Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:
Betaed by DreamPainter
Phobia

Harry Potter, savior of the Wizarding world, reached out a hand and grasped the shaking wrist of Severus Snape.

"I-I-I... I can't," Snape forced the words out through chattering teeth. "Please."

Harry felt his heart ache at the plea, but his grip remained firm.

"Just a little further now," Harry reassured in a soothing tone. "Almost done."

Severus inched forward, his feet barely leaving the ground. His eyes were closed and his chin was trembling with fear. Harry watched the writhing ground, making sure that none of it's occupants got too close to the Professor.

"A few more feet," Harry said as he cautiously lead the way.

Severus breathed in through his nose. "Blasted rain," he muttered.

"Yes. Worms do tend to come out more after a real downpour," Harry agreed.

Severus flinched at the word 'worms' and Harry wanted to kick himself. It was obvious that the Professor was deathly afraid of the pink, slimy creatures. Unsavory as they were, Harry could not understand what would prompt someone to fear for their life when around the 'squash'-sized creatures.

Three more steps and then they were across the swarming bed of active worms.

"There. Done," Harry released his Professor's arm.

Severus opened his dark eyes and scanned the ground around his feet. "Good..." He shot Harry a suspicious glare. "I would appreciate it if you would not mention this to anyone. I don't like to broadcast."

Harry smiled, holding up his hands. "I won't, I promise."

Snape looked unconvinced. "If one of your friends so much as tries anything 'funny' involving worms, I shall expel the whole of Gryffindor House," the potions master threatened.

Harry doubted that even Snape had that much pull with the Headmaster, but he understood the defensiveness. If the situations had been reversed he would not have trusted Snape to keep his greatest fear a secret.

Harry looked his teacher directly in the eye. "I swear. This will never be mentioned again."

Severus studied him for a moment, as if waiting for some tell that would betray the statement as a lie, but evidently he found nothing.

"Fine," Severus nodded. "Good day to you, Mister Potter."

Without another word they parted ways. Harry headed towards where Neville was working in the Green Houses, and Severus Snape, carefully watching the ground for any sign of movement, made his way to the castle entrance

The End.