Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:
Betaed by Dream Painter
The Harry Potter Dress-Up Challenge

Faces set in artificial sneers, skeletons painted on black clothing, and princesses parading around in pinks and violets. It was the Hogwarts' Halloween Ball and Harry Potter was furious.

Harry's friends had thought he would be excited to know that they had set up a little Halloween Dress-Up Challenge. The Harry Potter Dress-Up Challenge. The boy frowned against the mask, letting the swell and ebb of music to flow around him.

It was a real festive evening and he could tell that everyone was having a good time. Even Neville Longbottom had been praised for the imaginative costume he had created – a sweater that blossomed with real flowers, the petals fading and then dropping to the ground only to be replaced minutes later by fresh blooms. It really was a beautiful piece.

Harry refused to admit that he was enjoying himself. He inched through the crowd of students until he reached the table of punch and other assorted drinks. A man he did not recognize served him a drink.

“I hear the Dress-Up Challenge will be something to see,” the man commented, his voice silky and dark.

Harry shrugged. “I guess,” he said grudgingly. “Personally, I think it's a bit over the top.”

“Indeed.”

It was only then that Harry placed the voice with it's owner, Severus Snape. He nodded his head and lifted his glass.

“Evening, Professor,” he said before walking away.

= = =

Twenty minutes later, the Dress-Up was set to begin and people were starting to change out of their ballroom costumes and into their “Harry Potter” ones. Luna Lovegood wore a Gryffindor tie around her head – like Seamus did sometimes – and she had spelled a lightning bolt to pulse in gold and pink on her forehead.

Harry spit his drink out, some of it coming out his nose when he caught sight of Professor Severus Snape walking onto the stage. He wore what looked like a re-sized students uniform, complete with gold and maroon tie, and he had cut his hair. Harry was pretty sure it was only a spell, but the illusion was startling. The Professor's hair was short and wild, spiked in all directions and not at all oily. He had a spider-web thin scar that looked like an exact duplicate of Harry's own.

The Boy-Who-Lived swallowed hard. There was no way he was going to live down this evening.

Ever.

= = =

“You looked... good out there Professor,” Harry acknowledged the man, who had returned to his previous outfit. “I think out of everyone, you deserved to win.”

Snape shrugged, holding the golden prize up under the glaring lights. “I have followed your every move for over three years, Mister Potter and I felt it only fitting that I should be rewarded in some way.”

Harry's eyebrows raised. “That's... good.” He felt more than a little creeped out. “Happy Halloween to you, sir.”

“To you as well, Mister Potter,” Snape dipped his head. “See you in class tomorrow.”

Harry simply nodded.

The End.