Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Detention in the Forbidden Forest

Harry quietly walked towards the Defense classroom. He hadn't been at dinner because he hadn't felt like eating. He had just turned the corner and could see the door to the classroom when he bumped into Professor Flitwick. He instantly held a hand out so that his professor didn't fall backwards.

"Oh, there you are, Perseus," Professor Flitwick said with a soft squeak. "Your detention has been rescheduled with Professor Hagrid this evening."

"What?" Harry exclaimed. "Why?"

"Don't ask silly questions, Mr. Prince," Professor Flitwick replied prodding Harry to follow him. "Let's just say that the Headmaster appears to be in a gracious mood this evening. If your detention had been the only one the Headmaster rescheduled, well, we'd think he was playing favorites, but it seems that something's going on that we aren't to learn. Now, come along, young Mister Prince, before you're late. It is troubling to say the least, your uncle's behavior, I mean."

"Why?"

"I'm sure the others have informed you of what he did last year."

Harry felt his stomach clench tightly at the reminder. However, he only nodded numbly. He didn't need Professor Flitwick to take a trip down memory lane with him. It was too painful for both of them, and they didn't need that.

"Well, I think you can figure out why it's troubling then."

"You think that he's hiding something?"

"I know he's hiding something," Flitwick responded. "And it's that reason why I'm worried, Mr. Prince. All last year our headmaster kept things to himself, and look where that got us. It's as if we're traveling down the same road with Snape." He then shook his head. "I know what he did, and I do not like him for it, but he came to us and told us to ensure that the students weren't with the Carrows. If it is remorse, then I fear for what reason would bring about remorse in that man."

Harry felt a chill sweep over him at his professor's words. There was something eerie about it. He sighed heavily as he recognized the Entrance Hall. The two then went their separate ways.

"Ah, there ya are, Prince, been lookin' for ya," Hagrid said as soon as Harry reached the bottom of the hill. "Well, what'd ya do to get a detention?"

"Carrow didn't like the way I looked," Harry responded. "She thought I was pretending to be someone, but I don't know who that'd be." He then noticed Hagrid staring at him.

"Eh, she's probably worried," answered Hagrid. "Gotta admit myself that I thought ya were Harry for a minute, but ain't no way that'd happen."

"Why?"

"Cause Harry would kill ya uncle the second he'd see 'im."

Harry scoffed before kicking a rock. It was rather funny that everyone thought that. He then glanced at Hagrid. The giant didn't look any worse for wear. In fact, he looked a little better than he did last year. Harry then sighed.

"Sounds like this Harry liked to leap before thinking," Harry mumbled.

"Why do ya say that?"

"I met Professor Dumbledore once. He was talking to my uncle about something, and it seemed like my uncle respected him a great deal. Just doesn't make sense for him to kill a man that he respected so much," Harry replied. "What do I know, though? All of you seem like you know my uncle better than I do, and people do act differently around their family."

"Eh, no, ya right, Perseus. Snape always acted as if he and Dumbledore were close. Dumbledore always told me that he trusted Snape, and we all believed 'im cause he was Dumbledore."

"Don't take offense, but Dumbledore was just a man, though," Harry said.

"Eh, yeah, ya right, and he was wrong sometimes too." Hagrid led Harry into his hut. "Ya s'pose to wait here until Snape comes and get ya," Hagrid explained.

"You knew my uncle when he was in school here, didn't you?"

"Yeah, I knew 'im. He always hung around with Lily Evans. They were best friends until his fifth year. I always thought she was a good influence for him, but something happened." A knock at the door then ended Hagrid's response. "Evenin,' Headmaster, got 'im all ready for you."

"Thank you, Hagrid," Snape responded as he quietly walked into the hut. "Come, Perseus." Harry instantly followed and mouthed a thank you to Hagrid. Snape and Harry walked deep within the Forbidden Forest, which Harry had to admit was a bit unsettling. He wasn't sure what Snape was wanting with him, but he'd follow him for now.

After fifteen minutes, the two stopped. Snape silently undid his outer cloak and folded it before setting it next to a huge tree. Harry did the same, but a bit more hesitantly. Snape then sighed and folded his arms across his chest staring at Harry.

"Like I told you before, you are in need of certain skills that I possess. Amycus and Alecto refuse to come this deep in the forest so we don't have to concern ourselves with them spying on us."

"What about the other creatures in here?"

"I doubt they'll bother us, but if they do, do not hesitate to protect yourself in any way you see fit." Snape then drew in a deep breath. "I'm sure we don't need to cover this again, but I want you to rely on the spells you know. That includes the spells you learned from my book," Snape said.

"I suppose that includes the spell that I used against Draco last year," Harry asked.

"That was in my book, was it not?" Snape then sighed. "I will also teach more spells."

"Dark spells you mean," Harry said.

"The majority of spells that I know are dark. If you have an issue with that, then leave. However, know that I will not allow the darkness to consume you." Harry then nodded before drawing in a breath. "I take it that you wish to remain?"

"I don't have a choice, Snape. I have to do this."

"You don't have to do anything. No one will think anything bad about you if you choose to walk away. I most certainly won't."

"But I'm the one to end this, Snape. You know that."

"Then let's get started." Snape then closed his eyes, though. He didn't know why, but he felt he needed to say it. "Know that your parents would be proud of you, Harry."

"Thanks, Snape," Harry said with a soft smile. "Let's do this."