Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy the loooong chapter. :D
Interesting Start of the Year

The night before the other students arrive, Draco and I take Angel up to the Great Hall for dinner as we've done this past week. Up until now, we've just been having dinner with Mum, Dad, Jezlyn, Professor Dumbledore, McGonagall, Remus, and Vector since they're the only ones in the castle besides us. However, tonight is the first night back for the majority of the staff. In fact, Dad says that this is likely to be the more memorable start of the year dinners that he has attended.

Setting Angel down in the chair in-between Draco and me, Angel sits in her magically charmed chair. The charm on it makes her appear bigger than she really is. In fact, she can reach her cup of juice and food without any issues. She practically looks like a big kid sitting at the table with all of us. Though, she's definitely a little kid when eating.

Most of the professors glance towards Angel when they walk in and take their seats, but they don't say anything. A few minutes later, Professor Trelawney glances at Angel. She stares at her for a few moments before glancing away and eating the rest of her food in silence. It's rather odd that we have yet to hear a prediction of a Grim or that one of us is going to die from the Divination professor.

Professor Flitwick, however, occasionally smiles down the table at Angel. Even in his own chair, one can see that he and Angel are the same height, which is rather funny since he's a lot older than she is. Catching her eye for a few seconds, they just stare at each other before Angel bites her bottom lip and shyly smiles back. Flitwick then taps his wand against the table, conjuring a green and silver snake.

We all watch Angel tilt her head from side to side at the snake in her familiar curious way. When the snake's coloring suddenly turns fuchsia, Angel starts to giggle boisterously. Her dark eyes light up in pure amusement as she laughs. We just watch her and shake our heads. She gets amused so easily.

"Whose cute kid is that?" Madam Hooch asks with a soft smirk.

"She's mine," Dad responds in his usual collected manner.

Mum glances at Dad before folding her arms across her chest. She then clears her throat when he doesn't say anything. When Dad still doesn't speak, she lightly hits him in the shoulder.

"Fine, she's mine and Aurora's daughter," he grumbles under his breath.

"Son of a goddamn Snitch, Snape, you're bludgering me, aren't you?" Hooch cries.

"Please control your language while in the presence of my daughter, Madam. She hears enough from her brothers."

"And you, Severus," Mum points out with a smirk. "Just the other day you were talking about 'that goddamn potion frustrating the hell out of me like those blasted dunderheads that we get every year who deserve to be looked at by a goddamn Mind Healer' in front of Angel."

"Can't forget the 'dammit' at the end either, Mum," I say with a wide grin. I make sure not to laugh when Dad glares at me. The doors at the other end of the room then open, gaining my attention. I immediately smile at the half-giant.

As Hagrid approaches the table, I notice Angel's eyes widen. She quickly scoots herself off her chair before I watch her run to Dad's chair. Her brown eyes are full of fear towards the friendly and smiling half-giant. She's practically shaking and hiding as best as she can into Dad's robes.

I then watch Hagrid kneel before her. Though, he still towers over her, but most people do. He flashes another smile towards her before speaking.

"Ello there," Hagrid says in his gentle and soothing voice, causing Angel to squeeze herself even more into Dad's side. "I ain't gonna hurt ya."

"He's telling the truth, my Angel. Hagrid would not hurt a soul here," Dad quietly murmurs.

"Yeah, El," I say. "Hagrid helped me get all my things for Hogwarts. Sure, he's big and scary, but he's all heart, just like Dad."

"Remind me tomorrow to deduct five points from Gryffindor, Aurora."

"Only five?" quips Mum. "You're losing your touch, old man." She then returns to her conversation with Remus, keeping a watchful eye on Angel. She and Dad have been taking turns keeping our newest little troublemaker out of danger.

Hagrid glances towards Dad before holding out his hand as one would do for a scared animal. His entire body language shows that he's rather sad that Angel is scared of him. However, he keeps trying to get her to trust him.

A crackling noise then fills the room before the charmed ceiling becomes a fierce thunderstorm. Draco and I glance towards Angel instantly, knowing that this is yet another instance of her accidental magic. We watch Dad wrap his arms around her quickly before pulling her up into his lap. He whispers something in her ear as she buries herself into his chest. The storm in the ceiling then quickly vanishes before Professor Dumbledore can even draw his wand to banish it.

"Her magic appears to be strengthening, Severus," Dumbledore quietly mentions, glancing over his spectacles at Angel.

"We've noticed," Dad replies, brushing back Angel's curls tenderly. "Declan believes that is a side effect of . . . the incident the other day."

"It's understandable that she would feel the need to protect herself." Dumbledore's blue eyes then catch Angel peeking from beneath Dad's robes. "Ah, my dear, you'll have to forgive us. Hagrid means you no harm, though." He then smiles softly when she lifts her head up higher. "In fact, I do believe that Hagrid has something for you. Do you not, Rubeus?"

I watch Dumbledore give Hagrid a pointed look before motioning back towards Angel. He's scheming something. I can just see it in his eyes. I'm pretty sure Dad can too. My eyes then narrow on Hagrid when he reaches into his jacket pocket and pull out a familiar letter.

"That's not . . ." I say before trailing off and glancing towards Draco.

Angel hesitantly reaches out for the letter before giving it to Dad. Her brown eyes then glance down at it before glancing back at Dad as if to ask him to read it to her. She soon lays her head back against his chest as Dad reads aloud.

"Dear Ms. Prince, on behalf of all of us at Hogwarts Witchcraft and Wizardry, we cordially invite you to dine with us Sunday, September 4 at the High Table for the 1995 Sorting Ceremony. Prior to dining, you shall undertake the tradition of magically entering whichever House you so desire, wearing those robes. We humbly await your answer of attendance. Signed by Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts," Dad finishes reciting. "Well, what do you say, Angel? Do you want to go?"

Angel only smiles before kissing Dad on the cheek. Her eyes on the paper give her answer.

~SS~

The next day, we all wake up extra early due to the noises coming from the nursery. Yeah, that's right. The house elves have had an entire week to finish it, but they haven't yet. Of course, their slowness has gotten on Dad's nerves so he has asked them repeatedly what is taking so long in efforts to speed things up.

According to the chief elf decorator, though, one can't rush a masterpiece so Dad is just going to need to be patient. Draco and I of course nearly die laughing when Dad looks like he is about to throttle the house elf a few seconds later. Instead of doing so, Dad gives the house elves the deadline of finishing it no later than tonight.

Now, Draco and I aren't really complaining about the girls sharing our room. In fact, we've actually grown rather used to their presence. But it's not going to be an issue anymore. I mean, the rest of the student body arrives tonight for the new term. I'm moving back into the Gryffindor dorms.

In fact, Draco and I have both decided to move into our dorms early. I mean, it's not as if we have anything better to do. Mum is taking Jezlyn to see Professor Dumbledore and get her sorted, and Dad is supervising the house elves and watching Angel. Well, that has been two hours ago, though, so who knows where everyone is now?

Sighing heavily, I sit on my bed in the Gryffindor dormitory. It feels so odd being in here all alone. But it's not as if Dad is going to let Angel out of the dungeons anytime soon after last night's fiasco in the Great Hall. And he sort of has a good point with it, too. It's not as if I can control Angel's wild magic any better than I can control mine some days or Dad can make Angel listen.

In fact, this past week since Mezra has possessed Mum or whatever, Dad seems a bit hesitant with allowing Mum near Angel for long periods of time, which I can definitely understand. However, my little sister has other ideas, though. She keeps sneaking in beside Mum and Dad in bed. It's actually rather cute. Dad tells her to stay in our room and let Mum sleep, and Angel sneaks into their bed about ten minutes later. Of course, this causes Dad to shoo her back into our room for the night, but it's too cute. This is after all the daughter of Severus Snape, Mr. I don't break rules, himself.

Yawning, I decide to lie back against my bed and sigh. On second thought, it's actually peaceful in here without anyone around. My eyes slowly close as I soon fall victim to drowsiness. Instead of fighting it, though, I allow myself to sleep. I have several hours yet before the Sorting Ceremony. What's the worst that is going to happen anyway?

~SS~

In my dream, sounds of water dripping nearby gain my attention for a moment. Glancing around, I feel as if I know this place. The gray stones are very familiar to me as is the damp atmosphere. Drawing in a breath, I breathe in the musty air. The oak door off to my right, however, opens.

"I thought I'd find you down here, old friend. Still tinkering with that potion of yours, I see."

"You'll thank me one day when you find yourself needing it," I grunt gruffly, refusing to glance towards the intruder. "I take it that this isn't a social call, though." I then wave my hand towards the steaming cauldron, banishing it immediately. Yet another attempt fails miserably to stabilize my potion. "Well, out with it, Godric. I don't have all day," I say with a loud sigh, finally glancing towards the man.

"Forgive me, old friend, but it was you who asked to see me." His green eyes then settle on me. "Is everything all right, Salazar? You seem a bit more rundown than usual."

I sigh heavily and motion for him to take a seat. I remember now why I have wished to speak with him. Clearly, at my age, my mind is attempting to leave me. I then glance towards the red-haired man and fold my arms.

"Yesterday, I had a visitor in my dungeons." I then huff angrily. "He claimed that he was sent to recover my sword as some lost artifact of the Elders. I of course immediately set him straight and informed him that my sword could not be because it is goblin made and a twin to your own."

"And?" replies Godric.

"It angered the man, causing him to draw some type of weapon on me in attempts to steal my sword." I then sigh and shake my head. "I will admit that I have never seen someone move that fast before, Godric. It was almost . . . unnatural his ability."

"I take it that he was not successful, though?"

"No," I say sighing. "I had just grabbed my sword when he leapt towards me." I then glance towards the ground before glancing back up at my old friend. "When he ran upon the blade, it was as if lightning struck him. I've never seen anything like it before. The blade emitted a faint blue glow before the man just . . . vanished in a white light. I just, well, I just stared at that spot for a few moments."

"Perhaps you inadvertently allowed your magic to seep into the blade?"

"It is possible I'll admit, but unlikely," I reply. "This was a different type of magic, Godric."

"Then I believe it is time you tell me how you came to receiving that sword. I am not as dense as you would wish me to be, old friend. You didn't get your sword from the goblins, did you?"

"No. I attempted to speak with Ragnuk, but he wished nothing to do with me." I then clench my teeth at my stupidity. I should have known that Godric would know. "I received the sword as a gift, a day after the gala."

"I see," Godric says quietly, staring at me. "If you know what's good for you, Salazar, then you'll give it back and forget all about her and her kind." Gently, he rests a kind hand on my shoulder. "My friend, I am aware that she brings you happiness, but she does so by causing pain to your wife."

"Yes, yes, you're right, friend. Thank you." I stare him straight in the green eyes and speak. "The sword will be returned to her tomorrow." I then glance away, feeling a tightening in my chest.

"It is for the best, my old friend."

~SS~

Something suddenly yanks me from my dream and back to reality. I draw in a deep breath and prepare myself. Familiar dark eyes now stare down at me. I can feel my heart racing in my chest, but I slowly sit up to face my visitor around the darkened room.

"Declan, what are you doing here?" I ask, staring at the dark-haired vampire.

"You are late to the feast, young Harry," he replies coolly.

I gulp and stare at him. I can't help it, though. Declan is a vampire, and too many Muggle movies have taught me to be wary of vampires saying the word 'feast.'

"Something troubles you." Declan then chuckles softly before slowly backing away from me.

"Yeah, well, you now know what it is," I grumble. The vampire's words then echo in my head, making sense as to why he's here. "Oh, dammit!" exclaims me before I rush out of my dormitory. I'm late for the Sorting Ceremony. That is the feast he meant. When I reach the common room two seconds later, I immediately come face to face with Declan again, causing me to jump backwards prior to falling. "Don't do that!" I yell, gently massaging my left butt cheek that is sore now.

"Forgive me, young Harry. I thought it would perhaps be prudent if I assisted you in arriving before Severus attempts to drag you into the Great Hall by your ear," Declan says, taking a step forward and offering his hand. He helps me up then and holds out a hand. "May I transport us there then?"

"Will it even work in here? I mean, Hogwarts has anti-Apparation wards—"

"Wards work on wizards. They do not, however, work on my kind." Declan then chuckles. "Well, they perhaps work on the majority of my kind, but not with my clan. And as a complementary step, Headmaster Dumbledore has added my signature to Hogwarts so that the castle knows that I am not a threat. Now, may we, young Harry? I must say I'm rather hungry." He grins ear to ear at me.

"Oh, shut up," I grumble. I'm glad he's finding my discomfort rather amusing. I grab his hand and instantly close my eyes. I feel the whoosh of air before feeling my feet touch the familiar floor of the Entrance Hall. Opening my eyes, I release a shaky breath. "I hate that. I freaking hate that," I growl, glaring at the vampire.

"Yes, yes, young wizard, now go in there," Declan says before ruffling my hair. He only laughs at my glare. "Your father's glare is much more impressive, young Harry." He then disappears, leaving me all alone.

"Goddamn vampire," I grumble before walking in. The sounds of children being sorted rush towards me, but I quickly brush it aside and walk towards the Gryffindor table. I notice Hermione and Ron talking and glancing around before they both smile at me. "Hey, guys," I say, sitting across from Neville. "What have I missed so far?"

"Not much actually," Ron says rather bored. "Well, other than Malfoy seems to be getting the cold shoulder from Dumb and Dumber." He then jerks his head towards the Slytherin table.

"Who knows, Ron? That might be good news," I reply, catching Draco's eyes for a moment. I then turn towards Hermione and Ron. "Maybe he'll become friends with someone who doesn't want to be Vol—You-Know-Who's next follower."

"From what we've seen so far, he seems to be talking to Blaise and Theo a lot," Hermione says. She then glances at me. "Professor Sinistra's sister is in Slytherin, too, by the way."

"Damn, I thought for sure I'd win that bet," I reply with a laugh. "She doesn't seem like one. Then neither does Mum." When Ron and Hermione give me a puzzled look, I explain. "We bet Jezlyn that she'd end up in another House than Slytherin. I said she'd be in Hufflepuff, and Draco said she'd be in Gryffindor. Luckily, I didn't bet twenty gallons like Malfoy did." I hear Ron snort into his goblet.

"Who is sitting next to Professor Snape, Harry?" Hermione asks suddenly.

I glance towards the High Table and snort. There sitting proud as a peacock is my little sister wearing her Slytherin robes proudly. Angel catches my eyes and waves happily before Dad forces her hand down with an exasperated look on his face.

"That's my little sister, guys."

"Whoa," half of the Gryffindor table says, staring at me in disbelief.

"You're joking, Harry. That's Snape's kid?" Seamus asks with wide eyes.

"No. I'm not." I don't know why, but I feel defensive at his remark. "I know it's odd that she's already four, guys, but she's my little sister." I then draw in a breath, feeling my temper quickly flare up. "And her name is Angel, not Snape's kid. I would appreciate it if you showed her the same amount of respect as you show me." I watch several of my housemates nod slowly, but I turn back around, grab my goblet of pumpkin juice, and take a drink.

"Good evening, good evening," Dumbledore finally says, standing up. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts or for some of you welcome to Hogwarts. We have a few changes in staffing this year. We are pleased to welcome back Professor Horace Slughorn, who will be taking over Professor Snape's practical classes, in addition to welcoming back Professor Remus Lupin, who shall be assisting Professor Sinistra in Astronomy and in Defense against the Dark Arts." Remus and a plump man wearing what appears to be graduation robes both smile and nod their head towards Dumbledore. "Finally, we welcome Declan Fiori, who shall be taking the Defense against Dark Arts post."

My eyes instantly narrow on Declan, who wears crimson robes. What has happened to that undersecretary woman that Dad and Dumbledore have talked about this summer? I then scoff. Well, this year is certainly going to be interesting. A known werewolf and a vampire are co-teaching Defense against the Dark Arts. Can this get any worse? I take another sip from my goblet before regretting that thought instantly. At this school, one would think I would know better than to ask that question. After all, Dad always could join the group.

~SS~

A little after midnight, I'm lying in my bed in the Gryffindor dorm, staring upwards. I can't fall asleep. I of course have partaken in the annual Gryffindor back-to-school party, but it hasn't felt the same as it usually does. Closing my eyes, I attempt to fall asleep for the hundredth time. However, I don't fall asleep. Instead, I listen to Seamus and others snoring. Finally, I just decide to be my usual self.

Throwing off my covers, I silently get up out of bed and open the drawer to my nightstand. I smile at the silky material of my Invisibility cloak before sneaking out of the boys' dormitory. A few seconds later in the common room, I find two familiar redheads standing in front of the portrait smiling at me as I descend down the stairs.

"Am I really that obvious?" I groan softly.

"Not obvious," George says.

"We did the same thing with Gin," Fred responds. "Going to spend the night down there then?"

I nod slowly and smile towards the rest of the Weasleys. "Thanks, guys. So this is normal then?" I ask. I watch them nod, which makes me laugh and tug on my pajama's collar. "That's good to know that I'm not some sort of oddball missing his little sister."

"Never an oddball, Harry—"

"Just a big brother," Fred says, clapping me on the back. "Between you and us, Harry, little sisters always love stories about a big scary dragons and pretty princesses."

I laugh softly before nodding. Fred and George then step aside, allowing me to continue on my way. Slipping on my Invisibility cloak, I make my way down to the dungeons. I know that I probably should inform Dad that I'm on my way and breaking the rules, but I don't want to disturb him if he's sleeping. The walk is quick, and I luckily don't meet any professors on the way.

Rounding the corner, I notice a figure standing in front of Salazar's portrait. I silently draw my wand before scoffing at the silvery blond hair. Draco, I should have known. I softly smirk before joining him. Draco instantly whirls around when I am close enough to him, but he lowers his wand once he recognizes me. My eyes narrow on the bruises to his face. However, he makes a motion for me not to speak, which I follow.

Salazar's portrait swings back, allowing us in. We quickly head towards Angel's room and sigh when we notice that Dad and Mum's bedroom door is closed. Obviously, they're asleep. We quietly open Angel's door and walk into the darkened room. After closing her bedroom door again, the candles flicker to life, revealing the smiling four-year-old who is staring at us.

"Hey, El," I say once Draco casts a silencing charm around the room. "Look who's here." I laugh with her as she giggles in response. "You're not going to tell Dad on us, are you?" When she shakes her head instantly, Draco and I smile back and move closer to her.

"Smart girl, Celes," drawls Draco as he takes a seat on the edge of her bed. He winces slightly when she touches his split lip and gives him that familiar look of 'what happened.' He doesn't respond, though. He just stares back at her and wraps an arm around her shoulder.

"Owie, 'co?" she softly asks, finally speaking.

"Yeah, it hurts a little, but I'll live, Celes."

Draco and I then glance down at her and fold our arms. Those are her third and fourth words we've heard her say. Of course, she has been trying to say more words, but for some reason or another can't. However, she shows her ambitious side and gives it all her might.

"Can you say my name, El?" I ask staring at her. I watch her cheeks puff out as she mouths my name for a few moments. "Harry, can you say Harry?" Her cheeks puff out more before she squeaks.

"Arry," she finally says barely above a whisper. Instead of lighting up with excitement at saying my name, though, she slams her fists down into her bedding and pouts.

"Ah, El, that was a good try. Don't be upset. You'll get it." I then watch her mouthing Draco's and my name repeatedly, which makes me nearly laugh. She has such determination to succeed. We've seen it before of course, but we've never seen her putting so much effort in speaking to us. I then notice her mouth another word that I catch is 'Daddy.' "You want to talk to us, don't you, El?" She nods fiercely, making her blond curls bounce on her shoulders. I then glance towards Draco, and he shrugs. "Well, then I guess we're going to help you speak."

We then go through a list of words, starting with 'Daddy.' After all, Dad doesn't need to know that 'owie' and 'co' are her third and fourth words. We can keep a secret every now and then. Once we have her saying a pretty good 'Daddy, Mummy, Draco, and Harry' without a hesitation, Draco starts to coach her to say 'Slytherin.'

Angel is an extremely smart girl. She picks up the words easily, but it's the actual saying of them that takes a few hundred or so times before she can say it. She appears to understand us just fine, which Madam Pomfrey agrees with us on. It's just the communicating that we have an issue with still.

I glance towards her new room and snort softly. For her walls, she has a landscape that seems to change with her mood and singing mermaids and dancing unicorns moving about freely. Her ceiling is bewitched just like the night sky (and the Great Hall) with dozens of twinkling stars. Her far wall has a large window that allows her to look out at Black Lake just as there is one in the Slytherin common room. It's so like Angel to have an embroidered snake in her Slytherin-themed bedding and Gryffindor-themed curtains surrounding her bed that has a lion charmed onto it. In fact, the last time I saw this room, she had toys coming out of everywhere. The only toys that I see now are her large Slytherin-colored unicorn standing next to her huge Gryffindor-colored dragon. There's no doubt about it. We're so going to spoil Angel rotten. I then glance towards Draco when it suddenly becomes silent.

"Draco's good Slytherin," Angel says softly before hugging him.

"Thanks, Celes. I suppose that's your way of wanting to know what happened. Am I right?"

Angel glances at me before giving me that 'come back here' look. I roll my eyes, but walk back and sit down beside her. I have to admit that I'm curious as to what happened to Draco too.

"You see, my real father was a bad wizard, Celes. He fell out of favor with this nasty dark wizard so that dark wizard had his bad followers murder my father and mother. That's why I live with you, Harry, Severus, and Professor Sinistra now. My two former friends, though, well, they're following in their fathers' footsteps by wanting to join the dark wizard who killed my parents."

"Bad wizards," Angel replies.

"Yeah, bad wizards," Draco responds with a sigh. "So my former friends decided to teach me a lesson tonight and tried to hurt me. So I got into a bit of a fight with them to defend myself. They split my lip and gave me this black eye." He then leans in towards her. "But I got them back with a rather nasty curse that made them squeal like the little pigs they are."

"I don't think Dad would be happy to hear you telling El that, Draco." He then glances at me.

"Severus understands that if someone jumps you from behind, you do whatever you have to do to make sure he doesn't mess with you again," he responds before glancing away. "It's just how things are done in Slytherin, little brother."

I open my mouth to retort, but soft voices outside the door interrupt me. Draco and I quickly extinguish the candles nonverbally and glance towards the door in efforts to listen in. We quickly recognize Dad's voice, but the second voice is a bit softer. Luckily, though, the walls become translucent enough so we can see and hear Dad. I know I should perhaps be a bit wary of this development, but I have to admit that I'm horribly curious.

"No. It's no issue, Declan," Dad says a few moments later, sitting in his chair across from Declan. His rich baritone voice carries into the room. "Aurora, however, is finally asleep so she won't be joining us. Now, I take it that you've discovered the reasoning."

"I have, Severus. It is quite disconcerting that I was not aware earlier." The vampire then sighs. "It appears that Mezra faked the possession from the dark wizard who killed young Harry's parents. Due to her . . . status, she perhaps was aware of some unknown connection between Harry and the dark wizard that we would not have noticed. Luckily, for you, you and the others are now able to sever the link between the two before that dark wizard ever learns of it."

"Occlumency is quite difficult for wizards to grasp, especially young ones," Dad replies before sighing. "We have the necessary level of trust between us, but I am unsure if it is even possible for me to teach him properly. I had years of practice starting when I was five, and, well, Slytherins are known for being natural Occlumens."

"Yes, that is true. However, I believe you are the only one who can teach him, Severus." Declan then glances towards the bookshelf before speaking again. "Aurora believed that day that Harry was at risk, so she willingly gave herself as a sacrifice to sever the connection. That caused the protections placed on her to lower, allowing Mezra to gain access to Aurora's mind. I doubt I need to inform you of this, but that means that Mezra has had access to Aurora for nearly two months now without us detecting her presence. Though, that is not all I found. Your witch healer found traces of a rare magical herb in Aurora's blood. She believes that is the reason Aurora mentioned young Harry's mother that day at Grimmauld. I would bet a month of feeding that Mezra has somehow been slipping this into Aurora's food." He then sighs heavily again. "And I would also bet that Aurora has been hiding the fact that she's been occasionally suffering hallucinations. The herb is known to cause such effects."

"I see," responds Dad with steepled fingers. "Have you learned of any reason why this Syrene woman would induce and later age my daughter?"

"I have, Severus, and how she did it. As I'm sure you've been informed, wizard wards have no effect on my clan. We are able to use a different way of travel, which is much like your Apparation. Syrene likely entered the room when we were all discussing Aurora. I would not have noticed her presence due to her being a former member of the Council. She induced Aurora by giving her a potion laced with black and blue cohosh herbs."

"Those herbs are native to America."

"Yes, well, I'm rather certain that distance had no effect on her, Severus," Declan drawls.

"Why would she alter my daughter's DNA to make her a pureblood?"

"Naturally, to strengthen Angel's magic," he answers. "You are of the Prince family line. Thousands of magical families know of the tremendous magical strength of the Princes. You yourself have demonstrated over the years that strength on numerous occasions. In fact, if your blood were pure, you would rival Merlin perhaps."

"I am not so certain about that, but what does my bloodline have to do with Angel?"

"The Sinistra line from her father's side is powerful enough. It perhaps is as strong as a Weasleys or Malfoys. But it is her mother's bloodlines that give her that magical strength that you no doubt have noticed. Syra is . . . of a short bloodline. Without divulging too many family secrets, I wish you to know that it is because of Syra that the Black Shroud is hunting both Aurora and now Angel."

"What makes Syra so special?"

"I cannot divulge that. I am sorry, Severus, but I am bound by secrecy." He then sighs. "Aurora is not even aware of it. Though, she soon will . . . notice changes. It is nearly time for such things to occur. Now, that is all I shall say on that matter. In response to why Syrene would age Angel, I would hazard the guess it was to ensure that Angel could instinctively protect herself from harm if Mezra attempted to go after her. My evidence is that the other day when we learned that Mezra was in control, it was Angel who was able to drive Mezra out of Aurora. Though, I would also guess that Syrene was attempting to do something unexpected. It was the supreme law of the Council not to interfere with the lowers. However, Syrene did just that with Angel."

"Is there any way to protect them, Declan?"

"Not that I am aware, but there was a rumor amongst my clan of a weapon that could kill someone like Mezra. However, it is an ancient legend amongst my people, so we don't put much faith into it." Declan then rises. "I shall see myself out." He bows his head respectfully towards Dad. "Rest well, Severus." He then disappears in the familiar way, making the room's walls become solid again.

Draco and I glance at each other. Well, now we know how it happened. I have to admit that I don't feel any better, though. Angel, however, distracts us by 'walking' her teddy bear in front of us.

"Yeah, yeah, El, we're going." We then snuggle closer to our little sister and soon fall asleep.