Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry this one took a little longer. Just so you know, the attack on Arthur Weasley took place a few weeks before Christmas break.
A Change of Fate

"They’re both in their pyjamas and have their teeth brushed, you can read them a story, and if they fall asleep you can put them to bed. If they don’t they can wait for me to return and I’ll tuck them in," I told Minerva at quarter to eight that night. She nodded to show she understood. "Knock on the door to my office if you need me."

"We’ll be fine Severus, you’re sounding like a nervous parent," Minerva said soothingly.

I glared at her for calling me that. Though she was rather right, I sure felt like a nervous parent. I said goodbye to the children and entered my office, shutting the door behind me.

Albus was would be arriving for our meeting shortly, if he was true to his word. I planned to blast him away with the evidence I’d gathered against Harry’s realitives. I had even sent a letter to Ronald Weasley to ask what he knew about Harry’s home situation. I was glad he had agreed to share, instead of keeping it quiet. Personally, I thought Weasley wanted to give Harry the chance to get out of there. Thankfully I had received his letter shortly before the children got back, if they had been around they might have been worried by my furious reaction. Because I had a few minutes, I sat down in my office to re-read the letter again, anger bubbling up once more.

Professor Snape,

Harry doesn’t talk about his family much, but from what he’s told me they aren’t very nice. And no, I don’t think they physically abuse him or anything, but I know for sure they don’t feed him enough. Especially in the summer before fourth year when Harry practically had to live off birthday cake and snacks we mailed him because his Aunt was making the entire family follow this insane diet his fat cousin was on.

And then there was second year when me and my family went to get Harry from his relatives because he wasn’t writing back and we found him locked up in his bedroom. They had bars on his windows! Harry said it was because a house elf (Dobby, he’s working in the Hogwarts kitchens now) visited him and did magic and he got blamed for it. He was absolutely starving when we got him to the Burrow because he had been living off nothing but tinned soup!

     About the cupboard, he had to sleep in the cupboard under the stairs until he was eleven because his cousin Dudley "needed" two bedrooms for all the toys and things his parents spoiled him with. Which reminds me, in first year Harry was absolutely shocked that he got presents on Christmas! Christmas, Professor! And it wasn’t because his Aunt and Uncle don’t celebrate it. That’s pretty much all I know, but I’m sure there’s more.

I really hope you can get him out of there, my parents can’t convince Dumbledore to let him come straight to the Burrow and he really hates it at the Dursleys. Please don’t tell Harry that I got involved or anything. He doesn’t like to bring it up, and I doubt he’d like me to. But he has to get out of there, it’s horrible.

-Ron Weasley

P.S. If you make fun of Harry and his situation in any way I’ll go straight to Dumbledore. My mum also said she’d do more than just hex you, and you do not want to see her angry, trust me!

Despite the situation I found myself amused by Weasley’s warning; I rolled my eyes just as a knock sounded on the door.

"Enter," I said.

"Hello Severus," Albus said, taking a seat opposite me. He looked far too calm for my liking.

"Evening Headmaster," I said icily. "I trust you know why we are here?"

"Yes Severus, you have found something unsettling about Harry’s home life, have you not?"

"Indeed I have."

"You may proceed, I am listening," he said softly, eyes twinkling

I began, telling him of the signs I had seen through the way Harry had acted over the past week. Even the little things, such as never having a lolly, or how shy and skittish he was. And then came the larger pieces: Harry’s fear of being punished for such trivial things as getting a mirror dirty, his concerns of being thrown in a cupboard and the things he had confessed to me about his family. By the time I was ready to show Albus the letter the twinkle in his eyes had long receded.

"I owled Ronald Weasley to find out what he knew of the situation, and this was his response," I told the headmaster, handing him the piece of parchment. "Weasley wouldn’t just make these things up; especially a story that fits so well with that of young Harry’s."

The letter fell from the Headmaster’s hands and fluttered to the desktop. He looked up at me, tears in his eyes.

"I knew he was unhappy, but not like this Severus, not like this," said Albus.

"I want him out of there Albus. Not even James Potter deserves that. Abuse of this kind leaves scars far deeper than belts and fists," I said quietly, speaking from experience.

"Who will take him? Sirius is in no position and Remus would not be a very good option, sick as he is," Albus said, slightly bewildered for once.

"Isn’t it obvious?" I spat.

"You … you would be willing to take him?" He inquired, rather taken aback.

"Yes, but only with Harry’s permission, once he’s re-aged of course, " I said, feeling shocked that I was able to admit I wanted the boy around.

"Severus, Voldemort, if he finds out …" said the Headmaster, looking into my eyes, searching.

"He won’t. You know I can keep it secret."

"But Harry, will he not see through him?"

"He already knows how to conceal his memories. He just cannot control it," I told him softly. "I can recall only one or two memories of his family, the rest were at Hogwarts. How can that be when ten years were spent there, and only four and a half here?" I said.

"I have been informed that the occlumency lessons have not been going well," Albus warned.

"We had only had three lessons headmaster, before Harry was de-aged. Not to mention I had not realised that Harry had already applied defences. I assure you, knowing that will make it much easier to teach him," I said. "Oh, and is Arthur recovering alright?"

"Yes, he’s been out of the hospital for at least two weeks, and is doing fine," said Albus. "However, we must press on."

"Indeed Headmaster."

"If Harry accepts the adoption, we must not go through the ministry, not with Delores Umbridge and Rita Skeeter around. Luckily the laws permit us to do this quietly. All we will need to do is get Petunia or Vernon to sign custody over to you, or another person if Harry so chooses. I think there is a good chance he will want to stay with you however."

"Won’t we have to file the papers at the ministry?" I inquired, rather confused.

"Ah, I knew you would ask that. Nowhere in our set of laws does it state that we must go through the Ministry," Albus said slyly. "We will go through a muggle adoption agency."

Well that makes sense.

"Who will be sent to get the forms signed by Harry’s aunt and uncle?" I asked the Headmaster.

"I suppose I shall go," Albus said. I paused a moment before replying.

"I could go, I wouldn’t mind seeing what Petunia is up to these days," -and disrupting whatever that is. I added in my head.

"That would be fine Severus, but please, don’t do anything foolish," he warned me. I nodded curtly in response. "When will you go?"

"Oh, in time. Once Harry and Hermione are re-aged." I said, concealing the uncharacteristic giggles of glee I felt the urge to express. Petunia and her lumpy husband were in for it now!

We talked a short while longer before Albus departed, leaving me to see if the children were still awake. I figured that they would be asleep however, seeing as it was now about eight thirty. I was given more evidence to suggest my theory when I opened the door and Minerva tiptoed over to me. I raised an eyebrow at her charade.

"Hermione fell asleep right away," she whispered to me. "But Harry insisted upon waiting up for you, he’s coloring pictures on the rug."

"Thank you for watching them Minerva," I told her quietly, glancing over at the little boy, who was nodding off on his coloring book. I repressed the urge to smile.

"Anytime Severus," Minerva said warmly, creeping out the door as quietly as possible.

I knelt down next to Harry, brushing his hair out of his eyes. He stirred a bit as I took him into my arms, little hands fingering my robes a minute before waking. Harry smiled up at me with droopy green eyes, a look that stole my heart clean away. I smiled back at him, walking slowly to the children’s room where Hermione was fast asleep, bum in the air and arm around her blanky. I flipped Harry’s covers back and laid him down, holding Rexy out to him so he could grasp the worn red material. The little boy yawned, eyes glazed with sleepiness.

"Goodnight Harry." I whispered, he did not respond. All I got was a drowsy smile. But as I got up to leave the room I heard a little voice call after me sleepily:

"G’night Daddy."

I turned around in surprise, only to find Harry fast asleep. Walking back toward the little boy's bed, I studied him a moment. Fuzzy warmth grew inside me as I looked down at the sleeping child. Was this what it was like to feel needed?

Chapter End Notes:
I hope you liked it, I worked extra hard on this one. For some reason I really had to bust my brain ... Oh, and The next chapter is called 'A Day With Draco'. Get ready Draco fans!