Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
So, I had to break this chapter into two sections because it was a bit too long for PS. The two chapters have a bit of everything in it. Enjoy. ;D
Sword Hunting: To Even the Odds Part 1

The next day, I wake up bright and early for some reason. When I feel something on my chest, I glance down, smiling at the little blond-haired girl sleeping on me. I truly do love my little sister. She's so adorable that she even brings a smile to Dad's face. I then sigh at the mentioning of Dad.

"Daddy will understand in the end, Harry."

"Thanks, El," I reply, hugging her and kissing her forehead. "We should probably get up and go to breakfast, shouldn't we?" I laugh when Angel shrugs noncommittally. "Uh-huh, now why don't I believe you that you're not that interested in breakfast?"

"Cause you're a silly Gryffindor," she replies with another shrug before quickly darting out.

"Yeah, that must be it," I say, laughing. Honestly, how can anyone not find her cute?

Throwing off the covers, I slowly walk to the door and down the hallway to the kitchenette. I flash a brief smile towards Mum when she glances at me and sigh when I notice Dad's not here yet. I reach for my bowl and pour some cereal followed by milk into it. The silence quickly gets to me.

"So, where's Dad?"

"Right behind you," Dad's familiar silky voice drawls. Wearing a black turtleneck and black slacks, Dad silently takes his place at the island, holding a hand out a moment later to grab a cup of coffee. His eyes glance at me just for a second before he looks down at the Daily Prophet.

I watch him for a few moments, wanting to apologize but not knowing how to. I mean, sure, it's just three little words. But I'm not sure if I'm really sorry about last night, though. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I actually stand by my words. If that sword can keep Mum safe, isn't it worth looking for?

I then sigh. This whole thing is stupid. He's just trying to keep all of us safe. It's not like Dad doesn't want to find something that might help protect Mum from Mezra. He likely does want to protect Mum and keep her safe from everyone. But here I am, thinking that he doesn't give a damn about her when I know for a fact that's not true. Once more, I sigh heavily, slowly raising my eyes to glance at him again so that he can see the truth of my words.

"Dad," I quietly say, gaining his attention instantly. "I-I'm sorry about last night."

He doesn't respond, though. He just glances back to the Daily Prophet, resuming his reading of an article on the first page. In fact, he doesn't even seem to acknowledge my apology whatsoever.

"Did you hear me?" I ask, wanting to grab that damn paper from him so he looks at me.

"Yes," he replies, still refusing to glance at me.

"Aren't you going to say anything?" I then watch him close his eyes for a moment before he sets the paper aside and finally looks at me with a hard stare.

"I doubt you want to hear my reply, Harry." He then takes another drink of his coffee.

"I said I was sorry, though," I respond, staring at him in disbelief. This is just like being with the Dur—I quickly shake my head to keep me from finishing that thought. I'm just angry. That's all. Dad isn't anything at all like Vernon. "Dad, please. I'm sorry."

"I wish you were, Harry," he quietly says before sighing. "But we both know that you aren't."

I open my mouth to argue, but he quickly holds up a hand to silence me. I reluctantly close my mouth. After all, it's not going to do any good anyway.

"There's nothing wrong with not being sorry for last night, Harry. You spoke your mind. While it is an opinion that I disagree vehemently with, it is your opinion nonetheless based on your… feelings for Aurora. You wish to protect her, the same as I wish. But as true as your intentions may be, it does not cancel out my reasoning of why we should not look for that sword." He then releases a slow breath. "You care for her tremendously, and you likely want to protect her because you did not have the chance with Lily. However, it is not your responsibility to do so, Harry. It is not even your right." He then shakes his head at me when I try to respond. "Harry, please listen to me very carefully. If this Mezra woman makes another attempt on Aurora's life, it is my duty to protect her as her husband, just as it was James' right to protect Lily from the Dark Lord." He inhales slowly before speaking again. "You are fifteen, Harry. You do not have the necessary skills to protect Aurora fully."

"I could at least try, though, Dad," I argue.

"And if you did, I would lose you both then," he flatly states, glancing away. "I am unsure if I could survive that loss or if Draco and Angel could either. I am sorry, but do not look for that sword."

~SS~

Mid-afternoon, I'm sitting in the library alone, reading my History of Magic textbook. I keep replaying Dad's conversation with me over in my mind. Sure, he's right. I'm just fifteen. I definitely can't do anything spectacular that would save Mum from Mezra. I might be rather advanced when it came to Defense, but I'm just like any other fifteen-year-old in the world, lacking emotional control.

"Brooding in the library, young Master Harry?" drawls a familiar friendly voice.

"Not exactly, sir," I reply, glancing up at Declan.

"Ah, perhaps I was mistaken then," he says, taking a seat across from me. "But I could have sworn that you were brooding over what your father said to you this morning."

I slam my book shut instantly and look at the vampire. I catch his slightly raised eyebrow, but I shake my head. I don't want to get into this with him, especially since he's my Defense professor.

"It is understandable that you'd be upset, young Master Harry."

"So you agree with him then?"

"That you shouldn't go looking for Slytherin's sword?" he asks, which makes me nod. "I didn't say that, but nor did I state that you should. It is not up to me to decide in such matters. It is your father's right to give you such guidance. Even I cannot go against a father's wishes."

"Yeah," I reply gruffly.

"But as your father stated, your intentions are true. Thereby definition, your actions would be just. That is if you so desired to act against him."

"Being just, though, doesn't keep Mezra from killing me."

"No. It does not," he agrees.

"So it just makes me stupid in the end," I quietly say, hanging my head.

"I do not believe Severus thought that, young Master Harry. He understands your need to protect Aurora, and I believe a part of him is rather proud of you for thinking in such a way."

"But a bigger part of him thinks I'm wrong and that I'm just a stupid fifteen-year-old."

"We are all stupid fifteen-year-olds at one time, Harry," Declan points out with a laugh.

"Is Dad still talking to his mum?"

"More like interrogating, but yes," Declan answers. "Though, I doubt he thinks of it as an interrogation." The vampire then sighs, glancing at the books behind me before looks at me again. "You and Mr. Malfoy were very interested last night in Eileen's story."

I shrug in response. After all, what can I say? That we aren't curious about her return? Yeah, lying to a known vampire is just the thing to do. I then sigh.

"Yeah, we are, but it doesn't matter now."

"Why, young Master Harry?"

"Because Draco and I aren't there, so we won't hear it. And Dad likely isn't going to tell us."

"Ah, Mr. Potter, that is where you are mistaken," Declan says, chuckling. "You see, sometimes it is rather… insightful being friends with a vampire."

"Wait!" I exclaim with a look of shock. "You mean that you can hear it?"

"No, but I already know Eileen's story. I learned it last night when I saw her." Declan then smiles, glancing towards the bookshelf behind me. "Now if only Mr. Malfoy would join us, I could inform you two."

I whirl around instantly. Draco is here? My eyes then catch the silvery-blond as he slowly walks from behind the bookcase and towards us. I smirk at him when he plops down onto the bench moodily.

"So, what's her story?" the blond asks huffily.

"Eileen is the only child of Blair and Rayne Prince. While growing up, she lived a life of luxury at Prince Manor one could say. You see, the Prince family was considered by most to be a very powerful pureblood Wizarding family so she did not have the issues some children had at the time. She entered Hogwarts in '50 and was a model Slytherin throughout her school years. In fact, she was the captain of the school's Gobstones team. She graduated in '57 and just sort of disappeared from the Wizarding world for a few years."

"Where'd she go?"

"No one is quite sure about where she was, and she likely has locked that deep within herself."

"You can't find out?" I ask quietly.

"I could, but truthfully I am just not that interested, young Master Harry," he replies brutally honest. "Now, in the early '60s, she reappeared with a child, one that I'm sure you know."

"Dad," I answer softly.

"Yes," he says, nodding. "I'm unsure of how they met, but Eileen fell madly for a Muggle man named Tobias Snape. They married soon after and expected their first child nine months later. Now, in our world, when a witch or wizard marries, the paper immediately publishes a bit on the couple. Blair learned through the wedding announcements in the Prophet that his daughter had married a Muggle so you can imagine his reaction. She was immediately cast out by her parents. In fact, Blair went so far as to place a curse on his unborn grandchild to ensure the child's heirs could not carry the Prince name."

"Unless it was a girl," I point out with a sigh.

"Yes, unless the child is a girl." He then shakes his head. "However, sometime after Severus was born, a change resonated in Tobias. He became violent to the point where he frequently struck her in front of Severus. At first, she fought back as any mother would do. But as time progressed, she oddly enough ceased in her fighting. She took the blows without a word, finally submitting herself to his abuse." Declan frowns softly before sighing. "During Severus's second year, Tobias informed Headmaster Dumbledore that Eileen had died. Severus refused to go to the funeral, knowing that he'd see his father. This was exactly how Tobias had imagined it going."

"But she wasn't dead, though."

"No, she wasn't. She was in fact held by Voldemort, which Tobias knew."

"Wait! Are you saying that—no, you can't be meaning that—are you saying that—?"

"Tobias drugged Eileen as he always had to ensure that she was docile and later handed her over to Voldemort in exchange for immortality."

"But he died," I state.

"Yes, he did. You see, young Master Harry, Voldemort faked it and gave Tobias a miniscule drop of mercury, claiming it was the blood of a unicorn."

"How'd he not die?"

"I would imagine that had to do with Voldemort not wanting him to perish so soon since Severus was not a member of the Death Eaters quite yet."

"You think that he kept the man alive to make sure Dad joined?" I ask, staring at the vampire.

"Yes. I do. It would be the ultimate gift for Severus, the ability to kill the man who abused him and his mother for years. Even I would not have declined such a gift if I had been Severus."

"So let me get this straight," I say, feeling sick to my stomach. "You're claiming that his father handed his mother over, a woman he had supposedly loved, to Voldemort in exchange for immortality. Instead of getting that, though, the man got a drop of mercury and sent on his way to abuse Dad some more. And this all happened because Voldemort wanted to make sure Dad joined the Death Eaters?"

"Yes. Without Eileen, Severus would have no one to turn to but Voldemort."

"He had my mum, though," I point out.

"Until their fifth year," Declan replies quietly.

"What about Professor Sinistra?" Draco argues. "He had her."

"Sixth year, when it was already too late, and he was in the ranks," Declan answers softly.

"And Dad's finding all this out now?" I ask shakily. I can't help but feel sick to my stomach in anticipation of his answer. I mean, just this morning I . . . I then shake my head to end that thought. "He's been a puppet basically all his life," I snarl, glaring at Declan. "That's what you're saying, right?"

"Unfortunately, you are correct."

"Why?"

"I do not have an answer for you, Harry," he replies. "Nor do I have an answer why you were used the way you were, or why Aurora is."

"Everyone uses someone," Draco quietly mutters across from me.

"Unfortunately," Declan concurs. He sighs before standing. "All you can do is be prepared and informed when events take place. See patterns develop, and alter its paths. That is all anyone can do unfortunately." He bows his head. "Good day, gentlemen." He then disappears in the familiar way.

~SS~

A few days later, I walk down to our rooms in the dungeons. I don't know why, but ever since Declan told me about Dad and his mum I've been spending a lot of time down here again. Dad doesn't say anything, but I'm sure he finds my being here strange.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Potter," Salazar says happily from his portrait when I reach it.

"Hey, Sal," I reply quietly. "I doubt you'll tell me, but have you remembered anything else about your famous sword?" I watch the Founder only smile thinly before his portrait swings open. "Yeah, I figured," I mutter, heading into the rooms.

Upon walking in, though, my mouth immediately drops. However, I notice that I'm not the only one who has just happened upon this scene. I glance towards Draco and watch him nod slowly before he glances back at the sight in front of us.

"El, is that—?"

My little sister instantly whirls around from the sofa with a wide grin. Her bright brown eyes then dart back to the colorful crimson bird sitting on the edge of the sofa. She then starts to giggle as she runs a gentle finger down its back, causing it to trill softly.

"You stole Dumbledore's phoenix?" Draco finally manages to squawk out.

My eyes then widen as I catch movement in the corner. When it finally registers, I feel my heart leap up into my throat. From where I stand, I can make out a dozen or so cats, about ten house elves, lots of owls and chickens—wait—what? My mouth drops again. There are chickens in here! Somewhere to my left there is hissing that forces me to glance in that direction, just as a cat jumps from the island onto another cat's back, embedding its claws into it. I then have to duck when Draco's owl swoops over me to snatch Trevor, Neville's toad.

"Draco, tell your damn bird to drop Trevor!" I shout, trying to reach for it.

"Like it'll listen to me," he snaps. "The ruddy thing usually bites me when I order it around."

"Try!" I growl, glaring at him.

"Spartacus, drop the disgusting toad now."

I then grimace when Trevor lands on top of an egg on Dad's armchair. Dad is so going to murder us if he walks in right now and sees all this. I don't think I can blame him, though. I mean, he has about a dozen or so eggs on his chair in a makeshift nest.

"Uh, Potter," Draco quietly says next to me, "I'd move that damn toad like NOW!"

"Why?" I reply, glancing oddly at the blond.

"Are you INSANE?" he yells back, wide eyed. "That's how you get a basilisk, Potter!"

Within seconds, I leap towards Neville's toad from the top of the egg. I so don't need another incident with a basilisk for a good fifty years or so. Instead of reaching the toad, though, my hand slams down on the edge of the seat, sending the eggs sailing through the air towards Salazar's empty portrait. I instantly groan when the eggs smash against it a moment later. Well, I suppose the crisis is adverted. I then turn around to say something to Draco, only to find myself stunned into silence at the sight of Dad standing in the entryway to our rooms.

"Explain now," Dad quietly hisses, crossing his arms.

I open my mouth, but no words come out. I mean, what can I say? I then sigh. Anything that I do manage to spit out is only going to upset him even more.

"Daddy, I think it hurt itself," my little sister says, bending down to pick up a cat from the floor.

My green eyes then narrow on the animal in her small hands. I know that cat. But where do I know it from is the question. It then hits me when I see the dark outline around its eyes. That's my Head of House! I quickly whirl around, staring wide eyed at Dad.

"Dad, that's—"

"I can see that for myself, Harry," he growls, stalking towards Angel. He holds his hands out and says nothing to Angel when she gently sets the limp cat in his hands. "Draco, take the cat to Pomfrey." He then tenderly hands her over to Draco before standing and glaring down at Angel. "Did you steal all of these animals?"

"No, Daddy," Angel quietly answers. "They came to me."

"I do not tolerate lying, Miss Prince."

"I'm not lying, Daddy." Angel's eyes quickly fill with unshed tears as she looks him in the eye. "They came to me. Honest," she says, biting her bottom lip. For a brief second, she glances behind Draco and me at something before she continues to stare at Dad.

"What in the world?" Mum's voice filters in behind us, causing Draco and I to whirl around at her. Mum glances at us for a brief moment before she looks between Angel and Dad. "Severus, what happened in here?"

"Ask your daughter," Dad snarls.

"Daddy, I didn't steal them! I promise!" Angel then sniffles as she tries to hold back her tears. "I swear on my oath, Daddy. They just came to me."

Dad grits his teeth in response, shaking his head violently. He then whirls around and brushes past us to head to the opened portrait. "Deal with this, Aurora," he snaps as he walks past her.

"Severus!" Mum exclaims, gently grabbing his arm to stop him. She makes no sudden movement when he instantly wrenches his arm back, glaring daggers at her. "Where are you going?" she calmly asks as if his current behavior isn't at all strange.

"For a walk," he spits out, clenching his teeth. "Do you have any other stupid questions for me, Aurora, or does that satisfy you?" Likely hearing his own words echo back to him, he then closes his eyes. He draws in a slow breath before releasing it, attempting to calm himself down. A few moments later, he reopens his eyes and stares at Mum. "I apologize for my harshness, Aurora." He then frowns when Mum doesn't respond. "I'm going for a walk. Please deal with this however you see fit," he says calmly. His frown deepens when Mum only nods. He then leans in and gently kisses her cheek before walking around her and out of our rooms, closing the portrait behind him.

"Is everything all right, Professor?" Draco quietly asks a moment later, glancing at Mum.

"Yes, Draco, everything is fine," Mum replies, forcing a polite smile to her face. "Severus is still trying to come to terms with his mother's sudden return, and as you can see, it's affecting him greatly." Mum then walks over to Angel and gently lifts her up into her arms. "Now, love, let's get all these animals back to their owners."

"You believe me, don't you, Mummy?" Angel quietly asks, sniffling.

"About the animals coming to you, love?" Mum then smiles, pressing a kiss against Angel's forehead. "Let's just get these animals back to their owners and focus on one thing at time, all right?" Her eyes dart towards the gathered house elves that are curiously looking around. "You may return to the kitchens. Your services are no longer required."

"We thank you, Astronomy Mistress," one of the house elves says before they all snap their fingers and leave.

"Well, that just leaves the chickens, cats, owls, Trevor, and Fawkes."

"Um, Mummy?" my little sister hesitantly says.

"Yes, love, what is it?"

"Fang is asleep in you and Daddy's bed."

"Ah, well, I'm sure that Hagrid is missing Fang terribly, love." Mum then glances towards Draco and me. "I don't suppose one of you could use the Floo and inform Professor Dumbledore and Hagrid about these animals, could you?"

"I'll do it, Professor," Draco instantly responds, heading towards the Floo powder.

"All right, well, let's go see the damage Fang did," Mum says with a soft sigh.

I don't know why, but I follow them towards the bedroom. I guess a part of me is rather curious to see a dog in bed. When Mum opens the bedroom door, I notice Angel bite her lip as she glances at me. I can see the remorse in my little sister's face, along with confusion. However, my attention wanes when I see Fang in bed with the covers pulled up. In fact, upon closer inspection, I can see the large pool of drool on what I know is Dad's side of the bed.

"I take it that Fang was cold?" Mum asks, glancing towards Angel with a slight grimace.

"Daddy always tucks me in, so I tucked Fang in," the little girl responds quietly.

"Well, you did a very nice job tucking Fang in, love," Mum replies, kissing Angel's cheek and rubbing her back gently.

"Daddy's mad at me," Angel says dejectedly, burying her face deeper into Mum's shoulder.

"Unfortunately, sweetheart, he's mad at the entire world right now. But he loves you, Angel."

"Is it because of Grandma Eileen?"

"Some of it is because of her, yes, but some of it is because he's concerned about us." Mum gently brushes back Angel's blond ringlets with a smile. "You see, love, he's not used to having a family unfortunately. And some things have come up that are making him lose sleep over."

"He doesn't want to lose us," Angel softly says.

"That's exactly right. He doesn't want to lose any one of us because he loves us too much. But, well, Mummy has some bad people after her who wants to hurt our family. And Harry has some bad people after him too. So these bad people are making him rather grumpy because he doesn't want to lose us to the bad people."

"And because Daddy feels used by the bad people after Harry, right, Mummy?"

I glance towards Angel and narrow my eyes on her. I notice Mum doing the same. I mean, I'll be the first to say that my little sister picks up on things really fast, but her knowing that is just plain scary.

"How do you know that, Angel?"

"I heard Daddy say it last night when you and Daddy were arguing," she admits quietly.

"You couldn't have, though, love."

When Angel glances away, I sigh, knowing exactly what she did. I then glance towards Mum and shake my head. Well, it is just Mum after all that I'm telling it to.

"You made the walls transparent again, didn't you, El?" I quietly ask my little sister.

"What?"

"Sometimes when Draco and I are down here, we'll notice her walls are transparent. It lets us eavesdrop on you and Dad. I know that he told the house elves to fix it, but I guess they didn't."

"You spy on us?" Mum asks with an incredulous look. She then sighs. "I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised. Curiosity is natural among adolescents."

"We just wanted to know what was going on," I explain quietly.

"Naturally," Mum replies with another sigh.

"Mum, we're sorry—"

"It's all right, Harry. Like I said, I understand." Mum then closes her eyes for a moment before she quietly speaks. "So this transparent wall thing overrides silencing charms, it seems. I take it is only for the sitting room?"

"Yeah, I mean, we do see the corridor, but most of the conversations are in the sitting room."

"It only occurs in Angel's room, right?"

"Yes. It usually seems like she's controlling it. When Dad spoke to the house elves, he had asked them if it was triggered by her emotions."

"Ah," Mum replies. "Well, I'd imagine that it is being triggered by something else now."

"I ask it to show me," Angel quietly answers.

"Why?"

"I don't know, Mummy. I just feel like I need to listen in sometimes."

"Did Declan show you how to do this?" Mum then smiles softly when Angel instantly shakes her head. "All right, well, you, my love, are going to need to stop listening in. There is a reason we don't want you to hear us."

"Yes, Mummy," Angel quietly says, hanging her head.

At the sound of footfalls approaching down the corridor, I turn around. I then step to the side as Draco, Professor McGonagall, Hagrid, and Dumbledore walk into the room. I catch Draco's neutral look when he glances at me.

"Get down from there, ye mutt!" Hagrid orders with a slight tinge of pink on his face. "Sorry 'bout that, Pr'fessor," he says to Mum.

"There's no need to apologize, Hagrid, since it was my daughter who put him there. I believe the chickens are still in the sitting room for you to collect."

"Yes, ma'am," answers Hagrid. His warm eyes then fall on Angel. "If ye want to visit Fang, Miss Prince, yer always welcome to."

"What do you say, love?" Mum whispers, attempting to coax her into responding.

"Thank you, Mr. Hagrid," Angel replies, quieter than a church mouse. She then quickly buries her face into Mum's shoulder.

"I apologize, Rubeus," Mum says with a sigh, rubbing Angel's back soothingly. "She seems to be a bit skittish still." She then smiles at the half-giant when he just chuckles, walking out. A second later, Mum glances towards Professor McGonagall, who has a series of scratches to her face and an arm in a sling. "Are you all right, Minerva?"

"Oh, yes, dear, I'm fine," the Head of Gryffindor brusquely responds. "I assure you that it's not the worst I've ever received." Her green eyes then reach Angel. "I don't suppose my goddaughter has informed you yet."

"That she's been spying on Severus and me?" Mum replies with a laugh.

"No, actually," responds Professor McGonagall. "I was referring to her accidental magic."

"Accidental?" Mum repeats quietly. Her eyes then widen. "She actually used her magic to summon all of these animals? Oh, Circe, give me the strength," she mutters under her breath. "Love, why would you summon these animals?"

Angel, however, doesn't respond. She in fact remains very quiet, which is a sure sign that whatever the answer is Mum isn't going to like it. She continues this silence streak for a few more moments before she ever so slightly raises her head to look at Mum.

"Sweetheart, why'd you summon these animals with your magic?"

"Harry and Draco have pets," she quietly answers.

"And you want a pet," Mum surmises before laughing softly. "Oh, love, why didn't you just ask us before you decided to kidnap every poor animal in the area?" She then sighs, shaking her head. "Well, you are going to make this right, Angel. Taking people's animals from them isn't right."

"But I didn't do it," the little girl fiercely states.

"Not intentionally, but the thought was there, love. That thought made all of these animals show up. While it was accidental, it still teaches a very valuable lesson that you're going to have to learn." Angel only huffs before flopping back against Mum. "It's either this punishment or your dad's."

"Take her punishment, Celes," Draco quietly says. "Trust me."

"Yeah, El, take Mum's," I agree. I wish Mum gave me that option every now and then.

"Fine," Angel mumbles. "I'll say sorry."

I smile towards Angel when she glances at me with Dad's eyes. I can't help it. She looks so like Dad right now that it's funny. I mean, she even has his little glare down when she catches my smile.

~SS~

Sighing heavily, I sit at the island, writing my essay on the use of Vanishing Spells on vertebrates for Professor McGonagall. Over by the sofa, I can hear Angel bothering Dad about something. Since I'm actually attempting to finish this essay, though, I do my best to ignore their quiet conversation. After all, this is my third attempt this week at trying to complete it. However, that's easier being said than actually happening. I don't know how to describe it, but it's as if their conversation is amplified, distracting me yet again.

So I glance towards Dad and Angel again, just to see what they're talking about. Soon, my essay sits abandoned on the counter below me, half-finished. Honestly, though, there is only so much a person can write before his hands starts to cramp up. Yeah, that sounds even emptier in my head, too.

"Daddy, can I get a snake?" Angel asks quietly.

I instantly snort. Oh, so that's what she's been bugging him about. No wonder Dad is ignoring her by making it seem as if he's reading one of his Potions journals. After all, Angel has only been asking everyone since she accidentally summoned all of the animals in the area. Though, it seems this time that Dad is actually going to respond as he sets aside the journal to give her his full attention.

"No," he flatly answers.

As I watch him, I notice that he seems calmer than he has been in days. Then again, I know that he has been going on long walks by the lake. Maybe the walks are actually helping. Though, his change in demeanor can also be a result of his mum settling back into her life far from him. I mean, from what I've seen of the two of them, they have a very tense relationship that seems to stress them both out.

"But I don't want a really bad one, though, Daddy, like a garter snake," Angel innocently says.

My eyes dart to my little sister instantly. She thinks garter snakes are bad? My brows then knit. How in the world has she even heard of that type of snake? I mean, I know that the only reason I know it is because of Jimmy Dawes, a kid from America who went to school with me for awhile when I lived with the Dursleys. I'd hear tons of stories about all sort of American snakes from him.

"What?" Dad exclaims, staring at her in disbelief.

"A garter snake, Daddy," Angel repeats innocently. "It steals," she says, lowering her voice then, "you know," she continues before glancing around, "garters, Daddy."

"Who told you that?"

"Daddy, everybody knows that," Angel replies, rolling her eyes in her familiar childlike way.

"No they most certainly do not," Dad responds. He then sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose as he always does when Angel comes up with these off-the-wall ideas. "Garter snakes do not steal, Angel."

"Oh," she says with a frown. Her eyes then light up again as she glances up at him with big brown eyes. "Well, can I have a python then, Daddy?"

"Can you have a what?"

"It isn't dangerous, Daddy," she explains, looking extremely hopeful.

"A garter snake is dangerous, but a python isn't?" Dad quietly asks, staring at Angel with a slight look of shock. When she nods, he groans. "Oh, dear Merlin," he mumbles under his breath. "Angel, a python constricts its prey to kill it. It most certainly is dangerous."

"Nuh-uh," the four-year-old argues. "It gives it a hug, and the thing is just too weak to accept it."

Dad stares at her for a moment before chuckling softly and shaking his head. We can't help it after all. There are just some times like this one where she is just too adorable for her own good. After all, only Angel can make Dad laugh like that.

"I see," Dad says with a faint smile. "Well, my Angel, I doubt even I could handle a python's hug, so you're going to have to choose a different pet."

"Okay, Daddy," she replies happily. "What about a Sphix? It can make me smart like you."

"Sadly, the Ministry banned it as a pet," Dad drawls, forcing his face to remain neutral.

"Hmm," she quietly says, doing an excellent impression of Dad when he's thinking. "What about a dragon, Daddy? They're very cool."

"I'd say they're a bit too hot, my Angel," he responds quietly. "There's also not enough fire retardant in the world that would allow a dragon to reside with us."

"Okay, what about a centaur?"

"I doubt Firenze would allow you to keep him as a pet." Dad then glances at me with a look that I can only describe as a 'help me'.

"A griffin, Daddy?" the young girl asks, biting her bottom lip.

"It would be scandalous for the Head of Slytherin to have one in his quarters," he deadpans.

I turn away to snort. Okay, so Dad's humor is likely going over her head right now, but it's rather hilarious to witness. Who would have thought that Severus Snape had a wicked sense of humor? I then turn back and glance at my little sister, who is dreaming up of more ideas to bounce off Dad.

"What about a Gordon, Daddy?"

"Gorgon," Dad corrects quietly, "and I already have one as my mother-in-law."

I can't help it. I burst out laughing, drawing Angel's attention instantly. I quickly try to get my laughing back under control before she picks up on why that is funny. Honestly, I can see her telling Syra about Dad calling her that. Angel's dark eyes narrow on me, but she turns away a moment later with a huff of annoyance, sounding just like Dad does sometimes.

"Can I have a mermaid then, Daddy?"

"Regrettably, your mother would kill me, Angel," Dad answers emotionlessly.

"Why?"

"Well, mermaids are considered by many to be very beautiful, my Angel. So your mother likely would believe that I was wishing I was with a mermaid instead of her."

"That's silly, Daddy," Angel replies. Frowning, she then crosses her arms as if something just came to her. "You know, Daddy, you could have just told me no. You didn't have to make fun of me."

"I apologize, my Angel," Dad says with a smile.

"I'll forgive you this time, Daddy," she retorts, sliding off the edge of the sofa. "Just don't let it happen again." She then quietly walks out of the room towards her bedroom.

Dad glances at me before chuckling softly. He is in a very good mood right now. He then stands and stretches for a moment. His joints crack and pop, causing him to grimace. However, he walks over.

"How's that essay coming, Harry?" he asks rather amused.

"It's almost finished," I reply, glancing down at it.

"I believe that is the same thing you said a little more than three hours ago."

"I know, but I'm not good at writing essays," I grumble.

"No. You're not good at focusing Harry," he counters. His eyes then glance over my essay, making him frown a moment later.

"I know, Dad. It's not good." He holds his hand out to me, which makes me sigh just before I hand over my essay. I make a choking sound when he rips it into shreds. "That was—Dad—no!" I groan, allowing my head hit the counter. All that work is down the drain for nothing.

"Look at me, Harry," Dad softly says. "Minerva has covered Vanishing Spells with you, correct?" When I nod, he clears his throat, conjuring a dead fish. "Vanish this."

"Yes, sir," I reply, feeling miserable. I draw my Holly wand and glance at Dad. When he nods, I sigh and inhale slowly. "Evanesco," I quietly say, pointing my wand at the dead fish. I then hang my head a moment later when nothing happens, just like always.

"Try again."

"Evanesco," I repeat, casting my spell. I then grimace when everything but the fish's tail disappears. This is like being in Transfiguration class again. When Dad gently rests a hand on my shoulder, I glance up at him. "I can't cast that stupid spell," I say quietly.

"Let's work on that then, shall we?" When I open my mouth, he holds up a hand. "Once you cast it, I believe you'll find writing your essay to be easier, Harry." Pulling his wand out a second later, he points it at a cup. "Now, repeat after me, Evanesco." The cup vanishes a moment later as a bit more of the fish disappears. "Again, Harry," he says calmly, standing beside me.