Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Last Chapter!
A Place and Season
"Do you want to chop these up?"

Harry looked over to where Draco stood at the bench with a pile of fresh ingredients. He had been moping for three days now, endlessly, from morning until the close of the shop. There had been close encounters with a few shop customers, and one even had the nerve to ask if he was Harry Potter. Harry had just scrubbed at the stubble on his chin that he had allowed to grow there in order to disguise himself as he mopped, and said no, before hurrying back to the lab with the mop. It was true, he thought to himself: he wasn't Harry Potter anymore. He didn't know who he was, but he wasn't Harry.

"Er, I don't know." He leaned on his mop handle and was startled when Snape walked into the room a second later with his nose in a book.

"Do it anyway Potter."

Without hesitation Harry leaned the mop against the counter and moved to stand next to Draco, who offered him a small knife and instructed him at what size to cut each thing.

"What potion are these for?" Harry asked.

"Nothing," Draco told him. "Just ingredients to be canned and sold, or used later."

"Oh."

They worked quietly side by side until Snape left to tend to some customers at the counter, and then Draco looked over and said, "You're pretty good at that."

Harry didn't know what came over him, but he let a smile slip past his numbness as he said, "I make a pretty good potion too when there's nobody to throw rogue ingredients into my cauldron."

Draco looked at him sideways and didn't fail to notice the grin. "You knew?"

"Why else would I fail Potions every day you were in class, but not when you were gone?"

With a roll of his eyes Draco set out some canisters from the bench behind them and began scooping ingredients into them before giving them a label and sealing the lid on tightly.

"Maybe I was getting back at you for tying my shoelaces together in the halls by wand all the time."

Harry remembered vividly watching Draco go sprawling every once in a while, but shook his head. "That was Fred and George."

Draco clucked his tongue. "Liar, it kept happening after they left."

"Because Neville took up the cause."

"What? Longbottom did that for two years?"

Harry nodded with a grin, knowing that Neville had always felt empowered pulling one over on Draco, instead of being the one always picked on.

Snape listened in the store room for a moment as the two boys bantered back and forth, and then came back into the lab. "Do you want a break Potter?"

Harry looked up and his smile faded a little, although Draco didn't notice as he continued to scoop ingredients into bottles.

"I don't know."

"Do it anyway. You look pale. Perhaps you should have another dose of anti-potion. I don't want to risk that there is still inscrutable in your system."

Harry did as he was told and left Draco to go and lay down, although he thought that he would have rather stayed and helped Draco. Wonders never ceased did they, he thought as he lay staring at the ceiling. There was a time, even just a few days ago, when standing next to Draco and chatting amiably would have been an absurd thought, stray and put down to rest in a graveyard of bad ideas somewhere long forgotten. He didn't dwell on it long however, and closed his eyes until he was prodded awake by Snape and handed the mop again late that afternoon.

* * *

Days passed. Harry mopped, and occasionally was asked if he would like to do something else, and his answer was always the same, he didn't know. And yet he was always told to do the task in the end regardless of his not knowing. Chopping ingredients, helping to brew a potion now and again, and once even, to tend the front counter for the last ten minutes before the shop closed, which thankfully resulted in nobody coming in and noticing him.

In the days that went by Harry struggled, and Snape watched as he did so. Harry was acutely aware that Draco also knew of his internal battles, but was more aware that Snape had kept an unusually close eye on him since he had arrived there. It wasn't the mopping or not knowing, or being watched that bothered him, but the new feelings arising in him that he didn't know how to deal with.

Since Draco had mentioned Neville, Harry had not been able to get him out of his mind. He had watched was two death eaters had dragged Neville to Voldemort on the front lawns of the castle, and then as Voldemort laughed and waved his hand merrily, giving the death eaters his permission to smother the life out of his friend with magic. It was then that Harry had charged the monster and sucked the life from him, just as the life had been taken from Neville.

Harry felt stifled in grief, and not only for Neville, but for his other friends and classmates also who had fallen in the battle, even for Percy Weasley, who had shown up last minute, only to have his life snuffed out as well, like a candle that had just been lit, and then been washed out in a raging storm. Nobody had even seen him fall, except for Harry. What he wouldn't give to be back in the thicket outside Blackpool, dying from poison and feeling no pain.

It didn't help either that he had hidden in the back room while Hermione had come into the shop asking for moonfruit to help aide in some magical experiment her master was trying to conduct. He listened on the other side of the wall, just out of sight, and reveled in the sound of his friend's voice, although he felt empty and sad when she had gone.

"Do you want to go after her?" Snape had asked, when he'd come back from the counter and seen Harry with his head against the wall.

"I don't know." With his answer he knew the command that would come, but it was too late.

Snape hesitated, and then looked down at him. "Do it anyway Potter." He had an interested look on his face, as if waiting to see if Harry would obey.

Inside, his chest was constricted. He was both sad, and happy to disappoint, and he was confused over his roller coaster emotions. "No."

Snape raised a brow. "You told me you did not know."

"I don't."

"Then go."

"I can't."

"Can't or won't?"

"I- I don't know! Just leave me alone!" He slid down the wall to the floor, mop still in hand as he clutched it for dear life. Why couldn't he just let him be? Going after her would mean some amount of happiness that he knew he should not be feeling after such solemn feelings about his friend's deaths, and it would also mean questions, and more pain... and yet, happiness also.

Snape watched him for a moment and when Harry gave a quiet sob, head bowed, he knelt down to the floor in front of him.

"Don't fight it Potter."

"Fight what?" Harry said in a strangled sort of voice.

"All those things in your head waiting to be let out. You keep yourself in a cage, mopping and doing meaningless tasks, because you don't want to make the decisions for yourself. I have given you purpose by ordering you to do such tasks, and have waited for you to make a decision on your own. You just have. Do not let the decisions stop there."

Harry looked up into the dark eyes before him. "Why?"

"Because ghosts don't make decisions Potter. Living souls do. Living souls make decisions, and feel, and deal with the world around them instead of hiding in a dark place they can not escape from."

"But I don't know how."

"I have seen you deal with worse. I have seen you deal with a great deal more than most people. Do not stop now. I would rather have the defiant pest from Potions class than the one who doesn't know who he is."

Harry wiped his eyes, a warm feeling that he could not remember feeling before sweeping through his chest. He rose suddenly and ran out to the front of the shop, and then out the front door, and down the street, and was gone.

Severus bowed his head. He had failed.

* * *

What was that? Her ears perked and she frowned as she listened for the sound again. There was only the noise of the hustle and bustle of the busy street. She waited for a few moments, and the continued on, but wait, there it was again. Was somebody calling after her? Draco or Professor Snape maybe? She didn't know many wizards in Blackpool.

Turning, Hermione searched the crowd and found no one, although some other people had noticed the noise as well.

"Who is that?" a man in a business suit stopped and asked another woman who had just come out of the alley.

"Some boy, standing in the street and calling, "Hermione! Hermione! Looked rather frantic if you ask me... pale and thin, and a mess of black hair-" she trailed off as Hermione rushed past the two of them and tore down the street. Her name was growing louder. Could it be? It did sound like him.

In the alley, Harry rushed past the few people going in and out of shops, heart racing in his ears, skin clammy. Would he be able to find her? He had to. He had this urgent feeling that if he didn't find her, he could not find himself. "Hermione! Hermione!"

And then there she was, running around the corner from the busy street beyond a crumbling brick building. She had paused in the middle of the small alley to stare at him, and he had stopped shouting long enough to stare at her.

"Hermione," he breathed, and she was running at him again, and then was there in his arms, hugging him tighter than he could ever remember being hugged.

"Oh my God. Harry, you're all right."

"I think that remains to be seen," he said, trying to catch his breath.

"Harry, where have you been?" she asked, ignoring the stares from some of the Muggles around them, and refusing to let go of her friend.

"I don't know Hermione."

"You don't know?" She let him go for a moment to look him over and make sure he was indeed alive and standing there before her.

"I was lost... and I'm here now. I'm right here." He could tell that she didn't understand, but it meant a great deal to him to know exactly where he was. They marveled at each other for a moment before there was another shout, and they turned to see Ron standing on the same corner Hermione had occupied a few moments before.

"Harry?" He seemed weary, as if his eyes might be deceiving him, and Harry gave a weak smile as Hermione shouted, "It's him Ron! It's really him!" Ron ran over and just as Hermione had done, took his friend up in a strong embrace and refused to let go.

"We didn't know where you'd gone mate. Where did you come from?" He let Harry go, but didn't step back very far as if afraid his friend might disappear into thin air before his eyes.

Harry gave a half turn and a feeble wave to the apothecary behind him, from which Snape was standing in the open doorway with a baffled look on his face, although Harry didn't see him there.

"Where did you come from?"

"I was on the other street and I was coming back to look for you again... some woman on Diagon said she thought she spotted someone who looked like you in Snape's apothecary... and then I heard somebody calling for Hermione and I came to see if she was ok."

Harry looked down suddenly and saw that Ron's fingers were interlaced with Hermione's and that she was wearing a ring.

"You're married?"

"The wedding is next month," Hermione said, and then added, "don't change the subject Harry. Are you all right? I don't understand what happened to you."

"I er... I left the last night of school... please don't ask me why. I just couldn't be there. And I wandered... everywhere. I used potions to keep myself concealed. I saw you in Dublin one time Ron, and Hermione in the shop just now," he motioned behind him again to the shop down the alley.

"And I needed supplies for more potion, and I came here... I didn't know Snape owned it or that Draco worked there. Snape recognized the ingredients I wanted I guess and cornered me... made me drink anti-potion. And he recognized that I was poisoned from drinking so much of it. He took me in and he and Draco have been taking care of me."

"For how long?" Ron asked, incredulous. "I was just in there the other day and Snape turned me away at the door."

"I know Harry said. He knew I didn't want to be found. A couple weeks I guess."

"Two months." Ron and Hermione looked up and Harry turned slowly to face Snape, who was standing there with his arms crossed.

"I... I've been here for two months?"

"And three days, yes. And I suggest you take the reunion inside, because you're drawing a scene; unless you want reporters..."

Harry nodded with a thankful look directed at Snape, that he didn't miss, and the four of them moved to the apothecary where Draco had returned now from his errand and watched in awe as they all came in together.

"'Bout time Potter. I thought I'd be stuck here with you all year while Master Snape was away at school."

Harry looked up and noticed perhaps for the first time a calendar on the wall above the counter, and saw that there was only a week left until Hogwarts started.

"I hadn't realized," Harry stammered.

"He is still ill," Snape said, and suddenly Harry was grateful that he had said something, because he was feeling weak and sick again all of a sudden. Ron and Hermione followed him to the back where he sat weakly on the brown couch, and stood uneasily in front of him.

"What now?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know," Harry admitted. In truth he hadn't thought about what would happen next when he ran out to find Hermione. He only knew that he had to do it or else be lost for good. Something that Snape had said had struck a chord in him, and he was awakened to the fact suddenly that he was Harry Potter, and without his friends, he truly was nobody, and certainly not himself.

"I want to see Ginny," Harry said. "I don't want her to keep turning down jobs because she's looking for me."

"She's at home. Hasn't found a flat yet since she doesn't work. And mum won't let me move in with Hermione until we're married," he added. "You can come stay with us."

"I- I don't know if I'm ready for that yet, but maybe Ginny could come here?" He looked up to Snape, who was standing in the doorframe as usual with his arms crossed.

"I already told you that you are welcome to stay as long as you need Potter. Although at some point I do imagine that Draco may kick you out so that he can have his couch back."

"I'm sleeping in his bed?"

"Don't be disgusting Potter. When there's nothing to do I sit and study for my mastery exams."

"Oh," Harry gave a little laugh then and so did Hermione.

"I'll bring her round soon as I can," Ron said, and beckoned to Hermione to follow him out. "Make sure he doesn't go anywhere," Ron directed to Draco, who rolled his eyes but gave a nod anyway. And then they were gone, and Draco left shortly after to go to his own flat for the evening, which Harry found out, was right upstairs.

The resounding quiet in the absence of his friends, of which he somehow now considered Draco to be one, was almost too much for him.

"Why did you help me?" Harry suddenly asked, looking up to Severus, who uncrossed his arms at the question.

"Why did nobody else help you?"

Harry frowned, not liking that his question had been answered with a question.

"I don't know."

"Because you weren't there. You came here, unwittingly, but still, you ended up on my doorstep. As much as I may have disliked you in the past, I could not turn you away."

"Because I was poisoned?"

"Because you did not even know who you were Potter. You needed help, and I did not have the heart to turn you away."

Harry pondered that for long, quiet moments. How was it that so much could have changed? Draco Malfoy was downright friendly, and Severus Snape had a heart. And he was Harry Potter.

"I don't know what to do after this," Harry said quietly.

"That is for you to decide. I cannot be there to make your decisions for you."

Harry closed his eyes, and thought after a moment that he could go to sleep right there sitting on the edge of the couch.

"However, before you plan on running off again, I would prefer that you came to me first. It would save everyone concerned a lot of worry."

His eyes popped open and he looked up at the man. "Including you?"

"I did not nurse you back to health and reality for the fun of it Potter. It is not altogether impossible that I wish to see you remain healthy and in the here and now."

Harry gave a little grin. "Yes sir."

A bell above the front door sounded, and Snape spied Ginny walking in hesitantly from his vantage point in the doorframe. "I would prefer to be absent for the explaining you have yet to do for your friends. However, if you are not here when I return, I will understand my job to be finished, for the time being," he added as an afterthought. Then he moved to the front of the store and Harry heard him tell Ginny quietly, "He's in the back. Do not be too harsh on him just yet... he's had a long walk home."

Harry and Ginny talked through the night, and were gone when Snape returned the next morning. There was a note taped to the mop leaning against the couch with just two lines: ‘Thank you for your kindness. Harry James Potter.' His name was underlined twice, and Severus allowed himself a small smile, the first of many more to come.

* * *

Six Months Later

"Oh how lovely. I'm so glad they've finally set a date!" Minerva cooed to Albus over the white embossed invitation she had just received by owl at the Head table. Severus looked down the long line of staff and noticed that they had all received one, along with a few seventh years down at the student tables, but he had not.

He frowned down into his coffee. Was six months all it took for Potter to forget what had been done for him? Apparently so. He had been happy to hear that the boy had been once again firmly rooted in reality, and had taken up a job at the Ministry doing something with experimental magic, but had not expected to go six months without hearing from the boy. He had of course heard all about he and Ginny Weasley getting engaged and living in a flat together, much to the discouragement of Molly Weasley, but had not heard a single word from the boy himself.

Severus finished his coffee in a hurry and left the staff table, but heard behind him the whisper of Minerva to Albus, "Well what did he expect? He can't expect an invitation after seven years of torturing the poor boy!"

Nobody but him and Potter's close friends, and Albus of course, knew what had happened in the apothecary. He was so wrapped up in his thoughts as he crossed the Entrance Hall towards the dungeons that he didn't see somebody standing in front of the great oak front doors until a throat cleared. He stopped just a step short of the dungeon stairs and turned to find a messy haired nineteen year old with glasses standing there quietly with a small envelope clutched in both hands.

"Come to deliver more invitations Potter?" He said it with such bitterness that Harry shrunk back a little, and then seemed to gather some courage and took a step forward.

"Just one sir. I wanted to deliver it by hand."

"Forget Dobby have you?"

Harry strode forward with a confidence Snape hadn't seen in him since before Voldemort had been killed, and handed the envelope forward. He stared down at it for a moment, and then reached forward a hand to take it quietly.

"I was hoping that you'd stand beside me and Ron at the alter. He's my best man, but I wondered if maybe you'd be there too."

Severus looked up, speechlessly, into the green eyes of Lily's son.

"Why?"

Harry looked down and fidgeted for a moment, before he looked up again and said, "James would have stood beside me if he were alive. He's not. And no other adult has done for me what you have. I wouldn't feel right about being up there without you."

Severus cleared his throat and opened the envelope, sliding the embossed paper and vellum out, and scanning down the calligraphy to see a moving picture of Harry hugging Ginny from behind in some green park somewhere.

"Draco already said yes."

"Mr. Malfoy will be at the alter with you as well?"

"Yes."

"He did not mention that you had grown close."

"I've been back to the apothecary a few times... and he comes over for drinks now and again."

Severus nodded. "I suppose I cannot leave my apprentice a Slytherin alone amongst lions then. You have put me in a position where I dare not refuse."

Harry grinned. "I know it will drive Professor McGonagall mad... but try not to rub it in too much."

A small smile played across Severus' lips as well. "Of course not. I will see you in August."

"Thanks sir." Harry gave him a wave and another grin, and left the same way he had come, through the front doors of the empty Entrance Hall.

Standing at the alter at Harry Potter's wedding. Wonders never ceased. And for Harry Potter, Severus mused, he hoped they never would.

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
The END! What do you think? Thanks for reviewing!