Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Learning the Truth

Harry had looked onto the entire scene from the huge chair that Dumbledore had always sat in. He couldn't move because of the spell Snape had placed on him. Snape forced him to watch, which made him truthfully very scared. The entire scene was reminiscent of when Snape killed Dumbledore. He couldn't move then either and was helpless to watch.

Throughout the entire scene, Harry badly wanted to grab his wand and hex Snape and this new wizard, whom Harry knew was there the night Dumbledore died. However, no matter what counter-curse Harry tried, nothing worked. He was still glued to the seat and feeling incredibly helpless.

When he had seen his Astronomy professor's face, Harry winced. She looked like hell. Blood streamed from her nose. She had a black eye, and numerous bruises spotted her face. On her cheek was a nasty laceration that appeared to be the result of a ring catching. Her lips were puffed up and bloody. However, he noticed that she didn't look at all like a victim. Instead she looked the equivalent of a very ticked off witch who was planning to kill everyone in the room. For that look, Harry was rather glad that he was underneath the Invisibility cloak.

Harry then heard the other wizard say something, but he couldn't catch it in time. However, he definitely caught Snape's reaction, which to Harry was surprising. He couldn't understand why Snape was so angry with the other man. It wasn't as if Snape cared for Sinistra all that much. After all, he had acted for years that he respected Dumbledore, and he killed him.

"Unless you wish to sing soprano, Amycus, I would leave if I were you," Snape hissed.

"What the hell is the matter with you, Snape?" asked the man.

Yeah, what is the matter with you, thought Harry. You don't give a damn about her or anyone else for that matter. What do you care what he does to Sinistra? What's so special about her?

"You weren't like this before," the man said.

Harry's eyes then widened as he watched Snape draw his long ebony wand and point it towards the man. If it were possible, Harry's mouth would have dropped to the floor. Snape was acting extremely odd and almost possessed with the way he was threatening the other man.

"This is your last warning, Carrow. If I ever learn that you touched her again, I will make damn sure that the Dark Lord learns of your little girlfriend."

"Hey, now you wait here a minute, Snape—"

"No! She is not to be harmed."

"Why?" Amycus then groaned. "Oh, man, you got a thing for her, don't you? Jeez, Snape, she's one of those stupid Order members. She's likely to stab you in the back than love you."

Harry nearly choked back the bile that had collected at the back of his throat. How could anyone love that monster? Harry was damn sure that by the look Sinistra was giving Snape that she didn't reciprocate his feelings. That was if Snape had any feelings.

Seconds later, Harry's eyes widened again as Snape's hand latched around the man's shoulders. Snape then slammed the man back against the glass cabinet. The glass instantly crackled and splintered out in various directions. Harry couldn't compare the anger coming off Snape to anything he had seen before from the wizard. It wasn't even close to the hatred in his eyes when he killed Dumbledore.

"SHE IS MINE, AMYCUS!" roared Snape. "I will not hesitate for a second to inform the Dark Lord about your unhealthy fascination with that Muggle girl of yours. I wonder how he'd take that."

I trust Severus completely, a voice in the back of Harry's head echoed. Harry badly wanted to scoff. Harry knew the truth now. Snape would gladly sell another's soul if it benefited him, which meant that since Snape had feelings for Sinistra, he would do anything to keep her safe…even if that meant causing the death of a fellow Death Eater. However, there was just a seed of doubt creeping into Harry's mind now as he continued to watch helplessly. Maybe Dumbledore was right to trust Snape.

Things weren't making sense anymore. Snape had respected Dumbledore and acted as if he cared for the older wizard. So why would he kill a man he cared and respected? Then there was the fact that Hagrid had said he heard Snape and Dumbledore arguing in the Forbidden Forest, something about Snape had promised. What had Snape promised, though?

After Snape tossed the man out of the office, Harry felt his abdomen clench tightly. Snape was walking towards Sinistra slowly. It was so eerily similar to that June night that Harry felt like he was about to witness another murder. However, when Snape only held out his hand to the witch, Harry's eyes narrowed. The wizard was acting unnaturally, almost…caring if that was possible. He then watched Snape walk towards the fireplace before firecalling Madam Pomfrey.

"What is it, Headmaster?" Madam Pomfrey snapped.

"I will be sending through Sinistra shortly, Madam. Please treat her before sending her back to the Welcoming Feast," Snape responded full of calmness and respect.

"Fine, will that be all, Headmaster?" snapped Madam Pomfrey.

"Yes."

Harry watched Snape slowly walk back towards Sinistra. He could see the hidden emotions in the older wizard's face. There was regret and remorse in his actions. However, Harry quickly forgot all that when he realized he could move again. The young man instantly stood up and drew his wand with the full intention of protecting Professor Sinistra from the murderer.

"I understand your anger, Aurora, and I don't blame you. However, if you are to survive this war, you must learn to keep your mouth shut. He will not hesitate to do this to you again. Do you understand this? He will use any excuse you give him to harm you."

"As if you care, Death Eater," Professor Sinistra hissed. "I don't need your help! I've been doing just fine these past months without you."

"Then don't be a stubborn ass, Aurora," Snape quietly replied. "Use the Floo and have Pomfrey look at you. Knowing her, she'll think I did this to you. I would think you'd jump at that chance."

"I'm not like you, Severus," she snarled.

Harry and Snape then watched her slowly limp towards the fireplace. However, Harry soon redirected his attention to the swirling silvery liquid in the large bowl in front of him. His emerald eyes glanced at Snape before looking back at the bowl. He lowered his head slightly before thinking better of his current action. The last time he had looked at Snape's memories was when Snape cancelled his Occlumency lessons Harry's fifth-year. However, he was too late in correcting his mistake. The silvery liquid quickly yanked him into Snape's memories.

As Harry found himself immersed in the memory, Dumbledore's office quickly formed again. His emerald eyes instantly caught Dumbledore sitting in a chair in front of his fireplace. He noticed that Dumbledore was holding his blackened hand. He had wondered how Dumbledore received that injury, but never thought to ask.

"Severus…" Dumbledore said in a pain-filled voice.

Harry whirled around and watched the looming black figure quickly rush to Dumbledore's side. He closed his eyes when he saw Snape pull out his ebony wand. However, his curiosity got the better of him so he reopened his eyes. He watched as Snape skillfully worked and noticed how Dumbledore's color in his cheeks slowly returned.

"Thank you, my boy," Dumbledore whispered a few seconds later.

"You…why?" asked Snape with confusion. "It was cursed, Albus. What on earth would possess you to do something so stupid and reckless?"

"I did not know it at the time, my boy," quietly replied the older wizard. "It is enticing, and I regret that even I could not avoid the chance of putting it on." He then sighed. "How bad is it, my boy?"

"I've managed to prevent the curse from spreading, but it is only a temporary fix, Albus."

"I see…how long?"

"It is hard to determine."

"No, my boy, it isn't. I can see in your face that you know. How long do I have, Severus?"

"I fail to see the reason as to why you would wish me to say this, Albus."

"Stop avoiding the question, Severus, and answer me. How long do I have?"

"It is not set in stone, Albus. I could find a potion that could repair the damage in a few weeks. Nothing is definitive so I refuse to give you that arbitrary number."

"Severus, it is not your fault. Please, my boy, tell me."

"A year," Snape quietly responded. "You have a year to live, Albus."

Harry's mouth dropped. He glanced from Snape to Dumbledore. This memory had to be false. It couldn't have…he…he couldn't have known. The surroundings then morphed into the Forbidden Forest.

Once again, Harry saw Snape and Dumbledore sharing a private conversation with each other. Looking upon both men, Harry felt his hatred for Snape dissipate rapidly. Snape appeared rather somber and quiet, as was Dumbledore. However, both men looked entirely focused upon their mission as they walked in the dark woods towards Black Lake's shoreline.

"Have you learned anymore of young Mr. Malfoy's plan to kill me, Severus?"

"I regret that I have not. It appears that Bellatrix has taught him Occlumency. The boy does not listen to me, Albus. I fear I have lost him."

"Ah, yes, that does happen from time to time, Severus." Dumbledore then sighed as he sat on a large rock that gazed out on the lake. "My year is almost up, Severus. It will not be long now."

"I am still researching various—"

"I know, I know, Severus, and I thank you for being so loyal to me. However, we both knew that one of us would not survive the war." Dumbledore then chuckled ruefully. "I have lived a fulfilling life, Severus. I do not need to outlive everyone." He quickly glanced towards Snape before smiling. "Have you given anymore thought to my proposition?"

"I have, and I still believe you are off your rocker, old man."

"There is potential there, Severus. You know it as well as me."

"Potential, yes, but I will not act upon it so stop scheming."

"Even after all this time, Severus?"

"Always, Albus," Snape responded quietly.

"Then it is a shame, I suppose, but it just shows your depth of love. I do wish you gave it a shot, though. Aurora and you would have a wonderful life together. I know this, Severus."

"We are not talking about this any longer, Albus. I have made up my mind."

"And my other request, what of that?" asked Dumbledore. "Have you given that thought too?"

"I have, and I am half-tempted to take you to St. Mungo's. It is absurd that you would wish me to kill you and then become the Headmaster of Hogwarts. Do you have any inkling how the staff would react if that occurred? I would be hexed and cursed daily, not to mention that the house elves would most likely lead a revolt with the staff and students."

"Ah, yes, that is unfortunately true. However, I have already laid the groundwork of my plan with Minerva. She knows nothing of our plan, except that I trust you completely. After my death, I have instructed Dobby to deliver a set of papers to her that will inform her to follow your every order. She will perhaps not be fond of what occurs, but she will do as I ask of her, Severus."

"You take too much for granted, Albus." Snape then sighed before picking up a small rock and skipping it across the water of Black Lake. "Have you ever considered that I might not want to do this? That I might now want to kill you, Albus?" he asked staring at the older wizard.

"My boy, of course, I have," Dumbledore replied before getting to his feet and walking towards Snape. "I am not asking this of you because I think of you as my one serial killer on staff. I am asking this of you because I love you as a father loves a son. My boy, I would not ever want Draco, a boy who is still full of innocence, to kill me."

"But, I, a man who lost his innocence long ago, am perfectly acceptable to kill you," Snape retorted before angrily glaring at the giant squid staring at them from the middle of the lake.

"You are the only one, Severus, who knows that I am to die at the end of this term. You would not be killing me out of spite, but out of love. Severus, my boy, you would be sparing me from a death full of pain along with sparing Draco from making your same mistake."

"I have spied for you, Albus, at great risk to myself. I have done everything you ever asked of me. I went to Azkaban for you once, remember?"

"I do, Severus," Dumbledore replied.

"And you know how they affect me. They make me hear her that night, and I was not even there, Albus! I can hear her screams and her pleading for his life."

"I know, my boy."

"If it is not Lily that I hear, then it is my childhood with Tobias. You are lucky that I am still sane after that time, Albus."

"Yes, my boy, I know all this."

"After all these years, I knew you used me to your advantage. After all these years, I knew that you only needed me so that you could defeat Voldemort. I was just a tool. I knew all this, but I remained loyal to you."

"Severus—"

"No, Albus, listen to me. It is ridiculous that you would ever ask me to do this for you. I have already lost everyone I ever loved, and now you wish me to kill you too? Is this the cosmos playing a joke on me?"

"My sweet, sweet Severus, no, it is not," Dumbledore whispered while placing a gentle hand on Snape's arm. "I understand your thoughts and your anger. If there were another way, I would not hesitate to use it. Be as it may, there is not. Please, Severus, you must do this."

"And what about Harry, Albus?" snarled Snape. "The boy has already lost his parents and his godfather. You add another death to the boy's life, and we might as well commit him to St. Mungo's now. A person can only take so much darkness and so much death before it starts to poison his soul."

"I know, Severus."

"Do you, Albus? Do you know?" Snape then released a loud scream before closing his eyes. "You used me, Albus, and I knew it, but I still remain loyal to you. I still go to the side of that monster who took Lily from me. I do all this willingly." He glanced towards Dumbledore. "How can you ask this of me, Albus? What did I do to deserve this?"

"Nothing, my boy, you deserve none of this. I regret how I treated you. I regret that I did not save you from Voldemort when I had the chance. I regret how I allowed James to bully you without ever giving him any consequences. I regret not taking you from Tobias after your mother's death. My boy, if I could, I would do everything I could to give you the life you deserved. I can't, though." Dumbledore then sighed. "I have done the same to Harry, unfortunately. I have used him as a weapon against Voldemort. I have withheld information because I cared too deeply for him." He then closed his eyes.

"You know something about Harry, don't you, Albus?"

"Yes," Dumbledore replied. He then reopened his eyes. "Lily was an extremely talented witch, Severus. You know this, but we never knew how talented. She invoked the ancient blood magic and sacrificed herself for her son. We all knew after Harry's first year that it had placed certain protections on him. What we didn't know, what we couldn't ever fully comprehend, Severus…my boy, Harry is one of them." Snape narrowed his eyes as did Harry.

"One of what, Albus?" asked Snape.

"Voldemort unknowingly made another Horcrux that night, and he used Harry to make it."

"WHAT?" Snape bellowed. "But that means then…no…no…you have to be wrong, Albus."

"I wish I was, Severus. Harry is a Horcrux."

Harry drew in a shaky breath. He thought back to how Dumbledore had entrusted him to destroy the Horcruxes. Would that mean then that…? Harry gulped before closing his eyes. He couldn't believe it. He would need to die so that Voldemort could be mortal. The phrase for neither can live while the other survives hauntingly echoed in Harry's mind.

"I thought that locket and Nagini were the last Horcruxes."

"So did I, Severus, but I was mistaken."

"Then do you wish me to destroy him too?"

"It would not work, Severus. Harry must willingly sacrifice himself to Voldemort."

"Wonderful, we might never be free of that monster then. The boy clearly is not suicidal, and I am not ever going to allow him to give himself to Voldemort willingly unless I wish to die too."

"It is my understanding the vow you made would make an exception in that case."

"Oh, is that right, Albus?" Snape harshly snapped.

"Yes, Severus, it is right."

"And why would it make this exception?"

"Because Harry loves fiercely, Severus, and he will develop affection towards you once he learns the truth." Harry instantly felt himself thrown violently out of the memories then. He glanced towards Snape who was staring at him. The long silvery cloak had fallen off somehow so he was fully visible.