Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 12
 

)O(

 

Severus leant back in the armchair and watched the teenager sleeping. They had played the chess game for just over an hour before Severus had looked up and realised the boy had drifted back to sleep. Reluctant to wake him, he had stayed put, taking the time to really look at the young man.

 

The light in the hospital wing was harsh and highlighted every mark on the pale skin. Severus found himself cataloguing each line and blemish on the boys face and arms and matching them with the events that Poppy had so expertly dragged from the boy the day before.

 

Blasted, useless, pathetic, muggles, he thought savagely. He hoped Peeves was having fun. A slight smile crossed his face. That plan had been particularly inspired and he was looking forward to Peeves report.

 

He heard Poppy's office door open and a moment later a large squashy armchair in a hideous purple colour appeared beside him. He didn't look up as the headmaster quietly took the new chair and conjured a pot of tea and three mugs. Poppy soon joined them and the three staff sat in silence for a long time.

 

Eventually the headmaster turned to his dark colleague.

'Severus, are you talking to me?' he asked quietly and Severus heard the uncertainty and sadness in the older man's voice.

 

He looked at Albus's curiously flat blue eyes and grimaced.

'I can hardly judge you where Mr Potter is concerned, can I headmaster? I'm still coming to terms with my own role in all of this.'

 

Albus sighed heavily. 'You cannot blame yourself for this Severus. You were neither his head or house or guardian. You have had minimal interaction with the boy over the years and Harry chose not to confide in any of the adults here.'

 

'And I'm sure that my constant verbal assaults made trusting adults in this school almost impossible.' Severus spat bitterly.

 

There was a moments uncomfortable silence and Albus's heart ached for his younger colleague. There was no denying that Severus's behaviour towards Harry had been deplorable but he would have given anything to find a comforting word for the man just now.

 

'You have had the opportunity to meet the Harry that the rest of us have known and cared for these many years Severus so I know that things will be different between you now. You must remember though, that you saw something we didn't. It was you who uncovered this and ensured that the boy will never be hurt by those people again.'

Albus paused as Harry stirred and moved slightly in the bed, grimacing even in sleep as his bones shifted and burned.

 

'I hold responsibility for placing him there,' he continued quietly. 'I did so against the advice of people I trust and will have to live with the consequences of that, as will Harry.'

 

Severus glanced sideways at his boss and tried to hide his smirk.

'How's the nose?' he asked deadpan and the headmaster smiled.

 

'I should have known that the school grapevine would have been working hard last night. I hope Minerva was not judged too harshly by her colleagues?'

 

'I believe Flitwick's words were, she's gone off her trolley' Poppy answered with a smile. 'They will all understand once they know.'

 

Albus inclined his head at her words and the slight censure they contained. 'I noticed you did not rush to my aid Poppy. A fact I am very grateful for. I was not in the frame of mind for company last night. Is Minerva all right?'

 

Poppy smiled, her expression warming slightly. 'Yes, she's fine. She was a little upset last night and is like all of us, feeling terrible about this. She has gone to Hogsmeade today to visit a friend and will be back for the staff meeting tonight.'

 

Albus looked back at Harry who had settled again and was sleeping deeply, his face flushed.

'Should we inform the rest of the staff? I know it's normal protocol but I'm concerned that Harry doesn't feel he is in a goldfish bowl yet again.'

 

Severus watched the boy thoughtfully. 'I think the more people around him that know, the better, but I would suggest you gain his permission first. It would also be wise to inform select members of The Order of the situation.'

 

'Perhaps, you could talk to him Severus. I want to let him come to me when he is ready rather than invade his space just now. Our relationship has been on somewhat shaky ground since Sirius's death.'

 

Severus glanced sharply at the older man. Potter had not been talking to the headmaster? That was news to him. It meant the boy had been even more isolated over the last few months.

 

'I will talk to him this afternoon, once this hideous spell has finished it's torture,' he said heavily. 'Do we have a long agenda for this evenings meeting?'

 

Albus shook his head. 'We have covered most things. The legal process has already started with Delores Umbridge and we appear to have a missing Poltergeist but other than that, it should be a light evening. We still don't have a defence teacher and with Slughorn's death, I am at a loss as to where to look next. That's a problem we are not going to solve this evening. I was going to suggest drinks in my rooms afterwards before the students return tomorrow.'

 

Severus smiled. 'I know I could use a drink and I think I can take one thing off the agenda. Peeves isn't missing, he has been...reallocated.'

 

Poppy gave her colleague a sharp look and the headmaster frowned.

 

'Why do I think I'm not going to like this?' Albus said sternly.

 

Severus's lip curled in amusement and the effect was rather startling. It reminded Poppy of a rather enraged,feral animal.

 

'I take it you read the full report Poppy prepared yesterday,' he asked the older man and the headmaster nodded sadly.

 

'Then you will have read about the cupboard under the stairs?'

 

Albus and Poppy both scowled at the reminder of that particular detail.

 

'Well, I may have sent the Durlseys' a letter saying that something sad had happened to Harry and that we would be sending someone round to explain; and I may have then arranged for a new occupant for that blasted cupboard.'

 

Poppy snorted in amusement. 'You've let them believe that Harry is haunting them?' she laughed incredulously and Severus nodded with a grin.

 

Albus frowned and looked sternly over the top of his glasses. 'Now Severus, I cannot condone you running around implying that students have died to their next of kin. Even in these circumstances.'

 

Poppy couldn't help noticing that the lecture seemed rather half hearted.

 

'What if they opened the cupboard?' she asked curiously.

 

'They they would see a pearly white version of Potter lying on the floor groaning.'

 

Albus buried his face in his tea cup as he tried not to smile and Poppy snorted loudly.

'I didn't even know Peeves could take other forms?'

 

'Oh yes,' replied Severus with a grin. 'He's gotten rather good at it over the holidays 'He got lot's of practice in with Umbridge.'

 

Albus chocked on his tea and Poppy sniggered into her hand.

 

'You sent him after the toad,' she stated gleefully and her colleagues grin widened.

 

'Clip-clop, clip-clop,' Severus mimed evilly and even Albus couldn't hide his smile.

 

'Remind me never to get on your bad side, Severus,' he said evenly. 'You really do scare me sometimes.'

 

Rather pleased with that response, Severus helped himself to a ginger biscuit and topped up his cup.

 

'Have you thought about asking Lupin to return?' he suggested and both his colleagues looked at him in astonishment.

 

'Severus, I can't believe you are suggesting Remus after...well, last time.' Poppy stated frankly.

 

Severus looked at his tea and did his best to feign disinterest.

'Yes, well despite everything he was a half way decent teacher and with Lucius Malfoy out of the picture the board is unlikely to object. I can't see the Ministry likely to intervene either; not whilst their last little interference with the school is splashed all over the front page of The Prophet.'

 

Albus nodded thoughtfully.

'You would really have no objection Severus?'

 

Severus shook his head. 'I'm also aware that he and Potter grew close. It would be a good support for the boy. I dare say the wolf is much more touchy feely than I.'

 

Poppy lay a hand on her colleagues arm and answered softly.

'...and yet it was your arms in which the boy curled up and cried yesterday.'

 

Albus gave his colleague a surprised and slightly watery smile.

'I hadn't realized just how far the two of you had come these last few weeks Severus. I'm proud of you.'

 

The headmaster stood and quietly banished the purple chair.

'I will send an owl to Remus and see if he would be willing to assist us once more. May I include your blessing in the note Severus?'

 

Severus inclined his head slightly. I must be bloody mad, he thought shakily. If the wolf eats me I will only have myself to blame.

 

Poppy looked thoughtfully at the younger man beside her as the headmaster disappeared around the infirmary doors in a swish of lime green robes. There really had been an enormous shift in Severus. He had always been more protective of the students than any of the staff realised but he rarely let anyone close enough to impact on him.

 

Somehow, Harry had broken through. It was wonderful to see.

 

'Will Draco Malfoy be returning tomorrow?' she asked quietly and he shook his head, looking troubled.

 

'No, the funeral is next week and Nacissa is considering sending him to another school. I think she is hopeful that with his fathers influence removed that he may be able to forge a different path.'

 

'Would that be safe for him here? To change allegiances like that?'

 

Severus grimaced. 'Truthfully? I don't think so. There are rumours that Draco has already taken the mark. I think a new school abroad is probably a wise decision just now.'

 

'Do we know how Lucius got out of Azkaban in the first place?'

 

Severus smiled wryly. 'No, but he certainly wasn't there for more than a few weeks. Our new Minister for magic is not looking good at the moment and his influence is seriously reduced. It is all good news for us. Albus's influence is strong and more than ever he is being seen as the steady voice of reason whilst the Ministry bumble from one crisis to another. It makes it that much more difficult for The Dark Lord to gain any real power. Even if he did seriously infiltrate the Ministry, there is not enough consensus to pass new laws or make any significant changes. '

 

'So Lucius's actions have bought us a little more time.' Poppy stated quietly and her colleague nodded.

 

'We had better use it well,' he added seriously.

 

)O(

 

Harry sat on the floor of the common room, rearranging his pile of books. Most of them were to be returned to the library and a few were to go back upstairs. It had been nice using the common room as his own private study and it was going to feel strange having the place full of students again.

 

He thought back to his conversation with Snape that afternoon. He had been surprised to find the man still there when he had woken up. Snape had been reading The Daily Prophet and eating his lunch and hadn't seemed at all annoyed that Harry had fallen asleep in the middle of their game. He had saved their places so they could continue at another time.

 

Madam Pomfrey had given him a quick check-up and released him and Snape had walked him back to his common room. He had explained about the staff meeting and his discussion with the headmaster and Harry had given his permission for them to tell anyone they thought should know.

 

Snape's last words at the door to the common room had stayed with Harry all afternoon.

 

'I want you to know that my office door is always open if you need to talk about any of this Potter and the headmaster wanted to convey to you that you may visit him any time you wish. I understand that things have been strained between the two of you this year, but he is very concerned for you and extremely upset that you have been mistreated in this way.'

 

Harry had not been certain that Professor Snape would continue to be OK with him once term started again but he seemed to be saying that Harry could still go to him for help if he needed it. It made Harry feel safer knowing that there was another person on his side. It felt like Hogwarts was suddenly a different place, everything had changed.

 

He returned his books to the library and tidied his room before joining the staff and Hufflepuffs in the hall for dinner. Professor McGonagall sat next to him at dinner and gave his knee a quick squeeze before turning to talk to her colleagues about the latest book on transfiguration. He didn't know if he was imagining it but the rest of the staff seemed a little nervous with his head of house. He wondered if she had given them all a telling off about something?

 

Harry chatted to the other students, explaining his splint as an old injury that hadn't healed properly and they all immediately assumed it had something to do with Lockheart and his disastrous attempt at first aid in second year. Harry did not correct them and noticed an amused look thrown his way by Snape.

 

He went back to the Hufflepuffs common room with them after dinner and enjoyed the final evening with the four of them. This time tomorrow the school would be packed and he planned to talk to Ron and Hermoine as soon as he could.

 

Eric shared out their last bottle of butter bear and threw himself down on the sofa with a sigh.

'This has been a really great holiday,' he stated happily and Harry smiled wryly.

 

'I can honestly say my best Christmas yet,' he agreed and Emma and Morgan both arghed and ruffled his hair.

 

'You're welcome here any time you like, our honorary Hufflepuff,' Morgan said with a smile and Harry grinned.

 

'It's been great getting to know you,' Harry said seriously. 'I sometimes wish the houses weren't as separated as they are.'

 

'Maybe we should do something about that?' Emma suggested and Eric nodded thoughtfully.

 

'Yeah, lets give it some thought and meet up soon.'

 

They all agreed with a toast and as the glasses clinked Harry could have sworn he felt a slight pulse of magic rush over his fingers.

 

)O(