby all stared at Harry with determined looks.

 

"Fine!" Harry said with frustration through gritted teeth. "But stay behind me!"

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~ 

 

Harry could barely see when he reached the fourth floor because of the thick smoke.

 

The place was in a state of ruin and he could hear the crack of spells being fired from a distant spot ahead. Its timbre was unmistakable for he'd heard it once before - the time Dumbledore had dueled Voldemort in the Atrium at the Ministry.

 

The fear he'd felt when he watched that duel rose up and started his heart racing and caused a cold prickly feeling to rise on the back of his neck.

 

Get a hold of yourself, he reprimanded himself. You know loads more now; you can do this!

 

He grasped his wand more tightly and began to climb stealthily over the piles of stone, dodging flames and keeping silent so as not to reveal his presence. As he got closer, the smoke got thicker. It was heavy, acrid, and was beginning to burn his lungs each time he drew a breath.

 

Harry was about to cast a Bubble-Head charm when someone grabbed his ankle. He redirected his wand and pointed it at his would-be assailant.

 

"Severus!" Harry gasped and dropped down immediately next to the fallen wizard, whose leg was bent at an odd angle. He brushed Severus' matted long hair away from his sweaty face. There was a nasty gash on his forehead and his skin was pallid.

 

"Oh Harry," he crooked. "Thought you ... at Hogwarts."

 

"I was but I ...," he left his sentence hanging.

 

Severus looked up to the young man he'd come to love as his very own son. "S'all right, I understand." He cringed suddenly as a wave of pain ripped through him.

 

"I'll get help." Harry peered down the hallway but couldn't see anything for the smoke. "Expecto Patronum!" His magnificent Patronus burst forth and charged out into the smoke, returning moments later followed by Ron, Hermione, Neville and Dobby.

 

"What happened?" asked Ron as they all knelt down, circling their once feared professor.

 

"Dunno. Found him like this."

 

"His femur is broken," Hermione declared. "And I think he's in shock."

 

"Dobby! I need you to take him to Madame Pomfrey," Harry implored.

 

"Yes Harry Potter, Dobby will be taking him."

 

"Come right back," Hermione added. "And see if you can bring more elves."

 

Dobby nodded, touched Severus' shoulder and they immediately disappeared.

 

Harry stared a moment at the spot where Severus had just been, then quickly regrouped and jumped up. "Stay here!" he ordered and then ran off into the black smoke.

 

Ron watched him disappear into the smoke. "You got your coin Mione?"

 

"Of course I do," she answered. The DA members given permission to help that day had all agreed to carry their Protean Charmed Coins in case they needed help.

 

"I'm gonna follow him. Wait a minute then follow me; that way we'll each have a backup."

 

His plan made sense even if she didn't like the sound of it. "Okay, but be careful."

 

"I will." He gave her a kiss and then jogged after his long time best mate.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

 

Harry worked his way along the corridor until he finally reached Voldemort's private chambers. He paused outside what remained of the doorway and peered around its shredded edge.

 

Dumbledore was directly across from him. He was sitting on the floor, propped up against the far wall. He held his wand in one hand while his other was clenched to his chest. The faint shimmer of a shield surrounded him but every few seconds it would disappear.

 

To the right was Voldemort. He was still standing, but just barely. Harry had to stifle a gasp when he saw the bloody stump and worse yet, the part of arm that had been severed was creeping aimlessly across the floor, seemingly of its own accord.

 

If he had any chance of defeating Voldemort - this was it.

 

Harry stepped into the room and Voldemort turned to look him with a hideous and twisted expression.

 

"Do it Harry," Dumbledore groaned. "Now ..."

 

Harry aimed his wand and yelled, "Reducto!" at the same time Voldemort cast, "Avada Kedavra!"

 

The curses collided, but because of the shared cores, they both rebounded upon their casters.

 

Harry was thrown backwards and plunged into darkness while Voldemort's death curse sucked the life out of him and knocked him out an already shattered window.

 

The wards collapsed and his lifeless body sailed through the air, coming to land on the rocks below with a mighty splat.

 

~~~~~SH~~~~~

Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please take a moment to share your thoughts. Hugs, SHaria