Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 22
 

)O(

 

Harry stepped out of the floo into his head of houses office and sighed as he felt the familiar magic of Hogwarts soothe him. He really did love this place. It had been easy to forget that over the last few years when half the school thought he was crazy and Umbridge was stalking his every move.

 

Now things were going much better and his christmas break had allowed him to connect with the castle once again. He looked around McGonagall's large office, surprised to find it empty and smiled at the rich red furnishings. It didn't look that much different from the Gryffindor common room really.

 

The door opened and Harry shuffled nervously as both Professor McGonagall and the headmaster came in.

 

'Welcome back Harry,' the stern witch said gently. 'Is Severus behind you?'

 

Harry fidgeted. 'He's just saying goodbye to Mr and Mrs Weasley.'

 

With a flash of green, the imposing potions master stepped into the room and lay Harry's trunk down beside the fireplace where it immediately disappeared, presumably to the Gryffindor dormitory.

 

'Did you want to do this now Albus,' he asked in surprise and the headmaster turned his gaze to Harry instead of answering straight away.

 

'Did you have any other questions or concerns about going ahead with the ritual Harry?'

 

Harry shook his head, avoiding the headmaster's gaze and giving his answer to Snape instead.

 

'No Sir. I'm sure I want to do this and have already signed the papers. I really don't like the brand part of it but I understand that it's part of the deal and not your choice.' He paused for a moment searching for the right words. 'I trust you and Professor Lupin to not make this...erm, difficult or hold on to me without my consent.'

 

Severus's expression softened and he took a step closer to the boy.

 

'Is Lupin on his way?'

 

Minerva glanced at her pocket watch. 'Yes, he should be here shortly. He has collected all of the herbs we will need and Poppy wanted to be here for you as well.' She gave Severus a stern look and he scowled.

 

'I am perfectly fine Minerva. I do not need a nurse watching over me for a simple bonding ritual.'

 

Harry watched the exchange curiously, wondering if he should be more worried than he was about the professor.

 

The arrival of Remus and the schools mediwitch stopped any further questions and Minerva moved around the room lighting the large pillar candles that floated in a large circle. Remus moved behind Harry, his hand coming to rest on the teens shoulder.

 

'Are you ready Harry?' he asked quietly. 'I realise we have somewhat ambushed you as you have just arrived back at school but I thought you may get nervous if we delayed too long.'

 

Harry noticed how all the adults eyes were watching him carefully, whilst seeming to be engaged in getting their parts of the ritual ready.

 

'I think I'm ready. Is my bit difficult?'

 

'Not at all Harry,' Remus answered kindly. 'You will be asked questions at various points and you just have to answer honestly and from the heart. Once the bonding is complete then you, me and Severus will be marked and that will signify the end of the ritual. Albus can then send all the paperwork to the ministry to make it official with them.'

 

'I think we are ready,' Minerva said softly and Remus led Harry into the centre of the room to stand beside a large circular table. The table was covered in candles and Harry recognised the parchment he had already signed weighed down by a large rock. A small brass bowl emitted a cloud of sweet smelling incense and a leather bound journal lay open to the appropriate page for the working.

 

Harry looked round at everyone as he stopped in the place Remus had indicated. He noticed that Poppy and Minerva had moved out of the circle of candles and taken a seat on a small sofa to watch. The headmaster stood before him with Remus to his left and Severus to his right making a square.

 

Both professors had removed their robes and rolled up their sleeves leaving their forearms expose and Harry winced as he caught sight of Snape's left arm. A large bloody bandage covered what Harry knew to be his dark mark and there were four nasty looking burns at each corner of the bandage.

 

Alarmed, his gaze flew to Snape's face and the man shook his head lightly.

 

'It's all right Harry. Madam Pomfrey and I have found a way to block the pain but it has required causing some damage to the nerves surrounding the mark. That's what the burn marks are. It doesn't look pretty just now I know but will improve soon.'

'Shall we?' the headmaster asked quietly and everyone's focus returned to him.

 

After a brief moment of silence the older wizard started to chant in Latin and Harry felt his breath hitch as the atmosphere abruptly changed and the air temperature appeared to drop several degrees. He had forgotten just how powerful his headmaster was.

 

He felt Remus's hand grip his arm to steady him and he nodded slightly in thanks. After several minutes the chant came to an end and Dumbledore turned his attention back to the three young men stood before him.

 

'We are gathered to forge an apprenticeship contract between Severus Tobias Snape and Harry James Potter in the Mastery of Potions; additionally a contract between Remus John Lupin and Harry James Potter in the Mastery of Defence. '

 

He smiled at the trio. 'Do all parties agree?'

 

'We do,' the two professors answered together and a heartbeat later. 'I do,' from a quiet and slightly shaky Harry.

 

'Relax Harry,' the headmaster said with a smile. 'I know it's formal but the magic is friendly here.'

 

Harry didn't really understand what that meant but he felt a little calmer all the same.

 

'Severus Tobias Snape, you will hold the senior role and pastoral responsibility for your charge. Do you accept this duty?'

 

Harry watched as Snape paused to remember his lines and then recited softly.

 

'I Severus Tobias Snape accept the apprentice Harry James Potter in bonding to me for a period of not less than three years. I vow to teach my field with all diligence and integrity and not knowingly abuse my authority in word or deed. I accept the primary pastoral role for this apprentice and all the parental responsibilities that entails. I vow to protect his safety and well being, and will support his primary Mastery in Defence however I may.'

 

The headmaster smiled and turned to Remus.

 

'Remus John Lupin, you will hold the Defence Mastery and have seniority when it comes to the apprentice's studies. Do you accept this duty?

 

'I Remus John Lupin accept the apprentice Harry James Potter in bonding to me for a period not less than three years. I vow to teach my field with all diligence and integrity and not knowingly abuse my authority in word or deed. I accept the primary teaching role for this apprentice. I further vow to submit to Severus Tobias Snape in all matters of discipline or well being for the apprentice and support the additional learning in the field of potions however I may.'

 

'That was well done boys,' Albus said softly as the energy in the room crackled and sizzled with the gathering magic. His focus shifted to Harry.

 

'Your bit is a little simpler Harry. Are you ready.'

 

Awestruck at the power of the ritual he was immersed in Harry could only nod numbly.

 

'Harry James Potter, do you enter this apprenticeship freely and without coercion?'

 

'I do,' Harry said firmly and the magic leapt adding a purple tint to the air. Dimly Harry was aware of Madam Pomfrey's gasp in the background.

 

'Do you commit to this bond until both Professors Snape and Lupin consent to release you or a period of seven years has passed?'

 

'I do.'

 

'Do you agree to submit to their leadership and guidance in your studies and to Professor Snape in all areas of discipline?'

 

Harry swallowed nervously, a mental flash of Uncle Vernon's particular brand of discipline causing his legs to start trembling. Remus shuffled in place and Harry knew the man's exceptional sense of smell would have picked up his spike of fear.

 

Harry closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths, mentally pulling up memories of Snape tending to him when he was ill and holding him during the medical exam as he cried. He felt his heart slowly calm and the fear settle.

 

His voice shaking slightly and with his eyes closed, he focused on the magic around around him and quietly spoke.

 

'I Harry James Potter agree to submit to Professor Lupin and Professor Snape in my studies and follow as best as I can their advice and guidance. I....,' he paused and swallowed heavily. '...I agree to submit to Professor Snape in matters of discipline and trust him to know what's best.'

 

Harry opened his eyes and met the headmasters piercing gaze for the first time in months; feeling a little embarrassed at his childish words in the midst of such a solemn ceremony. He was surprised to find the man beaming at him and the air around them shimmering with gold flecks.

 

'I will now complete the ceremony and the magic will read your intentions and seal the bond. You should all focus on everything you want from this apprenticeship and that will help decide the form of your marks. Please place your left hands on top of mine.'

Severus lay his hand on Albus's and gave Harry a nod who tentatively followed. Remus completed the pile, giving Harry's hand an encouraging squeeze.'

 

'I should warn you that there may be some pain during the forming of the mark but it is vital that you do not pull your hand away until the ritual is complete and the circle falls. Now please direct your thoughts gentleman.'

 

Harry closed his eyes as the headmaster began to chant in Latin again and pulled forth all of his hopes for this unexpected new chance at life. He concentrated on his strange and mixed feelings for Snape, his hopes for the skills to survive and defeat Voldemort and his positive memories of Remus teaching. Unbidden the image of curling up in Snape's arms lodged in his brain and the feeling of complete safety that had encompassed him. He remembered the way the rest of the world had felt locked out, even in the midst of the that awful medical.

 

The magic swirled around them and Harry could hear the sound of rushing wind as a slow burn started on his left wrist, the skin around it tingling. It slowly increased in intensity until he found his face screwed up with the discomfort.

 

A blast of energy flew through his body and he heard as if from a distance the hiss that escaped Snape's lips. He felt Remus's hand start in surprise above his and then the world was darkening, the edges of his vision blurring as his knees buckled beneath him. He heard a sharp 'Harry!' as he fell and then he knew no more.

 

Severus had watched in awe and then growing alarm as the magic around them had built to a level he had never experienced before. The sudden rush into the three of them had driven him to his knees and he found himself unable to assist, or even move as Harry's eyes rolled back into his head and he collapsed in Remus's arms.

 

He was aware of the gaping sense of loss as the magic dissipated and the circle dropped, all of the candles extinguishing themselves as one. He saw Poppy and Minerva rush over and knew that Albus was grasping his arm and speaking urgently to him but he couldn't hear the words. With a sigh he gave in and let the incoming darkness take him, falling unconscious to the floor beside his new apprentice.

 

)O(

 

For a moment there was real panic as the remaining adults flew to Harry and Severus's side but once Poppy had confirmed that both were stable and Albus had ascertained that the ritual had completed then the tension dropped a notch.

 

Remus sat awkwardly on the floor with the teenager draped across his lap while Poppy made the necessary arrangements to have them all transferred to the hospital wing.

 

'Are you all right Remus,' the headmaster asked quietly and the tired looking man gave a wry smile in answer.

'I'm not sure I could stand up just now but I am otherwise OK. I've never felt anything like that Albus. Do you think this is magical overload?' he asked glancing down at Harry's pale face.

 

'I'm sure that is part of it, yes. Young bodies are rarely exposed to that level of magic and this was an exceptionally powerful bonding. We may need to keep young Harry asleep for a few days whilst his core absorbs the excess.' He chuckled and added, 'I may need that myself. May I see the bond mark Remus?'

 

The younger man held out his wrist and two sets of eyebrows rose in surprise.

 

'Well that's different,' Remus said with a smile in his voice and the headmaster nodded his agreement.

 

'Indeed it is my boy, indeed it is.'

 

)O(

 

Harry drifted up from sleep with a heaviness in his limbs he had never experienced before and a strong sense of disorientation. He lay quietly for a moment, wondering why he felt so uneasy until the sound of footsteps clipping across stone floors in the distance encouraged him to open his eyes.

 

He focused blearily on the high arched ceiling and instantly recognized the hospital wing.

 

'Fuck!' he whispered hoarsely.

 

'Detention Mr Potter and don't let me hear language like that from you again.'

 

Harry jumped as his eyes flew to the right side of the bed to be confronted by Snape sat a small wooden desk, it's top covered in papers. He eyed the man warily but relaxed when he saw the amused smile on Snape's face.

 

'Sorry Sir. I really, really hate the hospital wing. Did I fu...erm mess up the ritual?'

 

'No Harry,' Snape put down the paper he had been reading and turned his chair to face his young charge.

 

'The ritual worked exactly as it should have. It was just a little more powerful than any of us were expecting. Professor Dumbledore believes that is something to do with the combination of all our magic. It is unusual to have four very powerful wizards in a circle like that.'

 

Harry coughed and attempted to sit himself up, surprised at how weak his arms felt. He barely noticed as Snape moved over to assist and pile a few extra pillows behind him. He found a water glass pressed into his hand and sipped gratefully before relaxing back against the pillow with a sigh.

'I can't believe I fainted. How embarrassing.'

 

An unidentified emotion flashed across the professors face before he smiled faintly.

 

'It wasn't exactly a faint Harry. You were overloaded with magic and it put you in a coma. You've been unconscious for five days. You've had everyone very worried.'

 

Harry's eyes widened in astonishment. 'Five days! Bloody hell, I had only just caught up with my homework.'

 

A soft chuckle drew both of their attention to the end of the bed where Remus had quietly appeared.

 

'I wouldn't worry too much about your work Harry. You have proven yourself up to the task of self directed study.' The slight man lowered himself onto the edge of Harry's bed. 'It's very good to see you awake; we were all concerned about you.'

 

'Sorry,' Harry muttered weakly, taking another sip of his water. 'Trust me to turn a simple ritual into a drama. My life is never normal.'

 

Severus's eyebrow rose as he smirked. 'Mmm, it's true that trouble seems to follow you but if it makes you feel any better, you weren't the only one to lose consciousness.'

 

'I...I wasn't?' Harry looked between the two man in confusion and Remus smiled fondly.

 

'Your esteemed potions master also spent a couple of days in dreamland and I had to be carried here. It was several hours before I could stand unaided.'

 

Harry looked at Snape who's expression clearly emphasised that any teasing or humorous comments on his collapse would not be welcome and Harry swallowed nervously.

 

'So it worked then? I'm your apprentice now.'

 

Snape nodded briefly. 'You are. Professor Lupin has been drawing up your new schedule and it will begin on Monday.'

 

'It's Friday afternoon Harry,' Remus added anticipating Harry's next question. 'You should also know that your new status was explained to Gryffindor house last night and they have unanimously voted to offer you honorary house membership so that you can remain in the tower.'

 

Snape snorted disdainfully but Harry knew better than to believe the man's mockery now. He has seen for himself how close Professor McGonagall and Snape really were.

 

'That's good,' he said with a smile. 'I had visions of having to move in with the Snakes if they decided not to let me stay.'

 

Remus laughed. 'I am sure your Seeker skills alone would have guaranteed that your house would hold on to but you also have good friends there Harry. Only Ron, Hermione and Neville know that you have been here this week. As far as the rest of the school is concerned you have away for the last two weeks staying with family.'

 

Remus paused and looked to Severus for guidance on how to proceed. Snape paused and then picked up where his colleague had left off.

 

'Professor McGonagall had been getting a lot of questions about your whereabouts and if you were OK. I believe there was some concern amongst the seventh years in your house after they saw you break down in the common room. Minerva decided that a little of the truth might be the way to dispel those concerns and stop any of the more outlandish rumours that were flying around. She explained to your house that both your aunt and uncle were unwell and that your uncle had been in hospital for a while. Unfortunately Mr Thomas was less than discreet about the injuries he saw on you and had expressed his belief that they were Voldemort induced. We saw no reason to dispel that particular rumour and gave a more detailed account of the events in the department of mysteries to your house.'

 

Remus added. 'In light of all of this then an apprenticeship will make a lot of sense to the rest of the school. In their eyes your family are no longer well enough to care for you and you have a dark lord after you. Extra defence training will surprise no one and everyone knows that my condition would prevent me having sole responsibility for a child. You may find your house a little protective of you for a while though, especially now they know you are bound to the evil Professor Snape.

 

Snape gave a rather sinister grin at that. 'I'm tempted to play to that a little, it wouldn't hurt to have your house feeling worried for you. It will keep them sharp.'

 

Harry smiled shyly. It was odd to be sat here hearing Snape talk about pretending to be mean to him rather than just being on the receiving end of the act with no warning.

 

He glanced down at his wrist and let out a small noise of surprise. A dark purple symbol was imprinted to the left of his pulse point. It looked like a runic symbol. He turned his hand over noticing immediately the lack on a band.

 

'I thought there was meant to be a manacle type of thingy?'

 

'Thingy?' Severus sneered. 'Is that your version of English Potter? I would hate to have to add remedial language classes to your rota.'

 

'A manacle Harry? Is that the way you thought of the band?' Remus asked sadly and Harry blushed, looking down, missing the look of concern exchanged between his professors.

Slightly embarrassed, Harry was distracted when Remus undid the cuff of his shirt to expose his wrist.

'It appears that the magic interpreted our intentions a little differently this time.'

 

Harry peered with interest and confusion at the older man's mark. On his wrist were two symbols in a similar style to Harry's and around his wrist was a thin, faint purple band. Snape had followed suit and Harry saw two symbols and a thick band that circled his wrist. Snape's band had an intricate pattern that looked woven into his skin and appeared to be two tone. It was quite beautiful and reminded Harry of some of the Celtic tattoos he had seen muggles wearing.

 

'It appears the magic thought that we were ones who needed to be bound to you rather than the other way around,' Snape said wryly and Harry grinned.

 

'Does this mean that you have to make my tea for the next seven years?' he asked cheekily and Remus laughed.

 

'Severus Snape, the teasmaid. I'm liking the image.'

 

'Watch it wolf. Your potions is particularly difficult to brew and easy to sabotage.'

 

Harry sniggered and focused his attention back on his water glass as Snape scowled and Remus smiled gently. The defence professor eventually cleared his throat and continued the explanation.

 

'It appears that the magic decided to focus on our roles within the bond, rather than the subjects that we will be teaching you. The symbols are a sort of Celtic shorthand. I know they look like runes but it is really just a collection of symbols that were used in ancient documents to speed up the recording of events. It's quite obscure but something I have been studying recently. It is likely something that the spell saw that in my thoughts and decided to use it. It took Albus and I a couple of days in the library to translate.'

 

'What do they mean?' Harry asked curiously.

 

Remus coughed and glanced at Severus before answering softly. He pointed to his own wrist.

 

'Well, this one means 'guide', and the other one 'teacher' and the band is a representation of my responsibility to you; and Severus's symbols...well. The top one translates as 'protector' or 'guardian' depending which translation you need and the bottom one means..' he trailed off and looked to the other man for permission.

 

Severus nodded curtly and Remus continued.

 

'...the bottom one means 'father'.'

 

Green eyes flew to black ones as Harry's thoughts raced. He had never seen Snape looking so grave or so hopefully as he watched Harry's reaction. Stunned, Harry could only nod in understanding. Father! The bond had marked Snape as his father.

 

Harry's glanced down at his own mark and fingered it lightly.

 

'...and...and this?' he asked faintly. Remus's expression softened and the compassion on his face was almost Harry's undoing.

 

'Yours means simply 'son'.' he whispered and Harry felt his eyes fill with tears and his throat thicken. He nodded again and glanced back to Snape who still watching him intently. Without conscious thought he leant forward and found the older man had done the same.

 

Face buried in Snape's shoulder he let the realisation wash over him. The ritual had marked them as father and son! Snape's arms tightened around him as he started to cry and he felt rather than saw as Remus moved quietly away. He finally had a parent; a real life living breathing father. It was overwhelming.

 

Many, many minutes later he allowed the professor to lower him down onto the pillows and tuck him in, shocked and also greatly moved to see that Snape's eye's were also red with tears.

 

'You should sleep some more Harry. I have a detention to oversee this evening so I will have to leave you for a few hours but I will be back immediately after dinner. The headmaster will be announcing to the school your apprenticeship this evening so it important that I am there. Will you be OK?'

 

Harry nodded tearfully and gave a weak smile.

'I'm more than OK. This is more...,' he swallowed nervously. '...more than I expected.'

 

'Me too,' Snape whispered hoarsely. 'I'm very honoured to call you son Harry and if I may request, you may call me Severus from now on. As an apprentice it is your right; even in class.'

 

Harry snorted in laughter. 'I can't wait to see the classes reaction to that!'

 

'Me neither. Messing with small minds is what gets me through the day.'

 

He ruffled Harry's hair and smoothed the covers. 'Go to sleep!' he commanded sternly and Harry closed his eyes with a grin, listening as his professors...no fathers footsteps echoed further away.

 

When Madam Pomfrey popped her head out of the office a few moments later to check on him, he was already fast asleep; a small smile still in place.

 

)O(