Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2

"The two of you will have to share a room. I trust that this will not be a problem, gentlemen." Snape's tone threatened dreadful consequences if any problems arose, as he opened the door to a rather small bedroom hardly big enough for the twin sized bed and wardrobe it held.

"No, sir." Harry replied quietly, shifting nervously from foot to foot.

Snape raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms looking down at the two boys. 'No, sir' indeed. He'd be surprised if they didn't kill one another in the first ten minutes.

"Mr. Dursley?"

"What?"

Severus gritted his teeth at the insolent tone, but refrained from strangling the child. He had been through quite a bit recently.

"I suggest, Mr. Dursley that you adjust your attitude now, or I will adjust it for you. As I said before, I trust that sharing a room with your cousin won't be a problem. Will it?"

"Of course it's a problem! Are you daft? I won't share a room with a freak like him! I want my own room!"

Dudley was screaming at the top of his lungs while Harry looked on his mouth hanging open and his eyes wide. Only someone with a death wish would shout at Professor Snape like that. Harry shuffled back a couple of feet putting a little more distance between himself and the other two occupants of the room.

Snape for his part was very proud of his self-control under the circumstances.

"Mr. Dursley," Severus purred dangerously, stepping closer he bent forward so his face was inches from Dudley's, "Rest assured the only reason you have yet to find yourself residing in a jar in my potions cabinet is because you have been through many traumatic events in the last week. I have already warned you about your attitude. Don't expect me to be this lenient next time."

Grasping Dudley's upper arm in a vice like grip Severus dragged the boy out of the room and to the end of the hall. Dudley attempted to fight, but, despite his size, was no match for Snape. At the end of the hall Snape released Dudley's arm, but before the large child could move had latched onto the back of his neck. Dudley hunched his shoulders in an attempt to get out of the uncomfortable grip, but was unsuccessful.

"You sodding, bastard! Let me go! You can't do this!" Dudley continued to scream even as his nose was shoved into the corner.

"You will calm down at once, Dursley!" Severus yelled in order to be heard over the child.

Dudley continued to fight and scream profanities, but Snape refused to relent. After what seemed like an eternity Dudley quite struggling and tried a different tactic, he started bawling. He sat down on the floor and cried. Not the crying of a child who had recently lost his parents, but a temper tantrum type wailing that grated on Snape's last fragile nerve.

Without a sound, Severus pulled out his wand and used a sticking charm to prevent the obese boy from getting up. Without another word, he turned around in time to see a dark mop of messy hair disappear back into the bedroom.

Harry was standing at the foot of the bed when Severus entered the bedroom once more. Dudley's wails could still be heard down the hall.

"I suggest, Mr. Potter, that in the future you be more concerned about your own hide then that of your cousin."

"Yes, sir," Harry said quietly, once again avoiding eye contact.

Severus narrowed his eyes at the boy. He was acquiescing far too easily. Severus had expected him to put up more of a fight then his cousin.

With a wave of his wand an old brown leather bag floated into the room and into Severus's hand.

"Sit," ordered the potions master pointing towards the bed.

Harry obediently scooted up on the foot of the bed. His eyes remained trained on the floor, but his hands gripped the tattered blanket so hard his knuckles turned white.

Severus could practically feel the boy's heart racing as he approached. Sitting the bag down beside the far too small boy, he stood directly in front of him. With more gentleness then most believed possible he tilted Harry's head back. The gash across his cheek was deep. The muggle doctors had had to stitch it closed. The black eye was healing quickly, but a bruise salve certainly wouldn't hurt.

Reaching into the bag Snape withdrew the appropriate potions and applied them to the wounds on Harry's face. Almost immediately, the black eye vanished and the gash healed completely without leaving a scar.

Severus took a small step back to look the boy over. There were several bruises along his arms and Severus had no doubt there were even more on his backside.

"Do you have any injuries worse then bruises?"

Harry, still shocked over the professor's gentle manner, could only shake his head no.

"When I ask you a question, Potter, I expect a verbal answer."

"No, sir," Harry quickly looked down at the floor again. "Just bruises."

"No welts or blisters?"

"No, sir," Harry whispered, his cheeks glowing from unnecessary embarrassment.

Severus nodded, reaching back into his bag he withdrew a vial filled with a thick blue liquid, and began walking towards the door.

"Follow me."

Leaving the room, they went down the opposite side of the hall from where Dudley was still throwing a tantrum worthy of a four year old. Opening a door Snape revealed a small bathroom. Going over to the tub Snape started the water running making sure the temperature was good before stopping up the tub and pouring in the blue potion.

"Make sure you soak in the water for at least fifteen minutes before you start washing. That will give the potion long enough to work."

Leaving the water running Severus opened the cabinet above the toilet and pulled out a towel and washcloth. He placed the towel on the toilet seat lid and draped the cloth over the side of the tub.

"If your bruises still aren't gone when you get out let me know and I'll give you a stronger salve to put on them."

Opening the cabinet under the sink he withdrew a fresh bar of soap. He removed the wrapper and placed the soap on top of the washcloth. By this time, the tub was half filled with water, checking the temperature one last time, Severus turned off the tap.

"Questions?"

"No, sir."

Snape nodded before turning around and leaving the bathroom closing the door behind him.

As the door clicked shut behind him, Severus released a sigh. This was going to be a very long day. At the other end of the hall Dursley had stopped wailing, but was obviously still pouting. Deciding to give the brat a few more minutes in the corner he walked the short distance back into the bedroom the boys would be sharing.

The room had been his as a child, but after his father's death he had rearranged the entire house. Neither of the two pieces of furniture in the room had been his. With a flick of his wand and a muttered incantation the single twin sized bed transformed into twin bunk beds. The wardrobe was enchanted so it would be more then sufficient to hold all the boys' clothing. For good measure, he cast a cleaning charm on the room before going in search of bedclothes.

SssssssssS

Once the room was suitable for Severus's impromptu guests he made his way downstairs. Judging from the names the Dursley boy called him as he walked by the child was not yet ready to come out of time out.

Moving across the small living room to the fireplace Snape threw in a handful of floo powder.

"Hogwarts, Headmaster's Office!" He called sticking his head in the green flames.

After requesting that Dumbledore step through the grate he pulled his head out of the flames and waited.

It didn't take long for Dumbledore to appear in his living room.

"Really, Severus, whatever could be wrong on such a beautiful morning such as this? If I didn't have a small mountain of paperwork on my desk I'd be outside enjoying it myself."

"It's a rather long story, Albus. Would you care for tea?"

"No, thank you," Albus said taking the seat Snape had gestured to.

"I received an owl late last night from Petunia Dursley. Her husband had been recently laid off and had taken to beating her for his own shortcomings."

Despite his intention of getting strait to the point, his words at left a bitter taste in his mouth. Severus paused for a moment to summon a glass and using his wand filled it with water. He took a sip before continuing the story.

"I could tell the note was hastily written, but didn't realize how dire the situation was. I gathered a few healing potions and apparated to the Dursley residents. There was no one there. It was very late at night so I waited a couple of hours expecting them to be home soon. Eventually, I left deciding to come back the next afternoon. When I returned home, I was surprised to hear my phone ringing. Very few people have reason to call this number, especially considering that it was nearly four in the morning."

Severus took a sip of water and stole a quick glance in Dumbledore's direction. The ancient wizard was listening on serenely as though Snape were describing a walk in the park.

"I really didn't know this number was listed, but apparently social services was able to find it. From what the police told me, it appears as though Vernon witnessed Petunia sending me the letter and was enraged. Dudley, Petunia's son, was terrified enough for his mother that he called the police. When they arrived they arrested Vernon and called an ambulance to take Petunia to the hospital. Apparently, Petunia was alive long enough to summon a priest and make out a quick Will and Testament. Basically, she wanted her son to receive everything and for him and Potter to be left in my care."

Severus still didn't understand why Petunia had chosen him. Surely, she had other friends she trusted more then him. Then again, perhaps not, he vividly recalled how jealous his own father was. He'd get upset if his mother left the house to go for a walk, which is probably the reason his mother hadn't taken him away. She'd had nowhere to go.

"So, of course, you immediately went to the hospital to collect the boys." Albus finally spoke.

"Yes, they're upstairs. I had to sign several papers before the social worker would release them into my care, so we didn't arrive here until just a little bit ago."

"What's the problem, then?"

"I cannot take care of two eleven year olds, Albus!" Severus said his head snapping to the side to look at the headmaster in disbelief. "Especially, Dursley! He's a muggle, Albus! Potter would be bad enough by himself, but Dursley…"

Albus raised his hands as if in defeat before speaking, "For now Severus there is not much that can be done. Let them stay for the summer. We will discuss the situation more as the school year comes to a start."

Snape sighed in resignation, lacking the energy to argue further.

"Well," Albus said cheerful, rising from the chair, "I hope the rest of the day goes better for you and the boys, Severus. Don't hesitate to call again if you need anything."

"Good day, Headmaster." Severus said as politely as possible through gritted teeth.

Once the headmaster had stepped through the grate Severus found he had a strange desire to throw something.

Severus remained in the living room for a few moments collecting and sorting his thoughts before going back upstairs. He'd have to set down some rules for the two boys. Regardless, of how they had been raised in the past he wouldn't have them running wild in his home.

He'd have to feed them as well.

Severus's eyes narrowed as he tried to recall what he had edible in the kitchen. School had let out the week before and Severus really hadn't had a need or desire to go grocery shopping. The house elves had given him enough food to reheat to last him a week, but the food was nearly out now.

At the top of the stairs, Severus stopped to observe the Dursley boy. Dudley had somehow avoided most of his father's abuse. Granted the child had only been home for about a week, but considering the damage Vernon had inflicted on his nephew it was surprising that Dudley didn't have a mark on him.

Severus moved quietly until he was standing directly behind the boy.

Dudley seemed much less upset then when Severus had gone downstairs. If anything he looked more bored now then angry. The boy would learn that Severus didn't tolerate disrespect and temper tantrums.

"If you're ready to speak civilly, Dursley, I will allow you out of the corner."

Dudley shrugged, his arms crossed, refusing to look at Snape.

Snape's eyes narrowed and he counted to ten in his head before speaking.

"You will answer aloud, boy, or you will find yourself stuck in this corner for the rest of the day."

"I don't want to sit here anymore." Dudley said stubbornly, the pout apparent in his voice.

"Obviously," Severus said through clenched teeth. He took a deep breath before continuing. "I suggest Mr. Dursley, that you learn respect…quickly."

With a wave of his wand the sticking charm was gone and Dudley was on his feet.

"Follow me."

Snape was already to the boy's bedroom before he realized that Dursley, while indeed following him, was dragging his feet.

"MOVE!" Snape bellowed, causing the boy to jump and practically run towards the bedroom.

Once in the bedroom Severus pointed towards the bottom bunk keeping his other hand clenched tightly at his side.

Dudley for his part seemed to have developed a minuscule amount of self-preservation while in the corner because he sat down on the bed without whining.

Severus stared at him for a moment, watching the large boy fidget.

"As I hope you've discerned for yourself I do not tolerate any disrespect. I realize that a great deal has happened since school let out last week, but that does not give you an excuse to act like a spoilt toddler. I will allow your behavior thus far to slide without further consequences, but let me warn you now; I will not be so forgiving in the future. Do I make myself clear, boy?"

Dudley opened his mouth, no doubt to test the professors patience's some more, but was stopped short as the Professor quickly jumped in.

"Allow me to give you a hint, Dursley. The only acceptable answer is: yes, sir."

Dudley's mouth snapped shut and his eyes narrowed as his face became red. He responded through gritted teeth, his hands balled into fists on the bed.

"Yes, sir."

Snape nodded, satisfied for the time being.

"Don't move." Snape whirled around, his robe, as usually, billowing dramatically behind him as he left the bedroom.

Snape knocked on the bathroom door. "Potter, are you finished in there?"

"Yes, Professor" was the quite reply as the door opened to reveal a now clean and no longer bruised Potter.

Who was wearing the same dirty and stained clothes as before.

Snape released a huff. He'd have to stop by the Dursley's house and gather some clothes for the two boys. Turning around he headed determinedly back to their room.

Harry followed instantly.

Once in the room Snape pointed towards the bottom bunk.

"Sit."

Harry obeyed sitting as far away from his cousin as possible.

"Seeing that I have to feed the two of you I need to go pick up some groceries. When I get back we will have an early lunch before going to gather some of your personal items from Privet Drive. While I'm gone the two of you will not leave this room unless you need to use the restroom. The house is well warded to keep anyone from entering without my permission as well as both of you inside."

Severus paused for a moment before continuing in a softer voice that few were familiar with.

"You've had a very long night. I suggest you take a nap while I'm gone."

"Nap!" Dudley sounded shocked. "I'm not a baby. I don't want to take a nap!"

"Then rest quietly on your bed until I return, boy! That is the only alternative. End. Of. Discussion."

Severus swirled around and left the room slamming the door closed behind him. Completely, unaware as to what would happen when he left.

Harry quickly jumped up from the lower bunk and pulled himself up to the top one confident that his obese cousin wouldn't be able to follow since there was no ladder.

"Stupid vampire." Dudley mumbled before calling up to Harry. "This is all your fault, Freak!"

It was evident to Harry that Dudley wanted to pick a fight.

"If it weren't for your freaky parents and that freaky school you go to we wouldn't be staying with the ugliest vampire of all time."

Harry, in an attempt to ignore Dudley, lay down as close to the wall as possible and covered his head with the pillow.

"Hey!" Dudley shouted, standing on the edge of the bottom bunk. He wasn't able to pull himself up, but if he held on with one arm he could almost touch his cousin with the other. "Hey, are you listening to me?"

"Shut-up, Dudley!" Harry finally screamed sitting up in bed. "You should listen to Professor Snape." Dear God I hope Ron and Hermione never find out I said that. "If you think being stuck in a corner is bad wait till he has you dice rat livers."

Dudley's face began to grow red and Harry was reminded horribly of Uncle Vernon.

Chapter End Notes:
Okay, so due to complaints about how vague the first chapter was I decided to go ahead and post the second chapter.

How do you think Snape will react to Dudley's actions in the next chapter?