Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Shared Limbo

Slowly, his sense came to him. Bright white lights blinded him, though, as soon as his eyes opened. He glanced around the familiar manor. The sounds of bell-ringing laughter greeted him. He slowly walked towards the sounds and felt his breath catch in his throat at the sight.

"Sev," Lily, his Lily, said with her beaming trademark smile. Her long flowing chestnut hair rested gently on her bare shoulders. Her crimson dress swayed gently as she walked towards him.

He couldn't believe it. He had found her. He had found his sweet Lily. He rushed to her and instantly encircled his arms around her. He breathed in deeply the scent of vanilla and strawberries. She smelled the same as the first day he had met her. He never wanted to let her go. His lips brushed hers gently, and a smile flooded his entire face. He was finally home.

"You've gotten old, Sev," Lily teased as she ran her fingers along his jaw. He chuckled and brought her delicate hands to his lips.

"I'm sorry, Lily. I'm so sorry," he whispered as he held her.

"Shh, I know," she replied placing a finger against his lips. "But it wasn't your fault, Severus. You mustn't continue to blame yourself for my death. You didn't kill me." She then glanced towards Harry who stood in the doorway staring at both of them. "He's grown into such a wonderful young man, Severus." She then laughed softly. "I can't believe how much you've grown, Harry." Harry only nodded once before glancing towards Snape.

"Not even going to say anything to your mum? Now, I know I raised you better than that."

"You did, Dad, but we have to go," Harry responded quietly as he glanced towards James Potter.

"You could stay, though, Harry. In fact, the option rests with both of you," Lily said.

"There was a time when I'd give anything to do that, Mum, but Ginny needs me." Harry then inhaled deeply before glancing at Snape. He could see the man seriously considering it, which made him sigh. He didn't blame Snape a bit for wanting to stay, and he wasn't even going to try to sway the man. "What do I have to do to go back?"

"You're sure, Harry?" Lily asked staring at him. He nodded in response.

"Then think of Ginny, and you'll be back with her again," Sirius said as he walked into the room.

Harry's heart instantly panged at the sight of his godfather. It was one thing to see his parents again, but it was an entirely different thing to see Sirius again. That death was still too fresh in his mind. However, when Harry saw Dumbledore appear seconds later, he gasped. The white wizard looked like he had always had, but a bit more rested perhaps.

"I always knew that you two would end it," Dumbledore said with a soft sad smile. He then glanced at Harry. "It takes a strong man to decline an offer like that, Harry. I know I wouldn't have had the strength to decline. You of all people deserve to spend your afterlife, however, you see fit."

"I know, sir," Harry responded with a smile. "And I don't think I'm quite ready for that, though. Plus, I think Ginny would curse my grave if I chose to stay. I'm ready to go back and end this." Harry then glanced at Snape who had remained quiet throughout. "Thanks, Professor, for everything." He watched Snape then sigh heavily before closing his eyes.

"You love him?" was the soft whispered question from Snape.

"I loved you both equally, Severus. You knew that," Lily replied with a smile.

"If I had chosen you instead of—"

"Sev, don't torture yourself with what ifs. I knew you loved me, and I saw how you stayed loyal to me through all these years, but stop torturing yourself. I chose James, not because you called me that horrible name that day by the lake, but because I knew the choice that you'd have to make one day. I didn't want you to go through that, Severus. It was never a question of the Dark Arts or me, though. It was always the question of my love for you. He would have made you chose at some point, him or me, and you would have chosen me and died because of it. I couldn't allow you to make that choice. In my heart, I think I knew that I needed you alive so that Harry would live. Don't ask me how, Severus, but I've decided long ago that it was mother's intuition."

"You'll always choose Potter over me then?"

"I'm sorry, Sev," Lily whispered. Slowly, the scene faded as Snape focused on the waking world. He knew Harry would follow suit. There was his long awaited answer, and he hated it.