Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey! Where did all my reviewers go? You've all abandoned me beacuse it took so long to update haven't you? Come back! I need you guys.
Chapter 14
 

Breakfast had not been nearly as bad as Harry as expected. The three Hufflepuffs had been so excited to see Remus again that they had almost dived on him as he entered the great hall. Harry had carefully avoided making eye contact with the rest of the teaching staff and concentrated on the conversation between Remus and his friends.

 

Professor Snape had arrived a few moments later and after quietly congratulating Remus on his new position had gone to sit alone at the far end of the table, leaving several spaces between him and the rest of the staff.

 

Harry smiled broadly at Remus, delighted to hear that he would be teaching again and after promising to pop by his office later in the day, excused himself and went to sit at the opposite end of the noisy table. Harry slid into the seat opposite Snape and quietly poured himself a cup of coffee.

 

Severus glanced up at the boy at then returned to reading his paper, his heart strangely warmed by the fact that Harry was sitting with him and not at the opposite end of the table with the wolf and his friends. He quietly offered the boy the sports pages which Harry took with a small smile, turning automatically to the weekend Quidditch scores. They both returned to their breakfast in silence whilst the rest of the staff fought bravely to keep their own conversation flowing and ignore Minerva who was crying into her cornflakes.

 

)O(

 

Harry spent an enjoyable few hours in the air on his broom, laughing as Emma practised the moves she had learnt on her house mates. He was careful not to get involved with any actual plays as he didn't want to risk his wrist whilst it was still mending. Instead, he pushed the speed on the broom as far as it would go and weaved in and out of the stands, perfecting his turns and braking.

 

After lunch, he helped Remus unpack all his books and straighten out his office; pleased when the rest of students came to help. He could see Remus was pleased too and it helpfully meant the Professor couldn't question him any more about the Dursleys.

 

Harry collapsed on his bed with a sigh and looked at the clock. It was four 'o'clock, which meant he could get a few hours sleep and then be up and ready for the rest of the students arriving. He had practised a few hundred times in his head what he would to his friends and he thought he had it almost learnt by heart. He was most worried about Ron. You could never be sure just how Ron was going to act to any given situation. Despite the tension in his gut Harry quickly drifted to sleep, waking just as the sun was setting over the great lake.

 

He showered and changed, carefully layering his clothes under his cloak to add a few much needed inches to his waist and wandered down to the great hall. Most of the teachers were already milling about and Harry knew his friends would be in the carriages by now, heading up the hill towards to castle.

 

In no time at all he was accepting hugs and 'Happy New Years' from his house mates and the hall was filling up rapidly. Harry was teased, slapped on the back and had his hair ruffled before he slid into a seat beside Ron who had given him a sharp look and a tentative smile before sitting down. Hermione sat opposite them and was quickly joined by Luna and Neville, who had apparently got together in the holidays.

 

The start of term notices were given, the feast began and finally the noise dropped to a level that allowed conversation. Harry turned nervously to his friends.

 

'So how was The Burrow,' he asked Ron, spooning a large helping of roast parsnips onto his plate.

 

Ron and Hermione exchanged a look and then Ron answered quietly. 'A bit weird to be honest mate. Christmas was great but there were so many order members coming and going it was all a bit tense. You know about Malfoy?'

 

Harry nodded. 'Yeah, I saw it in The Prophet. I heard Draco's not coming back this year.'

 

Hermione nodded, leaning forward. 'It's not just Draco. We heard on the train that Crabbe, Goyle and Nott have left too. Nott's family have all gone into hiding. Apparently, his dad was one of the death eaters that was killed the same night as Malfoy.'

 

They all glanced over at the Slytherin table that was clearly showing a few empty spaces.

 

Ron sniggered. 'Snape's not going to have any students left at the end of the year if this keeps up.'

 

'Did you hear what The Order has got planned?' Harry whispered and Ron shook his head before glancing back at Hermione.

 

'No, only...,' He looked at Harry anxiously. 'They called a meeting on New Year's Day and Fred and George were there and afterwards...well, Charlie had a word with me and said I needed to look out for you this year and be a good friend. I think the meeting was about you.'

 

Harry nodded seriously. Here goes, he thought with a sigh. 'It was Ron,' he said quietly.

 

Hermione leant forward. 'You're not in trouble are you?' she asked anxiously and Harry smiled.

 

'No, it's just, well; I'm not going back to the Dursleys'.'

 

Ron's eyes widened. 'Really? Not ever? That's brilliant!'

 

Harry grinned. 'I know.'

 

'Harry, what happened?' Hermione asked leaning over the table to lay a hand on his arm.

 

Harry realised that Luna and Neville had turned to listen and in a split second decision, decided to include them in the conversation as well.

 

'Well, you know that Ron's dad and Moody had a word with Uncle Vernon last summer at Kings Cross?'

 

The four listeners nodded avidly.

 

'Well Vernon didn't take that very well and he...well, he kind of took it out on me over the summer.'

 

'What do mean 'took it out on you'? Neville asked sharply and Harry grimaced.

 

'Well, he knocked me about a bit.'

 

Hermione's hand tightened on his arm and Ron hissed beside him.

 

'That git!' Ron exclaimed. 'Why didn't you say anything?'

 

Harry looked down at his plate and put his fork down with a sigh.

 

'I was embarrassed Ron and I thought I could hide it all.'

 

'Hide what?' Hermione asked softly and in response Harry slid up his jumper sleeve to expose the green plaster and shrugged apologetically.

 

'He hurt you,' she said quietly. 'He really hurt you.'

 

Harry nodded and stared at his plate for a few moments.

 

'Anyway; Professor Snape realised what had happened over the holidays and he's sorted it out so I don't ever have to go back.'

 

Neville swallowed nervously. 'Snape! Really?'

 

Harry looked up and nodded, giving the boy a wry smile.

 

'Neville, he was brilliant. He's been giving me potions lessons and everything. He arranged this meeting with Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall and I had to talk about everything that has happened which was horrible, but he sat with me the whole time and he's been really kind..' Harry stopped and drew in a deep breath, realising he was rambling.

 

'Is that why you were wearing the glamours?' a dreaming voice interrupted and the rest of them looked over at Luna who was staring at the enchanted ceiling as if she had never seen it before.

 

'What glamours?' Ron asked, looking between Harry and Luna with confusion.

 

'The glamours Harry always wears after the summer holidays to hide how thin he is and all the bruises.' Luna answered quietly, still not looking at any of them.

 

There was a moments horrified silence which Hermione broke with a shocked 'Harry!'

 

Harry winced and smiled apologetically at her.

'I didn't mean to be dishonest with you,' he said quietly. 'I'm sorry I didn't tell you.'

 

Ron laid an arm around his shoulders. 'Mate, are you OK, I mean...bruises? What did he do to you?'

 

Harry looked up and met his friends eyes for the first time. 'I'd rather not go into it now, but it was pretty bad. He broke my ribs and wrist and...well, he has this belt..'

 

Hermione drew in a sharp intake of breath and took his hand in hers whilst Neville and Luna leant in supportively.

 

Slowly and tentatively, Harry told them about his experience of the summer and everything that had happened over the Christmas break. To his enormous relief, no one yelled or shouted and Ron's arm never left his waist. He hadn't planned to have this discussion at the dinner table but somehow it had seemed the right thing to do.

 

At the staff table, three sets of eyes were watching the conversation discreetly; with varying levels of nervousness.

 

'It seems to be going well.' Remus said quietly and beside him the potions master nodded in accent.

 

'Mmm, we'll see how well Weasley copes before rolling out the banners. The boy is notoriously unreliable.'

 

Albus moved the food around his plate in a half hearted manner. His thoughts were dark these days and he watched the five youngsters with distress. No child should be having to sit at a table with his best friends having that kind of conversation. Their heads should be full of mischief and the Quidditch season, not worrying about how to support a friend through something this horrible. Giving up on his dinner, he dropped his fork and turned to his two younger colleagues.

 

'Harry will need both of you over the coming months. He has not sought me out during any of this and I don't expect him to in the near future. I'm afraid Sirius's death still hangs between us quite heavily. I do hope you will be able to put aside your differences enough to be of use to him. It shouldn't fall on the shoulders of teenage friends to help him through.'

 

'Although, these are not exactly normal teenage friends,' Severus pointed out softly.

 

Remus glanced sideways at the man in surprise. 'No Severus, you're right. Danger and adversity forge extremely strong bonds.'

 

'Like the famous 'Marauders',' Severus hissed with a snarl and Remus inclined his head in acknowledgement.

 

'Yes actually,' he answered quietly. 'They were more like brothers to me than friends but as you found to your cost, that kind of intense relationship at such a young age can also be destructive. Fortunately, that bunch,' he indicated the five Gryffindor's. '..don't have a cruel bone in their bodies and are already more mature than we were even in adulthood. I don't doubt for a minute that they can help Harry through this.'

 

The three men watched as the friends finished their puddings and then headed for the dorms, Harry's hand firmly tucked in Hermione's.

 

Severus poured some brandy into his glass and after a moments hesitation, filled Lupid's glass as well.

 

'Good luck with your first class tomorrow,' he said evenly as he stood and pushed in his chair and then left, the glass of amber liquid clutched in his hand.

 

'Thank you Severus,' Remus answered to the retreating back, exchanging a surprised glance with the headmaster.

 

'It was really Severus that suggested me?' he asked quietly and the headmaster nodded.

 

'I believe Severus has grown rather fond of Harry over this last few weeks and has been forced to re-evaluate some of his previously held positions about Harry and perhaps Potter's in general.'

 

Remus shook his head wryly. 'I don't see how the Dursleys' actions change who Harry is? He's still the same child we've always known.'

 

'Ah yes,' the headmaster answered gravely. 'But you must understand, in cases like this, perception is everything.'

 

Remus glanced back to the potions master, whose dark robes were just swirling out of view as he headed off to settle in his young snakes and nodded thoughtfully. Things had certainly changed at Hogwarts over the last few weeks and not just for Harry and Severus.

 

The Order were going through some upheavals as well. No longer were they prepared to just follow Albus blindly into battle, believing the man somehow knew all the answers. Clearly he didn't and Harry and Sirius had paid dearly for those mistakes these last few months.

 

Remus looked at the weary man beside him and realised sadly that he was in for a rough time. Remus couldn't help but think that the older man had brought most of it on himself and he could only hope that things would start to improve now for young Harry. It seemed that Severus was firmly in Harry's camp now and that made Remus smile. It was going to be a year of changes for all of them.

 

)O(