Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy the long chapter. :D
Like Smoke

Walking slowly into the private room with Draco next to me, I try to ignore that gut feeling that tells me something's really wrong. I mean, I can see Mum there. White fluffy pillows prop up her head as she speaks softly with Dad. She looks so exhausted. I just stare at her until Draco lightly pushes me forward towards an empty chair by her bedside.

"Hi, boys," Mum says sleepily.

I don't respond. I just stare at her. I know it's stupid. Madam Pomfrey said she was fine. But looking at Mum right now, I can't help but think that she's wrong. Mum looks far from fine. She can barely keep her eyes open. My green eyes briefly glance towards Dad before I glance down at the ground. I don't know what to do so I do the only thing that comes to my mind. I grab Mum's hand.

"I'm not dying, Harry," she says with a soft laugh.

"Aurora, you're supposed to be resting," Dad quietly reminds, pushing back a stray curl.

"Yeah, yeah," she responds, staring at me. Her eyes are twinkling softly, but they close every now and then as she fights off her desperately needed rest. "You're just my big cuddly grizzly bear, aren't you, Severus?" She then laughs again, which seems to take almost all of her energy.

"Maybe you should listen to Dad, Mum," I whisper, swallowing back my fears. I mean, she's deathly pale still. She doesn't look at all like herself. I then sigh heavily when she stares at me. "Please, Mum, don't be stubborn. Draco and I aren't going anywhere. Please," I plead softly.

"All right," she answers tiredly. "I know when I'm beat."

"You'll have to forgive me, but I have to speak with Pomfrey about something." Dad slowly stands, but doesn't quite release his hold on Mum's hand yet. "Do you think you could perhaps stop being stubborn and listen to directions while I am gone? Or must I stick you with a Sticking hex?"

"I swear that I'll be here when you return."

"You shouldn't swear such things," Dad responds before glancing at Draco and me. He definitely doesn't look convinced by her words. However, he does release her hand before briskly walking out of the room.

It's up to Draco and me now to make sure she keeps her word. Judging by the way that Mum keeps fidgeting, this is going to be a challenge. I draw in a slow breath and keep my eyes slowly trained on her with my wand at the ready hidden in my sleeve. I'm not going to let Mum do anything to jeopardize her and the baby's health. I love them both. I then sigh quietly. Obviously, a fifteen-year-old shouldn't tell a fully-grown adult what to do, but I've seen adults do stupid selfish things before, and Mum's not going to be one of them.

After a few minutes, Mum wisely turns her head to the side in efforts to get comfortable before she attempts to rest. I glance towards Draco and nearly laugh when I notice that he too has his wand in his hand. At least I'm not the only crazy one in the family. I wonder if Dad's just on the other side of the door, waiting for Mum to escape too.

Watching her like a hawk for an hour, I unfortunately start to get bored as she sleeps. Once more, I glance towards Draco. He only inclines his head towards me before resuming his watch. Though, we're soon bored out of our gourds. I sigh heavily for the fifteen hundredth time.

"Potter, shut up," Draco hisses, glaring at me. "You're going to wake her up."

"Aren't you bored, though?" I nearly hit him when he gives me that 'you're an idiot' look.

"Of course I'm bored. It's not as if anything is remotely interesting in here." He then rolls his eyes. "If you want to go, go right ahead, Potter, but I'm staying."

"Well, so am I." I then huff grumpily before glancing towards Mum again. She's still asleep. We remain silent for a few moments before it gets to us. I glare at Draco, and he glares back. "We're going to kill each other if this keeps up." He only nods. I check Mum to see if she's going to wake anytime soon. She doesn't appear to be so I glance back to Draco. "So why don't you call them Mum and Dad?"

"What?"

"Why can't you call Aurora and Severus Mum and Dad?" I repeat softly.

"Because," he answers, staring at me oddly.

"That's not an answer, Malfoy. Why won't you call her Mum? You'll call me your little brother so aren't they like your adoptive parents too then?"

"I had parents, though. Albeit they were horrible people, but I had parents, Potter. I'm not in the mood for another set just yet." He then sighs heavily before plucking at a loose string. "I never had a brother," he mumbles softly. "That's why I'm so into calling you that. I mean, I'm not even sure if I truly think that about you. I might just being calling you that word without meaning it."

"Oh," I reply for the lack of saying anything better. I can understand Draco's reasoning. There are several words that I hadn't known before Dad adopted me. I mean, for nearly ten years I've thought a normal family is like the Dursleys. Granted, I know I have never been a part of their family, but I thought it was just me at the time. It's rather sad looking back on it now, but they actually managed to convince me that I was the freak when it was they who were the freaks. It was always them.

"That really bothers you, doesn't it?" Draco quietly asks, staring at me. "The fact that I don't call them Mum and Dad, right, it bothers you?" He then sighs when I don't respond right away. "Potter, not everyone is like you and wanting this perfect little family that you've probably been dreaming about for years." His gray eyes then stare into mine. "For the longest time, I thought I had one, Harry. But I mistook family expectations as love." Drawing in a slow breath, he speaks calmly. "Lucius never loved me. He only loved the prospect of molding me into the next generation of a murderer and a rapist. In fact, if he had ever learned of my feelings for Granger, he would have surely killed me and created another child because I would have been a disgrace to the family name." His gray eyes then dart towards Mum. "I know they're not like that, though. Whenever Lucius allowed me to stay long periods of time at Prince Manor, Severus always attempted to make me understand how flawed Lucius was. At first, I didn't want to listen. Lucius was my father. So who in the hell was Severus to say those horrible things about Lucius? After awhile, I understood, though, and I saw what Severus meant."

"So what happened?"

"Lucius started to see how unsettled I was around him when he was spouting his horrid ideas. So one day, he informed me that I couldn't spend time with Severus again."

"But he let you spend the summer at Hogwarts this year," I point out.

"Mother gave permission. Lucius knew that without her behind him, he'd be in trouble."

"Why?"

"Do you remember how Jezlyn stated that I'm the result of a Malfoy-Black union?" I nod. "And you remember the witch who tried to kill Sinistra at Grimmauld?" Again, I nod. "My mother before she married Lucius was Narcissa Black, and that witch who tried to kill Sinistra was my mother's sister. Her name after marriage was Bellatrix Lestrange. The Wizengamot convicted her for being a known Death Eater and for casting the Cruciatus on Longbottom's parents until it drove them insane." He then sighs heavily before hanging his head. "It was my aunt who tried to kill Sinistra, Potter. I doubt either one of them would want to call me family considering that."

"You can't blame yourself for something like that, Draco. Hell, if they truly thought that, then Dad would have given up on me long ago." I then sigh as I think that it's only fair. "My guardians were Muggles, but the worst sort. They didn't give a damn about me. My uncle used me as his punching bag whenever something 'freaky' happened, which seemed to be every day sometimes. He liked to hurt me, loved to tell me how worthless I was, and loved to say how better off they would be if I were dead." I then catch Draco's gaze. "To them, I was the freak." Draco noticeably flinches. "However, Dad and Mum still love me. Well, I think they love me."

"They do," he quietly responds. "You're not a freak, Potter."

"I know. I'm a wizard," I reply with a soft grin. "You have no idea what that was like to hear Hagrid tell me that I'm a wizard. I thought he was bonkers or something, but I couldn't wait to go off and leave the Dursleys."

"That was somewhat stupid, Harry," Draco says, glancing at me with a slight smirk. "He could have been the Dark Lord or something. Didn't the Dursleys tell you not to go off with strangers?"

"Nah, knowing them they probably told me to go off with a stranger."

"Idiot Muggles," he mumbles before sighing. "Think we'll ever have a normal year, Potter?"

"I doubt it. For once, it's not me, though." I then sigh. "You never said the other day what you thought about my dream. I mean, I know Mum doesn't want to hear it, but what did you think?"

"Honestly, I don't know what to think anymore. Though, I know all of us are watching her."

"I can understand that she doesn't want to be associated with this title of Azrial. I mean, I don't like it when people call me the Boy-Who-Lived either. It just seems as if it's a knock against all those who fought and died against Voldemort." Once more, Draco flinches. "Plus, that stupid story isn't even true. He's still alive. I didn't defeat anyone."

"People like having someone to save them so they don't have to get off their arses and do it themselves. When Grindelwald was terrorizing everyone, the Ministry didn't even attempt to fight against him until Dumbledore became involved. It was somewhat the same with the Dark Lord. They love to celebrate heroes and martyrs for their cause, but the majority of them wouldn't know what to do if it bit them in the arse. It's easier for them to sit in their stupid chairs and yell 'save us, Potter' because they're not the ones who have to see the brutality on a daily basis like you."

"When did you get so wise, Malfoy?" joking I say with a soft laugh.

"I'm a Slytherin, Potter. We think things like this out before we act." He then sighs, glancing at Mum. "It's rather idiotic that Pomfrey expects Sinistra to be stress free. You and Severus have the Dark Lord and his followers wanting to kill you both. Sinistra has this 'Black Shroud' group after her. You keep dreaming about things that may or may not come true that she doesn't want to hear. We have Declan and Lupin not getting along. Then there's Jezlyn who couldn't be a Slytherin to save her arse and who is upset with Black. And then there's me, the pureblood Slytherin who is in love with a Gryffindor Muggleborn witch, only I can't tell her that. However, I can definitely toy with Weasley all I want, and the stupid moron doesn't even know I'm doing it."

"Yeah," I say with an awkward laugh as I tug gently on my collar. "This avoiding stress is going to be hard for us all." I then glance at him. "If I were you, though, I'd lay off with the flower thing. It's only going to make him try to be closer with her."

"I noticed," he replies with a sigh. "But I'm not going to stop. I want her to know without her knowing, Potter. It makes it easier." He then glances away. "She looks like she's going to be out for awhile so if you want to sleep, I'll play the lookout."

"Sure," I answer, knowing our conversation is over. Settling in, I close my eyes and try to sleep.

~SS~

Several hours later, I stir to a hand rocking me awake. I grumble softly, but open my eyes to find Dad standing next to me. Before I can even saying anything, though, Dad walks off towards Draco, who also is asleep. I quickly go up on my feet. How could we both have fallen asleep? I then glance towards Mum, only she isn't there.

"But . . . how . . . what?" stupidly I stutter, staring at the empty hospital bed. I then whirl towards Draco who also wears a look of shock. However, in my animation, I start to rock back and forth on my heels in a rather drunkenly state.

"Easy, young Harry," Declan says, resting a hand against my shoulder. "You and young Draco are both suffering from a rather powerful spell."

"Dad, where's Mum?"

"How the hell should I know, Harry?" he snarls back. Dad then sighs heavily before closing his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose. "I apologize for my words. I should not have lost my temper with you, Harry." He then glances towards Declan. "Are you able to sense anything?"

"She has masked her scent rather well, I fear," the vampire replies quietly. "However, she does not appear to have been in distress when she left." He points towards the empty bed that only has one corner of the blanket pulled back. "I am correct in my assumption that it is her signature on the boys?"

"Unfortunately," Dad quietly growls.

"Can't you just use your link with her, Dad?" I ignore the fact that Mum somehow casted a spell on both Draco and me so she could make her escape. Honestly, I really don't want to think about that right now, not while Mum's out there going against Madam Pomfrey's orders.

"No," he replies shortly. Once more, he sighs heavily. "I haven't been able to hear her for awhile now for some reason." At the sight of my look, he further explains. "I am well aware of the fact that she does not appreciate the accidental link between us so I've allowed her to have her privacy." He then clenches his teeth angrily. "It is the last time I shall ever do so," he says darkly. "Declan, you and I will cover the Forbidden Forest. She might have gone to Paradise."

"Paradise, what's that?" Dad's head snaps towards me, but he doesn't respond. "Wouldn't it be more likely she just went up to the Astronomy tower? I mean, she loves the stars."

"Fine," he snaps.

Dad's dangerously angry, but I know that it's towards Mum and not us. I can fully understand his anger, though. I'm pissed too, and judging by Draco's look, he is also. How could she do this? She's risking the baby and her lives right now. And for what, what was so important that she had to do this? I swear if we find her, that's my first question. Well, after I hug her, I mean. I then sigh. The Dursleys truly messed me up if I still think that she should get a hug from me for pulling this stunt on us. As if we don't have enough things to worry about, I think.

"You and Draco will check the Tower, but I want Lupin and Black to go with you."

Draco and I both nod before all four of us quickly walk out of the room. Remus and Sirius stand up instantly as if they know what has happened. Both men have their wands drawn, but their eyes stay trained on Dad and Declan, though. Neither Dad nor Declan seem to notice as they rush out of the hospital wing definitely pissed at the world.

"What's wrong, Harry?" Remus asks, glancing towards the set of closed doors.

"Mum's gone missing. Dad wants us to the check the Astronomy tower for her." The older wizards don't say anything. They just follow us out. I'm rather glad that they don't say anything. I'm not sure what I would have replied back at this point.

We make it up to the Tower in record time, but Mum's not there. She's not in the little alcove underneath the observatory where we store our unused telescopes. She's not above in the observatory, looking out at Black Lake or on the other side overlooking the courtyard. She's not in her office, which I notice idly is extremely messy.

I can't believe it. I was so convinced that Mum would be up here. She loves the stars. And that just has to be the reason she would risk her life like this. Dad after all would do the same if it meant that he'd spend long periods of time away from his potion. After walking over to the railing, I sigh and hang my head as I lean against it for a few seconds later. Where is she?

As a cool breeze blows around, my shaggy brown hair whips around my face. Casting creepy shadows against the stone pavement, the trees sway gently in the wind in the dark courtyard below me. Other than that, I don't see any movement on the grounds. Somewhere off to the side, I hear the bells of the clock tower chiming loudly. I draw in a slow breath to calm myself.

"Harry, it's going to be all right," Remus says as he rests a hand against my back in efforts to comfort me. "We're going to find her, okay?"

"I just don't get why she'd just leave like that. Doesn't she care about the baby?"

"Of course she cares, Harry," Sirius responds, walking towards Remus and me. "I never understood it either, but she hates being stuck in one place for long periods of times." He then sighs. "When she was a sixth-year, a group of students, probably from her own House, attacked her. Don't ask me why. My little brother Reg never told me, and I doubt Severus even knew or cared at the time. Well, they attacked her and beat her as badly as one could. When the professors asked, she refused to tell her attackers' names, which is just a typical Slytherin trait. They'd protect their own no matter what."

"We have to protect our own," Draco quietly says. "No one else cares a flying Hippogriff about us. For years, we've been considered the scum of Hogwarts so I wonder why we stick together." The anger is definitely in the blond Slytherin's voice. However, he seems to be angrier about the situation rather than what Sirius has said.

"Yeah, you're probably right. Not all of you were as horrible as we thought you were." Sirius then glances towards the ground with a look of remorse as he remembers something. He shakes his head a few seconds later. "Well, at the time, Pomfrey ordered her to stay in bed just like now until she healed properly. Aurora did . . . for a few hours. She somehow managed to escape, just like this time. If I remember right, she ended up hurting herself even worse than before. I don't know what it is, but I know that she'll do anything to make sure she's not stuck in one place for long periods of time."

"Why didn't Pomfrey stick her to the bed or something then?"

"It wouldn't work, Harry," Remus responds quietly. "That amulet she wears would be able to bypass it. Sirius and I have both seen it before. It's a different type of magic embedded in it."

"She's being selfish!" I angrily yell. "She should just get over herself. It's only for two weeks. I don't like being stuck in the hospital wing either, but I'd still listen to Madam Pomfrey if I were in her situation. Doesn't she understand how bad this is if she gives birth early? The baby could die!"

"Harry, whatever demons she has floating in the back of her mind, I don't think she can just get over." When I open my mouth, Remus holds up his hand. "I know that you're upset and concerned. We all are. However, I'm certain that there is a reason for this, one that I'm certain she won't divulge to any of us. If she does tell someone, it'll be Severus, not us."

"But what could be so bad that she's risking the baby and her lives like this?" I whine.

"I don't know, Harry, but I'm not going to ask her either." He then sighs heavily. "Do you remember the night when you saved Sirius?" I nod slowly. "I wasn't myself that night. I nearly killed you. So, Harry, can you imagine what I would go through if someone forced me to remain in bed for long periods of time?" I stare at him. "Your mind gets bored with inactivity so you start to remember certain things. Most likely, I'd remember how close I came to killing you and Hermione. That guilt would eat me alive." He then scoffs. "I'd probably escape too."

"She could have talked to us," I argue.

"Which would help for a few minutes, but it wouldn't help all the time. You'd always run out of things to say." Remus then sighs heavily before closing his eyes. "Whatever is eating at her, it's been festering in there since she was a fourth-year, Harry. I'm not attempting to make an excuse for her, but as I said before, I don't think it's something she can just get over."

"But she's risking—"

"If I was on bed rest and kept watching how close I came to kill you, I'd risk my health too. It's an instinct engrained in all of us, Harry. She probably can't even fight against it anymore."

I nod slowly. I've had some guilty thoughts myself that I would probably run away from. That doesn't mean that I'm not still mad at her, though. She's my mum now, and she's carrying my little sister. I love her. Then again, Dad and others say I love too easily. I don't want to lose her, though. Quietly, I sigh before nodding. Anger isn't going to bring her back.

Harry, a soft voice suddenly whispers in my mind with the usual crackling. I immediately whirl around since it sounds like the person is right behind me. Harry, the voice whispers a bit more urgently. Harry, where are you? Please, I'll come up to you. Where are you?

I'm just about to respond to Mum when another voice interrupts. It's odd, but it sounds just like the first. The usual crackling background noise is even there. My eyes narrow as I try to focus on the voice. Something really odd is going on here. Am I about to have Voldemort possess me again? I then glance towards Draco, and he stares back at me.

Don't listen to her, Harry. Don't respond! You're safe where you are. Stay where you are! Don't respond. Don't leave. Stay, Harry. Promise me you'll stay, the second voice pleads.

Mum, where are you? I scream through the link.

"Here," a voice says from the shadows. "Hello, Harry," the woman from my dreams drawls as her crimson eyes glisten with hidden amusement. "Oops, sorry, guess I'm not your mummy. Oh, and you brought your little friends too. A mutt, wolf, and little boy," she says, laughing. "By the way, Harry, Mummy dearest sends her best wishes. Now, perhaps I should introduce myself."

"You're Mezra," I quietly reply. "You're the woman after my mum."

"Quite right, young Harry," she drawls, grinning wolfishly. "I see my reputation precedes me. Then again, she would do anything to protect the ones she loves, wouldn't she?" Mezra inhales slowly as her crimson eyes pass over us. "Tell me, Harry. Didn't your dear sweet mother inform you before her death that it is rude to spy on adults? Oh yes, my sweet. I am well aware that you were spying on me."

"Touch him, and you die," a blond woman suddenly growls as she quickly ascends up the stairs. Her long silver dress trails behind her. "This blood feud is between you and me, Mezra, not them."

"So this is what it takes to smoke you out of your little hole, Syrene, a couple of children?"

"Leave, Mezra, or I shall be more than glad to make you," the blond says darkly.

"Ah, yes, I do know when I am beat." Mezra then glances at me. "This isn't over, my sweet."

"Oh, I assure you that it is." Like smoke, Mezra suddenly vanishes followed by the blond.

Glancing towards Sirius and Remus, I ask, "I thought you couldn't Apparate out of Hogwarts?"

Chapter End Notes:
I shall answer the majority of the questions in the next chapter that I'm guessing you have. :D

Next chapter, Aurora returns with a very grumpy Snape and Declan (who would have guessed it, right?).