Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Long-Awaited Meeting

Harry felt a chill sweep over him as he walked into the haunted castle. He could hear all of the students talking loudly, but their words sounded so distant and distorted. He knew he was in his own world as he had been for the entire summer. He had now put on his Invisibility cloak, ensuring no one could tell who he was or that he was even there. Prior to his arrival, he had also torn off his Gryffindor patch on his black school robes. Hidden behind his long black sleeves, he tightly held his holly wand.

"I'm worried, Ron," a young woman with long bushy hair whispered as she and a redheaded young man walked past. The Gryffindor symbols on their chest reflected brilliantly in the moonlight.

Harry's heart panged slightly when he caught the sight of his two best friends in the Entrance Hall. However, he knew he had a mission to complete, and he couldn't risk them trying to talk him out of it. The last time he had seen Ron and Hermione was the day after Dumbledore's funeral.

The three friends had talked for hours about what to do next. Harry had told them both that he'd search for the Horcruxes instead of attending his final year at Hogwarts, which both Ron and Hermione interjected saying that they would come with him. He couldn't allow that, though. Everyone that he ever loved always died, and he knew that he couldn't be the reason for any more deaths, especially theirs. Therefore, Harry did what any person would do, and he lied through his teeth. He told them that he'd go to Hogwarts then. The three friends then parted with the promise of meeting again in the fall, which Harry did not intend ever to fulfill that promise.

In the middle of a stormy night on Privet Drive at the beginning of July, Harry crept out of the large house and ran away from the Dursleys forever. He knew that there wouldn't be any tears spilt over his leaving, and he was rather glad for that. There was already too much sadness in Harry's world. He didn't need anymore, but it wasn't as if he ever had to worry about any of that with the loving Dursleys.

Over the remaining months of summer, Harry became very good at hiding so no one (Muggle or otherwise) could find him. He made sure he didn't use his magic so that the Ministry couldn't find him. He told Hedwig, his snowy owl, not to bring him any letters. He also sent Hedwig away with the promise that they'd meet again in September. His main residence was in a secluded part of England where only Muggles resided. He would only go out in the dead of night unless necessary. For all intensive purposes, Harry Potter became a ghost.

"I'm sure he's all right, Hermione. He's probably already in there waiting for us," Ron replied.

"You don't believe that, so why should I?"

Harry watched Hermione then angrily storm into the Great Hall with Ron following close behind her. His chest ached horribly with remorse and regret for his upcoming actions. However, he knew his friends would understand someday why he killed Snape. The young man then headed towards the Great Hall. Something, though, grabbed his sleeve and prevented him. His green eyes immediately darted towards the hand grabbing him. How could anyone know he was there? He had thought he blended in rather well with the rest of the students. He then sighed quietly when he recognized the small creature in rags. Leave it to Dobby to find him and try to stop him. Harry was just about to speak when he heard the soft snap of the house elf's fingers. His heart leapt, and within moments, the house elf transported Harry to the very place in the castle where it hurt him the most to be, the Headmaster's office.

Drawing in a shaky breath, Harry glanced around the room. Nothing had changed. It was still as Dumbledore had left it. He then glanced down at Dobby, but the house elf snapped his fingers and disappeared. Harry instantly then closed his eyes as the raw emotions took over again. It was too painful to be in here…to know that four months prior Albus Dumbledore sat in that gold high-backed chair with a cheerful smile offering his stupid lemon drops to any students or staff who visited him.

Harry glanced to his right and noticed the pensieve where he viewed dozens of Dumbledore's memories that concerned Voldemort. He then looked at the desk and felt another sharp pang when he noticed Fawkes on his perch staring at him. The last time he had heard or seen Fawkes was the day the phoenix had supposedly left forever. He couldn't understand why the phoenix would return now, especially since Snape was headmaster. Harry then caught the shadow standing off to his side.

"We, Mr. Potter, have a problem," said the familiar silky voice that could only belong to Dumbledore's murderer.

"Snape," Harry snarled before pointing his wand at the man. Hatred fueled his word.