Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
A little more of the background concerning Mezra, a several short fights, and a surprise addition. :D Enjoy. :D
Surprise

After a doe appears in the Astronomy Tower with Dad's voice telling us that he has found Mum, we all head to the hospital wing. Draco is walking beside me, and he's extremely quiet. Remus and Sirius are following behind us. I can't help but wonder what we're going to come across once we arrive. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that Dad isn't happy, but I don't blame him. Mum shouldn't have run off like that.

When I walk into the hospital wing, I find it strangely quiet. In front of me is Madam Pomfrey who is standing next to an empty cot with her hands on her hips. Her face is completely neutral as she stares at the door behind us with her wand against her side. I walk further into the room with Draco before hearing the doors open. I whirl around and find my mouth drop to my chest.

Carrying Mum in his arms, Dad briskly walks in with a fierce look on his face as he and Declan enters the room. Dad's dark eyes catch mine briefly, but he glances away and continues towards Mum's private room. He gently places Mum atop of the empty cot before taking a step back.

"Oh my—Severus!" exclaims Madam Pomfrey as she glances between Dad and Mum. "What in Merlin's name did you do to her?" Her whole body screams with outrage.

"She attempted to run from me so I took swift action."

"Severus, she's—"

"Uninjured, Madam," he replies quietly. "Several tree limbs caused the lacerations when they caught her face in the panic to escape me."

"And you didn't attempt to heal her, Severus?"

"I had deemed it more important to drag her up here than to worry about a few minor cosmetic injuries. Was I wrong, Madam?"

"Severus Snape, do not twist my words. You know damn well what I mean."

"If she had run into a tree, Madam, I assure you that I'd have healed her. However, her cuts are a minor annoyance if anything. Also, I had gathered beforehand that you'd heal her upon examination, which appears to be the case." For a few moments, Dad stares at Madam Pomfrey as they have a bit of a staring contest with one another. Dad breaks off first, though, gritting his teeth. "Fine, Madam. I did not see the need to heal someone who was foolish enough to disregard both a medical professional and a significant other," he snarls in admittance, glaring at Mum.

"I see."

I glance between Dad and Madam Pomfrey. I can clearly understand why Dad is so upset with Mum for running off to who knows where. However, I don't understand why Madam Pomfrey isn't upset with her. Mum willingly is risking the baby's life just because she can't stand to be stuck in bed. I'd think a mediwitch would be upset with her patient if the patient disregards her orders. So why isn't she upset with Mum?

Madam Pomfrey doesn't give any possible answers as I stare at her. She, however, waves her wand over Mum's cuts, healing them instantly. She then glances towards Dad before shaking her head and flicking her wand at Mum. She takes a step back and forces a smile to her lips as Mum slowly regains consciousness.

"Good evening, Aurora," Madam Pomfrey says. "Are you experiencing any discomfort or any odd pains anywhere?"

"No," Mum replies softly. "I feel fine."

"Excellent." Madam Pomfrey then glances at the numbers above Mum before sighing. "Well, you and the baby are doing—"

"Do not treat her as if everything is fine, Pomfrey. She ran away like a spoilt child. What are you going to do next? Hand Aurora a chocolate frog and say 'It's quite all right, dear. I wish for all of my patients to escape my hospital wing, putting both the mother and child at a tremendous amount of risk. I am just thrilled to inform the family of their deaths."

"Severus," Madam Pomfrey mildly warns.

Dad says nothing in reply, but his frown deepens. Gritting his teeth, he glances away and growls quietly under his breath. His whole body sends waves of subdued rage. His eyes are pure darkness as he glares at something on the floor.

"You and the baby are doing quite well. However, Severus has a point, my dear. It isn't healthy for either you or the baby to go rushing off as you did." Madam Pomfrey then gently places a hand on Mum's shoulder. "I understand the bed rest is difficult for you, Aurora. Perhaps you could attempt to interact with others in efforts to control your instinct to flee when it becomes difficult."

"Because that's surely going to distract me enough not to remember, right?" snaps Mum. "Never mind, I don't care what you think. I don't care what any of you think."

"Of course you don't. That doesn't fit in with your bratty image that you must maintain. Do you honestly think your past is so horrible that it gives you the right to risk your life and our child? Need I remind you that my life hasn't been full of sunshine and rainbows either?"

"You chose that life," Mum replies quietly. "I didn't get that choice."

"You think I chose to watch my father—"

"I'm not talking about this with you," Mum quickly responds before attempting to stand up.

"No, you are not going anywhere," Dad snaps, pushing Mum's shoulders back against the cot. "I am not allowing you to jeopardize the health of our child because you can't sit still."

"You think I want to harm the baby?"

"I think in your hyperemotional state that you will do just about anything right now to escape. So while I do not believe it would be intentional, I would not put it past you, considering your current state of mind." Dad then draws in a slow deep breath. However, his eyes narrow on the crackling of magic surrounding Mum. "If you wish to hex me, go ahead. Know though that I'm not going to let you risk further harm to our child or to yourself. You will remain in that bed for the recommended time even if I have to cast continuously Sticking and Freeze charms on you. Do you understand me, Aurora? You will not pull this stunt on me again."

I glance down at the ground. My stomach is starting to knot as Dad continues to snarl at Mum. I don't remember feeling this way before with them fighting. I don't know how to describe it, but I just feel so sick to my stomach. Why can't they just shut up? Draco then puts a hand on my arm and gives me that look that just says he knows what I'm thinking.

"Do not touch me," Mum growls.

"Do not attempt to be an idiot, and I will not need to."

My stomach tightens more as Mum's magic crackles around the room. I quickly close my eyes in an attempt to block out their arguing. Don't they know how badly this is affecting me? Don't they care about me? I then open my eyes and stare at Draco. He doesn't look at all phased by Mum and Dad's fight. In fact, he's perfectly collected as he rests his hand on my arm trying to calm me.

"Leave me alone!"

Within seconds afterwards, I start to remember my worst memory that Dementors make me experience. I recognize my mum's voice, my real mum that is, as she pleads with Voldemort to spare my life but to take hers. A chill rushes down me as I hear her desperate pleas before the green light that I've always remembered takes over.

"Harry," Draco quietly says, pulling me out of my memories. He gives me that familiar look of concern before his gray eyes dart towards Mum and Dad. His eyes harden in anger before he glares at Mum and Dad. "Shut up both of you!" he snarls. "You don't want to be touched, fine, but don't scare the hell out of us like that ever again. You have people who want to kill you. They've nearly succeeded twice. Do you understand that?" Draco's cold eyes then fall onto Dad. "We get that you're displeased because she reminded you of how you lost Harry's mother to the Dark Lord. Instead of bellowing at her, perhaps you could try to be the calm one and listen to what she's trying to say. All this anger between you two isn't keeping her stress free, and it sure as hell isn't helping Harry and me."

I stare at Draco in disbelief. I'm not the only one, though. Declan, Sirius, Remus, and Madam Pomfrey are all too. No one yells at Dad and lives to tell the tale. It just doesn't happen. I then glance towards Dad and notice him staring back at Draco. Slowly, I swallow back a whimper and say a prayer for the poor blond.

"Merlin, help me for saying this, but you're being a right git, Severus," Draco says with a slight hesitation in his voice. "Whatever her reasons are against the bed rest, you could at least attempt to reach a compromise like a Slytherin. In fact, you're both setting a rather poor example for us right now."

"I see," Dad responds quietly, maintaining his gaze on Draco.

The blond Slytherin then glances towards me before sighing quietly. Somewhere his Gryffindor side has made an emergence. However, it appears to be taking a lot out of him to stand up to Dad like this. His body doesn't quiver, though, as Dad takes a step towards him. He looks utterly fearless right now, but I'm rather certain that Draco is anything but in the presence of Dad.

My eyes narrow when Dad only rests his hand on Draco's shoulder. Neither of the Slytherins say a word, but I'm sure that touch is saying quite a lot. Draco's shoulders relax a bit more, and Dad just stares at him before pulling back to look at Mum. The anger is gone from Dad's posture again.

"Unfortunately, he's correct. My anger is not helping," Dad quietly says. "I apologize for my words earlier, Aurora. Clearly you have unknown reasons for your trepidation concerning the bed rest, and I should have been more supportive than immediately turning towards my temper. It is the role of the father and husband to do so in such situations as this, and I did not act accordingly."

I glance towards Draco and just stare at him. How in Merlin's name is he still alive? Shaking my head slowly, I realize that it's probably because Dad and Draco have had a longer relationship together than Dad and me. Draco probably knows just the words to say, whereas I would probably only end up making the situation worse. When Mum responds quietly, my green eyes go to her.

"There's no reason to apologize because you're right, Severus. I was an idiot." Tears gently splash onto the cot. "Instead of letting others in, I wished to go off by myself, which is what got me into trouble in the first place that night."

Draco and I give each other a puzzled look instantly. Mum's talking about something else that isn't about her rushing off tonight. We can both sense it by the way that Sirius and Madam Pomfrey noticeably stiffen at Mum's end words. We then return to staring at Mum, but she remains silent.

"Well, I believe my patient needs her rest, gentlemen," Madam Pomfrey interjects as she steps closer to Mum. "We'll continue this later."

"We're staying," Draco and I respond simultaneously.

"Absolutely not," Madam Pomfrey says brusquely. "Severus, you may stay. Rest of you, go."

"If I left to speak with the boys, would you remain here until I returned?"

"Probably not, but I'll try to stay in this general area this time. In fact, I won't even leave without an escort. Is that better?"

"If the escorts are Molly, Septima, Minerva, and Pomona, then I suppose it's adequate."

"I see. Are you certain you don't want to add Filius and Hagrid while we're at it?"

Dad looks like he considers it for half a moment before saying, "Hagrid is away on Hogwarts' business. However, Filius is an excellent choice."

I watch Mum scoff before rolling her eyes in response. Since they sound a bit less upset now, I don't feel so sick to my stomach anymore. However, I know that I have to keep in mind that they're both Slytherins. I know from experience that parents sometimes hide their contempt for one another from their children in efforts to make everything appear to be all right. The Dursleys certainly did that with Dudley all the time.

"However, I wouldn't subject Filius to watching over you. Baron," Dad loudly announces. "Remain here with Aurora. If she leaves, alert me immediately." Once the Slytherin ghost inclines his head, Dad whirls around and heads away from Mum, motioning us to follow him.

Draco and I quietly trail after him. A few moments later, we walk into Madam Pomfrey's office. I have to admit that I feel rather nervous now. I glance towards Declan, but he gives off no indication that he knows what's going on. I bite my bottom lip and glance down at the floor. Maybe Dad and Declan know about what happened up in the Astronomy tower earlier.

"You have an odd smell about you, young Harry and Draco," the dark haired vampire suddenly speaks as he walks closer. "You are also quite anxious about something. Explain, young masters."

"That woman after Sinistra showed up in the Astronomy tower," Draco answers calmly. "She tried acting like her before stepping out of the shadows. She said she knew Harry had spied on her with that dream or whatever he had earlier."

"Did Mezra attempt to touch either of you?" Declan asks, glancing at both of us.

"No. She stayed far enough back from us. Some crazy blond showed up, though."

"Crazy blond?" inquires the vampire. "Did Mezra happen to mention this woman's name?"

"Um . . . I believe it was Syrene."

Almost immediately, Declan inhales sharply. His brown eyes dart towards Dad before he takes a step closer. He looks almost terrified by the woman's name. Shaking his head softly, he sighs and finally says something in response.

"You are certain Mezra called the other woman 'Syrene'?"

"Yeah, I heard it too," I answer, stepping closer to Draco. "Is something wrong?"

"It depends on your meaning of the word 'wrong,' young Harry. Syrene has somewhat become a figure of myth in recent decades. It is extremely rare that she would allow others to notice her. Did she mention anything?"

"Only if Mezra touched us that she'd kill her, and that their blood feud was between them."

"I see. Was there anything else?"

"Mezra said her conversation with Harry wasn't over. Both women left then as if they were smoke. It was somewhat bizarre because everyone knows you can't Apparate in or out of Hogwarts."

"As I'm sure you are aware, witches and wizards use Apparation. Mezra and Syrene are not witches, however." Declan then sighs before running a hand through his jet-black hair. "Long ago, both women were members of the Council. For years, both got along rather well with one another. There was peace and harmony. Everyone at the time believed all was well and thought nothing of both women." Declan's brown eyes glance towards the floor briefly as he collects his thoughts. "It is not quite definitive yet how this came to be, but Mezra learned somehow that Syrene had interfered with the Muggle world. She brought it before the rest of the Council, and they decided that Syrene was doing so in the best interests of the Council. Mezra soon became blinded with rage for the Council not enforcing their most important law."

"Why'd Syrene interfere?"

"She fell in love or so the story went. Mezra learned later that Syrene was continuously visiting the lowers so she followed Syrene one day. The rest of the story becomes sketchy, but Mezra somehow spoke with the Council and informed them of Syrene's transgressions. They decided with all the strife that they couldn't handle either so they sentenced both to exile. Each suffered their own form of punishment as a result. Mezra only needed exile with the lowers to cause her pain. However, for Syrene, they made her into the one thing that would be the most torturous for her. She could remain with her lower lover, but she would remain as an undesirable. She'd kill him if they remained together. Fortunately, Syrene had heard of wizards working on attempting to alter Muggles genetic makeup to make them into witches and wizards. She found Merlin and spoke with him."

"Did she find it?"

"No. Her lover died. Forced to live out the rest of her life as an undesirable, she found a wizard that she found interesting. Either she realized in his presence or Merlin's that the punishment did not affect her, so she carried out a passionate love affair with the upcoming young and promising wizard."

"What happened between the two?"

"Well, sometime during this event, a Seer foretold a prophecy to Syrene. As all prophecies are, the nature of it was sketchy at best. According to what passed down through the generations, a child born to Darkness and Dawn would unite the Heavens and Earth, preventing a terrible blackness from sweeping over the lands." Declan then glances towards the floor before sighing. "After Syrene learned of this prophecy, she became obsessed with finding this child to pour all of her knowledge into the infant. However, Mezra also heard of this prophecy. Mezra of course decided the best action was to eliminate the threat. Thus, the blood feud began."

"Did Syrene ever find the child?"

"No. Sadly, she conceded and believed that she would never find the child she was searching for because it wasn't what the Fates meant for her to do. Instead, she resumed her life and gave birth to a daughter, whom she gave away out of fear the child would suffer her punishment. No one has seen or heard from her since, young masters."

"When you and Mum were fighting the other day, Mum said that she didn't believe in a prophecy that someone foretold before her birth. Is she that child Syrene was searching for then?" I ask, feeling a bit foolish. Honestly, it is rather absurd that I would think such a thing. I mean, sure, Mum seems pretty awesome at magic, but that doesn't mean she's like some goddess thing or something.

"You may put your mind at ease, young Harry. I do not believe that prophecy concerned Mistress Aurora. There is only one that concerns her, but she refuses to listen to reason with that one."

"That's the Azrial prophecy, right?"

"Yes."

"Can you tell us what that means now?"

"It is not my place to speak of such things, young Harry."

"Mezra wants Mum dead, though. Shouldn't we know the reason?"

"It is because of the Azrial prophecy. That is all you need to know."

I stare at Declan with my teeth clenched. How can he be so nonchalant and calm about this whole fiasco? I was within feet of the woman who wants to murder Mum. I then shake my head. It's probably because he's lived a longer life than I have so he knows better. I glance towards Dad before glancing back towards the floor. Mum's perfectly safe as long as Dad and Declan are around.

"Do you think we'll see Syrene again then, Declan?"

"It is entirely possible. However, her typical nature is to remain an observer."

I nod slowly. It seems many people these days want to stay in the sidelines and let others fight their battles for them. I know that from experience. Dumbledore and everyone else expect me to defeat Voldemort all on my own, while they all sit back and watch as if it's some show on the telly. Gritting my teeth, I shake my head angrily. I don't want this, but then again, I know Mum doesn't want it either with the whole Azrial junk.

Opening my mouth, I attempt to speak. However, a loud scream from Mum's room cuts off my words. The scream is heart wrenching and tragic. Without even giving it a second thought, I rush towards Mum's room. The door instantly slams shut in my face. The screams become louder and more high-pitched. I don't know how to describe it, but I just know that it's Mum screaming on the other side. I jiggle the handle, but it doesn't open. My heart races as the screams become even more desperate.

"MUM!" I scream, frantically trying to claw my way into the room.

"Move out of the way!" snarls Dad as he draws his wand. Remus and Sirius soon join him. All three wizards cast what appears to be a powerful blasting curse towards the door. However, the door only absorbs the energy. Whirling around, Dad's hands latch onto Declan's shirt. "What the hell is going on? Why isn't it opening?"

Declan's eyes glance towards the closed door before he sighs. He shows no fear as he stares into Dad's extremely pissed off face. The vampire draws in a slow breath and wrenches himself out of Dad's grip. His eyes close very briefly as Mum's screams turn into frantic pleas.

"It is-it is nothing for you to concern yourself over."

"Nothing to concern myself over?" hisses Dad in his scary 'I'm going to kill you' voice.

Within seconds, Mum screams loudly a word that we can all hear clearly. My gut contracts painfully at the sound of her screaming Dad's name. She sounds like she's in so much pain. I bang my hands even harder against the door. I feel so helpless, and I hate it. Her screams continue to echo underneath the door until she suddenly becomes quiet.

I try to keep from sobbing as my thoughts darken. I don't want to lose her. I don't want to lose another mother. My body shakes uncontrollably from my fears. I am so far lost in my thoughts that Draco's calming hand to my shoulder barely even registers. I know from experiences that after awhile, everyone's voice goes hoarse from screaming that loudly. Soon one is left alone and unable to help him- or herself. Too many times, I experienced that terrible feeling of no hope.

"You son of a bitch," Dad hisses behind me.

I whirl around and watch Declan take the brunt of Dad's fist. He doesn't crumble to the ground, though. He stands tall and stares at Dad emotionlessly. If I thought it'd do any good, I'd hit him too.

"Open this damn door NOW!" Dad bellows, glaring daggers at the vampire.

"I think you'll find the door already open, Severus," Declan replies quietly.

I whirl around instantly, only to have my mouth drop at the sight in front of me.

"Hello," says a young child about four with blond ringlets and dark eyes with a wide smile.

Chapter End Notes:
Sorry for the cliffhanger. I shall explain most everything in the next chapter. :D

If you want a cute story set in the SS universe, though, check out my Halloween story, Haunted Tower.