Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 27

A quiet pop caused Severus to wake with a jolt, his hand automatically reaching for his wand before his senses caught up. He sighed and rubbed his eyes as he took in the dishevelled state of his study.


One of the castles elves was quietly clearing away the evidence of his colleagues meal and drinks. The elf tip toed around the sofa where Lupin had dozed off against the arm. Minerva sat in a straight backed chair near the now dead fire, sipping a mug of coffee and brooding darkly.


Severus hauled himself upright in his chair and rubbed his stiff neck in annoyance. At his questioning glance, Minerva sighed.


'It's ten to eight and no, they haven't returned yet.'


He growled in annoyance and stalked towards his bathroom for a shower. What type of educator took their students off on dangerous missions and refused to even leave instructions on where to find them?


Now that he was thinking about it, what kind of guardian gave his permission for such foolishness? Severus slammed his palm against the wall and turned the shower on full; stepping under it's still cold spray with a sigh. He had managed about an hour and a half of sleep and felt pretty dreadful.


When he emerged from the bathroom, ten minutes later, a breakfast tray was waiting for him and a very ragged looking wolf.


Remus looked up with red eyes and gave a weak smile. Minerva has excused us both from our classes today. She said to go to bed for a few hours whilst she lets the Order know what has happened. She said she will call us both when Moody has a plan of action.


Severus nodded seriously. That was actually a good plan. If Albus and Harry weren't back by midday then they would know they were dealing with more than just a delay and Moody at least had the weight of the Ministry behind him if they had to launch a full scale search.


The two men ate as much of the tea and toast as they could stomach and then Remus left with just a silent nod at his colleague. Severus was surprised to feel a moments sympathy for the man; he looked truly devastated, as if Harry was already lost to them.


He supposed that with everyone Lupin had already had to bury, it was understandable for him to think the worst. Severus couldn't do that. Even thinking that he might have lost Harry was more than he could stomach. He had only just found the boy, he couldn't say goodbye yet.


To his surprise, sleep came easily to Severus. He had lain down fully dressed on his bed to rest his eyes and found himself being shaken awake several hours later by an apologetic Minerva.


'It's just gone one 'O' clock Severus. I have informed the Ministry that Albus and Harry are missing. There is an emergency Order meeting in fifteen minutes in the room of requirement.'


'The what?' he asked groggily.


'7th floor Severus, look for the red door.'


Ten minutes later he found himself walking up the stairs with Lupin, who had also slept; and had a good cry too by the look of his eyes.


'I didn't know this place was called the room of requirement,' Severus muttered. 'And I don't remember the door being red!'


He recognized the room as being the same one Harry and Neville had been running the study group in but was surprised to find the place transformed as he walked in the door.


What had been an enormous space was now a modest sized, dark, wood panelled drawing room with a large mahogany table running it's length. The current Minister for magic, Rufus Scrimgeor was already sat at the top of the table and both men winced at his sharp glance.


Severus had been interrogated by the man on his arrest after the first war and Scrimgeor had been incensed that the court had cleared him. He had also strongly opposed Remus's appointment at the school. The two colleagues exchanged a grim look before going to sit opposite the man.


Minerva sat at the top of the table, cradling a large mug of herbal tea and Severus hid a smirk as he recognized the smell. Well, if she must insist on drinking half a bottle of single malt!


The rest of the Order dribbled in, in groups of twos or three although Severus noted that none of the aurors were here. Kingsley and Moody flanked the Minister in official bodyguard roles and everyone else understood they were not to 'out' them as Order members. Arthur had come because his membership was already a matter of public record and the Minister nodded to him in recognition.


Once everyone was assembled, Minerva cleared her throat and began the meeting.


'I must ask everyone's apologies for high jacking the Order,' she said nervously. 'As you are all aware by now Albus Dumbledore and Harry Potter are missing. They left the school grounds at eight last night for a private Defence lesson. I was instructed that they would be back by midnight and to alert the relevant authorities if they had not returned by daybreak.'


The Minister scowled, clearly not impressed with their cover story.


'Does Dumbledore often take students off school grounds in the middle of the night?' He asked harshly and Minerva frowned, her lips pursing as she straightened in her seat.


'No Minister, but then we haven't had an apprentice in the school for many years either. I'm sure you understand that with the specific threat to this boys life then being trained by the only man that has ever stood against Voldemort and survived is a sensible idea?'


She paused before adding testily. 'And as you so recently expressed your concern that having Hogwarts involved in training the-boy-who-lived may cause a conflict of interests, I imagine he thought leaving school grounds for the training a sensible option.'


Bravo Minerva, Severus thought with a hidden smirk as the Minister flushed red and a flash of guilt crossed his face. So the Ministry had been trying to interfere with Harry's apprenticeship had they? Interesting.


Severus did his best to look confused and guileless as he interjected.

'Has there been concern about the apprenticeship Minerva? Professor Lupin and I have been careful to ensure Harry is receiving the same training that any other apprentice in these fields might get. As you indicated, specific threat training has taken place outside the school grounds.'


Remus leant forward and Severus hoped the wolf would play along. They hadn't exactly worked this out in advance.


'What exactly was the concern about a conflict of interest?' Remus asked, his voice expressing confusion.


The Minister shuffled uncomfortably. 'Nothing of major concern?' the gruff man answered. 'I simply wanted to ensure the boy was being properly prepared?'


'By restricting the training he can receive?' Remus asked guilelessly and the Minister practically growled his answer.


'It was not so much what he was taught...' he trailed off and Remus finished for him his voice soft and exuding sadness and hurt.


'….but who he was taught by. Well that explains why Headmaster Dumbledore has been teaching Harry himself, and taking him off school grounds.'


He directed this last part at Severus who shook his head sadly, playing along and inwardly applauding his colleagues performance.


'It does indeed Remus, it does indeed.'


Remus patted his colleagues arm in sympathy and the Minister shuffled again whilst Moody coughed loudly to avoid what would have likely been a snort of laughter. You would have thought the two men were life long friends for the performance they were giving.


'Yes well,' The Minister shuffled his paper and attempted to take back control of a rather uncomfortable situation.


'I applaud Dumbledore's attempts to keep things tidy and appropriate and we can only hope no harm has befallen him or Mr Potter. I have of course directed the auror department to treat this as a missing person's case of the utmost importance. The question is, do we involve the media yet?'


'I would highly encourage you not too,' Moody interjected. 'If they are hurt then alerting the Death Eater ranks means that they will be looking for them too. I would suggest we appoint Minerva as acting head and tell anyone who asks that Dumbledore and Potter are abroad training. That's likely to make the Dark One fill his trousers.'


Several people sniggered as Minerva sniffed in distaste. 'Really Minister, must your aurors be quite so vulgar?'


There was a table wide attempt to hide grins as the Order members recalled the rather blue bouts of humour that usually occurred between Moody and the fierce Scottish woman when they socialized.


Moody gave what might have been a wink in the woman's direction (it was hard to tell past his scars) before answering.


'My apologies Madam; What I meant to say was that Lord Voldemort fears both your headmaster and Mr Potter. The thought of the two of them preparing to face him may cause him some consternation.'


'Is there any way to tell if they have been captured?' The Minister asked, his comments clearly directed at Severus.


'I'm afraid I am no longer cultivating those contacts Minister. As you yourself noted, it would have been a conflict of interests.'


The Minister stared at the potions master, his dislike clearly evident. 'I was not aware that it was possible to just walk away without considerable cost,' he asked, a pointed look directed at Severus left arm.


Enough of this, Severus thought with a snarl whilst outwardly maintaining a calm, somewhat sad appearance.


'It's not Minister,' he answered quietly whilst rolling his sleeve up and laying his bare arm on the table.


There was a collective gasp as everyone assembled took in the sight of his Dark Mark. At least what had been his Dark Mark. The skin was raised and covered in weeping, partially scabbed blisters. It looked like the whole area had been burnt through to the lowest layers of skin. At each corner of the long tattoo was a raised area of white scar tissue.


Scimgoer's eyes flew up to lock with the Potions Master's. 'How do you stand it?' he whispered and Severus winced.


'I stand it because I have to and because Harry is more important.'


His words were quiet but they might as well have been shouted into the room for their impact. There was a moments silence as the inflection in Severus's voice was noted by all. Severus Snape cared for Harry Potter. It was both a declaration and a challenge and it was clearly heard as the Minister inclined his head in acknowledgement and Remus patted his arm; this time the gesture genuine.


'Beside,' Severus continued, covering up the mangled arm. 'I have received lots of help. Madam Pomfrey has been able to dampen the nerve signals in the area and the apprenticeship bond has also reduced the pain.'


'Interesting?' The Minister muttered. 'One bond interfering with another. You should perhaps write that up for the Department of Mysteries.'


'Already done Minister,' Minerva answered sharply. 'It would help of course if we knew who was trustworthy to send it too.'


The tension racked up a notch as the Minister accepted her inference that the Ministry was not entirely secure.


The group dispersed with their individual assignments and Severus reflected that it had been the first time she knew of that a sitting First Minister and the Order had met together like this; and without hexes being thrown as well.


Quite remarkable really.


Severus watched the Minister and his entourage leave and then turned to the acting headmistress.


'What do you want me to do?' he asked with a hint of desperation in his voice.


Minerva grimaced in sympathy as her two colleagues and the Weasley parents hovered.

'There is very little you can do at this point but wait. Severus, you have another matter that may need your attention.'


She pulled out a thick parchment envelope and handed it to him. This came for Albus this morning by urgent owl. I will support you if you feel you need to go?'


Severus frowned and took the envelope with apprehension. What could possibly necessitate him leaving Hogwarts just now? Especially with Harry still missing.


He pulled out the letter, noting that the envelope was already unsealed and stamped to say it had been checked for tampering. He instantly recognised the neat, flowery script of Narcissa Malfoy and read the contents with a sinking heart.


The remaining Order members watched in concern as the man paled and sat heavily in a nearby chair.


'Is everything alright Severus?' Arthur asked in concern but the man didn't seem to hear him as he continued to pour through the long letter.


Minerva sighed and answered for him. 'It appears young Draco Malfoy has attempted to take his own life and has done a damn fine job of it.'


Molly gasped and reached for her husbands hand.

'Did he...I mean is he...dead?'


'No but he is not expected to survive. He brewed a particularly powerful poison that is difficult to treat. The healers in France have done their best but he remains unconscious and the poison is continuing to affect his liver and kidneys. Narcissa has asked for Severus's help.'


Remus stepped forward and knelt before his sour colleague. 'Severus, we can keep you up to date by owl. I'm sure Minerva could arrange an international portkey; you could be back here in fifteen minutes if there is any news.'


Severus looked up from the parchment, his eyes haunted. 'I can't...how can I, how can I go when Harry...'


'Remus is right Severus,' Minerva said sharply. 'Under normal circumstances I would suggest you stay and keep teaching but I suspect you would go stir crazy waiting. This way you have something to concentrate on and if nothing else you should get the chance to say goodbye to your godson.'


Severus raised haunted eyes to his stern colleague, taking in her harsh but very accurate words. He nodded bluntly.

'You can make me a portkey?'


'I will see to it immediately Severus. Floo to my office when you are ready to go.'


Ten minutes later Severus was packed and standing in Minerva's office as Remus hovered looking sad and irritated.


'You will contact me immediately if there is any news?' he demanded of his colleague and the man sighed.


'Of course I will, and Severus,' the man paused, stepping forward to lay a hand on Severus's shoulder. 'You are not abandoning him. There truly is nothing you can do until Moody comes back with a potential location list.'


Severus stared hard at the office wall while he sought to bring his emotions under control. I.will.not.cry.in.front.of.the.wolf, he chanted in his head until he felt his breathing settle.


Minerva strode purposefully into the office, a small wooden box in her hand which she handed to her potions master. The activation word in 'rescue' and to bring you home 'sanctuary'. It's not strictly legal so try not to activate it in company. Narcissa has given me the passwords to her wards so this should take you straight into their reception hallway.'


Severus opened the box and took out the small pewter ball, before gathering all his bags under one arm. Remus recognised one of them as Severus's travelling potion kit. He have his colleagues one deep searching look and then activated his portkey, disappearing in a blurry haze.


Remus turned to his colleague with a deep felt sigh.

'How worried are you?' he asked with trepidation and Minerva sighed before sitting heavily at her desk.


'I'm beyond worried right now Remus, although if it's any consolation I checked Albus's portrait after the meeting. It's stored in a room in the attics.'


'It's still?' Remus asked sharply, relieved when his colleague nodded.


'Yes, it's still a painting. Wherever they are we know that Albus at least is still alive.'


'Perhaps we should have Harry sit for a portrait when he gets back,' Remus suggested tiredly. 'It could be reassuring when he keeps disappearing like this.'


'I think we should have everyone in the Order sit for one,' She responded dryly. 'Heaven knows I wish the Potters had sat for one. I would very much have appreciated their input on Harry over the years.'


Remus visibly sagged in his seat. 'I do too; I hate the fact that the only memory he has of them is Voldemort murdering them.'


Minerva's head shot up. 'What?!'

'It's what he hears when dementors approach Minerva. His parents screaming for their lives. It's the only real memory he has. At least if he had a painting he would be able to see how they talked, how they moved; that weird thing James did with his eyebrows.'


Minerva laughed briefly before exchanging a sad look with her tired looking teacher.

'We will find them Remus. Or they will find their way back. This is Harry and Albus we are talking about after all.'


Remus nodded and left the room silently. Moody had given him some research to do about past escape points and safe houses. Relieved to be doing something, he headed back to his office and the pile of journals Moody had left for him.


)O(


Harry laughed as Sirius finished the story about how he and Remus had trapped themselves in a fourth floor cupboard for three days and the rumours that had followed them for the rest of that year.


'That's hilarious,' he barked. 'So everyone thought you were a couple and were up there smooching!'


'Yep!' Sirius said with a laugh. 'Although that wasn't so far fetched at the time with Remus's inclinations.'


Harry chocked on the sip of water he had taken and he looked between his dad and godfather. 'Remus's gay? Really?'


'Well,' his father answered carefully. 'He swings both ways if you know what I mean.'


'In other words he's anybody's' Sirius declared deadpan, earning himself a slap on the arm from Lily.


'Sirius Black! You take that back right now! Remus was always very shy. He was certainly not...well...'


'Easy?' James suggested helpfully.


'A player,' Sirius interjected.


'A horny wolfman?'


A sharp glare shut both men up although they continued to snigger.


Harry smiled tearfully at the three adults. This was great. Sat here talking with them all. He sighed softly and Sirius pulled him closer. He was now practically sat in the man's lap.


'I didn't know that about Remus. I've never seen him with anyone. I think he's lonely.'


The mood sobered and James squeezed his hand. 'He's had a very, very hard life Harry and he's not keeping very well health wise at the moment.'


'Can I help him?' Harry asked seriously and Lily smiled, touching his cheek lightly.


'You are helping him Harry; more than you could ever know. He's delighted that you are apprenticed to him and Severus. It means so much to him. He's very sad that you have been hurt so much and he feels terrible about it.'


'Everyone feels terrible about it Harry,' James said softly, glancing over at the prone headmaster who was still muttering in his sleep.


Harry's expression hardened and James gripped his hand tightly. 'He truly didn't know Harry. He didn't know that Vernon was hurting you.'


Harry looked between his parents faces in confusion.

'He put me there!' he cried in anger, a few tears slipping from his eyes which he wiped away angrily pulling his hand from his mothers.


Lily immediately grasped it again and gripped it between her own, looking to her husband for guidance.


'What do you know of that time Harry? After the first war I mean.' James voice was soft and serious.


'Not much,' Harry admitted. 'I know everyone was celebrating whilst I starved in a cupboard.'


'Oh Harry,' James whispered, wiping his son's face tenderly. 'I'm so very sorry we weren't there; That we couldn't protect you from that.' He took a deep breath and then continued. 'It was a horrible time Harry. The Ministry was in a mess. There were daily court sessions for all of the captured Death Eaters. No body knew where to start rebuilding or who to trust.' He paused to wipe the tears that were pouring down Harry's face. It seemed that now he had started crying, he couldn't stop.


Sirius picked up where James had left off. 'There were hundreds of petitions to the courts to raise you Harry. Many were from pureblood families in influential positions. Many of those had served Voldemort during the war and were now claiming to have been under the influence of Imperius. Albus knew from his spy that there was a plot to get revenge on you. To adopt you and then arrange for an accident.'


Harry shuddered. 'That's why he sent me to the Dursleys'?' he asked quietly and James nodded.


'He tried to get the Ministry to allow him to adopt you himself. I think he hoped that the laws might be softened to allow werewolves to raise children and then Remus could take over but it didn't work. He was challenged by Lucius Malfoy and there is no doubt than Lucius would have won.'


'So what happened?' Harry asked confused and Lily picked up the explanation.


'The wizarding world values blood lines above everything else. The only way Albus was going to be able to keep you out of Lucius's clutches would be to place you with those who shared your blood.'


'The Dursleys'' Harry stated flatly and James nodded.


'It was the only other option and it allowed Albus to extend the effects of your mothers bravery and place blood wards around Privet Drive. He knew that you would have a difficult life there but he never thought they would hurt you. When you turned up all skinny and waif like,' James ruffled his hair while Harry snorted in outrage. '...he thought that maybe Petunia was a bit uneducated when it came to food. Many muggle families don't eat well. It's the biggest crisis facing their world at the moment. He never imagined that they were actually withholding food from you.'


Harry nodded numbly as he looked back at the ageing man.


'So you're saying I should forgive him?'


James smiled softly. 'You are right to be angry Harry. There are many, many people who failed to see what was happening to you, but Albus didn't hurt you. He did everything he could to keep you safe. I'm not saying he's innocent in this but I think you are maybe blaming him for everything because it's safer to be angry at him than it is to be angry at Vernon and Petunia.'


'Them you can hex into cockroaches if you want,' Sirius added, earning another slap from Lily.


'I was thinking earwigs actually,' Harry added deadpan and the adults laughed.


'Petunia's terrified of earwigs,' Lily said and Harry nodded knowingly. 'I know; what do you think made me think of it.'


Sirius hugged him hard and kissed the back of his head. 'We love you kid, you know that right?'


Harry dropped his head as the tears started flowing again.


'I know,' he whispered. 'This is so amazing. Just hearing your voices is so...'


James chuckled. 'Do we sound how you thought we would?' he asked and Harry shook his head avidly.

'Not at all. Mum's accent is really strong although I don't recognise it.'


Lily grinned. 'It's a Yorkshire accent Harry. I grew up in the Yorkshire Dales.'


'The dales?' He asked and Lily smiled.


'It's a bit like moorland. All hills and pretty wild. We lived there until I was fourteen and Pet was sixteen.'


Harry frowned in confusion. 'But Aunt Petunia doesn't sound like that at all.'


James snorted in amusement. 'Your aunt liked to pretend she came from a different background than she did. I think she was determined to sound like the queen.'


Harry laughed. 'Well that explains all the screeching.'


Lily kissed his hand and smiled gently at him. 'What about your dad,' she asked and Harry blushed.


'I..I really like your voice,' he answered, smiling at James's pleased expression. 'It's really soft and a bit, well...posh.'


Sirius roared with laughter while James blushed bright red.


'Your father's family lived in the Scottish Highlands for many generations Harry,' Lily explained. 'They seemed pretty posh to me too but living up there softened the accent quite nicely. It was the first thing I liked about him actually.'


'Really?' James asked his wife quietly and she nodded shyly. 'Not my charm and wit?'


'What charm and wit,' she teased and Harry grinned.


This was great. He didn't think he ever wanted to leave this place.


)O(


Albus drifted back to consciousness to the sound of laughter and soft voices chatting. He forced his eyes open and looked around the collapsed room in confusion. The nightmares still lingered on the edge of his consciousness and part of him was unsure if this was part of it.


His eyes focused on the far corner where he could see Harry huddled against a pile of fallen masonry and relief flooded through him. The boy looked fine and other than a few scratches on his face did not appear to be carrying any injuries. He recognised the glowing shimmer of the invisibility cloak and smiled. It was sensible of the boy to bring that.


Then the rest of the scene intruded on his senses. Harry was chatting happily to someone he couldn't see. Albus might have thought Harry was taking to himself if not for the soft glow that illuminated the whole corner and the fact that he could hear whispered voices talking back. At least two he thought in confusion; a male and female.


He tried to sit up but found there was no strength in his muscles and the only answering response in his body was a flash of pain through his injured arm. He sighed and closed his eyes. Regret flooded through him. Would Harry be able to escape this room by himself? He knew the wards on this chamber were extremely strong and set for only a hand full of people.


He could feel the curse reaching up his arm towards his armpit and knew he would not last much longer.

'I'm so sorry Harry,' he whispered. 'So...very sorry.'


Albus's eyes drifted down again, too tired and confused to work out the strange voices that echoed around the destroyed room. He let the blackness carry him away.


)O(


James was midway through telling Harry about his parents first date when he broke off and glanced back at the headmaster, his face sobering.


'Is Harry ready?' Sirius asked quietly and James nodded.


'I think so. Either way we have no choice; we are running out of time.'


Harry looked between the two men with confusion. 'What is it?'


James smiled at him. 'We were waiting for all that chocolate to metabolize in your system Harry. You are going to need the energy.'


Sirius squeezed him tightly. 'The curse that was on that ring is a terrible one Harry. There is no counter curse or treatment that can fix it, however...'


He trailed off and James picked up. 'The fact that you can attune to magical energies means you can help him. I'm going to talk you through it but I think that you can remove the curse and help Albus.'


'Now?' Harry asked and his parents both leant forward to pull him into a hug.


'Now Harry, but you have to promise to stop if your father tells you too. This will be very dangerous for you.'


Harry nodded in agreement and James squeezed his shoulder.


'Good boy. Lets go see if we can pull this stubborn old man back from the veil shall we?'


)O(