Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
A bit of a scary chapter towards the middle. Enjoy, though. :D
Good Morning, Sunshine

I wake up to hushed whispers nearby me. I peek with one eye open to see who are whispering so intently between each other. Unfortunately, Hermione's arms fly around me as she hugs me painfully. One would think that I've nearly died by the way she hugs me. My eyes catch the smug grin on Draco's face as he watches us.

"Mione, I can't breathe," I softly rasp. I hear her gasp softly before she releases me. I say nothing at her soft shy smile as she glances down towards the ground. "So what'd I miss?"

"It seems as if Professor Sinistra saved us again."

"Saved us?" I repeat, glancing towards my friends. "What do you mean?"

"According to what we've overheard so far, Death Eaters appeared in Diagon Alley a few minutes after we left. They made a right mess of it, too, from what Dad says."

I immediately open my mouth to ask questions. Draco, however, cuts me off before I can even start. One of these days, I'm going to surprise them all and not be so obvious.

"Severus is fine. He's with Sinistra in back," the blond Slytherin says. "He got some nasty cuts to his arm from some of the broken glass, but he's fine, Potter. No need to worry."

"How long have I been out?"

"Two hours," Ron replies with a sigh. "Pomfrey couldn't really find a reason for it, but then again no one can figure out how Sinistra keeps saving us."

"And Declan?" I ask, glancing at Draco.

"Out hunting," he responds with a pained expression on his face. "Sinistra's parents and sister are here now too. Orin's been talking with Lupin and Black, while Syra is talking to Pomfrey."

"Where's Jezlyn?"

"Right here, silly," a soft voice says with a soft laugh. "You didn't miss me, did you, nephew?"

I glance towards the blond and sigh. I hadn't seen her earlier, but there she is, standing off to the side with that familiar lopsided grin of hers. Wearing aqua robes, she pulls her long honey-colored hair back into a ponytail.

"You do realize I'm older than you, right?"

"Only by a year," she drawls with a soft scoff. "And technically speaking, Harry, my brother-in-law adopted you, so you're my nephew." She then glances towards Draco before glancing back at me. "However, don't expect me to claim that familial bond when school starts up. I'm not going to jeopardize my reputation by associating with Gryffindors." Her eyes dart towards Ron and Hermione before she inclines her head. "No offense, of course," she says softly.

"None taken," replies Ron before glancing at me with his 'is she serious' look.

"Though, I will admit that Gryffindor does have some highly desirable traits."

I stare at her, narrowing my eyes a bit when I notice that she appears to be staring off at something in the distance. My eyes dart to Draco to see if he knows what she's talking about, but he only shrugs. When she suddenly stands tall again with a very soft flirty smile on her face, I stare at her in disbelief. Who in the world is she looking at?

"You feeling all right there, Harry?" Mr. Weasley says as he slowly approaches my bedside with Remus, Sirius, and the rest of the Weasley clan.

"Yes, sir," I answer with a nod. I can't keep the grin from my face at the sight of Remus and Sirius. It's stupid. I know. But I've missed them. I then force the grin away. I can't be smiling right now, not when I don't know how Mum is. "Sir, do you know if my . . ." My voice trails off. It's rather awkward to call Professor Sinistra my mum right now with my real parents' best friends standing right there next to my bedside.

"Sorry, kiddo," Sirius responds. "Pomfrey's only letting immediate family in there." He then rests a gentle hand on my arm. "Don't worry, though. Aurora's a fighter. She always has been." He chuckles softly. "She hexed James and me once because we accidentally hit her with a color-changing curse. She was green head to toe with silver hair. She didn't look half bad actually."

"Keep your filthy comments about my sister to yourself," Jezlyn growls, glaring at Sirius.

Draco instantly steps in between Mum's little sister and my godfather. His gray eyes catch Jezlyn's, and he shakes his head at her. He says something under his breath towards her when she doesn't stand down. A few seconds later, Jezlyn scoffs before taking a step back and moving towards the other side of my bed far from Sirius.

"I apologize for upsetting you. I didn't mean to do so," Sirius quietly says.

"I don't give a damn what you do or don't mean," she snarls. "Don't talk to me." She glances at me one last time before sighing heavily. "You'll have to forgive me, Harry, but I think I'm going to go take a walk."

"Eh, we'll come with you. Come on, guys," George says, nudging his siblings towards the door.

"Yeah, let's leave the little kiddies to talk."

I briefly smile towards Fred and George before the Weasley children and Hermione leave with Jezlyn. Draco stays by my side and sits back in a chair next to my bedside. He definitely looks uneasy about something. Then again, I wonder why that could be. Jezlyn and Sirius nearly came to blows. I have yet to see or hear how Mum and the baby are doing. I'm stuck in the middle between Draco and Ron over Hermione, just Ron doesn't know it yet. Yeah, my life is just peachy.

"Ah, wonderful, you're finally awake," Madam Pomfrey says as she emerges from one of the private rooms. She quickly bustles over to me with a pleasant smile on her face. Waving her wand over me like the expert mediwitch she is, she proclaims a few seconds later, "Well, you seem to be fairly healthy. Perhaps that rest will do you some good, Mr. Potter." When I gently grab her arm, she glances at me with a shocked look.

"How's my mum?" I instantly see that familiar sad somber smile make its way to her lips, which makes my heart stop.

"Aurora is fine, Mr. Potter. We just had a bit of scare with her again." Madam Pomfrey then gently starts to feel my throat for some reason. "It seems as if your baby sister is a bit overenthusiastic in joining the family."

"She went into labor? But it's too soon!" I squawk, feeling my heart race.

"Which is why I'm very glad that Remus brought Aurora in when he did," the mediwitch states, resting a hand on my shoulder. "I was able to offset the contractions so she didn't go into full labor. Aurora's just going to have to take it easy for a while. However, I should warn you. She's not in a very good mood right now." When my eyes narrow on Madam Pomfrey, she softly laughs. "I've ordered her on bed rest until the baby is born. As I'm sure you know, Harry, she dislikes confinement for long periods of time. She's also very upset with the idea that she won't be able to attend any of her classes until after the baby's born."

"Is it really that bad?"

"Well, as you yourself said, it's too early for her to go into labor."

"But you're a witch," I respond. "Isn't there some spell out there that would help the baby survive if Mum does give birth early?" I notice the serious faces on the adults' faces instantly. I guess not. Closing my eyes, I try to hold back my emotions. Mum has been so happy about this baby. We all have. Why does everything bad have to happen to me?

"I'm afraid that even the Wizarding World hasn't discovered a way to counter that yet, Mr. Potter. If she does goes into premature labor again, I'm fully prepared to help the child in any way I can. However, from what I know of Severus and Aurora, your little sister is going to be a fighter and extremely strong. She gets that from both of her parents."

"But there's a chance she could die, though?" I ask with a slight falter in my voice.

"Yes, but neither myself nor anyone in this castle will allow that to happen without a fight. I have numerous healing spells that could perhaps counter the effects so the odds are better." She then sighs. "I've already informed her that the earliest I'd like to deliver is by the 35th week. We've made sure your baby sister knows that too."

"So we only have to wait two weeks?" She nods softly before sighing contently.

"Well, everything leads me to believe that you're fine, Mr. Potter. Perhaps you just were tired with everything that was going on." She then glances towards Draco before looking back at me. "Can I trust you two not to upset Aurora?" We both nod. "Very well then, she's in the back room. However, I do not want either of you upsetting her. Is that understood?" she asks, pointing her finger at us.

"Yes, Madam Pomfrey," Draco and I reply simultaneously. She only walks away to her office.

"Now, boys, listen to her. This is very stressful for any woman, let alone Aurora. She's going to need you both to remain calm," Mr. Weasley says, fixing Draco and me with a hard look.

"We know, sir," I respond softly.

"You'll have to forgive me, young wizards, but what do you know?" Declan says upon walking into the hospital wing. He looks the same as before, perhaps a little healthier. His brown eyes then glance from me to the other adults. "I see," he mumbles. "That is most interesting."

I immediately notice Remus stiffen slightly as Declan walks towards me. In a way, it makes me smile inwardly. Remus still cares for me, even though I have a new dad that isn't James. When Declan suddenly brushes back my fringe to look at my scar, both Remus and Sirius draw their wands.

"If you're going to hex me, Wizards, I would not do so while I am so close to young Harry," Declan drawls, not glancing at them. "Hmm . . . it is most peculiar, but I suppose not unexpected," he mutters to himself before taking several steps back from me. "You wizards and your magic, must you always attempt to hex things that you fail to understand? Though, I am rather grateful that young Harry has such fierce protectors as you three. However, I assure you that if I were to hurt him, your little sticks would do nothing to stop me."

The door to my left suddenly bursts open. My head snaps towards it to see who has arrived. At the sight of Professor Vector rushing into the hospital wing wearing a pale orange sundress, my mouth nearly drops. She definitely doesn't look like she usually does. Then again, sheer panic covers her face.

"Where is she? Where's Aurora?" Professor Vector demands. Her green eyes flash angrily.

"She's in back. Hang on," Sirius immediately replies before stepping towards her. "Septima, you can't go in there like some banshee. We're supposed to be not stressing her."

Within seconds, Professor Vector's eyes dart towards him before she roughly pulls her arms back from his hands. She definitely doesn't look any calmer now. In fact, she looks as if she's about to slap Sirius or something.

"This is your entire fault, Sirius Black," she snarls. "I don't know how, but it is." Her head then whips towards Remus. "And you, don't you dare act all cute with me."

"And what of me, my fair lady?" asks Declan with that familiar smile of his. "Shall I not act cute with you either?" His eyes are alight with amusement when she becomes positively flabbergasted. He only laughs softly before holding out his palm towards her. "I must say that I have never met such an exquisite witch such as you. Might I inquire as to your name?"

I glance at Professor Vector. The anger is definitely gone. She has this soft smile on her face as if he's puzzling her. Then again, he's pretty much flirting with her. I glance towards Draco and notice him rolling his eyes. Declan is pretty good. I'll give him that. It's probably another benefit of being a vampire. On second thought, I wonder if he could teach that to me.

"Septima Vector," she replies softly, extending her hand out towards him. Her eyes watch him as he slowly brings her hand to his lips.

"A pleasure to meet you, my dear," Declan says with the very tips of his fangs protruding from his lips. "Forgive me, but I cannot help but think that you've overextended yourself rushing up all those staircases to reach your best friend. Perhaps you should rest a moment or two. You are rather tired, are you not, Septima?"

"Yes, now that you mention it," she responds, staring at him.

"Then by all means, my dear witch, we will think nothing of you if you should rest."

I can't believe it. Within seconds afterwards, Professor Vector sits down on the cot beside me before quickly falling asleep. My eyes dart to Declan. How in the world did he do that? His eyes meet mine, and he softly laughs.

"This school does teach you some things about a vampire, does it not?" When I don't respond, Declan only shakes his head. "Traditionally, our appeal makes the opposite sex weaker to our cunningness. Some use that cunning to feed. I use it to help. And in response to your wish of learning it, I'm afraid even if it were possible, I doubt Mistress Aurora would appreciate my teaching that to you."

"Why don't you go use that on her so she rests?"

"Unfortunately, my abilities do not work on her. And even if they did, I would not do such a thing to her. As you can see with your professor, it renders a woman incapable of defending herself. I can think of several reasons why that would not be a good thing in your mother's case." Declan then sighs. "I take it that Severus is with her?"

"Yeah, they're in back. We were just about to go back there."

"Ah, well, please inform your father that I am most grateful for his potion. It has been sometime that I have been around others without feeling the urge to kill all of you." My mouth drops.

"WHAT?"

"Do not play me for an idiot, young Master Harry. We both know you were awake when Severus brought me my potion."

"I thought, well, I thought it helped you go out into the sunlight."

"And that it did," he responds with a sly smile. "Severus is quite brilliant when it comes to potions as I'm sure you know. He combined the two potions without resulting in a violent explosion. You need not worry, though, young Master Harry. I have fed so there will be no homicidal vampire stalking you or your friends and family tonight."

I nod slowly. Even though, I know Declan is making light of his being a vampire, I have to admit that it still creeps me out. I mean, he's killed things . . . like . . . Voldemort. I can't help but wonder what he's killed tonight. I immediately shake off a chill at that horrifying thought. He meets my eyes again.

"I assure you that your worries are for naught, young Master Harry. I take only what I need before releasing the animal. I do not kill unless necessary."

"Am I that obvious?" I ask with a forced laugh.

"As obvious as Aurora is the Azrial," he responds, inclining his head. "You and young Draco should perhaps go see her. She will no doubt be missing you both by now. The visit will do wonders for her mood, I should think." He then glances at Remus. "Many apologies for my behavior earlier at Diagon Alley," he says, extending a hand. "I was a bit . . . cranky. I am certain you can sympathize, considering." Remus only stares at him. "If you are worried about Miss Tonks, then I assure you I am more drawn to older women. Plus, I am a romantic at heart, and she truly does care for you. I can tell. So there is no need for you to concern yourself over anything. She will be fine. I swear it."

Chapter End Notes:
Next chapter: Harry and Draco visit Aurora and Snape. Any thoughts on how they'll fair?