Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

For the Good of Hogwarts

Based on the way the boy was staring, he knew Harry had watched the memories. He couldn't see anger in Harry's face, but he did notice the confusion. Snape, however, waited for the questions.

"He knew?" whispered Harry.

Snape only nodded curtly. He watched the boy carefully for a reaction. There was none. It seemed to take awhile for Harry to process that answer, though, before he could ask another.

"I…I have to…" he started to say before his voice trailed off.

"You do not have to do anything, Potter."

"But the only way to win the war is for me to sacrifice myself to Voldemort, though."

"With the off chance that it would even work, Potter," Snape added. "We do not know for certain if that is what was meant with that prophecy. At best, prophecies are guesswork. There is nothing definitive about them."

"Then when he begged you…"

"It was to ensure that I did as he asked. He begged me to kill him, Potter, not for his life."

"But you…it…you had so much hatred in your eyes."

"I was to kill my mentor, Potter, the man whom I swore my loyalty to. Of course, I would have hatred in my eyes. I hated that he asked me to kill him. I hated that it had to be me who killed him. I hated that we were even in that situation. It was not hatred for Albus, though. I could not hate him, just as I cannot hate you, Potter. You are not your father. You share his looks, yes, but you take after your mother in your personality. However, I could not openly show you that I liked you, though. It would have been dangerous for us. Can you imagine what would have happened if I had been discovered as a spy for Albus? I would have been killed, and numerous deaths would not have been prevented."

"Oh," Harry replied before hanging his head. "How do I know you're telling the truth, though?"

"You don't," Snape responded calmly. "This is all a matter of faith now, Potter." He then frowned. "However, I must admit that I had hoped you'd hunt for the Horcruxes and stay away."

"I thought about it, but I couldn't do it."

"Ah, yes, your hatred for me prevented that," Snape said. "How is it that you learned Occlumency? Tell me the truth."

"I just read the book and practiced a lot of the exercises," Harry admitted. "It was rather easy if I had a reason to learn it."

"You had a reason before, though."

"But I didn't have you sticking your nose in my head every five seconds," Harry replied. He then sighed. "Won't Voldemort know about all of this now, though?"

"Not unless you lower your barriers, but it appears your barriers are the only think keeping you from becoming an emotional Hufflepuff." Snape's eyes narrowed on Harry. "Who knows you are here?"

"No one," Harry admitted quietly. "I didn't want them to talk me out of it."

"They never saw you? You are certain?" Harry nodded once. "Then we still have a chance this year for one last try."

"I don't understand."

"While I understand you do not trust me in the slightest, you are in need of certain skills that I possess if you are ever to defeat the Dark Lord. I am willing to offer my services to you, but I cannot do so while you are Harry Potter. Do you understand?"

"Yeah, I think I do," Harry quietly said. "You have to alter my appearance."

"Not just your appearance, Potter," Snape responded. "You must become a different person and assume that role throughout the entire year."

"Someone will notice if I drink Polyjuice every day, though."

"There are other ways to alter one's appearance." Snape then stared at Harry. "What I am offering you, you must understand that it will be temporary, Harry."

"Yeah, I get it." Harry's eyes then narrowed as he caught Snape's use of his first name. "Wait a minute, Snape, what did you say?"

"You heard me just fine. There is an ancient spell that uses blood magic, which I intend to use."

"So what happens with this spell?"

"It would blend our blood so that if anyone ever attempted to check your genealogy, he or she would discover that we are related. You would most likely look as if you were a member of the Prince family, and it would be very easy to come up with a new identity then."

"Um…so wait…would I look like I was your son then?"

"No," Snape replied. "I would not ask that of you. I had thought perhaps a nephew."

"Well, do you have a nephew, though?"

"I had one at one time, but he and his family are long gone. He would have been your age."

"What happened to him?"

"My maternal grandparents did not appreciate my sister's child so they killed her and her family. As I said, it occurred a long time ago, and I am the last of the Prince line."

"I thought you just said your maternal grandparents killed—"

"They met an unfortunate fate later, I fear," Snape replied darkly.

"You killed them?"

"Not I, Mr. Potter," Snape responded before sighing.

"What was his name, your nephew, I mean?"

"Perseus Hadean Prince, my sister was an odd child," Snape said with a chuckle.

"Wouldn't it be odd if I just showed up, though?"

"Mr. Potter, wizards live in the stone age compared to Muggles. It takes time for certain truths to come to light so if we had said that my sister had died this past summer and that you just arrived, no one would know the difference." Snape then sighed. "There are records in the Ministry that show the birth of my nephew, but there are none that record his death." At the sight of Harry's confusion, he explained. "My nephew for all intensive purposes was a squib. Hence, the reason why my grandparents killed them," Snape said. "The Prince line is of an ancient line, and it is disgraceful to have a squib in your family when you are a pureblood family."

"All right, let's do this then," Harry quietly spoke. "It'll be temporary, though, right?"

"Of course, we would hate for you to be permanently stuck looking like me."

Snape then pulled a long black rectangle out of his robes before pressing a button the side of the rectangle. Within seconds, a silver blade popped out. Harry watched Snape press the sharp blade against his palm before handing the knife over to Harry.

"Do as I did," Snape instructed, which Harry did. With both Harry and Snape's palms now cut and bleeding, Snape held out his hand towards Harry. "It is idiotic, but you must take my hand so that I may recite the lines." Harry stared at him for a few moments before finally grabbing Snape's bloody hand. The recitation was soft and rather hypnotic, but warmth spread throughout them.

"Is it done?" asked Harry after the warmth left him. He then noticed Snape staring at him oddly. "What? Is something wrong?"

"No," replied Snape.

Harry, however, didn't believe him for a second, so he walked over to the mirror. He instantly noticed his eye color. The once deep emerald was now hazel. He glanced towards Snape again before sighing. He guessed he could live with the new color. Hidden behind long black hair was a very faded lightning bolt scar. Harry had also grown. He was now close to Snape in height, but an inch shorter.

"You will have to act like a Prince in order to pull this off so it might be best if I instruct you."

"I think I've got it, Snape," Harry replied. "I act like a total git to everyone and don't care about anyone else except me."

"Well, you certainly have the temper down," Snape responded before sighing. "I take it you will wish me not to place you in Slytherin?"

"What do you mean?"

"Obviously, I cannot place you in Gryffindor. It would be too obvious, and there is also the fact that there has never been a Gryffindor Prince."

"What are my options then?"

"Slytherin or Ravenclaw," Snape responded.

"In other words, I'm going to be a Ravenclaw." Harry sighed. He then glanced at the usual place for the Sorting Hat. It wasn't there. "Guess you already took it down to the Great Hall, didn't you?"

"No. It does not reside in Hogwarts anymore. Sorting is rather arbitrary these days. Purebloods are in Slytherin, and the Head of the other Houses sort out the rest of the students." Harry nodded slowly before shaking his head. He could tell by Snape's tone that the idea wasn't his. "It goes without saying, but while you look this way, you will not contact Miss Granger or Mister Weasley or any of your other friends. You may contact them through post. In fact, I recommend it, but not face to face. Is that understood?"

"Yeah, I got it." Harry then sighed. "I have to stick to friends in Ravenclaw then?"

"Yes, and you may also remain friends with Miss Lovegood. She will no doubt see through our plan. If she does, then reiterate the fact that no one must know."

"Of course," Harry said feeling a bit better that he could remain friends with Luna. Of course, Snape was right, though. Luna would know the second she saw him who he was. She just had that uncanny ability. "So am I going to be Perseus or can I go by Hadean?"

"It'd be less noticeable if you used Perseus. I will use Hadean when we are in private, though."

"All right," Harry said before sighing.

"I shall contact Filius and inform him that he has a new student. Remain here." Snape then walked to his fireplace again. Seconds later, a short plump wizard stepped out of the roaring green flames. However, the wizard didn't look his usual self. He looked more serious and angrier.

"You called for me, Headmaster?" the tiny professor announced.

"Yes, thank you for your promptness. As I informed you just now, my nephew will be attending Hogwarts this year. I had thought it best to request that he be placed in Ravenclaw."

"Oh, you did, sir, did you?" mumbled the little Charms professor. "How grand," he retorted before glancing towards Harry. "Welcome to Hogwarts. I am Professor Flitwick, and your name is…?"

"Perseus Prince," Harry responded smoothly.

"Oh, but of course it is," Professor Flitwick mumbled. "Well, come along then, can't be wasting our wonderful Headmaster's time, can we?" Harry glanced towards Snape and sighed. None of them had any idea what Snape was doing for them. However, he followed Flitwick silently and left Snape alone.