Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:
Betaed by DreamPainter
Chapter 1

Harry threw his sweatshirt down on the bench. He had just caught the Snitch in a match against Ravenclaw and he was exhausted. Throwing on a clean t-shirt that he had stashed in his locker, Harry left the dressing room and started the long walk up hill to the main castle.

A small group of students leaving the Quidditch pitch were just within hearing range and Harry listened with barely any interest as they discussed the day's match.

"Slimey-Snapey was giving the Ravenclaw seeker a real eye," a Hufflepuff sixth-year said, changing the subject. "Bet he's got a thing for younger students... I've seen him staring at that Gryffindor girl, Hermione Granger more than once. I bet there's something going on there." The boy made suggestive motions with his hands.

Harry felt his blood boil, a buzz filled his ears. They could say whatever they liked about Severus Snape, but Hermione was off limits. Speeding up, the Gryffindor reach the group. He tugged on the Hufflepuff's arm, holding him back.

"Hey!" the boy cried. "Let go of me!"

"No. Now shut up and listen," Harry hissed in his face. "You don't talk about Hermione Granger that way..." He gave it some thought. "Or Professor Snape! Do you hear me!" He gave the boy a shake for good measure.

"Alright, alright!" the Hufflepuff looked close to tears. "I won't do it again, I swear."

Harry let the boy go and then stalked towards the main entrance wanting to get as far away from the boy as possible. He did not see Severus Snape watching the entire exchange from several hundred yards away. The man was slightly hidden behind a clump of bushes.

Severus felt stunned that the Potter boy had stood up for him. It was almost... almost like something Lily would have done. A long-dead memory stirred and Severus smiled as he continued towards the castle.

Harry really was his mother's son, after all.

The End.